Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
So, I just bought a Series X this weekend from Best Buy. Couldn't just buy the system outright and the only way to get it was to do the $35/month deal that comes with two years of Game Pass Ultimate. So, I got the system, an extra controller, the 1TB memory card and rechargeable batteries for the controllers. As someone who has not had an Xbox system since the original Xbox, here are my thoughts after one weekend with the Series X. As a caveat regarding my impressions, I have been a PlayStation person every generation and have been very invested in that ecosystem. So, I think that my perceptions may be sort of clouded by that long-term experience.

Positives:
  • The best thing that I can say about my purchase is GamePass, GamePass, GamePass. Holy Crap!! This is amazing. I can't believe the number of games on there that I have either previously purchased from PSN or have been on my list of games that I want to buy. New releases, classic games... all downloadable. Really amazing. I have played a bit of Forza Horizon, Flight Simulator and (I hate to say it) MLB: The Show. (I got a kick out of seeing the Sony logo and PlayStation symbols pop up on the screen!). (But, I have really been sucked into Ori and the Blind Forest. What a beautiful, amazing experience that game has been.) I never "got" all the GP accolades before. Now, I get it. The value here will more than make up for the cost of the Xbox just based upon not having to buy all of these games and future releases that I would have purchased on PSN.
  • The ease of adding the 1TB memory expansion to the console. Just stick the little card in the back of the machine? Really? No covers to pop off? No screws to remove? No "spacers" to space? Really makes it simple.
  • Quick Resume? Yes! Great feature! Hopefully, Sony adds this feature to PS5 in a future update.
  • The Xbox app made setting up the Series X a breeze. Reminded me of how Amazon has you set up an Alexa device. Super easy.
Negatives:
  • The controller. I really do not like it. For one thing, I am just used to having the sticks in line, with the D-pad being above the left stick. It is just my muscle memory, but I find that I am having trouble getting used to the difference. That may change in time, but for now, I keep missing the left stick and can't find the D-pad without looking down. The D-pad design itself is not great for me either and I don't get a good feel with it. I have seen posts from people about how the DualSense cramps their hands. Well, for me, the Xbox controller is not comfortable. Personally, the DualSense's longer handles and triggers feels better to me. The Xbox controller seems more compact. It is also much lighter than the DualSense, giving it a "cheaper" feel. The texture on it is nice, though. Finally, the regular rumble versus the haptics is the real killer. I miss the "full" haptics and resistive triggers on my DualSense. Hopefully, MS adds some similar features to a controller down the road.
  • The Xbox interface. I am having trouble finding things and navigating the "tile" system on the Series X. I don't think it is as intuitive as the PS5 UI (Then again, I miss the PS3/PS4 cross-media bar, as well!)
  • This is another controller issue, but I hate the small buttons for pausing and sharing . The DualSense "Options" and "Create" button are easier to find quickly without looking.
  • Achievements vs. Trophies. Trophies win -- hands down. I am not a "trophy hunter" by any stretch. But, I do look at the trophy list and I enjoy trying to get as many as I can on games I enjoy. With Gamerscore, I just don't "get it." There is a maximum Gamerscore on each game with a running overall Gamerscore. But, I think the simplicity of the trophy system just makes more sense and I feel like progress in each game and overall trophy counts are easier to conceptualize for me. With the way Gamerscore works, I don't see going after those achievements in the same way that I do for trophies.
  • As an aside, it seems that my XBox is running a bit "hotter" than by PS5 when I put my hand over the top vent. It is still whisper quiet though (as is my PS5, contrary to some reports out there of loud PS5s).

And... after one weekend, I am super happy I bought the Series X, but my experience so far is a bit more negative than positive. Again, this may simply be due to the fact that I am not used to the Xbox interface and system. But, comparing it to my PS5 (not taking GP into account), the PS5 comes out ahead for me for the reasons I listed above.

Not sure if anyone has any suggestions for me to make my experience better, but anything would be appreciated! :)

Also, for those of you who have sort of done the same thing -- gone from PlayStation (and PS5 specifically this generation) -- then bought an X/S, how have your experiences been?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Coming off a PS1,2,3,4 and briefly a 5 from a roommate I dove into XSX bc of GPU and have enjoyed it a lot. The value is the selling point.

I think with enough time you'll grow accustomed to the UI and even the controller. It's just new to you for now, but I do kinda miss the PS5 haptics as the vibrations can feel a little clunky and "outdated" on my xsx controller coming from the dualsense and even my iPhone.

Glad you're happy with the purchase. Feel free to join the XGS OT community

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
I swore off Microsoft after my 360 RROD woes.

I decided I wanted a Series X after enjoying the hell out of the new Forza.

Now I find myself buying Series X games to take advantage of the VRR. My PS5 still gets plenty of play, though.

Overall it's a sweet console.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Glad you're enjoying it. Can't relate to your controller gripes at all (except for the d-pad, it is way too clicky), I think the Xbox controller is still the most comfortable controller ever made (I think the PS5 controller is actually a step down from PS4 in terms of comfort, it feels like a loaf of bread to me) but you do you. A lot of your criticisms, like Achievements vs Trophies, seems like they're based off of just being more used to one ecosystem than the other. People who are more invested in Achievements generally have the exact same criticism for trophies.

At any rate, hope you enjoy the console and the promised land that is Game Pass!

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just surprised my series x still crashes to the dashboard every 10 or so times I launch a game.

At least navigating its menus isn't painfully slow and clunky like on the bone x.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
I'm just surprised my series x still crashes to the dashboard every 10 or so times I launch a game.

At least navigating its menus isn't painfully slow and clunky like on the bone x.

Mine just did this the first time the other day and then a second time a few days later. I was like whoa. I was worried it was my Series X.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Game Pass is a huge selling point, but as someone that's had previous Xbox consoles, being able to spin up a substantial amount of my old library is another killer feature - if Sony even gets halfway to MS's level with their BC implementation (and the jury is very much out there, what with PS3 still being cloud-only), it'll be huge.

Playing Mirror's Edge at 4K 60FPS on a console without a remaster/rerelease is insane.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I'm in a similar position to you and I'll echo your comments on achievements.

Maybe it's just a case of "what you're used to" but I just don't care about chasing achievements at all, whereas I almost always look into the trophies for every game I play on PS. In fact I turned the notification off my Xbox because I'd rather just not be bothered by it.

I also agree with your response to GP though. It is pretty mind-blowing when you first load up that app and realise you can play all those games straight away.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Can't help but agree with the OS stuff- whenever I use my buddy's console I get a bit lost looking for things. The amount of options and information on every page feels overwhelming sometimes, too.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I played a lot of PS2 and then eventually made the jump to Xbox, then split the gen with a 360 and PS3. It takes an adjustment period to go from one controller to the other after you're used to it. I don't think it's a matter of better or worse (in terms of stick layout) as much as what you're used to. I suspect in a few weeks you'll be fully comfortable with either controller.

The UI is pretty customizable so you can clear out crap you don't need and also make the My Games section easier to get to as that's likely where you'll want to be most of the time.

As you say, Gamepass is the star of the show for Xbox and it's why I went with a Series X rather than a PS5.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I just did it at the beginning of this month and overall, I'm super happy I did it. The biggest takeaways are

- Game Pass is an undeniable system seller that will continue you get better and better, so if you do it too, lock in 3 years!

- Coming from the PS5's home UI, the Xbox dashboard is a really confusing mess. It's not unmanageable but I'm still struggling/figuring it out about 3 weeks later.

- It is really hard to go from the DualSense to the Series X controller. It's not poorly made or anything but it really feels like… a toy? I dunno. But I want to make one in the design lab thing!

- Quick Resume is great when it works! I'm sure they'll continue to make it more and more functional.

Would recommend if you can swing the purchase price to have both consoles!

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Be sure to look up Microsoft Rewards and get on that. Simply playing games will earn you points, and those points can be converted into gift cards to be used on stuff at the MS store or digital games.

I think your controller issues will ease over time. I haven't played a Playstation regularly since the PS2, so I'm sure if I got a PS5, I'd be all sorts of pissed at the controller.

Also, if you don't like the tiles system, start pins and put games/apps you use often there. Then, you just need to tap the Xbox button, press right, and most of the stuff you want is right there.

Enjoy your new system!

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Being to switch between multiple games on the fly is a game-changer. I'd be very surprised if Sony aren't developing something similar for the PS5 OS. Actually annoys me a little I can only play one game at a time on my PS5, guess I've been spoilt lol

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
You'll get used to the UI and maybe even prefer it once you've customised it to your liking. As that's the big benefit over PS5: customisation. In comparison PS5 still doesn't have folders yet for example.

It's always difficult to get used to a new controller once you've been used to another for so long. But you'll forget about it soon enough once you've played a few games.

Enjoy digging in to Game Pass. Can't even imagine how overwhelming it must be having access to that catalogue for the first time as a newbie :o

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I find the UI in the ps5 to be much less intuitive than in xbox. Also you can try customizing your dashboard and put the things you want there

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
With screenshots/videos, another way to do it is to use the guide button: if you are struggling to hit the button,
Press this and it will actually take the screenshot/video at the point of you doing so - but not save it.
On screen you will get the option to take screenshot or video - this will actually save it.

Navigation tips : use the mini guide that pops up - there is little need to go to the main dashboard.
Any game or app you have is found inside "my games and apps" which is the first option here.

Create some groups (these are folders that you can put a pin tile into)
You can also pin specific games/apps to the home page, where they will always be, alongside "social" things related to the game/app.

If like me you are more of a searcher (I don't do organised desktop icons or iphone screens)
At the bottom of the mini-guide you will find the search - this will search your installs, owned games, and the store at any place you need it - I often just search for something by name as I have a large library.

You've probably see the xbox app a bit already, but from there you can boot games that are installed and/or install them.
You can use the search here too and boot the game directly on the Xbox.

Last edited:

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Have said this in a few threads but I have always been basically Sony only despite buying all consoles in the past. This time around I started with mostly ps5 but slowly switched over to xsx to the point now I haven't turned my ps5 on in months.

The cons you have are almost identical to mine at the start. The ui is pretty ugly but at the same time you're just so accustomed to PlayStations that things will be difficult no matter what at first. I'm used to it now, it still could be better but it's not as bad as you I think once you get used to it. I actually love the controller though. I have the elite which feels amazing but it has some quality issues.

Astronomer

Aug 22, 2019
Welcome back to xbox then!

About 2 of your negatives:

* The IU is customizable. I suggest you to learn how to change the tiles, groups, etc..After that, maybe, you will enjoy the UI even more than PS
* Achievements. I know, it is cooler to see throphies but, but, I would say something that, maybe, will put the achievements system not like a negative, but only neutral/different:

Thanks to the score, the obsession with completing a game disappears. Making 1000G or making 990G changes little, and for those who fall victim to completism, the fact that you don't need to complete a specific game 100% to get a high score, makes you freer.

Anyway, I find that your cons weigh less than the pros, honestly.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
Got my first Xbox this gen having been on PlayStation my whole gaming life. I prefer the UI of the PS4 but I also prefer the idea of continuity in terms of the UI and I'm happy they didn't start from scratch with the Series UI ( I really hated having to wait for features to come back from the previous console). Quick Resume is amazing too. I was also surprised you could pick your own custom profile pic on Xbox, I was so used to paying for profile pics on PlayStation that I was pleasantly surprised. Game Pass (in addition to Bethesda and Obsidian) is the real gem that got me to get an Xbox and I don't regret it, it even ended up being better than it sounded for me at least there's just so much to play on Game Pass.

The backward compatibility support is also incredible I have been rebuying games I already own on PS3 to play them on the Series X so I don't have to pull out my PS3.

In terms of the controller it took me awhile to get used to it especially the face buttons, I would hit the wrong buttons during quick time events for awhile but I got used to it and I now I actually really like the Series controller and prefer it to the DualShock 4.

Last edited:

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Everything you need shows up by hitting the Xbox button. I never use the Home Screen for anything ever. Once you configure your Xbox button to how you want it's the best UI out of all 3 for me. You can create a party, invite 10 people and launch your game in seconds

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I'm in a similar position to you and I'll echo your comments on achievements.

Maybe it's just a case of "what you're used to" but I just don't care about chasing achievements at all, whereas I almost always look into the trophies for every game I play on PS. In fact I turned the notification off my Xbox because I'd rather just not be bothered by it.
As someone who has used both Xbox and PlayStation systems extensively, I don't understand a preference for one over the other. What's the difference?

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
The XSX and PS5 consume about the same amount of power and thus output the same amount of heat. Don't think that running silent and effectively removing waste heat is a negative. The cooling system is doing its job.

Common misconception I guess. All those videos where someone points a temperature gun at a vent and think it means anything (remember PS5 heatsink revision drama?)

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can customize both the guide and the UI. You might want to get on that. And always check your achievements in the guide and not from the home screen.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Quick Resume seems to be a bit of a gamble for me. Sometimes I'll go days without playing a game and it'll pick up right where I've paused it. Other times I'll turn the system off for an hour and then it'll load up the game from scratch when I turn it back on.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to why it works - it's just 50/50 at the moment. Hopefully they continue to improve it over time.

KoopDogg1

Dec 22, 2021
Canada
I've always ended up owning both consoles in past generations and this one is no different.

I started with the PS4 last gen because of the terrible Xbox One reveal but then moved back into the MS ecosystem with the One X.

I started this gen with a Series X and got a PS5 over the holiday to use for their exclusives only.

Game Pass has changed everything for me. I'm spending less on games over the course of the year but find myself playing more games overall and experimenting with different games or genres I likely wouldn't purchase outright.

I also prefer MS's approach to their library from past generations. The access to old games is seamless where Sony has obviously been far behind with this stuff.

I did have to ship my PS5 in for repairs early on, so that's likely tainted my view however I do feel like the Series X is the more "premium" well built machine. It's smooth, quiet and reliable with zero issues on my end.

I prefer the Xbox controller for how it feels in my hands every day of the week, although the haptics on the Dual Sense are nice. I wish the LB / RB and D pad on Xbox wasn't so clicky but it's a minor thing.

The UI is something you'll likely get used to as you spend more time there. My thoughts on that and the achievement / trophy system have changed based on where I spend most of my time gaming. I think they are both fine.

Babu93

Feb 9, 2021
Sort the things you need onto groups and customise your guide so everything is in easy reach.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
The controller. I really do not like it. For one thing, I am just used to having the sticks in line, with the D-pad being above the left stick. It is just my muscle memory, but I find that I am having trouble getting used to the difference.
You'll get used to it. I navigate between Sony and Nintendo controllers without problem. But I don't play the same game on them so no muscle memory involved.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has used both Xbox and PlayStation systems extensively, I don't understand a preference for one over the other. What's the difference?
There is non really. It's just what you're used to. I'm someone who got a PS5 having not had a Sony console since the PS2 and I don't really care about trophies. In fact, I find the lay out of trophies a mess compared to how easy it is to see your achievements.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if anyone has any suggestions for me to make my experience better, but anything would be appreciated! :)

1. You can get a Brook Wingman XB to use other controllers on the Series X. A lot of them.
2. Xbox One controllers have longer handles, and they work natively.
3. Xbox Elite 2 controller if you can. With a extended warranty.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm always a big proponent of these so I'll recommend them again - if you're really not getting on with the controller then invest in a Brook adaptor and use whatever controller you want on your consoles. Totally lag free.

I bought a Brook Wingman XB recently which lets you use any controller on the Xbox. I bought it so that I could use my PS4 Taiko drums on Game Pass Taiko no Tatsujin but it works with most other controllers too. Played a few rounds of Halo Infinite with a Switch Pro Controller for a giggle.

You can get versions for each console. I've got multiple for PlayStation so I can use my 360 arcade stick or my Xbox Elite controller on PS4 etc.

edit: lol neoak

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
Use the pin system. it completely negates any issues with the UI as you can just pin anything you want on the home screen. People always seem to ignore this.

modsbox

Oct 28, 2017
  • Achievements vs. Trophies. Trophies win -- hands down. I am not a "trophy hunter" by any stretch. But, I do look at the trophy list and I enjoy trying to get as many as I can on games I enjoy. With Gamerscore, I just don't "get it." There is a maximum Gamerscore on each game with a running overall Gamerscore. But, I think the simplicity of the trophy system just makes more sense and I feel like progress in each game and overall trophy counts are easier to conceptualize for me. With the way Gamerscore works, I don't see going after those achievements in the same way that I do for trophies.
I've had both systems since launch, and overall your comments-- both positive and negative-- are strikingly similar. Gamepass is fantastic. But past that, I prefer the controller, the UI and yes the trophy system on PS.

The trophies insight is something that I don't think gets talked about enough. Though I'm also not a trophy hunter, on Playstation I feel a genuine urge to get the platinum trophy for my favorite games. I also like how the trophies themselves have grades. It just makes it... much more interesting to get them.

But especially the platinum. I just don't see any real motivation on Xbox side to actually completely finish a game, when there isn't a platinum to go for, and getting that last really difficult or time consuming trophy just... gives you a few more gamerscore. My gamerscore or on PS side the number of trophies I have doesn't matter to me. What does is that I've platinumed my favorite games. It becomes kind of an expression of what games I appreciate most, if that makes sense. If I really enjoy a game, I feel like I owe it to the devs and to myself to earn it. Unless it has some ridiculous requirements.

And I don't think we're alone in making that observation. Hop on over to the Returnal OT (or the returnal subreddit) and look at just how many people proudly post a screencap of their platinum popping on that game. It's a real achievement. And there's really no equivalent on Xbox.

Oct 27, 2017
I've always been a multi console owner (except last gen, when I had PS4 only, but I primarily gamed on PC) since the 16 bit days and for me, it's pretty simple this gen:

From a hardware/controller perspective, I prefer PS5. From an ecosystem perspective, I prefer Xbox. Of the two, I primarily game on Series X because of Game Pass and Microsoft Rewards.

number8888

Oct 27, 2017
Your feelings about the controller is same as mine. Prefer the d-pad/left stick placement for the DualShock/Sense to the other controllers. You'll get used to it though as I have. I can switch between both pretty easily now.

Just to note that XSX being hotter actually means the cooling system is doing a better job getting rid of heat. There's no doubt that it has a better cooling solution than the PS5.

moriquendi

Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing how similar our experience is with the reverse experience. I haven't picked up a PS5 - but my list of negatives was pretty much the same as your on the PS4. Obviously the big positives were the exclusive games and the free games offered by PS+.

Similarly to you I didn't enjoy the PS4 controller (was too slight feeling and I wasn't used the the alignment of the slicks, felt the menu was not terribly intuitive, and I definitely prefer achievements.

Most of the negatives I simply put down to familiarity - I "get" the achievements, controller, and menu because it's what I spent nearly all my time on. For the first while playing the PS4 quicktime events would give me a headache with just the different button layout.

Aurora

Jul 22, 2018
Lemuria
If I recall correctly I don't think Quick Resume is actually possible on PC/PS5 due to the way the Xbox OS functions (correct me if my understanding or reasoning is wrong) - games on Xbox run in a virtual machine and when they get suspended a save state of the game is created (in a similar vein to emulation).

ZeroCoin

Oct 26, 2017
I did the same thing recently. The xbox had been my primary console through the original xbox and the 360 generations, but they lost me after the disaster launch of the xbox one. I never bought an xbox one and switched my primary system over to the PS4 and eventually a PS5 at launch. The backwards compatibility support for MS convinced me to pick up a series x. I probably would've picked up an S if it had a disc drive and my giant 360 library on disc could've been used on it. Overall my experience was similar, game pass, quick resume, and back compat is very nice, but the controller and UI feel like big steps back. I shared a much bigger breakdown of what I found to be positives and negatives in the xbox series OT.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
1. You can get a Brook Wingman XB to use other controllers on the Series X. A lot of them.
2. Xbox One controllers have longer handles, and they work natively.
3. Xbox Elite 2 controller if you can. With a extended warranty.

I'm always a big proponent of these so I'll recommend them again - if you're really not getting on with the controller then invest in a Brook adaptor and use whatever controller you want on your consoles. Totally lag free.

I bought a Brook Wingman XB recently which lets you use any controller on the Xbox. I bought it so that I could use my PS4 Taiko drums on Game Pass Taiko no Tatsujin but it works with most other controllers too. Played a few rounds of Halo Infinite with a Switch Pro Controller for a giggle.

You can get versions for each console. I've got multiple for PlayStation so I can use my 360 arcade stick or my Xbox Elite controller on PS4 etc.

edit: lol neoak
Echoing both of these. I use a Wingman XB to use my DualSense on the Series X and I absolutely love it.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
As an aside, it seems that my XBox is running a bit "hotter" than by PS5 when I put my hand over the top vent. It is still whisper quiet though (as is my PS5, contrary to some reports out there of loud PS5s).
Set it to energy saving mode, instant on mode is not that good tbh and yeah, it'll keep your console warm for no good reason.

Agreed about the UI, it's really weird and unintuitive for new Xbox users like me. Even the PS5 UI is more intuitive and let's not mention the PS4 UI, which was even better.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I highly recommend downloading Duckstation, PPSSPP and Flycast for PSX, PSP and Dreamcast games on the Series X

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Each pros and cons. Power and graphics are proven to not be the difference factor.
Gamepass is the advantage of Xbox.
DualSense is the advantage of PS5.

Oct 27, 2017
My XSX has been perfect. Game pass and a bad experience with a noisy PS4 made the console decision this generation super easy.

Bill Gaitas

Oct 25, 2017
If I recall correctly I don't think Quick Resume is actually possible on PC/PS5 due to the way the Xbox OS functions (correct me if my understanding or reasoning is wrong) - games on Xbox run in a virtual machine and when they get suspended a save state of the game is created (in a similar vein to emulation).
The decision to make so that everything runs on it's own VM was probably the best thing Microsoft did back in 2013 when designing the Xbox One, Quick Resume is just sublime.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personally I like the Series X much more than any of my other consoles, easily the gaming device that gets the most use in my household besides PC. Suspending multiple games is by far the best feature about this console, even with a few hiccups along the way it's still an undeniable selling point that the PS5 is sorely missing.

The UI is kinda what you make of it, it has some customization settings that can really help, it's not ideal but I find it far more usable than the bare bones approach Sony took with the PS5. Both my Series X and PS5 digital editions are dead silent while playing games, the Series X likely runs hotter by design and is nothing to be worried about.

Both the controller and achievement trophy aspects of it is completely arbitrary to me, they are both solutions to the same problems and it comes down to preference. Generally I like Microsoft's controllers more because I prefer their layout and they feel much better built compared to the controllers I have had from Sony, but there arguments to be made for both being good.

The DualSense is the best controller Sony has made in my opinion, but I still do not prefer over the Series X controller, the layout is still not to my preference and I feel like the haptics doesn't add much in the third party games I have tried on it.

And then there's Game Pass, nothing out there even comes close to offering the value it has given me since getting my Series X day 1, every month there's something I want to play, new and old.