What do you think is true by 2024 Xmas Period ?

• Sony releases a PS5Pro

Votes: 80 57.1%
  • Nintendo releases a new console

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • They both release (!!)

Votes: 19 13.6%
  • Nothing, wake me up in 2025

Votes: 38 27.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

carl_sandland

May 31, 2019
This is of "my uncle's cousin nephew's son" sort of thing but I found it odd enough to share as both rumors are against current expectations.
I was at an ebgames store (gamestop) in australia today and the manager claimed to have been at a 'global corporate meeting' six weeks ago and strongly implied to me that;
1. The PS5Pro WON'T be out this year.
2. The Switch2 WILL be out this year, and a direct would announce that soon.
Has anyone else heard the same? That's the opposite of what I had assumed to be the case.
Probably wack a poll up ;)

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hi, game developer who used to work at Gamestop here.

They don't know jack shit.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I'd take it all with a grain of salt. I think the PS5 Pro has a better chance of actually coming out this year, but it seemed like it got a pretty cold reception at GDC, so it wouldn't surprise me if they put it off until 2025. I think the ¥ being in the shitter is going to play a part in both console releases, though.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
People at the second to bottom ring of the pole don't know or are clued into anything top level, MONTHs in advanced no less

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
If that person was at a meeting of such scale where such info was given out, they wouldn't be the first person to leak it, especially something from six weeks prior. Whether they're right or not is irrelevant as it would just be guesswork, they're talking out their ass

Anecdotally, I have had two friends manage Gamestops here in the states over the years, and the only info they ever found out "early" was from marketing materials or shit entered into their inventory system-- and it was never anything important or even ultimately noteworthy.

Managers at these chains are mostly just a lateral move from the normal employees, and even head/district management are so far down the food chain that I doubt they're ever privy to sensitive info.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
I could semi believe the PS5 Pro one.

I'm sure many will correct me (Please don't @ me lol ) but what would be the big game that would make people want to pick one up this year?

I know a lot was riding on GTA6 making it this year but that was a pipedream

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017

I'm sure many will correct me (Please don't @ me lol ) but what would be the big game that would make people want to pick one up this year?

I tend to only play exclusives on PS consoles so...nothing?

Chaserjoey

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
Having been in a lot of EB Games in Australia and spoken to managers, nah this ain't it

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
as someone who is very excited for Switch 2 and doesn't think PS5 Pro needs to exist, I love these

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
There was no global meeting for Gamestop/EBGames, so even before we get to the information being claimed, the story is built on a lie. From what I understand they aren't even doing their usual conferences this year, let alone any special big scale ones like this.

Sometimes Gamestop managers DO know things slightly early. But it's stuff like "they know a Call of Duty is getting announced next week" or "they know there's some kind of Playstation bundle happening in a week". Corporations like Nintendo or Sony would not trust store level retail employees with massive secrets like this.

Dec 11, 2017
latest

It's true. I managed to take a photo.

Deleted member 20986

Oct 28, 2017
No problem because my ps5 won't have any games for the rest of this year anyway.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

I dont remember, but did PS4 pro have a game strongly associated with it at launch? Cause I dont recall one at all.
I don't think it matters that much.

Mikch85

May 12, 2018
Can confirm employees (even managers) from retail stores know nothing. At best, they get a listing a week before a game's reveal.
I dont remember, but did PS4 pro have a game strongly associated with it at launch? Cause I dont recall one at all.
I don't think so, unless CoD counts.

"Enhanced" consoles are considered an enthusiats product, often people already owning the base console. I don't think they need a game in particular as an incentive.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it could be true for Australia. Switch 2 gets JP release first with limited stock in SEA. Pro skips SEA for NA/EU/JP this year.

But its probably all bullshit

Oct 25, 2017
You know, f the big meeting didn't even take place you essentially got two serves of bullshit and then got another for free, like any other EB deal really.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
The big title was COD Infinite Warfare & Modern Warfare Remastered (controversy aside, good looking game on Pro at the time). It was the one on the box, I believe by the time Pro launched most of the biggest titles were already released like Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2 and Dishonored 2.

I think big highlight was the list of games with PS4 Pro Patches, I think thats what helped the sell the console at launch (at least to the enthusiasts).
Here's the launch Pro patched games:
Battlefield 1
Battlezone
Bound
Call of Duty: Black Ops 3
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Dishonored 2
Driveclub VR
EA Sports FIFA 17
Firewatch
Helldivers
Hitman
Hustle Kings
Infamous First Light
Infamous Second Son
Knack
Mafia III
Mantis Burn Racing
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
NBA 2K17
Neon Chrome
Paragon
PlayStation VR Worlds
Ratchet & Clank
Rez Infinite
Rigs Mechanized Combat League
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Robinson: The Journey
Smite
Super Stardust Ultra
The Elder Scrolls Online: Gold Edition
The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition
The Last of Us Remastered
The Last of Us: Left Behind
The Playroom VR
Thumper
Titanfall 2
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
Viking Squad
Wheels of Aurelia
World of Tanks
XCOM 2

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I could maybe believe them if their informatiom/meeting was from Gamestop higherups talking about upcoming potential releases, how they will affect their stores and shot in the dark guesstimate on when they will release, but with no more authority than anyone else.

Doesn't sound too dumb to me before big launches/generation changes there might be meeting for chain or regional managers to discuss what they expect with the new consoles.

What I'm trying to say is I can believe the guy was in a meeting of sorts where these things were discussed, but the people sharing that info know nothing and are just guessing too.

TableManners

Jan 9, 2024
I once saw a dude in a Gamestop yelling at staff right after the Xbox One was released that he 'had the next Xbox'. Like some unreleased thing that was somehow already made after the Xbox One and was in this guy's house. He was all like "You selling this shit when I've already got the next Xbox and I'm already playing the new GTA on it!!". He was also carrying about 10-15 shopping bags full of random Pokemon shit.

I believe anything said inside a Gamestop/EB Games.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I once saw a dude in a Gamestop yelling at staff right after the Xbox One was released that he 'had the next Xbox'. Like some unreleased thing that was somehow already made after the Xbox One and was in this guy's house. He was all like "You selling this shit when I've already got the next Xbox and I'm already playing the new GTA on it!!". He was also carrying about 10-15 shopping bags full of random Pokemon shit.

I believe anything said inside a Gamestop/EB Games.
Can I ask why do you accuse me?

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
As for PS5 Pro, that's "technically possible"... In a sense that not all countries get the hardware at the same time.

Sony launched PS4, PS4 Pro, and PS5 with a single international launch date, but my country of Serbia and neighboring Hungary all got those consoles 2-3 months later.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
I had a GameStop clerk insisting to me that Kingdom Hearts 3 would release in three months, and that they have insider information.

They said that in 2014.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
This is of "my uncle's cousin nephew's son" sort of thing but I found it odd enough to share as both rumors are against current expectations.
I was at an ebgames store (gamestop) in australia today and the manager claimed to have been at a 'global corporate meeting' six weeks ago and strongly implied to me that;
1. The PS5Pro WON'T be out this year.
2. The Switch2 WILL be out this year, and a direct would announce that soon.
Has anyone else heard the same? That's the opposite of what I had assumed to be the case.
Probably wack a poll up ;)
Just talked to a mate of mine who is a manager at an EBGames in Australia.

I quote: "There was no 'global corporate meeting' six weeks ago, especially for retail managers. That guy is fucking high as a kite."

AkimbOb-omb

Oct 30, 2017
A gamestop manager told me (must've been around the release of SFIV) that Chun Li isn't a real woman because her legs are too muscular.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
no offence to EB games manager, but i'd put more stock in them having advance knowledge of future Funko Pop releases than videogame systems. I mean, i walked past one yesterday and I couldn't see the tiny corner of the store where they had a few videogames for sale.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
As someone who used to be an EB games manager, we never got information like that that far ahead. I would find out release dates for games a couple of weeks in advance maybe, that would be the extent of it. The biggest thing I got told in advance was GTAs 5 character switch mechanic before it was officially announced, that's the biggest, which was cool but not exactly groundbreaking.

Zero chance managers would know months and months in advance that information. They would know just as much as we do.

Dec 2, 2017
I once had a game station manager tell me that littlebigplanet was coming to Wii and when I said it was a playstation exclusive he said he knew more than me cos he was a gamestation manager and they had sources I didn't and he'd be proven right very soon.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine it would actually create a bigger problem for Nintendo's partners and stakeholders to suddenly un-delay a product launch than to stick with it.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Electronics Boutique Australia - the heart of the gaming pulse

Status
Not open for further replies.