• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Wow. I feel like i should have known this before.

Insects have a head, thorax and abdomen, and the thorax has three pairs of legs. They also eyes, antennae and mouthparts, the Explorit Science Center website points out. "The entire body is protected by a tough outer covering called an exoskeleton. Animals that share these characteristics are called insects. The group to which they belong is called the Insecta."

Spiders, as the Explorit Science Center explains, have two main body parts. "The body consists of a combined head and thorax called the cephalothorax, and the abdomen. The cephalothorax has the eyes, mouthparts (no antennae) and four pairs of legs. Animals that share these characteristics include ticks, mites, scorpions and spiders. The group is called the Arachnida."

ucanr.edu

Why Spiders Are Not Insects

Happenings in the insect world

w h a t

This is kind of embarrassing...

RedBlue

Oct 27, 2017
Queens, NY
They are Arachnids. But we all have small gaps in knowledge. Some of us have large gaps in knowledge. I'm probably closer to the ladder.

latter

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is sort of a common knowledge thing but I could see why someone might be confused if you never learned it.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
I dunno why I knew they were arachnids but I do.

I think it may have been harry potter?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They're arachnids but most people just include arachnids under the insect umbrella

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
Pill bugs are not insect either. Not arachnid.

They are crustacean like shrimp and crabs

Superbagman

Nov 3, 2017
My wife is a biologist and always yells at me when I refer to them as bugs.
But in my defense, if they get into my space it definitely bugs me. lol

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
This is sort of a common knowledge thing but I could see why someone might be confused if you never learned it.
Yeah, which is why it's somewhat surprising that OP wouldn't have learned it since it seems like something they hammer in in science class because, like you said, it'd otherwise be an extremely common misconception.

As opposed to these which I don't remember being talked about as much.
Pill bugs are not insect either. Not arachnid.

They are crustacean like shrimp and crabs

OP
OP
julia crawford

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, which is why it's somewhat surprising that OP wouldn't have learned it since it seems like something they hammer in in science class because, like you said, it'd otherwise be an extremely common misconception.

I probably did and readily discarded the knowledge anyway. I wasn't a good student.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I came in here initially hostile but I realized I never learned this in school. I was a guy obsessed with animals as a kid so I heard this fact once a week. But not everyone likely did.

WPS

Oct 25, 2017
I remember learning this, and that mushrooms aren't plants, at a fairly young age.

However, I only learnt that seaweed isn't a plant either like a week ago.

Mar 3, 2018
Are you calling Thanos a liar?
nGMrD.gif

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Most people don't know a lot of specifics about arthropoda (the classification and naming). I didn't realize Scorpions were arachnids, as I had always associated the term with spiders rather than based on anatomy. But when you dig in you can see a lot of cool adaptations between different species in how different arachnids adapted their chelicerae. Example:
Spiders have fangs while Scorpions have claws
42663301292_ea1db28212_b.jpg

Did you know "bug" is actually a term for a specific kind of insect? Hemiptera are "bugs" and you can tell by their membranous wings (rather than having a hard shell like ladybugs which are beetles. People call everything bugs due to common naming such as this) and they have a mouthpart akin to a straw rather than mandibles.

example

bNDQTSzKDk0ObK4PCDU3Rw.jpg
hemilytra.jpg

Last edited:

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Edit: oh I got beat haha

Anyway, I do remember being taught this in school. I don't know if people just forget or aren't also taught that, but I'd guess a surprising amount of people don't realize this.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how many science classrooms neglect to teach this. I learned it in early elementary school. Somewhere between 3rd and 5th grade, although I'm sure I came across it earlier. Thing is, especially in a biology-averse country like the United States, I'm sure many classrooms skip over this, or give it little attention. I'd bet there are many teachers who hold biology in contempt due to religious influence, and would be so petty as to resent the difference between insects and arachnids. I personally know two teachers who would deny a difference, and I don't know many teachers. I'm sure there are more.

"Deny" here meaning denying that the differences are important. That it's worthwhile for the general public to know that there are distinct classifications for these creatures. Contemptuous that someone might want to present those differences during the course of public education.

Last edited:

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Their official classification is : "demon spawn, decendants of ancient evil Shelob " so I'm not surprised they are not related to anything earthly and from this plane of existence.

CarpeDeezNutz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The reason I know the difference was the 90s film Arachnophobia. There were posters for it at the rental places my parents would take us to.

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
It's easy OP:
- Insects have 6 legs (Hexapods) and antennas.
- Arachnids have 8 legs and no antenna (spiders and scorpions mostly).

Both are arthropods, meaning they have articulated members with an exosqueletton

Also, within the Arthropods that have antennas (the Antennata or Mandibulata) there is also the Crustecean and the Myriapods (centipedes).

Last edited:

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
It's ok.
insects, arachnids, and land crustaceans, mollusks, and worms all fall under the term "creepy crawlers" lol
33TXhGGOk3wGskTjJ1Fp00axQgK-TnGrEyRGS8q47aY.jpg