Votes: 1,309 54.8%
  • No

Votes: 401 16.8%
  • Certainly possible

Votes: 678 28.4%

• Total voters

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
that's some great collection, don't feel bad. I've spent a lot of money on games the last 3 years, but i've also made a lot of money selling a lot of those games for more money.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, this is was I've never understood about the collector's mindset.

I understand buying a figure to resell for profit.

I understand buying a figure to display it.

I don't understand buying a figure, not opening it, and never reselling it.

I also feel this way. But it clearly makes people happy so I guess more power to them.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You've built the perfect set for a gaming youtube channel. Go start your youtube career OP

OP
OP
Squarehard

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
At least you have physical items.

Imagine spending like, $15k on Fire Emblem Heroes or something.
Or Final Fantasy Exvius, I've heard people have shelled out into the numerous tens of thousands, lol.
Is there an assumed resale value on the figurines? Is that why they're all still in-box and stockpiled?
Not really, I actually like the look of the nendos in their boxes, and it's just easier to store them like that surprisingly, since you can't really stack the figures on top of each other.

Most of them are opened since I've looked inside them already, or tinkered with them, but yeah, not about value, more so just don't know how to display them properly with the space I have left, lol.
Seems fair as long as it was not eating into important savings. Better than spending thousands on micro-transactions anyhow.
Indeed.

Brings me joy, and isn't a financial strain, so I'll take it over putting all that into a mobile game or something. XD
Where's all the Native figures OP
I may get to that point where I'm going to start swapping out some of the other figures for some higher quality scales.

The majority of the figures are from one of my earlier trips, and they were cheaper, so I just went to town on them, but now, feels more like quality over quantity is the smarter move. :P
Given how long I've known you, and how many times I've seen your hauls... I'm legitimately surprised that number is that low :P
I was surprised too

But I mean, I've slowed down this year, a TON. My last pickup was actually around January, which is the longest I think I've ever abstained from buying these things.

Of course, certainly doesn't help my first day back, I just dropped over $500 earlier on a bunch of PS4 and Vita games again, so yeah...
Those shelves are struggling.
I think it's the angle on one of them, if you're talking about the ones with the blu-rays on them.

The bowing isn't as bad as the picture made it seem, but yeah, when I saw the picture I started to freak out too, but then looked at the shelf and it was alright, lol.
Where you gonna put the shit you get in the next 8 years of spending?
I've yet to figure that out...

I'm sure I will find a solution by that time. XD
I hope you never move because that is gonna be a whole bitch to pack/unpack

Have you gone through all the media there over the years? If you're just buying it and not consuming it you might have problem lol
I needed to get my home's carpet stretched like 2-3 years back, and what that meant I had to move EVERYTHING downstairs so they could do the job.

I wish I could find where I put the picture, but once I moved everything downstairs, it was pretty weird seeing all of it just stacked up right next to each other, lol.
How much did you spend on shelving?
Not a whole lot actually.

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
The only way I'd say yes is if it put you in debt or harmed your personal relationships.

I say go for what makes you happy as long as it doesn't impact others or you in a negative way.

Oct 27, 2017
Considering it was amassed over 8 years it doesn't seem like that exorbitant of an amount to spend on your hobby. If I could pile all my digitally bought games physically like that I would probably get the same result.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
That is what, an average of under $7k a year on your hobby?

Is it on the high side? I think it is, but it's not like debilitating money. If you can live comfortably then go for it. No sense in hoarding that money and dying a rich person.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
I like the line of thought that goes something like you're good as long as you own your collection and it doesn't own you. Also one needs to try and not worry too much about getting around to everything in the collection, because at some point the things in the collection become bigger than what's left in your own clock, and that gap only grows the more you collect, with media anyway.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
Stealth brag, first world problem, etc.

what do you want a medal or psycological asistance, I think you can afford either if you can afford so much worthless plastic.

And this is chump change compared to other people, if you can afford it, who cares?

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Don't feel bad. Look on the bright side. At least you don't have a crazy Funko Pop obsession to go along with this.

I get displaying your physical media like games and DVD collections, but beyond that, you have lots nendoroids and other figures just stocked in boxes and not being displayed properly. Seems like a waste unless they're super rare or something. It's just my pet peeve as an out of box collector, so don't mind me.

I hate to ask....but are there more things stacked away in that closet space?

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Oooof. I hate this. Too much stuff. I finally got rid of all my amiibos. $150 for 18 of them. I realized collecting figures, collectors edition, and really any merch is pointless.

I still buy board games but I also have sold off a bunch. I'm taking this approach to anything that isn't necessary.

There's always stuff coming out so I don't need to own everything because it never stops.

I also really hate owning games and books physically. I love my Kindle Oasis, buying games digitally, and I've started ripping my blurays.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not enough, I still see some open spaces in those shelves

You more, MORE, until everything is filled up!

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
image0.gif

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Does it bring you joy? Can you afford it?

I mean you are averaging about 800 a month for those years which is a lot but honestly if you can get joy and happiness from it and you can share it with other etc then its fine

It mau be hard to sustain for longer but you do you.

You do seem organized so that helps!.

Jul 26, 2018
I want a room like that but instead it's filled with Legos and Transformers.

And i've though spending 3K for my whole gaming setup last holiday was insane... dam.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Whether you're nuts or not depends on your financial state.

I low key think most collectors are nuts, but whatever makes people happy.

OP
OP
Squarehard

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I could organize like that, seriously impressive.

Do you actually have time to enjoy your collection though OP? From my short time collecting, I ended up not even playing half the games because I was more focused on buying at one point. As long as it means something to you, I think it's a nice collection.
It's both.

Things sort of get backlogged due to not having enough time to do everything, so it's more like the backlog keeps growing, but time only moves at one speed, so I'm always going to fall behind at some point, lol.
b0bf1e24dd23adf60673230769091d529235f17f_hq.gif

What. If. There's. An. Earthquake?
Then the headline in the paper next day will be, "Man crushed to death by own collection"
Clean set-up OP, it looks great.

How's that backlog looking lol?
I mean, it's going about as well as one would expect. :D

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Really sharp set up. The figure stuff is something I don't personally understand but otherwise, I can see how it would be easy to do that especially if you're still actually buying physical anime and manga releases. If you have some disposable income, why not? That's like.. $5-600 a month? It could be worse. At least you have something tangible and it isn't all blown on gacha..

Cobra

Mar 2, 2019
Op, that's very organized. I'm actually interested in where you got those shelves for the PS4 games. I've been looking for something new for myself.

If you're happy that's all that matters in my opinion. You can't take money with you, may as well spend as long as everything else in your life is in order.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's excessive but as long as you're not in debt due to it, you're fine in my book.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
You're not nuts. If it makes you happy and isn't hurting anyone, do what you enjoy.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
~$150 per week on your main hobbies really isn't that outrageous especially when you have so much to show for it and a ton of resale value. I used to piss more than that up against a wall in my 20's (drinking / clubbing for non brits).

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't live like that, but if it brings you joy to have that room go for it. As long as it's not destroying you financially.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I spent $14,000 on a new (used) car last month when a $5,000 car would have done me fine. But it was also the car I've always wanted and I smile every time I see it. Do what makes you happy, OP.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
The weird thing I see in OPs pics is that other than nendos/figmas the rest of the figures are "prize" figures and not the expensive scale figures I was expecting coming into this thread. Hope you didn't get ripped off and spent only around 15-20 dollars or less per prize figure OP.

Also it's just my thoughts but nendos and figmas are meant to be out of their boxes as they are articulate/posable figures. Unless you only bought them to sell them later you're really missing out on the main enjoyment of nendoroid/figmas.