starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
I watched the dying light 2 trailer that just released and saw that theres double wall running. Then i started thinking, "man I love parkour in games, i wish it was in more 3rd person games" then I looked up some parkour wall running videos and realized its damn near impossible to wall run, its more or less just bouncing off a surface. I think theres a couple of people that manage to get two steps on a wall but its still more or less just trying to touch the wall with both feet before bouncing off it, they aren't actually covering any distance.

I'm not sure why I thought this was a real thing for so long. Maybe because it's become so common place in video games lol. It's just as ridiculous as sonic running on the surface of water.

Come laugh at me

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i was under the impression it was more like "wall-falling," but in style.

Virtua King

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Well yeah, there's no force cancelling gravity's when you're only moving horizontally. It's still a cool gameplay feature though.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
In real life every time your feet connect with the wall you're going to push yourself away from it with nothing to suck you back towards it. You can probably do a better wall run on a curved wall though.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Wall-driving (skateboard, bike, car) is possible to a limited degree tho if you go fast enough and have a slope / curved wall. That probably also made you think that wall-running is possible in some sense.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You can't actually crouch-move through shrubs and bushes without making a ton of noise and cutting yourself all over.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
In real life every time your feet connect with the wall you're going to push yourself away from it with nothing to suck you back towards it. You can probably do a better wall run on a curved wall though.
Yeah, this is the real issue, not gravity. You wouldn't even be able to wall run in low G I don't think because you'd be shoving yourself away from the wall with every step.

OP
OP
starfoxxxy

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Wall-driving (skateboard, bike, car) is possible to a limited degree tho if you go fast enough and have a slope / curved wall. That probably also made you think that wall-running is possible in some sense.

Yeah, i was gonna say this. It's probably the skateboarding/snowboarding stuff that made me subconsciously think this lol

astro

Oct 25, 2017

This is pretty much it.... video games lied to us.

EDIT: ninja'd by an actually wall run! The shame!

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
okgiaws1lk9p.gif

zykarwv8jl8.gif

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
You ever tried to jump straight up and out a body of water that you're swimming in?

This one is funny to me because even as platformers moved to 3D there were attempts to make the games more "realistic" like fall damage and limited breathing underwater. But no worries, jumping out of nothing in water is still a-okay.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
Wall running is definitely possible for something with enough momentum...

Real life humans rarely, if ever, are capable of building the amount of momentum necessary on their own...