ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Modding is work. I used to work as a mod and later as an admin in a much smaller community, and even then, I was spending a couple hours a day taking out the trash and dealing with stuff like random drive-by goatse dumps. Then you're constantly talking with the other mods in the private mod forums trying to make sure everything is running smoothly and actions are being documented. There's all sorts of stuff that the moderation staff is doing behind the scenes that the average user is never going to see. And they aren't getting paid to do it. They're doing it because they care about the community.

The mods aren't going to be perfect and everybody should be open to constructive criticism, but these are people who are working hard for no money to make sure that this place is as good as it can be. I appreciate their hard work.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Your shit ain't as slick as you think it is tbh. I was tempted to keep quiet because this is an obvious bait/trap thread (btw, real cute putting that "the majority here appreciate you", because if there's anything queer posters, posters of color etc like being reminded of, it's that we're The Minority), but then you had to insert this shit which is just blatantly "Minorities with valid concerns and criticisms? Couldn't possibly exist, people just want to see this place burn to the ground" and it's fucking sickening to see us get downplayed and dehumanized to that regard so casually. Not just here and now but anytime we have something to say. If you want me being silent about it like you clearly want me and everyone else being silent about everything else that Bothers You, please spare us the time and outright say that you want us banned. At least that's honest
Sweeney I love you but I really don't think Tay of all people was referring to the trans community or any minority group here or trying to bait anyone, it's way more likely they are referring to LPC users jumping into the fold because they want to heighten drama in bad faith, or users using that opportunity to distract from those concerns to litigate their own bans.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where did I said you could never criticize mods? I even said in the OP they sometimes miss the mark like what was going on this week. But at the end of the day Mods are just humans that are doing all of this on their free time on a video game forum. The level of hostility and vicisnous against the mods is a bit ridiculous.

I'm gonna have to stop you right there. I think it's completely warranted. They've done a terrible job at making sure certain communities feel safe and included, and that's not talking about some of the neutral moderation issues. Giant, thriving communities that were active when GAF was around are now nonexistent or get little traffic because these minorities don't feel like they have a safe space here. That shit isn't made up.

Just because the mods are human and do it as volunteer work doesn't mean they're free from criticism. The complaints are because people want the Era community as a whole to be better.

Last edited:

wsbceo

alt account
Banned
Apr 29, 2019
Agreed completely

Your shit ain't as slick as you think it is tbh. I was tempted to keep quiet because this is an obvious bait/trap thread (btw, real cute putting that "the majority here appreciate you", because if there's anything queer posters, posters of color etc like being reminded of, it's that we're The Minority), but then you had to insert this shit which is just blatantly "Minorities with valid concerns and criticisms? Couldn't possibly exist, people just want to see this place burn to the ground" and it's fucking sickening to see us get downplayed and dehumanized to that regard so casually. Not just here and now but anytime we have something to say. If you want me being silent about it like you clearly want me and everyone else being silent about everything else that Bothers You, please spare us the time and outright say that you want us banned. At least that's honest
Amazing post. Thanks for writing it.

I am sad to say I've posted this same sentiment earlier today but: We need to move to a new forum. We did it with GAF and we can do it again. We are not being heard and nothing is changing. So let's vote with our feet and move to a new forum.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I'm gonna have to stop you right there. I think it's completely warranted. They've done a terrible job at making sure certain communities feel safe and included, and that's not talking about some of the neutral moderation issues. Giant, thriving communities that were active when GAF was around are now nonexistent or get little traffic because these minorities don't feel like they have a safe space here. That shit isn't made up.

Just because they're human and do it ad volunteer work doesn't mean they're free from criticism. The complains are because people want the community to be better.
All I'm saying is I care about the moderators and this community. Of course I want moderators to improve and be better. I post here nearly every day and I would hate to lose a community I love to all of this.

There are sites that are getting their rocks off to all of this and adding more fuel to the fire.

wsbceo

alt account
Banned
Apr 29, 2019
Just because the mods are human and do it as volunteer work doesn't mean they're free from criticism. The complaints are because people want the Era community as a whole to be better.
Where does the Clear money go, anyway? Is someone profiting? We should see some financial statements. We make this community.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
And an especially big thank you for taking power away from Professor Beef

Something we should all celebrate with a dance

giphy.gif
CEASE THIS AT ONCE

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Where does the Clear money go, anyway? Is someone profiting? We should see some financial statements. We make this community.
We need to see the tax returns and social security numbers of all staff members. For all we know, they are Russian assets.

god I hope I don't need to say this is sarcasm but you can never be sure

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
Sweeney I love you but I really don't think Tay of all people was referring to the trans community or any minority group here or trying to bait anyone, it's way more likely they are referring to LPC users jumping into the fold because they want to heighten drama in bad faith, or users using that opportunity to distract from those concerns to litigate their own bans.

Gotta throw in on this, I read it the same way. Sweeney ain't wrong.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I am a black woman. I am also a moderator.

This bit of intersectionality has been one of the hardest weeks I as an individual have had to deal with in my life. Right now I'm sitting in my car with a cry-headache trying to leave to go to my brother's house. I barely have the energy.

It's been interesting to see both sides of the spectrum, where on one end my input in threads concerning black representation and issues is valuable because I can speak from life experience and knowledge, and then on the other end I get called a cop with all of the pain and irony that entails simply because I was the fool who said "yes" to volunteering.

I have simultaneously felt valued and valueless throughout this endeavor, and it's made me question whether or not I'm even a good person. I don't know how to parse the emotional toll, other than to just ignore it and make do with what I have and serve the community with the powe rand knowledge I myself have. Because I want this place to succeed. But I admit, my emotions have been all over the place.

That's all. I figured the most appropriate thread to open up in would be this one. To anyone who has given me and the other staff members a kind word, thank you. To anyone else who is dissatisfied with our performance: I understand, and I still apologize. Just remember we are human too.

I will be taking a break. I'm not leaving the forum, or my position, but I think I've exhausted myself to the point where my basic mental and even physical faculties are beginning to degrade. Continuing in my state right now is not fair to myself or to the people who want better.

I don't know how long it'll be either. I guess just long enough to bounce back. I love you guys. See you later!

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

This bit of intersectionality has been one of the hardest weeks I as an individual have had to deal with in my life. Right now I'm sitting in my car with a cry-headache trying to leave to go to my brother's house. I barely have the energy.

It's been interesting to see both sides of the spectrum, where on one end my input in threads concerning black representation and issues is valuable because I can speak from life experience and knowledge, and then on the other end I get called a cop with all of the pain and irony that entails simply because I was the fool who said "yes" to volunteering.

I have simultaneously felt valued and valueless throughout this endeavor, and it's made me question whether or not I'm even a good person. I don't know how to parse the emotional toll, other than to just ignore it and make do with what I have and serve the community with the powe rand knowledge I myself have. Because I want this place to succeed. But I admit, my emotions have been all over the place.

That's all. I figured the most appropriate thread to open up in would be this one. To anyone who has given me and the other staff members a kind word, thank you. To anyone else who is dissatisfied with our performance: I understand, and I still apologize. Just remember we are human too.

I will be taking a break. I'm not leaving the forum, or my position, but I think I've exhausted myself to the point where my basic mental and even physical faculties are beginning to degrade. Continuing in my state right now is not fair to myself or to the people who want better.

I don't know how long it'll be either. I guess just long enough to bounce back. I love you guys. See you later!

c7jNy4v.gif

I still <3 you Nep! Take it from me, you have to take time for yourself.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
I still love you, mods, even though you don't ban the people I want banned and ban the people I don't want banned and ignore the hundreds of private messages and emails and private photographs please respond

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017

I'm so sorry to read this. Thank you for your service.

I think a break will be good for you and any others where this is affecting them as harshly. No point in exposing yourself to a miserable environment of a forum

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017

You'll be right, old girl. Love you too.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I'm 99% on the side of people who just want to make this place better for all and recognize they are not perfect, no one is... it is that sometimes that 1% is bad, real bad.

Things like how TransEra was failed for months and that absurd mod post in the Driving Under the influence thread are things that simply cannot happen again

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This forum is one of the best places on the internet, no doubt. It is in large part because of our volunteer moderation staff - thanks everyone. Genuinely appreciate it.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Gotta throw in on this, I read it the same way. Sweeney ain't wrong.
I don't think either of them are wrong really. There are communities that don't want to post here, and that sucks, and I want things to be better for them because it would be shitty to lose those voices. I think they should be able to work with the mods to implement changes so they feel safer here and don't have to feel constantly on the defensive.

At the same time as that, a lot of us know there are mods that are really working hard and putting in their best effort to make positive changes who are also voices we shouldn't want to lose here, and I can't imagine how frustrating it is for them or why they would want to continue trying to help when they aren't going to be recognized in a positive capacity no matter what they do.
Like this right here, it's shitty for someone to feel this way. I know Nepenthe, you know Nepenthe, anyone who knows her knows she's a good person and yet she's left in a spot where she's even questioning that, it's awful. It's also shitty for trans people or any other minority to feel the way they feel here, that is not how things should be. I don't have the answer beyond there needs to be some sort of communication without everyone going back to their corners. I have suggestions but I'm not going to deign to present anything even if I'm trying to help because as a cis white guy it's not really my place to do so.

Anyways, regarding Tay's comment, maybe they did mean it that way. Both you and Sweeney are smart and perceptive people, maybe I'm just missing it, but having interacted with Tay reasonably often I just can't see them being one to deliberately bait people like that or downplay any concerns about representation. I'd say the same thing about either you or Sweeney if anyone said that about either of you.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I am sad to say I've posted this same sentiment earlier today but: We need to move to a new forum. We did it with GAF and we can do it again. We are not being heard and nothing is changing. So let's vote with our feet and move to a new forum.

I think this is the sentiment the OP was trying to address. Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. The mods are discussing ways to improve with the Trans community. Change doesn't happen overnight. Hopefully Trans Era would agree that while the problems currently at boiling point are significant, this is a far cry from the situation that led to everyone leaving GAF.

Nepenthe - I'm sorry things have gotten to this point. Please be well. This is me trying to echo the appreciation for all the mods do, without seeking to diminish the criticisms and frustration with moderation experienced by Trans members. I sincerely believe that recent events will just lead to a better, more inclusive forum.

Coleslaw

Nov 3, 2018
Nah I've been disappointed from the jump. Era is now an echo chamber; it's nice to have a positive echo chamber, don't get me wrong, but you're not going to see any differing opinion here without a strike through the username. Even honest questions and discussion are over-moderated. You are not allowed to be wrong.

So it's nice for a pick-me-up, but I've definitely had to further diversify my media input (which has ultimately been a positive thing, so thank you).

Professor Beef

Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Nah I've been disappointed from the jump. Era is now an echo chamber; it's nice to have a positive echo chamber, don't get me wrong, but you're not going to see any differing opinion here without a strike through the username. Even honest questions and discussion are over-moderated. You are not allowed to be wrong.

So it's nice for a pick-me-up, but I've definitely had to further diversify my media input (which has ultimately been a positive thing, so thank you).
and what might those differing opinions be, hmmmmmmmmmmm?

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017

Love you, Nep. Hope things are able to pick back up for you

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
I don't think either of them are wrong really. There are communities that don't want to post here, and that sucks, and I want things to be better for them because it would be shitty to lose those voices. I think they should be able to work with the mods to implement changes so they feel safer here and don't have to feel constantly on the defensive.

At the same time as that, a lot of us know there are mods that are really working hard and putting in their best effort to make positive changes who are also voices we shouldn't want to lose here, and I can't imagine how frustrating it is for them or why they would want to continue trying to help when they aren't going to be recognized in a positive capacity no matter what they do.

Like this right here, it's shitty for someone to feel this way. I know Nepenthe, you know Nepenthe, anyone who knows her knows she's a good person and yet she's left in a spot where she's even questioning that, it's awful. It's also shitty for trans people or any other minority to feel the way they feel here, that is not how things should be. I don't have the answer beyond there needs to be some sort of communication without everyone going back to their corners. I have suggestions but I'm not going to deign to present anything even if I'm trying to help because as a cis white guy it's not really my place to do so.

Anyways, regarding Tay's comment, maybe they did mean it that way. Both you and Sweeney are smart and perceptive people, maybe I'm just missing it, but having interacted with Tay reasonably often I just can't see them being one to deliberately bait people like that or downplay any concerns about representation. I'd say the same thing about either you or Sweeney if anyone said that about either of you.

Yeah I know you would bruh. You're one of the most reasonable folk I know around here and one of the very few I even kick it with on site. But let us be honest, you're more than likely to interact with me off site than here cos our communities are dry like a desert.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
TransERA had a much rougher time, no offense. Everyone who has much more patience than me and actually put up with all that shit in the past months deserves ALL the love & appreciation.
Agreed completely

As a minority it feels great seeing TransERA and other minorities stand up and (finally) succeed at calling out the bullshit. Things were getting pretty dire and I'd thought we'd be forever buried under thread locks and history of similar infractions bans. I'm glad that the mod team has promised to do better, and I'm looking forward to seeing them uphold that promise.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Yeah I know you would bruh. You're one of the most reasonable folk I know around here and one of the very few I even kick it with on site. But let us be honest, you're more than likely to interact with me off site than here cos our communities are dry like a desert.
This is the truth
You may be jesting, but this kind of witch hunt attitude isn't going to help anyone learn anything, and it is a prevalent attitude here in my experience.
You didn't answer what Era is an echo-chamber about or what opinions you can't express

anariel

Oct 27, 2017

<3

Take all the time you need and, though I doubt my words carry much weight, I've never seen you as anything less than a kind and compassionate mod. I may have issues with how moderation has gone in certain communities lately, but you definitely shouldn't think any less of yourself for what's been going on for the last little bit. Feel better =)

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017

Enjoy the break. I've always admired the quality of your posts, and was pleasantly surprised when you became a mod. It was pretty unfortunate to see people respond so harshly to an admittedly misguided staff announcement you posted recently (you probably know the one), just viewing you as an extension of The Nefarious Mods and losing sight of the strong likelihood that you're an awesome individual who simply made a mistake.

In general, although the mods absolutely need to take action on some of the much needed criticism they've received recently, I can't help but be grateful for the amount of mental and emotional energy they've invested into this community. So, do better, but also thank you.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
"honest questions" is such a blatant red flag of a term lol.

Coleslaw

Nov 3, 2018
You know that thread about whether you've had your views changed by the forum? Well I have. But it was back when I could say something stupid, get a temporary ban with some constructive criticism like "stop being an asshole," and then I would come back and be less of an asshole because I ultimately valued the community I was trying to be a part of. And in turn I would be less of an asshole and a better person in my real life discourse.

Now I hardly ever make any serious comments because moderation seems really volatile to me. I'm afraid to say one thing out of line because that seems to be enough for a perma-ban. I've been here (and previously the other place) for years, so I know, understand, and appreciate the rules, that's why I stick around, but I feel like I have to keep my mouth shut. I can't say something stupid and be corrected - I'll just get the boot.

But a dumb kid like me back when i first came to GAF? You're going to immediately ban them and scare them away at best, and at worst you're going to make them resentful of the progressive ideals that Era stands for.

And I think that's unfortunate. That dumb kid could learn something and be a better person for it. But only if we talk to them.

Coleslaw

Nov 3, 2018
This is the truth

You didn't answer what Era is an echo-chamber about or what opinions you can't express
that's because the playbook is always the same

Guys I am on your side. It could be any issue from abortion (I am pro choice) to trans rights (I am for full and equal human rights for all humans). But I feel like we aren't allowed to interrogate the opposing argument, because any time it comes up it is immediately banned. That isn't healthy if you're trying to understand the situation in the real world.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you to the mods who still try.

Thank you to members of the trans and queer communities on here who spoke up about their experiences and got smacked with repeated bans for calling attention to it, only ever getting validated when things finally reached a boiling point and spilled over.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Whats the real value of being constructive on this website?
The prospect of leaving a positive, lasting impression on someone else's perspective. To find community in and around topics, issues, happenings, and games you find mutual enjoyment in. To provide a safe place for people who may be struggling in real life for any number of reasons.

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
Guys I am on your side. It could be any issue from abortion (I am pro choice) to trans rights (I am for full and equal human rights for all humans). But I feel like we aren't allowed to interrogate the opposing argument, because any time it comes up it is immediately banned. That isn't healthy if you're trying to understand the situation in the real world.

I get what you're saying. I share the same perspective. Mine might be a little more.... confrontational for results tho.

Professor Beef

Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
it's not the job of the oppressed to teach the oppressors

if some dumbdick says something idiotic and hateful about minority groups, even if phrased to make it seem like they're "tRYiNg tO HaVe a DiScUsSiOn," then that shit shouldn't be entertained. not all discussion is worth wasting energy on, and it's laughable that someone would complain that they can't do it on this site.