• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
So I was having some fun with this game. Just started it, I was having some trouble with a few things.

- First thing, when you start the game they tell you to "go fuck yourself, we don't have an auto save system". Okay, fine. But I've played for over a half an hour with 0 save point.

- I felt that a handful of times my attack's mysteriously missed my opponents

- I'm not sure I quite understand how the game wants me to doge certain attacks, especially with the endless enemies they seem to throw at you. Sometimes I'm dodging with the jump button other times it's with the right trigger, but I took a lot of hits.

- ran out of health items during the first boss after the initial cut scene. The one with two gears. I died, fine. But since the game didn't let me save and this shitty game also has no auto save, I completely wasted a half hour of this game and of my life playing this crappy console port, because I died on a boss after I got spammed so badly by the two gears that it was literally impossible for me to dodge anything. My character took about 5 hits in a row from the gears, I tried pressing the dodge buttons, didn't work.

So I'm done with this game. I bought it sometime last year, I regret not playing it immediately back then so I could refund this mess. It was fun while it lasted but I just don't have the time for crap like this, I have nearly 400 steam games, I don't have the time to waste playing games developed in such a fashion.

- immediately uninstalled, don't need 26GB on my SSD for a game that doesn't allow you to save.

On top of that you have to live in fear of CTDs with this game because it's just a console port with 0 effort. All of the cutscenes seemed like slideshows although the gameplay itself was at 59fps.

Oct 25, 2017
The void
Yeah I don't know why the beginning is like that. Same thing happened to me. But the beginning is the only part like that. Don't give up! It gets way better!

Oct 26, 2017
Just play the opening on the easiest difficulty, after that the game has save points. The opening is dumb but there is atleast a reason for it.
The game is terribly balanced so I recommend just playing on normal.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
You're probably about to get shit on OP, but I did the exact same thing and felt the exact same way.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game has auto save, but it isn't available during the tutorial section for story reasons.

If it's such a hurdle, turn down the difficulty.

The cutscene issue sounds like you are playing without the FAR mod. That fixes that.

Oct 25, 2017
iirc after you enter the open world, the game allows you to save quite frequently. It's quite crappy that you're locked out of saving entirely before that though.

On a side note: For me, less than a minute after I first saved my power went out. I was really happy that I didn't get stuck on the boss.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

Feb 5, 2019
It didn't really grab me either. I got about 12 hours on and shelved it. I keep telling myself I'll go back and play it again but that hasn't happened. Wasn't a bad game, just never hooked me.

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017
Nier automata dodging is quite forgiving. If you have issue with not getting hit then probably action game isn't for you.

PurgeVIII

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
United States
Before I even read the OP I knew you died in the prologue lmao. Honestly though I understand it can be frustrating losing that hour of progress. Maybe put it down and pick it back up another day?

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
You're well within your rights to shelve it if you're not happy, but you'll be missing out on something special.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
When I played that part I was so scared of dying, I even finished it without any item left so that was pretty close.
Switched to easy to see how it is on route B but it just auto-attack and auto-evade so it feels really weird, went back to normal, I just want to experience the game's story before Astral Chain, on a PlatinumGames mood.

OP
OP
Soundtrack2chaos
Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
You were playing the tutorial. That's why there's no save point.

That's gotta be the stupidest thing ever. So they put you in what, an hour long tutorial? I die once and I have to play the WHOLE thing again?

Assuming I ever get so desperate as to install this game again, how is the regular game itself? Does it ever autosave or would I run into bullcrap like this in the future?

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna be honest; I don't remember having problems with the opening at all. I don't remember not being able to save, or balance issues. Weird.

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This happened to me too but I knew it was because I was playing poorly so ... I just started it again and burned through the entire opening section and trounced that first boss the second time. Sure it still took like 20 minutes or whatever but you get to "save" after that and get into the real game and it's pretty fun !

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I stopped playing after the over the top, silly opening too.

It helped that I'd heard you have to finish it multiple times to actually beat it, and that A and B are very similar. Sounds boring.

Dante316

Oct 25, 2017
Git gud? Joking aside, same thing happened to me, I died at the tutorial fight and shelved but came back, it's not that long to run back there and to eventually save it. Then the save system isn't so bad at all. It's unique game with fun mechanics. Just play easy and enjoy

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The beginning is garbage, put it on easy, which basically plays the game for you, and blow through it until you can save. Unfortunately, the combat never really gets better and pretty quickly gets so easy that you're basically a god on any difficulty but the hardest, which is one shot kills cheese. There is no middle ground.
Low quality bait thread.

Clearly you don't remember the discussions when the game came out. This was a huge issue of contention that many people complained about.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
I personally would give the game a little more time but I personally don't think the game was worth my time.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I didn't know you can die during the tutorial. I don't remember it being hard at all.

Kind of amazing we're at the point where not being able to save every other minute has become a huge issue.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Yikes @ being stuck at the prologue.

Drop the game to Easy dude. If you can't clear the prologue mission on Easy, I don't know what to tell you.

As others have said, shoot the red orbs with your pod. Abuse your pod. Kill everything with it if you need to. You don't even have to swing your sword if you don't want to. Literally just run around in circles and hold your pod's gun trigger down until everything is dead. Good lord.

OP
OP
Soundtrack2chaos
Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
Git gud? Joking aside, same thing happened to me, I died at the tutorial fight and shelved but came back, it's not that long to run back there and to eventually save it. Then the save system isn't so bad at all. It's unique game with fun mechanics. Just play easy and enjoy

I was really enjoying it until I was like 20 minutes in with 5 health items left and thinking "where the fuck is the save point". Story does seem interesting. I just shouldn't have to put a game on easy mode, ever.

Bad design.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a well-reasoned complaint that a large amount of people who have tried the game have had.

To be completely honest, OP sounds terrible at action games but past that the opening is fine. The game is very much in the camp of "all mechanics must be subservient to the story" which is certainly a choice but no saving during the tutorial still serves its intended purpose of gate keeping the difficulty, if you can't get through that then it means you fucked up choosing your difficulty mode, quitting due to one road block is certainly one way to handle it but the thread is definitely mostly bait, it devolves quickly into just attacking the game for the sake of knowing people here like the game.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
You're probably about to get shit on OP, but I did the exact same thing and felt the exact same way.

testify! incredibly poor decision on the developer's part. truly great way to greet people checking your game out: with a big, smiling 'fuck you!' :) ...

edit: i went on to complete the whole game, btw. but that opening sequence stunt? moronic...

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
If been forced to play something again gets you so mad, lets not mention Route B

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I remember I died during the tutorial and felt the same way, but then I made it to the rest of the game and it was amazing.

Oct 27, 2017
I would say "just play it on easy if the tutorial bit is giving you trouble" but it seems like you don't ever want to try again... so what is there to discuss?

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
The first couple of hours can be pretty boring and doesn't point to something, but it gets better.

At my taste, the game take flight in the middle of the B scenario.

OP
OP
Soundtrack2chaos
Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
To be completely honest, OP sounds terrible at action games but past that the opening is fine. The game is very much in the camp of "all mechanics must be subservient to the story" which is certainly a choice but no saving during the tutorial still serves its intended purpose of gate keeping the difficulty, if you can't get through that then it means you fucked up choosing your difficulty mode, quitting due to one road block is certainly one way to handle it but the thread is definitely mostly bait, it devolves quickly into just attacking the game for the sake of knowing people here like the game.

LOL 35 minutes of gameplay and having to play the ENTIRE SECTION I just played through, again, just to get back to the same boss is a "roadblock".

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
It does have auto-save, don't worry. :p
this too.

The game auto-saves frequently after you finish the prologue. You're not supposed to get stuck here, OP.

LOL 35 minutes of gameplay and having to play the ENTIRE SECTION I just played through, again, just to get back to the same boss is a "roadblock".
Unless you're playing on HARD, the prologue is a 10-15 minute clear. Adjust how you're playing to be more effective.

I encourage you to watch a video of someone else playing it to get a feel for how to approach combat. The opening sequence is not supposed to be a roadblock. Watch a video, play it on easy.

You can do it. You'll laugh at getting stuck here, and definitely for making a thread about it instead of just asking for help or advice in the very active OT.