iosefe

The Unshakable Resolve of "this guy are sick"
Oct 26, 2017
Where the sun shines
been watching it all on Tubi lately, just started season 4.

this show is fantastic. before this i had only seen one episode with my grandpa years ago.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
It was a great show and one with really consistent quality. Even the revival series was mostly solid even if it was much weaker than the original overall. I was always surprised we never saw a kind of copy cat series or something with Columbo's format, at least I don't remember any

Deleted member 27921

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
At the peak of Christopher Columbus erasure, I tossed out the idea to change "Columbus Day" to Columbo Day but was ignored by everyone within earshot.

I still say there is room on our calendar for a day (or even a full weekend) paying respects to this detective genius.

2512e284d3bad1deea16ef4aa31ff77174e59a99.jpg

This is amazing.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
Amazing the jacket was actually Peter Falk's that he dyed. And that he was also quite a fine artist. Fantastic guy

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
Watched the whole series for the first time last year. Was one of the best things I ever did.

Is there any other American detective show like it?
I've seen all of Monk, David Suchet's Poirot and Joan Hickson's Miss Marple. I need another detective show.

DECK’ARD

Creator of Worms
Verified
Nov 26, 2017
UK
One of my favourite shows, always enjoy watching an episode.

Channel 5 in the UK show multiple episodes every Sunday. Perfect Sunday viewing.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the whole series for the first time last year. Was one of the best things I ever did.

I've seen all of Monk, David Suchet's Poirot and Joan Hickson's Miss Marple. I need another detective show.
The Closer with Kyra Sedgwick, I really liked that show and her performance.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
I started watching it, I think, either last year or earlier this year. Had a bunch of signs basically telling me to check it out. My senior at work kept quoting him, a group of podcasters I listen to brought him up, and then that's when I noticed that he had a whole bunch of memes on the web. So I checked it out and didn't regret it. It's now a comfort show for me.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah doesn't Japan love Columbo?

I know Jotaro mentions being a fan in SDC.

There are tonnes of references and parodies in Japanese media, from Dick Gumshoe in Ace Attorney, to a supposed son in Lupin III, and uh... straight up 'The Columbo of Shinano'
www.tbs.co.jp

内田康夫サスペンス「信濃のコロンボ〜死者の木霊〜」|ドラマ・時代劇|TBSチャンネル - TBS

内田康夫のデビュー作を寺脇康文主演でドラマ化。“信濃のコロンボ”こと竹村岩男刑事が、執念の捜査でバラバラ殺人事件の真相を追う。共演は高橋克典ほか。

He's a core archetype used for building modern detective types

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah doesn't Japan love Columbo?

I know Jotaro mentions being a fan in SDC.

eM3sHwp.jpg

The TV show Furuhata Ninzaburo was wildly popular in Japan. It's not just a parody of Columbo, it's basically a direct copy of Columbo - odd talking detective who everyone thinks is a fool cuz he asks a lot of off-the-cuff questions (while scratching his head), culminating in the final gotcha scene where he spills the beans.

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Law and Order Criminal Intent, D'nofrio is essentially channeling Columbo with his performance; the show is similar, too, in that you already know who is guilty; you just want to see how "Bobby" figures it out.

May 12, 2021
A great show to this day, with plenty of iconic performances. That Donald Pleasence episode is so good, as is the Jessica Walters one. There's also a couple of ones based on Ed McBain stories that are tight detective stories, although not quite as high on the Columbo flavor.

Nostalgia comes and goes on a 30 year cycle, but Columbo seems to pop up as a meme every ten years or so. He's evergreen. A true champ.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City

Definitely check out Murder She wrote. Angela Lansbury recently passed but that show was up there in classic mysteries. The villains aren't as diabolical but it's still great tv.

Outside of that British tv is where all the mysteries are now. Acorn and Britbox are full of mystery shows.

If you're more interested in the time frame a more action oriented and blue collar crime show would be the Rockford Files and Kojack. They aren't Columbo, but they are iconic in their own genres nonetheless. After the Columbo era came Magnum PI and Miami Heat. But those two shows kind of act as buffers between a thinking hero and the eventual action heroes.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's the only place you can get the whole series on bluray as it cost me an insensible amount of money lol

Speaking of which, why is it that the show has never been transferred to Blu-Ray in the West? Like many here, I've got the DVD collection, but given the chance, I'd totally splurge on an HD or even 4K transfer. It's not like these shows used CG, so I imagine if they could get a hold of the original negatives, it would be pretty straightforward to make new high-quality transfers.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of which, why is it that the show has never been transferred to Blu-Ray in the West? Like many here, I've got the DVD collection, but given the chance, I'd totally splurge on an HD or even 4K transfer. It's not like these shows used CG, so I imagine if they could get a hold of the original negatives, it would be pretty straightforward to make new high-quality transfers.

Think UK had the first season and then just stopped. Assumed it didn't make as much money as the distributor wanted.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Columbo is awesome.

It is a shame that his actor fell to Alzhiemer's.

But we did get some cool moments first.

View: https://youtu.be/nSyeQH15evw

New Columbo was pretty good but the writing was weaker.

Also read his memoir "Just One More Thing" if you get a chance.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
My favorite show of all time. I think Columbo received two big boosts in popular culture: in the mid-2000s the entire original 70s run was on Netflix. That opened the door for a whole new generation to discover Columbo. Then with COVID, Columbo was inexplicably a big quarantine hit. There have been several articles, even in pretty major tv, newspaper, and pop culture websites about this.

Add to the fact that Columbo has been continuously re-run on TV in many, many countries, the character and show have maintained a steady fan base.

There has also been a surge in Columbo fans creating content from books to memes to tribute and analysis videos and podcasts.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
There are tonnes of references and parodies in Japanese media, from Dick Gumshoe in Ace Attorney, to a supposed son in Lupin III, and uh... straight up 'The Columbo of Shinano'
www.tbs.co.jp

内田康夫サスペンス「信濃のコロンボ〜死者の木霊〜」|ドラマ・時代劇|TBSチャンネル - TBS

内田康夫のデビュー作を寺脇康文主演でドラマ化。“信濃のコロンボ”こと竹村岩男刑事が、執念の捜査でバラバラ殺人事件の真相を追う。共演は高橋克典ほか。

He's a core archetype used for building modern detective types
eM3sHwp.jpg

The TV show Furuhata Ninzaburo was wildly popular in Japan. It's not just a parody of Columbo, it's basically a direct copy of Columbo - odd talking detective who everyone thinks is a fool cuz he asks a lot of off-the-cuff questions (while scratching his head), culminating in the final gotcha scene where he spills the beans.
Neat. Gonna have to check these two out. Also RIP Tamura Masakazu 😔

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, Columbo is rad. I loved getting back into the series when they put free episodes up on YT. Also, this clip of Fiona Apple gushing about Columbo recently resurfaced, and it's really sweet.

View: https://twitter.com/JFrankensteiner/status/1569884521922707459

I believe it's in reference to this, I haven't seen a video of it.

View: https://twitter.com/DaisySpiers/status/1579381219506020352

OMG, thanks for sharing. I knew there was a reason I loved Fiona Apple.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Remember he has caught Captain Kirk twice and Spock once

ThankeeSai

Oct 25, 2017
One of my all time favourite shows and easily my favourite detective series.

One of my favourites ever is "Candidate for Crime" with Jackie Cooper. The way Columbo finally gets his man is great.

Old episodes are played back to back here in the UK every Sunday on a channel called 5 USA. So Sundays are pretty much always a Columbo day in our house 😅

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I remember in the early 2000s seeing promos for the TV movie 'Columbo Loves the Nightlife' or something like that. It had Columbo going to raves I assume to save the innocent teens who got caught up in the wrong crowd.

It looked unintentionally hilarious, and from time to time it pops into my head and I think about trying to track it down to watch it. I can only imagine it handled the topic with subtlety of 'a very special episode' of an 80s sitcom.

TBH the episode isn't really like that, and to my recollection isn't really about saving teens or anything lol, It's tongue in cheek and it's one of the 'lighter' Columbo episodes, but it's otherwise pretty tonally consistent with the way he evolved over the 30 year show and is just a typical murder case episode. The solution is pretty wacky for that one, too.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I remember in the early 2000s seeing promos for the TV movie 'Columbo Loves the Nightlife' or something like that. It had Columbo going to raves I assume to save the innocent teens who got caught up in the wrong crowd.

It looked unintentionally hilarious, and from time to time it pops into my head and I think about trying to track it down to watch it. I can only imagine it handled the topic with subtlety of 'a very special episode' of an 80s sitcom.
Fun fact, that's not a TV movie (actually shorter than most Columbo episodes). It was the last episode as well. Series finale.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Columbo is timeless. It's aged perfectly and the premise makes it easily rewatchable.

Feb 7, 2022
It's a brilliant concept and they pull it off so well despite the audience knowing all the beats. The real treat is watching Falk interact with the celebrity villains. Those smug assholes. Columbo is the real people's champ. The Nimoy episode is just 🤌

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I adore Columbo, even the duffers. I love the fact that he was basically ripped off of Dostoyevsky.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
He is like the ultimate underdog. Only that he isn't really an underdog, at least the audience knows that he isn't, but it is how he presents himself. Kind of a fascinating character.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I still think now is the perfect time for a new Columbo. There are so many new celebrities or even types of celebrities that would give a sense of catharsis to see taken down.

Let's have Columbo bringing down PewDiePie, Elon Musk, Tucker Calson, Donald Trump and so on.