Oct 25, 2017
United States
JT36D.jpg

Me after the
Whirlwind Maze
scene near the beginning of FF7R

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
For someone that didn't played a lot of the original FFVII and forgot most of what played, I get the new one is different because I remember the Midgar section ending was different, but what makes this game a sequel by playing just this first part?
About Part II they where bold and I loved.
Edit:
Actual spoilers:

Sephiroth did some timey wimey shenanigans to try and change the fact that he lost in the OG game, the planet sent out the Arbiters of Fate to correct anything he changed, Sephiroth tricks the players into destroying the Arbiters of Fate at the end of the VII Remake Part 1, thus setting the stage for the plot to go anywhere from this point on. So, basically, the game is a "Sequel" to the original in that Sephiroth has knowledge of the OG events and is actively working to subvert them. This has also led to the survival in some fashion (possibly in alternate timelines) of certain characters who were quite dead in the original.

I personally still think the rest of the series is going to stick to the 85 percent remake/15 percent crazy sequel shit ratio that Part 1 established.
Join us down this wonderful rabbit hole:

Skip to 26 minutes for what we are talking about in the thread. It's damn near the rest of the video with how deep this goes.

Cool, imagine if Sephiroth wins this time rs
I should have finished the original before playing, I have PS4 version, this reveal would have more impact on me playing.
what in the end already shows the result of Sephiroth's interference? and how would he know he lost in the original?
the remake recognizes that the original happened and Sephi-boy seems to be trying to fuck with the timeline in order to make it so he wins in the end instead.its a remake in the truest sense in that they aren't retelling the story. It's getting made again with entities that are aware of what happened the first time around.
Tks, but I don't get how Sephiroth has this knowledge, I must have missed, I forgot most of the game.

Last edited:

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the best in that it completely fooled everyone... and the worst in that I didn't like playing as the other character at all. I should go back and see if time has changed my opinion at all. I was an angry 20-something back then. LOL
Raiden is an amazing analog for the player.
I highly recommend reading this essay. It's a bit long but it perfectly breaks down what MGS2 was aiming for.

D-T-G || Driving Off the Map

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For someone that didn't played a lot of the original FFVII and forgot most of what played, I get the new one is different because I remember the Midgar section ending was different, but what makes this game a sequel by playing just this first part?

the remake recognizes that the original happened and Sephi-boy seems to be trying to fuck with the timeline in order to make it so he wins in the end instead.its a remake in the truest sense in that they aren't retelling the story. It's getting made again with entities that are aware of what happened the first time around.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Sephiroth in the game is very likely the OG Sephiroth from post-Advent-Children who somehow went back in time to try to win.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
Edit:

what in the end already shows the result of Sephiroth's interference? and how would he know he lost in the original?

The Zack timeline and Aerith and Red XIII seeing visions of the future and Advent Children. The Fate ghosts constantly trying to make sure that the correct timeline happens(one example being Cloud almost kills one of the Turks which didn't happen in the original among many other examples). Sephiroth gives hints on what he says. Also read the monster descriptions on the fate ghosts.

The writers were trying to not be too obvious and over the top with all of the hints they laid out. If they did that people would have complained more.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah everyone was thinking Dina was gonna die prerelease and there was already "bury your gays trope" sort of concern from the jump.

They also made it seem like Joel was going to help Ellie on a revenge trip, so while you think he could of died, you think it'd be much later in the game.

Just great misdirection, we all fell for it pretty hard. Now we know to never trust a ND trailer lol we've been warned.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
The Sephiroth in the game is very likely the OG Sephiroth from post-Advent-Children who somehow went back in time to try to win.
The Zack timeline and Aerith and Red XIII seeing visions of the future and Advent Children. The Fate ghosts constantly trying to make sure that the correct timeline happens(one example being Cloud almost kills one of the Turks which didn't happen in the original among many other examples). Sephiroth gives hints on what he says. Also read the monster descriptions on the fate ghosts.

The writers were trying to not be too obvious and over the top with all of the hints they laid out. If they did that people would have complained more.
I think I should watch Advent Children and play both games again. This is really cool.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah everyone was thinking Dina was gonna die prerelease and there was already "bury your gays trope" sort of concern from the jump.

They also made it seem like Joel was going to help Ellie on a revenge trip, so while you think he could of died, you think it'd be much later in the game.

Just great misdirection, we all fell for it pretty hard. Now we know to never trust a ND trailer lol we've been warned.
The only "leak" I saw was the fake 4chan one from like February that said there was a cult that specifically targets LGBT people and they kill Dina at the start, and Ellie goes after them. I knew how ridiculously fake it was, but it still shows what people thought.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
The only "leak" I saw was the fake 4chan one from like February that said there was a cult that specifically targets LGBT people and they kill Dina at the start, and Ellie goes after them. I knew how ridiculously fake it was, but it still shows what people thought.
The only thing I knew before playing was Abby's name, was spoiled in a thread here, nothing more, but playing with her wasn't a surprise, because the Paris trailer was pretty clear to me she was playable at that point, I was expecting Ellie/Her (didn't know her name until near the release) to be playable and hoping for Joel, the surprise was the reason behind and how they did the switch.
Well done Neil.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Cool, imagine if Sephiroth wins this time rs
I should have finished the original before playing, I have PS4 version, this reveal would have more impact on me playing.

Tks, but I don't get how Sephiroth has this knowledge, I must have missed, I forgot most of the game.
Nothing is outright stated, so we're in the realm of speculation and interpretation, but here are a few clues. Spoilers for VII Remake and the Original in here:
Sephiroth shows himself to Cloud after the first reaction, which doesn't happen in the original. This would normally delay him stop him from meeting Aerith on the street. When he does meet Aerith, she's been beset by Arbiters, who seemingly have kept her distracted until Cloud shows up, correcting the issue.

Barret doesn't intend to bring Cloud and Tifa on the second reactor run, as in the original. Instead, he intends to go with the rest of the Avalanche crew. The Whispers attack the bar, and injure Jessie, forcing Barret to take Tifa and Cloud. Again, the Whispers put the story back on track with the original.

In the Church with Aerith, Cloud has a vision of a particular scene from the original game. That vision did not exist in the original. Also, the Whispers save Aerith from falling off a Church balcony.

The Whispers stop Avalanche from preventing the Sector 7 plate from falling, leading to the death of Jessie and Biggs. Notably, Wedge survives despite dying here in the original, which may indicate the Whispers are losing some control. They seem to get him later though.

The real big one, Sephiroth stabs and seemingly kills Barret in Shinra tower. The Whispers straight out bring him back to life.

In the final fight, Sephiroth encourages the team to "defy destiny" and seems to give them visions which align with the end of the original game. Out of context, these visions look bad (Meteor and a fully overgrown Midgar with seemingly no life), and the Party defeats the Whispers to prevent these visions from happening. None of this was in the original at all. The Midgar section ended after the highway fight the big robot who's name I can't remember.

So the idea that "Sephiroth is from the future" mostly comes from the fact that he seems to know what's going to happen, and actively manipulates the party into going "off script". How he has this knowledge isn't explained yet, but the general speculation is that Sephiroth manipulated the Lifestream to go back in time.

Basically, it's something of a sequel because there are characters and forces in the game that are actively working with and responding to the events of the original game.

Last edited:

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing is outright stated, so we're in the realm of speculation and interpretation, but here are a few clues. Spoilers for VII Remake and the Original in here:
Sephiroth shows himself to Cloud after the first reaction, which doesn't happen in the original. This would normally delay him stop him from meeting Aerith on the street. When he does meet Aerith, she's been beset by Arbiters, who seemingly have kept her distracted until Cloud shows up, correcting the issue.

Barret doesn't intend to bring Cloud and Tifa on the second reactor run, as in the original. Instead, he intends to go with the rest of the Avalanche crew. The Whispers attack the bar, and injure Jessie, forcing Barret to take Tifa and Cloud. Again, the Whispers put the story back on track with the original.

In the Church with Aerith, Cloud has a vision of a particular scene from the original game. That vision did not exist in the original. Also, the Whispers save Aerith from falling off a Church balcony.

The Whispers stop Avalanche from preventing the Sector 7 plate from falling, leading to the death of Jessie and Biggs. Notably, Wedge survives despite dying here in the original, which may indicate the Whispers are losing some control. They seem to get him later though.

The real big one, Sephiroth stabs and seemingly kills Barret in Shinra tower. The Whispers straight out bring him back to life.

In the final fight, Sephiroth encourages the team to "defy destiny" and seems to give them visions which align with the end of the original game. Out of context, these visions look bad (Meteor and a fully overgrown Midgar with seemingly no life), and the Party defeats the Whispers to prevent these visions from happening. None of this was in the original at all. The Midgar section ended after the highway fight the big robot who's name I can't remember.

So the idea that "Sephiroth is from the future" mostly comes from the fact that he seems to know what's going to happen, and actively manipulates the party into going "off script". How he has this knowledge isn't explained yet, but the general speculation is that Sephiroth manipulated the Lifestream to go back in time.

Basically, it's something of a sequel because there are characters and forces in the game that are actively working with and responding to the events of the original game.
Thank you very much, this all makes sense, I didn't catch playing because I didn't remember most of the original, but I remember the highway escape against the robot being the end of Midgar.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017

yeah lol I remember a lot of Abby is Ellie's mom speculation too. Even though people were on the right path with Ghost Joel they threw people off the scent with how they presented their footage.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the people that want remake to follow the plot as closely as possible are just coping with the fact remake isn't really a remake. Personally, I want them to do more crazy unexpected stuff. Now that the whispers are gone, I think it would kinda suck if they just followed the og plot and would ruin the setup/ending from part 1. I don't think they will kill Aerith now either, I'm surprised most people seem to think she is guaranteed to die. I think the end of the remake saga will be very different from the OG ending.

I'm very happy with what they did with remake, it was easily the most interesting game from last year and blows my mind that they made a sequel disguised as a remake and did it so well. So well in fact that a good chunk of people don't even realize it's a sequel and thought the ending was just a bad Nomura trip that will be ignored in future parts.

I don't mind them making changes. I just want those changes to be... Good lol. Different strokes, but the cheapening of death in 7R is insane.

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
The changes in VIIR were awesome and I say that as someone who loves the OG but dislikes the Compilation.

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
While I understand the main ones in the OP, I wasn't very impressed with Arkham Knight, and the whole "He's an original character guys" shtick that Rocksteady did. It was incredibly obvious what his real identity was, ahead of release.

Even in the first interaction ingame, it becomes crystal celar.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
FF7 Remake selling itself as a remake that I, as someone who dared to not be born in peak Gaming Boomer years, could use to experience a story that is apparently one of the best in gaming. Instead I got something that is kind of that but is mostly just catered towards those lucky enough to be born when FF7 wasn't antiquated and spoiled for everyone. It's drastically reduced any excitement I had for future instalments because I know that these games clearly ain't made for me.

I played the original FF VII for the first time on PS4, and it's on every platform now. The remaster has many QoL options.

Nov 4, 2017
This thread has made me super glad I didn't bother with FFVIIr. I knew they had made story changes (which is fine if they add depth/context), but I hate "alt-timeline, they're both equally real" settings unless that's the main thrust of the story. There are only so many gimmicks a setting can have before it feels ridiculous to me. So, thank you all for the heads up. Honestly.

I absolutely loved the TLOU2 dual-protagonist setup. I didn't know about the Abby half of the game, so it was a complete surprise to me and I got the most out of that ride of starting out thinking "Oh no I don't want to be this asshole..." Then going on the journey to realise a lot of people are being jerks in the situation.

The Raiden MGS2 switch angered me as a teen... But then I eventually grew to appreciate being the young dude taken under Snake's wing.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I played the original FF VII for the first time on PS4, and it's on every platform now. The remaster has many QoL options.

It being accessible, albeit still highly antiquated and in a genre that's grown much less popular over the years, doesn't make it any less of a Boomer game. You can't suddenly take away the years of it being a cultural phenomenon you weren't a part of, or the numerous times it's been spoiled only for people to argue that it's your fault because your 10 year old self wasn't interested in seeking out old-ass JRPGs to play. The experience that people who were around for when it came out is gone forever, and that's the primary kind of experience that FFVIIr is capitalising on.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It being accessible, albeit still highly antiquated and in a genre that's grown much less popular over the years, doesn't make it any less of a Boomer game. You can't suddenly take away the years of it being a cultural phenomenon you weren't a part of, or the numerous times it's been spoiled only for people to argue that it's your fault because your 10 year old self wasn't interested in seeking out old-ass JRPGs to play. The experience that people who were around for when it came out is gone forever, and that's the primary kind of experience that FFVIIr is capitalising on.
I mean, the game is ultimately a remake either way, so it was always going to be that. I don't really see the issue. There are also new FF games for new generations to have their own game like that for.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
people surprised that a main character dying in a sequel to a zombie apocalypse story bewilder me

For real. I didn't pay too much attention to the hype cycle, but I heard "ellie revenge story" and immediately knew Joel wasn't lasting very long.

I think most of the surprise though tbf comes less from him dying and more the unceremonious quality of his death.

Again though, last of us didn't really tend to have big death scenes really, so I'm not sure why people were thinking differently for Joel.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I mean, the game is ultimately a remake either way, so it was always going to be that. I don't really see the issue. There are also new FF games for new generations to have their own game like that for.

My generation's Final Fantasy games are the 13 trilogy, an MMO, and 15 lol

And, really, it's not like I have it out for the game or anything. I really loved some of the moments in there and, if it weren't for that ending and the whole timeline-whatever bullshit, I would have loved the game as a whole despite its shortcomings. But I just can't get invested when, say, a cartoon cat I've never seen and don't know about appears at random during the game's most pivotal emotional scene or when, say, the game starts cutting to a moment that I'm expected to know and care about during its final cutscenes. Moments like those just tell me that the game isn't for me, that it's not trying to emotionally endear itself to me because I'm expected to have an emotional attachment to a game that, at this point, might as well be homework.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Again though, last of us didn't really tend to have big death scenes really, so I'm not sure why people were thinking differently for Joel.
A lot of people thought Joel "deserved" to be the exception because he was a rugged "badass" cowboy and there was no way a girl could kill him like Abby.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
So, in short, the FF7 remake is some time loop shenanigans? Is this now a true Kingdom Hearts game in that you have to go see all the other FF7 related media to figure out the story, or no?

OP
OP
jman1954goat

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
A lot of people thought Joel "deserved" to be the exception because he was a rugged "badass" cowboy and there was no way a girl could kill him like Abby.
Joel got a shotgun to the back of the knee. I'm pretty sure I could take out Joel in that situation.

P.S. Abby likely beats Joel in a fair fight she is an active soldier and joel is past his prime.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So, in short, the FF7 remake is some time loop shenanigans? Is this now a true Kingdom Hearts game in that you have to go see all the other FF7 related media to figure out the story, or no?

Not yet at the very least. The advent children connection is there... But kind of unimportant. I expect crisis core might be relevant as the remake series goes on tho tbh

Joel got a shotgun to the back of the knee. I'm pretty sure I could take out Joel in that situation. P.S. Abby likely beats Joel in a fair fight she is an active soldier and joel is past his prime.

Yeah, Joel is what? Like 60 in part 2? He should be outclassed by someone trained as a soldier.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
It rocks. It's almost impossible to keep big secrets of that scale, so I love it when devs manage to pull it off. Lie to me, baby.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I tuned out of TLOU2's marketing partway through, but I wasn't a fan of how they handled that.

There's misleading, then there's selling people on moments that don't occur.

wastingmyyouth

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
Just like MGS2, I've been a big fan of TLOU2 and FF7R's strategic marketing.

I'm also a big fan of how Nintendo handled Age of Calamity, but sad to see this one remains so controversial with the vocal minority.

I guess I just don't take my primary hobby of 30+ years as seriously as some others do.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Thinking about it, it's actually kind of crazy how they managed to pull it off with FFVIIR, it's really comparable to what MGS2 did, something people would say it's impossible to pull off these days because of the internet and leaks.

Pyccko

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I personally would have preferred a boring-1:1-remake-but-with-pwetty-gwafix for FF7, but I would never fault the devs for doing something new that they felt passionate about

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
FFVIIR pisses me off honestly. I wanted to play FFVII when I was a kid (2003), but didn't have the money and when I did I couldn't find it (didn't know how to shop online). When that PS3 tech demo came out I decided to wait for a remake, we finally get it and it's cut into pieces, plays completely differently, and doesn't even have the same fucking story, and nearly every FFVII die hard I see is like "You should play the original before you play the remake." I waited all that time for nothing.

bottledfox

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The ending of FFVIIR being unintelligible to someone who hasn't played the original is not something I personally appreciated.

hunnies28

Sep 16, 2020
As someone who never played the original, but know the major plot points from the game I don't really mind the changes made to the story hopefully it pays of and doesn´t end up being a complety mess like KH.

Having said that, I really have to put an effort to actually play Remake. The game keeps cutting me off to show me some minor stuff and forcing me to walk instead of letting me control Cloud. I also really hate the hold button to do thing trend and distinctly remember a door in Corneo's place that while playing as Cloud you have to hold triangle to open but somehow Aerith doesn't. I also don't get why the game had to be split into two (?) parts.

Sorry for the rant, if anything this thread made me realize that I should probably just watch a let's play from the point I am and save me the hassle.

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth that's Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Sephiroth is a time traveler from Advent Children. Time travel has a habit of changing events or causing alternate timelines. With good writers this could lead to interesting possibilities.
Can't wait for Aerith to come from nowhere and stab sephiroth in the back, then have cloud sink him in the water.