Brink

Dec 18, 2017
I got my Switch back in October. I have a Wii U, and I thought that from a design standpoint it was very much the wrong direction. I didn't 'get' the need for the tablet, and found the software library to be more than lacking. When I saw the Switch though, it absolutely clicked for me. This was what the Vita should have been. I love the design, the build quality, the concept - I even love its stripped back dashboard.

And the games! In year 1 we had a port of the best Mario Kart they've made, as well as new iterations of Zelda and Mario, all handheld! I'm not a massive fan of Mario and Zelda, but even I have admit that this is a pretty bloody strong launch year.

So I buy my Switch back in October. I get Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart, Mario Rabbids and Zelda. At first it was great, largely because of the notion of being able to dock and undock and essentially never have to suffer through start menus ever again. I finished Odyssey (it was fine), finished Mario Kart (it was good!), put down Zelda after the first dungeon and played a few hours of Rabbids.

And... that's kind of it? The software well has dried up and no matter what I try to pull myself back in, I come up short. I bought Xenoblade, and it's okay. It has a lot more tedium than I'd like. I bought FE Warriors, and again it's fine. I put in a few hours and I dropped it. Most recently I bought Splatoon, and it just straight up isn't for me. I do not like it at all. I feel like I'm just spending money on games that I don't really like because I so desperately want to enjoy something on my Switch. And these aren't cheap games either - because it's Nintendo, these are at least £40 a pop, sometimes £50.

And this year's 'releases' aren't helping matters. Tropical Freeze is one of my favourite games on the Wii U (one of the only ones I really, really enjoyed), but I'm not paying another £50 to play it on Switch when I have the disc sat on my shelf next to me.

I don't know when or if I will have a game on the Switch that I think is more than just 'okay', but I hope it's not too long because I love the platform. I'm not supporting it in buying any more games that I don't particularly care for though..

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
I can empathize with you on the rereleases as a Wii U and Switch owner.

If you look past Nintendo released games, you'll find some good stuff. Stardew Valley is an ideal Switch game for me although the time it takes to save games is a bit silly.

There's TONS of old arcade games on there, but I do hope Nintendo steps up original games soon. Bit tired of the rereleases at this point.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
You probably want to specify what genres you are into. Maybe give Doom or Skyrim a look? Or any of the most well known indies?

Or maybe sell it all if you really can't find anything you like.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
You shouldn't have bought it if you aren't that much into Zelda and Mario, nothing wrong with waiting till the library grows.

Apr 27, 2018
I was really super tempted on getting a Switch for mainly portable;e Skyrim and Animal Crossing, but decided against it.

On one hand, Skyrim on the go is freaking sweet. But on the other hand, it's the legendary edition without mods. Oh and Animal Crossing. It's taking Nintendo forever to push out another Animal Crossing game. It's already been 6 years already.

OP
OP
Brink

Brink

Dec 18, 2017
Have you checked out any indie games or other smaller downloadable titles? For my money both Sonic Mania and Celeste are no brainers on Switch.
I have them both on PS4. I think the PS4 pad is better for tricky platformers. Celeste seems like it would be hell on Switch.

You shouldn't have bought it if you aren't that much into Zelda and Mario, nothing wrong with waiting till the library grows.
I bought into the hype surrounding the games, and my own interest in the hardware. As a platform, I think it's absolutely brilliant.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
El Capitan Todd comes out in July. I had it on Wii-U but I'm double dipping because there's a new world based on New Donk City.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the library for the Switch is really weak as of now. Mine is collecting dust. I bought it because I knew a pokemon/FE/Smash are going to be released in a year or so, and it was on a sale. Only game I didn't feel bored by after an hour was Mario Kart.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
What games/genre do you even like to play.

Seems like you're not into a lot of nintendo franchises

Look into indie games I guess.

I bought a Wii u for smash 4 same with switch. But I am warming up to other nintendo series. Slowly.

Btw I kinda dislike the switch hardware. Its such a hallow system both inside and outside. Joy cons are ass to play with but hurray it's portable I guess

Martoridley

Oct 29, 2017
Why do we have so many of these threads recently? Be patient, we're only barely over a year since launch, I'm fairly certain there'll be a steady stream of non-port games in the future.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
We had a huge windstorm last night and was without power for 8+ hours.

Would have been a perfect opportunity to play Switch if ykno, it didn't have a trashbin tier release schedule this year (no, I'm not interested in years old ports for full price)

Ended up playing Trails of Cold Steel on Vita.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
The only indie game that's required playing is Shovel Knight and maybe Shantae. The rest are give or take.

Windrunner

Sly
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not feeling the Switch either. The absence of any games services, cloud saves, party functionality and achievements make me not want to switch it on, it just feels solitary and disconnected. Portability aside, playing games on other consoles is just a better experience for me.

Rival

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Midlands
I feel the exact same as you. I'm buying games I already own just to validate my switch purchase and then not even bothering to play them after an hour or so

Oct 25, 2017
The eShop is your friend.
Lots of quality titles to choose from that are up there in terms of quality with some of the best.
Celeste is pretty fantastic as is Steamworld dig 2. If you only buy retail games then I'd get some of the disappointment, but try delving in there every once in awhile.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
As mentioned already, indie games may help with this. Golf Story, Steamworld Dig 2, and Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove (for Specter Knight especially) are three of my top recommended games on the system. And not that it's an indie title, but I cannot contain my excitement for Octopath Traveler these days (2 more months!)

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
I feel like people are forgetting the system is only in its second year, new consoles usually don't start with a huge library or do they? I remember the start of the last generation were it was mostly broken games or cross gen stuff, there wasn't much to play. I think that the Switch has the best first year for a console since quite a while. I have already built a backlog for my Switch, there is too much to play for me. But everyone has their own tastes.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems like you don't like a lot of games OP.

With that said year 2 for Switch is off to a very mediocre start.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah if you're not a Nintendo diehard who likes most all their IP, big portable gamer and/or lover of indies you kind of just have to accept that Nintendo platforms just get used for a few games a year.

I'm fine with that as that's been the case with me from the N64 on and I don't want to miss the Nintendo games I do enjoy.

OP
OP
Brink

Brink

Dec 18, 2017
As mentioned already, indie games may help with this. Golf Story, Steamworld Dig 2, and Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove (for Specter Knight especially) are three of my top recommended games on the system. And not that it's an indie title, but I cannot contain my excitement for Octopath Traveler these days (2 more months!)

To be fair, I did buy and enjoy Steamworld Dig 2. Golf Story I also bought, but I'm not a huge fan. Very funny, but I don't think it plays overly well. Octopath will hopefully be great, but the asking price seems very bloody steep for what it is.

It's gonna be a lists thread isn't it?
Also, you "finished" Mario Kart???

If you can't accept 'played through Grand Prix mode' as finished, then consider that I finished playing it. The take away from that is that I'm done with it, one way or the other.

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
Any perceived holes in Switch's games lineup is the fault of 3rd Parties who really failed to step up to the mark this time. Nintendo has been putting out so many fantastic releases, I can only imagine how great the library would be if more of the other developers did the same.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
It's kind of the reason why I canceled my pre-order on launch. I wasn't too comfortable being an early adopter with games I didn't feel will keep me in for the long haul for the 1st year(i'm one of the odd balls who doesn't care all that much for mainline mario and zelda titles, but by no means do I think they're bad). It's especially a bummer if we're alike, in that I don't care for indies enough for the switch to be a "indie machine" as other's have put it(again, not that indie titles are in any way mediocre, I just don't care for the genre's that flood the indie market, and I STILL don't have a good Megaman X/Zero/ZX indie inspired game which I actually DO want). Sucks if you're in a little drought right now, but this year still has more to deliver with stuff like smash and FE if you're into those titles. Hopefully E3 has some announcements that get you excited for the rest of the year dude.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
If Mario and Zelda didn't grab you, I'm guessing most Nintendo games aren't for you. I actually have the opposite problem. I have WAAAAY too much to play on Switch and probably won't be touching my PS4 for a while now that I finished GoW

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
User Warned: Thread-whining.
What are the point of these threads? Switch has tons of critically acclaimed games, why make a thread saying you don't like good games? - comes off as trollish. Seems like a personal thing.

OP
OP
Brink

Brink

Dec 18, 2017
What are the point of these threads? Switch has tons of critically acclaimed games, why make a thread saying you don't like good games? - comes off as trollish. Seems like a personal thing.
I wanted to discuss the disappointing situation that I find myself in.

You taking this as a troll thread seems like a personal thing. I haven't insulted the quality of any games whatsoever...

How dare I politely say that a game isn't for me? The outrage!

ThankeeSai

Oct 25, 2017

My man.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
I have them both on PS4. I think the PS4 pad is better for tricky platformers. Celeste seems like it would be hell on Switch.

I bought into the hype surrounding the games, and my own interest in the hardware. As a platform, I think it's absolutely brilliant.

If you prefer the ps4 controller, a mayflash magic adapter allows you to use it on switch. Having the ability to take a game with you has a lot of value even if you only do it once in a while.

Eldainorn

Oct 29, 2017
Slovenia, Europe
Everyone who owns a switch should totally play Golf Story. It took me by surprised, I love this game. One of my favourites now! Basically it is a golf RPG.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
When you buy a Nintendo console you kind of expect this. You buy it to play Nintendo games. I think the Switch library is pretty strong all things considered, thanks in large part to indies and Wii U ports. The library is significantly weaker if you have a Wii U or have played the indies on other platforms of course. The prices for some of these games is incredibly disappointing though. Cave Story for $30 for example..ugh

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ya I absolutely agree, wuu owners arent really going to be as enticed for most ports and the games they have that are new have been ranging from okay to pretty bad imho. The only one I think thats stands out is Xenoblade surprisingly. The lineup this year is just okay for now (im sure e3 will bring more), but so far it isnt mind blowing like some make it out to be for me personally

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
Idk man.. I'm a Wii U owner and I've really enjoyed collection of games on Switch.

I've really enjoyed BotW, Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Steamworld Dig 2, Golf Story, Mario Rabbids, Sonic Mania, Super Bomberman R, Fire Emblem Warriors, Xenoblade 2, Romancing SaGa 2, Snipperclips, Celeste, Kirby, and Nine Parchments

That's not even counting ports that I've enjoyed either revisiting or playing for the first time like Darkest Dungeon, Doom, Skyrim Puyo Puyo Tetris, Stardew Valley, Super Meat Boy, and Binding of Isaac.

Some of those ports above actually were more enjoyable on Switch than when I originally tried them simply due to the flexibility in ways I could play them and fit them into my schedule. Still, it seems like you didn't enjoy many of the games I've listed, which is fine. Everyone has their tastes and opinions. If the games aren't working for you, but they're working for other people, maybe the system isn't worth owning for you right now.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I'm of the opposite oppinion as you.
I love the games on the Switch ( I have 10 games or so at this moment), but I don't care about the handheld aspect of the machine.
It's a great idea, but I only play docked, so if the machine was a more powerful home console I would like it more.
If I can play something on PC, I play on PC, and I use Ps4 and Switch only for the exclusives.
As I love Nintendo games, I use Switch a lot more than Ps4, and I think that the ammount of GREAT games (especially for the peoplo who never bought a WiiU) on the Switch is incredible considering that the console has been out for a year and two months.

Deleted member 9714

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To be fair, I did buy and enjoy Steamworld Dig 2. Golf Story I also bought, but I'm not a huge fan. Very funny, but I don't think it plays overly well. Octopath will hopefully be great, but the asking price seems very bloody steep for what it is.
[/QUOTE

It's a full-fledged classic RPG. There's nothing wrong with the MSRP.

EvoTech

Banned
Dec 30, 2017
Game selection is the reason why I haven't bought one yet, I'm at least holding out for Pokemon