Deleted member 4518

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's really not a wasteland. There's dozens of really great games. Without doing the arbitrary and annoying moving of goalposts to discount games I really don't see how it can be described as such.
I feel crazy for feeling like I have too many games to play on the platform, while others feel like it's basically empty.

It really depends on what games you're looking for I guess. I couldn't care less for a lot of the bigger titles, but there's a ton of indie support on the console which is I what I look for more than the big budget releases. I only have a few on my PS4/XBO too.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
It's really not a wasteland. There's dozens of really great games. Without doing the arbitrary and annoying moving of goalposts to discount games I really don't see how it can be described as such.
There are dozens of great games on anything. Phone, Wii U, PC, etc. having dozens of great games doesn't differentiate it.

I had a Wii U. I'm not interested in those games, especially for $60. I like Skyrim, but got the SE for free because I had already gotten it and the DLC years ago. I'm not paying $59.99 to have it on the go, lol

The list of games I'm excited for this year is really short. RDR2 and... just saying Nintendo needs to bring big guns to E3.

Not everyone gets excited over every new release.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel crazy for feeling like I have too many games to play on the platform, while others feel like it's basically empty.

It really depends on what games you're looking for I guess. I couldn't care less for a lot of the bigger titles, but there's a ton of indie support on the console which is I what I look for more than the big budget releases. I only have a few on my PS4/XBO too.

Yeah it's just subjective taste. I love big budget, narrative driven cinematic games. I'd play nothing else if there where enough of them coming out to fill my 20-30+ hour gaming weeks. There's not so MP service games, Nintendo games and some fighters and indies fill the gaps.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I'm not feeling the Switch either. The absence of any games services, cloud saves, party functionality and achievements make me not want to switch it on, it just feels solitary and disconnected. Portability aside, playing games on other consoles is just a better experience for me.
That's actually an interesting standpoint. I love the Switch but I agree. But I also think Nintendo will have something huge up their sleeve with the upcoming proper Online Service. I expect everything everybody is asking for, like Virtual Console, Media Apps, Cloud Save, Party Function, Chatting, more UI Features in general.

I would also love to see Trophies!

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
That's actually an interesting standpoint. I love the Switch but I agree. But I also think Nintendo will have something huge up their sleeve with the upcoming proper Online Service. I expect everything everybody is asking for, like Virtual Console, Media Apps, Cloud Save, Party Function, Chatting, more UI Features in general.

I personally don't care about any of that stuff. All I want from a Nintendo system is to be a standalone game box. Switch has been good in that aspect so far, and I think most people enjoy its simple UI, not feel like it's too bare.

Definitely not going to be using something that doesn't output 4K as any sort of media device, and Nintendo consoles are not where I would go for online games/chat/etc.

A couple big games would do them more good than all of those features combined, imo

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO

Honestly they can keep all of that aside from cloud saves and I'll be just fine.

Oct 30, 2017
People are just bad about stating personal interest or lack of interest of fact.

The library can be incredible to one person and a wasteland to another. It's not objective as it comes down to tastes and usage of the device. It's in between the two for me as someone who doesn't care about portability (and thus buys any multiplats including the few indies I love elsewhere) and only likes some of Nintendo's franchises.

People just need to stop stating opinions as strong facts. But that's the rage in today's share everyone and my opinion is the only correct one culture.
That sums up why these threads are always terrible.
I don't really like many AAA third party games, or AAA style in general like God of War, so for me, the PS4 largely is a Netflix and plex machine, but that's not to say it doesn't have great titles. It absolutely does.

Windrunner

Sly
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I hope so but I can't take this on faith; I have been disappointed too many times by Nintendo in this domain and this online service was supposed to launch last year.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
BOTW, Odyssey, Splatoon 2, XBC2, ARMS, Mario/Rabbids, MK8, DKTF, Kirby, Doom, Skyrim, Bayonetta 1/2, strong indy support......

Really not seeing the problem here for a console that recently passed the 1 year mark. Yeah, there are a lot of ports, but most in games that saw a limited audience (and I don't buy BOTW as a port - it had a concurrent release with a superior version and by 8 to 1 was played more often on the Switch). And there are a lot of original titles as well, including plenty that were in the GOTY overall and genre nominations. Moreover it offers a hybrid/portability concept that is compelling.

To me, maybe its a problem if you only own a Switch - but if you do and you don't like this line-up, maybe you just don't like nintendo games and should consider a different console. If you own other platforms, then I really have a hard time seeing how anyone could be disappointed with the Switch line-up - again, unless you don't like Nintendo games. We are just a few months removed from arguably nintendo's strongest software year ever.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
I get you OP. I think the Switch is the console everybody loves to love despite not having a huge library yet. There really isn't a stream of AAA tittles, but I find the Switch perfect for pixel-art games like Celeste and Sonic Mania.

I'm also very excited about playing MegaMan X collection there.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
I watched some videos for it, I don't like the art style or the way the main character looks like a pixel at least from what I can tell.

You sir are gaming snob. I can't even process what you just said. So you could discredit the timeless classic game-play of something like pong, or even Pac-Man because of "pixels". Don't get me wrong, pixels, polygons, are my livelihood; they have their place and importance. Yet gameplay should, and always comes first when speaking about video games. Yet to miss something as special as Celeste (that has beautiful pixel art btw) is just confusing to me, and questions your understanding of the medium.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You sir are gaming snob. I can't even process what you just said. So you could discredit the timeless classic game-play of something like pong, or even Pac-Man because of "pixels". Don't get me wrong, pixels, polygons, are my livelihood; they have their place and importance. Yet gameplay should, and always comes first when speaking about video games. Yet to miss something as special as Celeste (that has beautiful pixel art btw) is just confusing to me, and questions your understanding of the medium.
No a snob is a person who thinks his taste is better objectively for arbitrary reasons. He's just said it doesn't appeal to him personally.

In fact your comment was more snobby!

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with you OP. I thought Odyssey was just okay and traded it in once I was done with it. Zelda is a good game but I can't bring myself to want to play it after the first Divine beast. Splatoon was okay but got boring after a few hours. I don't really care for kart racers, as I'm more of a GT/Forza guy.

They haven't announced anything to get me excited. Oddly enough my PS3 took my Switch's hdmi port on my tv.

Why do we have so many of these threads recently? Be patient, we're only barely over a year since launch, I'm fairly certain there'll be a steady stream of non-port games in the future.
Not OP, but if previous consoles are to go by then I'm not so sure. Nintendo haven't exactly instilled confidence in a steady stream of third and first party releases.

Plus third parties are still going to focus on Xbox and PS, and with the refresh consoles out its even harder for someone to have to port down. That won't exactly just change unfortunately.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah no, much like the poster above me I feel your post is more snobbish then his. There is absolutely nothing wrong with not liking the art style of a game. Quite a few indie games follow the same 8/16bit look that they have for years, I can completely understand why someone wouldn't care for it.

Why would someone play something that they have to look at but hate the way it looks just because it plays well. As an example Psychonauts is a great game, I know this. I refuse to play the game because how it looks.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
So somebody disliking the work of an artist in our medium (one as talented as the one who made art for Celeste) can't be called for what he is!? In my case a snob, because as he stated "pixels" for characters are beneath him. Yet I'm the snob??? For defending the artist(s) who showed effort/vulnerability/Craft and actually put forth something into this world that required it?

Jesus I wonder why I even spend time here sometimes....

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So somebody disliking the work of an artist in our medium (one as talented as the one who made art for Celeste) can't be called for what he is!? In my case a snob, because as he stated "pixels" for characters are beneath him. Yet I'm the snob??? For defending the artist(s) who showed effort/vulnerability/Craft and actually put forth something into this world that required it?

Jesus I wonder why I even spend time here sometimes....
I don't think Celeste's art style is as impeccable as you think it is. Even in indie pixel game standard the art is nothing to write home about, and that is a very low standard. Maybe I am a snob, but games made 20 years ago have spoiled me. When I see a pixel game that can't animate facial expression, I pass.

Dynheart

Self-requested ban
Oct 31, 2017
I can't say I share the same opinion. I feel like there is too much to play, that fit my interest, that I feel overwhelmed. However, I feel the same way with my PS4. With as many games I cannot play, on both platforms, but buy anyway, I feel like I am preparing for retirement at this point. Just too much to play to stay current.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
I'm not exactly disappointed with the switch because with nintendo, software droughts are more the rule than the exception. At least this time they are getting some indie love which bulks out the offerings a bit.

I knew what I was getting into when I bought it. It was gonna be my Nintendo and ling distance travel machine. Also maybe if I was lucky it would get Japanese vita style support. I expected it to collect dust 8 months a year.

If anything support is a bit better than I expected I'm amazed they were able to get Bethesda on board. I haven't played any if their releases on switch, I'm not an on the go player and I own them all already. But I'm sure someone appreciates it.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
I don't think Celeste's art style is as impeccable as you think it is. Even in indie pixel game standard the art is nothing to write home about, and that is a very low standard. Maybe I am a snob, but games made 20 years ago have spoiled me. When I see a pixel game that can't animate facial expression, I pass.

So you'll discredit (and not play/bash) an entire game with beautiful pixel art...that looks like this...
3344817-celeste_1.jpg

On the sole opinion and dislike of characters being void of facial details?

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Same here.

I love my Switch hardware but there is very little on the system I care about. I have bought all the "must-haves" but none of them have really resonated with me. But maybe some games coming out soon will and Smash is coming this year. So at this point it's just a matter of time, but it does make me feel like I've wasted money getting the Switch early for BotW.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Got the Switch for Nintendo games, otherwise I have little interest in what it has to offer. But I knew that going in.

Oct 25, 2017

Nah, I'm definitely overloaded with games on this thing, but I also have games that I'll be playing for years that are still in the mix, too, like NBA 2K and FIFA.

I bought Bombslinger and DKC: TF in the past month, and then next, I'm getting Runner 3, Captain Toad, and Mario Tennis Aces. I'm actually waiting on Hyrule Warriors because I honestly don't have time for all these games. My PS4 has been kinda neglected since I coompleted my last PES 18 season, tbh. I work all day and have stuff to do when I get home, so most of my game time is in bed for a couple hours before I go to sleep, and when I do have time on the weekends, the off-TV play is great because I can play and watch a soccer or basketball game at the same time.

I know that everyone uses the Switch differently, but man, if the Switch doesn't have games for you, you probably should be on PS4 or XB1 or PC instead entirely because it probably won't get much better than it is right now for games on Switch.

May 5, 2018
I'd say I've been pretty happy with my Switch and the games I've bought. Though the only 1st party games I own are Odyssey and BOTW. Sonic Mania is the only other AAA-ish game I have. Otherwise I'm liking all the indies I've bought. Wondering OP, have you played Battle Chef Brigade? Judging from the games you've played, I don't think you've touched that. It plays very well on the Switch.

I agree that it feels like a drought has hit Nintendo with a lack of first party titles/exclusives, but I think we'll get more down the line. Mario tennis Aces looks promising and I was gonna bring up Octopath Traveler, but OP just posted his concerns. I hope that turns out to be amazing though.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say I've been pretty happy with my Switch and the games I've bought. Though the only 1st party games I own are Odyssey and BOTW. Sonic Mania is the only other AAA-ish game I have. Otherwise I'm liking all the indies I've bought. Wondering OP, have you played Battle Chef Brigade? Judging from the games you've played, I don't think you've touched that. It plays very well on the Switch.

I agree that it feels like a drought has hit Nintendo with a lack of first party titles/exclusives, but I think we'll get more down the line. Mario tennis Aces looks promising and I was gonna bring up Octopath Traveler, but OP just posted his concerns. I hope that turns out to be amazing though.

A drought can't be really true when there's games from them in every month except january. I mean, you can say that it's not in your liking or that tou're not interested in ports but to say that it's a dry or a drought isn't true at all. A drough is what happened with the Wii U with months without a new software.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I somewhat agree, OP. A few other games to try (if you havent played them elsewhere) would be Skyrim (you probably already played it many times but if not, might as well), Xenoblade 2 (not great, but a decent RPG), Dragonball Xenoverse 2 (again, if you haven't played it), the new Atelier game (if crafting RPG is your cup of tea). Hyrule Warriors is coming out but it's a port and you probably played it since you had a Wii-U.

Dragon Quest Heroes 1&2 pack is rumored to come to the West and DQH2 is a pretty great game (Switch Port is shoddy apparently). Ys VIII is coming out in the summer and it's a good game marred by iffy NISA involvement. Disgaea 5 Compete is decent if you like those sorts of RPGs (grindy as all hell). There are a few other mid-tier RPGs coming out like Battle Chasers.

May 5, 2018
A drought can't be really true when there's games from them in every month except january. I mean, you can say that it's not in your liking or that tou're not interested in ports but to say that it's a dry or a drought isn't true at all. A drough is what happened with the Wii U with months without a new software.

Sorry, I meant to say drought of 1st party games that aren't Wii U ports. The last full on Switch exclusive we got was Kirby Star Allies. Also the Labo Kits came out, so those are the last pure exclusives you can only play on the Switch.

Last edited: