• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
My two cents as a straight man in this matter is that Sylvando's portrayal is empowering and just great overall, while I find his entourage's portrayal as deeply problematic.
Sylvando seemed fine but some of the followers he gets in the second half were a bit much and played too hard into the stereotype, I thought.
This is pretty much where I stand as well. Sylvando is certainly not "a butt of gay jokes", but his followers on the other hand, that's like their secondary function.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
They wouldnt have spent that much effort on the character if they saw him as a bad joke.

He's just cool.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I think it all comes from a good place, though I'm thoroughly confused as to whether Japan distinguishes between being gay and transgender. He calls himself "Sylvia" in the JP version of the game, and I seem to recall him speaking using feminine langauge, feminine pronouns etc. It's been quite a while though. He's more or less an "okama" stereotype, but the game portrays him in a positive light, and he's more than just the butt of jokes. He's meant to be seen as just as badass and capable as the other characters in the game, and has a character arc that affirms his identity.