• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 13, 2017
A while back I made a thread about how Dragon Quest XI just wasn't the game for me. Well low and behold, I decided to just stick with it and I've ended up quite liking it! One of the biggest reasons is because of Sylvando.

With LGBT representation being so incredibly limited in video games – especially Japanese video games (to the point where I consider Vanille and Fang gay just to beef up our numbers) – it's wonderful to see a gay character play a major role in a video game and being unapologetic about who he is. That being said...I can't help but wonder if Sylvando isn't actually meant to be a proud gay man, but rather an offensive caricature of what people think gay men act like.

There's this gray space between the creator's intention and the fans' interpretation that I'm operating in, where I recognize Sylvando as someone who isn't ashamed of who they are, but that's because I'm also a queer person and am playing through that perspective. On the other hand, to the average person, Sylvando might just be a total joke that is just a conglomeration of every gay stereotype you could possibly think of wrapped into one.

I also can't help but think of that DQXI composer who is also homophobic...who I realize (obviously) has no input on the character design, but the proximity of that mess and this character makes my brain do funky things.

What do you all think?

Bonus gifs that make me happy:

SatisfiedUncomfortableIraniangroundjay-size_restricted.gif

SlightBigheartedAegeancat-size_restricted.gif

tumblr_pijkll4L7y1s2wenvo2_500.gif

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
As a straight person I found him kind of offensive to be honest. He felt very clichéd and goofy to me, and i couldn't think but 'aren't we passed representation like this?'. I was a bit suprised how positive he was received by the gay community, so I'm probably wrong? :P

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never felt Sylvando was supposed to be a caricature. He's a fantastically flamboyant gay character with no tiresome tropes getting in the way. I don't know how the character could possibly be read otherwise.

That said, I'm a straight person, and my opinion holds less water than that of gay people. My general understanding is he was well received, but maybe I am wrong.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I'm gay, Sylvando is simply amazing, he doesn't mock gay people, he is practically a celebration of feminine gay men, he is loved by the characters and by his father.
He is not a joke character, he is not weak, he has an arc about acceptance.
I love Sylvando.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a straight person I found him kind of offensive to be honest. He felt very clichéd and goofy to me, and i couldn't think but 'aren't we passed representation like this?'. I was a bit suprised how positive he was received by the gay community, so I'm probably wrong? :P

I felt pretty much like this - surprised he was so praised

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think so, he's camp in the extreme but I don't think it's played for laughs particularly and he comes across as a likeable and well written character

CrazyIvan

Oct 26, 2017
Vermont
I wrestled with the same thing as I played through the game.

Where I personally landed was comparing him to the FABULOUS fierceness I see as an avid fan of RuPaul's Drag Race. Sylvando felt at home with that kind of flamboyant culture, and through that lens felt empowering. But that's also carrying my own personal view into the mix and might not be what the developers intended.

If they were going for caricature/stereotype, then they totally missed the mark for me, personally. He was fierce and brilliant in my book.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My reading as a straight man is that Sylvando is a bit stereotypical (that gay lisp is a bit much) but has too many awesome moments to hate the character.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Not a single character I encounter in the game made fun of him and his father even eventually get along with Sylvando's decisions. The opposite really. He even gets his own groupie and it was sweet when they share that connection and see the game just embraces it.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If he hits on everything that moves like I see some gay stereotypes doing, then it's a bad.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I'm gay, Sylvando is simply amazing, he doesn't mock gay people, he is practically a celebration of feminine gay men, he is loved by the characters and by his father.
I love Sylvando.

This, just when you expect his father to curse him out of town he only gets mad at Sylvando because he didn't finish his self ordered task (which wasn't what his father wanted but you ended up knowing that he supported all the way).

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
My two cents as a straight man in this matter is that Sylvando's portrayal is empowering and just great overall, while I find his entourage's portrayal as deeply problematic.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
He is unabashed, like i think there is definitely space for ppl to question his portrayal but at the same time he feels pretty singular. In the end he was just completely sylvando to me and not really representitive of anything but himself, i thought they did a pretty good job at keeping that vibe. Spoiler, the idea that him being one of the first ppl you run into post-dark world stuff and he's already doing his WORK is great to me and a really nice portrayal of the character. He is like decidedly himself, this person raised on chivalry, who doesn't reject it but appropriates it in his own way.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I despise flamboyant characters, but he's atleast a good dude apparently

Better than what we usually get I guess

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I love Sylvando.
So much this. As a gay man I found Sylvando absolutely awesome! His flamboyant character might be a bit cliche, but whatever, he totally rocks and is my favorite character from the game.

Brunire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
One of the strongest knights in the world? Check.
The best entertainer in the world? Check.
Incredibly charismatic leader? Check.

He is far from a joke character. He truly is just awesome.

Apr 16, 2018
How can he be mocking gay people? He doesn't even explicitly identify as gay, he's just highly effeminate.

Anyway, Sylvando is easily the best character in Dragon Quest XI. He's never the butt of any jokes, the characters don't regard him with disdain, and he has the shining approval of his old man. He's literally the opposite of mocking, and probably the most fun character in a JRPG I've ever seen.

I want more Sylvandos, not fewer.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
I think the line in is in his role in the story and presentation. Sure he is flamboyant, but he is also very admirable, supportive, and in general a positive likeable character. Even when he is a part of a joke, it doesn't come off as deragotory or mocking because his dignity is preserved and carries him through it.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Even though he has lots of traits that are common in gay stereotypes, by the end of the day he was still portrayed as a noble, brave and powerful knight, at no point was implied that being gay was a negative that made him weaker like has happened with other characters in media sometimes

Also, the party never mocked him at all, if this was Persona the rest of the party would constantly ask him to stop being gay around them

Sylvando is a rare case where being an stereotype enhanced the character, sincenit showcased sexuality in a game where they would have never made a main character openly admit that is gay

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How can he be mocking gay people? He doesn't even explicitly identify as gay, he's just highly effeminate.

Anyway, Sylvando is easily the best character in Dragon Quest XI. He's never the butt of any jokes, the characters don't regard him with disdain, and he has the shining approval of his old man. He's literally the opposite of mocking, and probably the most fun character in a JRPG I've ever seen.

I want more Sylvandos, not fewer.
This too

Equating effeminating with homosexuality is a problem in itself

QuadOpto

Nov 7, 2017
It definitely feels like he's a stereotype or exaggeration, but not necessarily a "negative" one -- He's a positive character, has positive reactions with practially everyone in the world, contributes massively to the story (at times even being the one who pulls the group along) at certain parts and is never the butt of any negative or mean-spirited jokes; in that sense he doesn't seem like someone the developers or story writers wanted to be seen as just a character to laugh at.

He's definitely one of the most memorable party members I've had in RPGs.

Rbz

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I had this exact conversation with my wife. I'm leaning towards him not being mocking but it's somewhat close. The biggest thing that carries it for me is how he is portrayed outside of being fabulously flamboyant: brave, kind, talented. The game treats him as a noble and capable person; in no way is he the butt of the joke there. His antics are almost cartoonish sometimes, but because he is portrayed so heroically and positively outside of that, I see it as saying "proud gay people can be the hero too", which is actually really great.

Certainly a better portrayal of gay people than Persona 5, ugh.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
well..
If you liked it, maybe the developers at least did something good? It looks fun that parade.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I have a lot of issues with the writing in DQXI, but Sylv isn't one of them. He's a little camp, but he's never presented as creepy or lecherous and never makes passes at people. He's a strong, intelligent man who cares about his friends (perhaps moreso than anyone else in the cast save for maybe Rab) who also just happens to be effeminate.

I like him a lot. He's a far cry from some of the weirder gay JRPG party members like Papillon from Shadow Hearts 2.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
If he hits on everything that moves like I see some gay stereotypes doing, then it's a bad.
Just curious, did you play the game yourself? He's really flamboyant in these gifs, but in game he actually come across as a genuine down to earth character who actually shows struggle of his identity and his career path and his parents expectations of him. It was very humane story telling and Sylvando just has a very positive vibe to him and he kicks asses, and never a subject of ridicule for being a queer, at least not to my knowledge.

Not to mention Game play wise, Sylvando is a literal godsend especially in stronger enemies mode for early aoe healing. Just more reason to love him.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even though he has lots of traits that are common in gay stereotypes, by the end of the day he was still portrayed as a noble, brave and powerful knight, at no point was implied that being gay was a negative that made him weaker like has happened with other characters in media sometimes

Also, the party never mocked him at all, if this was Persona the rest of the party would constantly ask him to stop being gay around them

Sylvando is a rare case where being an stereotype enhanced the character, sincenit showcased sexuality in a game where they would have never made a main character openly admit that is gay
A dude acting fabulous isn't gay representation

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
Sylvando, to me, is an example of really toeing the line between offensive stereotype and not that. If he was done badly, he definitely would be offensive, but because he's well written and has a lot of nuance, he ends up being pretty cool. (Also his English voice actor does a great job of selling said nuance)
I wouldn't want every gay character to be like Sylvando, but for what his character is going for, he's great.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
I never felt Sylvando was supposed to be a caricature. He's a fantastically flamboyant gay character with no tiresome tropes getting in the way. I don't know how the character could possibly be read otherwise.

That said, I'm a straight person, and my opinion holds less water than that of gay people. My general understanding is he was well received, but maybe I am wrong.

I'm in the exact same spot. He's my favorite character, he clearly got the more care put in his animation, like at every cutscene I was watching him, so expressive.

Liethe

Nov 19, 2017
He is obviously really flamboyant. So in this way I can see why it could perpetuate the whole, "all gay men act like this" stereotype.

but at the same time I found his character so genuine and friendly that I honestly found nothing wrong with him. He's great in my book.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
He's the best gay JRPG hero since Shadow Heart's Joachim.
tree.png

I think we're at a point where we can accept that flamboyance isn't anything to be ashamed of. Even if it's a trait associated with gay people, that's not a negative association unless someone wants it to be. Part of flamboyance is the pride in who you are, the showmanship of being who you want to be unapologetically. I think it's great, myself.

Oct 26, 2017
I felt pretty much like this - surprised he was so praised
If you find a flamboyant male character offensive or problematic, the problem is most certainly you.

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
He's the best gay JRPG hero since Shadow Heart's Joachim.
tree.png

I think we're at a point where we can accept that flamboyance isn't anything to be ashamed of. Even if it's a trait associated with gay people, that's not a negative association unless someone wants it to be. Part of flamboyance is the pride in who you are, the showmanship of being who you want to be unapologetically. I think it's great, myself.
Lol he was gay?

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Sylvando is famous and admired even before you meet him. He's presented as noble, brave, capable and warm-hearted in cutscenes, and no-one in the game ever treats him with mockery.
I had my doubts starting the game, but was very pleasantly surprised. He's great.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think he's mocking gay people at all. I guess the biggest criticism you could throw at the character would be that he's a stereotypical flamboyant Drag Race type of personality but even then it's rare we got those in games.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I found Sylvando to be campy and hilarious -- two things I interpreted as a loving celebration, but I guess one could take it the other way. The fact is the character is smart, caring, skilled, and a great leader, so if they were trying to mock gay people, well, they did a bad job at it.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
As a straight man I absolutely loved Sylv. He is probably one of my favorite characters of this generation. Yes, he is flamboyant but his character is much more than just that. He is one of the bravest and most respected warriors in the whole DQ11 world and the only thing he is scared of is that
his father does not accept him and might even be ashamed of him. But in the end that is not even true and he loves him as much as when Sylvando was just an ordinary knight.

Great character and the Smile Brigade is awesome.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The way he's implemented into the story and game is pretty good despite the stereotype, actually. No one in the game treats him lesser because of his hyper flamboyant personality, in fact many embrace it. He's treated and seen as a strong and honorable knight, someone that people can rely on. His flamboyant behavior is also seen as a light of hope and joy during some dark periods in the story. He's not suppose to mock gay people, he's meant to show you that people are different, that we should embrace our differences and not judge people for being different in terms of social norms. Sylvando is a good man with a good heart, he wants to help people and make them smile even is the darkest days.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I found his flamboyance and almost unflinching competence as a positive, but it's not at all a stretch to see how it might be construed as caricature.