• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At first it felt odd, but goddamn I love it now. It looks very good with the dark theme. Very good!

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No. Making it take more clicks to do anything makes me visit this place less. The redesign is garbage.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
All it's missing is the button to jump to the bottom/top of the page, and a one click method to get to all four forums without opening a pointless sidebar and it's good, tbh.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It looks a lot like GAF and is a pain in the ass to use in general.

Plus all my community threads are dead compared to before, I think it's pushing users away.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I'm a mobile-only user and despite one or two oddities it works very well. In case I haven't said so before, thank you everybody involved from design through coding and testing to release management and maintenance. Well done, and compliments of the season.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
we need to be able to turn the avatars off on threads

and when we have the images turned off, see them as a link

Oct 25, 2017
It's annoying trying to get to the community threads, but other then that, I've gotten used to it at this point

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
It's better and worse. I was apprehensive at first but I do like the graphic overhaul and some of the new features are great.

It's missing some core stuff though:
-links to other pieces of the forum at the bottom of a page (important)
-hangouts visibility (important)
-refresh button at bottom of page (nbd)

we need to be able to turn the avatars off on threads
This was added a week or two ago. Go to your control panel.

Oct 27, 2017
It's bloated, ugly, people just posting Twitter images now show blank, it randomly launches me back up the page while on mobile.
It still could use some fixes methinks.

Deleted member 33887

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Seems like a side grade to me. Takes more clicks, it's a lot slower to load, it takes up way too much space. I do like avatars being attached to threads. I'm not a fan of banners- seems like a complete waste of resources. What's next, page long signatures?

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I intensely dislike it.

Almost everything is worse or the same. The *only* good thing about the redesign is the frozen bar at the top, but even that has been used poorly, having a quick jump box instead of the four forum symbols.

I can't fathom the decision making that went into this.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Emojis are good. It's better than the weird new themes (that added a border around avatars)

Size restrictions on Avatars are gone.

New site's perfectly okay.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Era Legacy Light Theme was the best. Extremely clean and professional looking. Everything in its place. New design is serviceable but it doesn't seem as clean.

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (permanent): Persistently stoking cross forum drama and trolling site staff over the month of December
You have no choice if you don't.

Pretty much all posts going against areas of the new design were completely ignored by staff.
I'm not one to give a shit for long, but it was a really shitty move to just ignore users during the whole thing. Rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

Deleted member 18347

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I miss the nav bar.

Everything looks great except for the fact I have to go up top to switch sections especially in mobile.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All it's missing is the button to jump to the bottom/top of the page, and a one click method to get to all four forums without opening a pointless sidebar and it's good, tbh.
You can turn that on in Preferences.

I miss the nav bar.

Everything looks great except for the fact I have to go up top to switch sections especially in mobile.
Weird, my nav bar is always at the top. No scrolling needed.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, they should at least throw an up and down arrow on the top bar that stays there while browsing.

You can turn on the up/down arrows in your preferences.

S35IvMf.png

Oct 25, 2017
Things still take more clicks than before and I really expected them to change that. And I still don't like the brightly coloured banners, just a waste of space.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Meh. It never remembers I abhor the sidebars, its insistence on purple as a text to be read is awful, the lack of clear navigation is worse and you have to turn off a lot of its "advanced" features because they're garbo.

You all still provide great text though, so there's always that!

You have no choice if you don't.

Pretty much all posts going against areas of the new design were completely ignored by staff.
I'm not one to give a shit for long, but it was a really shitty move to just ignore users during the whole thing. Rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.
Really living up to the Ellis persona discussing the staff's blind spots huh? Good luck pal.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I prefer the old way and the ads seem more obstrusive and the Ad the asking for money to get rid of ads at the bottom is annoying.

Oct 25, 2017
The user experience has gotten a little better with the fixes like removing avatars from threads, but it's still worse overall than before -- slower, can't disable images, can't disable avatars, Twitter/YouTube embeds still broken half the time, a sidebar that is unnecessary and keeps coming back, no unobtrusive non-floating top and bottom arrow on mobile, no instant quick links for off-topic / gaming / hangouts, can no longer only look at unread watched threads etc.

Hopefully the improvements continue and get us back to a similar level of functionality and usability though -- I heard a while back that at least one admin was in favor of adding an option to disable embeds which would be great.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hate it. Talk about trying to fix something that wasnt broken and in the process thoroughly breaking it.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
It was easy to adapt to. Some of the new features are great. Could use a few appearance tweaks here and there like moderation notes on actioned posts should be a more distinct colour from quoted text and being able to ignore threads without entering them. Minor things and small details like that to improve user experience which the team may get around to once more important work is done. Overall I very much like it.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You can enable the jump to the bottom/top of the page buttons in your preferences, it's the "Show Scroll Buttons" option.

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I love the redesign too. I see a few people mentioning it's sluggish but it hasn't been for me since the first few days. I'm really enjoying it on all of my devices.

Oct 25, 2017
You can enable the jump to the bottom/top of the page buttons in your preferences, it's the "Show Scroll Buttons" option.
That's unfortunately different and worse than before. It adds some sort of hover button instead of the built-in low-weight link button that previously existed on mobile and possibly desktop, I'm pretty sure.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
I like most of it but definitely would tone down the default thread title background color, or give an option to remove it entirely and just have text.

Also remove the need to hit a tiny arrow to reveal Hangouts in the hamburger menu then remove Quick Jump.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's fine. I just wish I could unstick the top bar since it wastes a lot of space on my already small screen (iPhone 7).

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't like how thread lists look and probably never will.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like it at all. I don't like that there's no option to disable avatars. I don't like that annoying popup that says there's new post while I'm typing a post (whys that matter), I don't like the giant banner on the bottom for the premium stuff.

I don't like how form sections are hidden in a submenu when they could just be on the floating bar thing (why does the search need to take up that much room. how often do people actually use that).

I don't like the banners a for threads and wish I could disable that (especially when on mobile when the entire screen is filled with useless shit and I have to scroll down to see the post).

its more user unfriendly, and tacky compared to the old one and I wish we had the option to go back to the old format.

change for the sake of change is a bad thing, and that's what this update was. I was on GAF for a decade, and joined here asap, but ive honestly been using the boards less due to how irritating it is to get to the actual content.

Status
Not open for further replies.