• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Again. I'm no interested in arguing with so called "metal elitist" the internet is filled with it. It's boring.

I get it. If the band plays in front of 100+ people, doesn't have blast beats for the whole fucking song and the album is semi decent recorded, its not metal.
nice try its 30+ people

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Disagree, considering OP included the BEST years of metal posting majority same bands.

I hear you, but the idea in my mind is that you are just trying to whet someone's appetite and get them to expand their own search in whichever direction they fancy. It can be overwhelming if you ask someone for somewhere to get started on a genre and you get a massive list with wildly diverging sub-genres, or if you get started right off the bat with something that's too overwhelmingly hardcore and think "gah, maybe this isn't for me." I don't think e.g. Holy Diver, Number of the Beast, Hellion/Electric Eye, Painkiller, Master of Puppets, Sweating Bullets, etc is going to scare anybody away but I do think that a selection like that (and more of course, this is just off the top of my head) would be effective at getting someone interested in hearing more. Hit songs are hit songs for a reason, and I think they're a good way to bring someone with zero experience into the genre.

One thing that very few newcomers want to hear is an explanation of the 500 subgenres and why this one is real and that one is not real and only posers listen to this one and only true fans listen to this one etc etc. Not saying you're going down that path, but it happens a lot with Metal in particular.

Oct 30, 2017
Bands like Cannibal Corpse or Napalm Death can actually be good litmus tests for some newcomers. Like, if someone had been listening to metal for a little bit and asked to hear some stuff that really pushes the envelope just to see if they'd like it I would suggest some sort of grindcore or crusted death metal.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I hear you, but the idea in my mind is that you are just trying to whet someone's appetite and get them to expand their own search in whichever direction they fancy. It can be overwhelming if you ask someone for somewhere to get started on a genre and you get a massive list with wildly diverging sub-genres, or if you get started right off the bat with something that's too overwhelmingly hardcore and think "gah, maybe this isn't for me." I don't think e.g. Holy Diver, Number of the Beast, Hellion/Electric Eye, Painkiller, Master of Puppets, Sweating Bullets, etc is going to scare anybody away but I do think that a selection like that (and more of course, this is just off the top of my head) would be effective at getting someone interested in hearing more. Hit songs are hit songs for a reason, and I think they're a good way to bring someone with zero experience into the genre.

You can cherry-pick so many bands to represent those years without doubling up on the same band.

Appreciate the Overkill though, OP.

Need to replace Power Trip with Vektor

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I really don't understand what some of you are being so defensive for lol.

We have genres to help classify sounds so we can work out the things we enjoy, they are helpful.

There are off-shoots of the core metal sound yeh, but saying Metal and especially Heavy Metal and there are bands that fit much more than others.

The core Heavy Metal sound is not something I personally enjoy that much, I like elements of it. Of I heared this list before I knew about heavier music it would actually draw me away from metal with the inclusions of stuff like Linkin Park, Deftones, Limp Bizkit, etc...

It wasn't meant as an elitist thing at all.

Its less about defensive, but it's imho been a big problem with the genre where they are quick to kick out a band finding new refinements within the paradigms of 'heavy' that they should be rewarding em for pushing things further, on top of praising literal dinosaurs as if they are relevant when their new shit is mediocre.

It's why everyone is like, 'Here we go again', and a brawl (but a fun one!) broke out in the post.

It's a problem with rock music in general where fans don't want acts to color outside of the lines but particularly evident in metal because they've got a more dedicated fanbase than any other rock sub-genre except punk which suffers from similar problems. People kind of hold this distain for rap metal (and rightfully so in many circumstances) but I would make an argument it was a cry for help; one cannot live on recycled Pantera riffs forever.

Funny is in 2021 I would argue it's the most viable place to find rock music today but it's current run is built off the back of experimental bands of the last few decades leading to the popularity of genres like blackgaze which tbh, often feels more indie rock than \m/.

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I really wasn't intending to gatekeep what metal is at all (as I said, I personally don't like the core classic metal sounds unless is mixed in with other elements), and was looking at it more as some of the more alternative metal bands on this list would actually have had the opposite affect on someone like me and drawn me away from the metal parts of their sound and into the other aspects of heavier rock.

So, for me, it would have had the opposite effect.

Giving it a bit more thought I don't actually know if there would be a way to avoid this. Metal absolutey is more diverse than the pure classic sounds, but the bands that cross over also contain other genres and sounds that could detract from them.

That was my original train of thought anyway, it really wasn't intending to be some pedantic gatekeeping elitism or anything.

I'll see myself out, lol.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
www.youtube.com

Killswitch Engage - The Signal Fire

http://www.killswitchengage.com"The Signal Fire" from the "Atonement" album.Director | Producer: Ian McFarlandDP: Matt DorrisAC: Asa ReedGaffer: Jesse Cardoz...

www.youtube.com

Trivium - Sever The Hand (Official Audio)

Subscribe: http://bit.ly/TriviumYTTrivium's official audio stream for "Sever The Hand", from the album The Sin And The Sentence, available now on Roadrunner ...

www.youtube.com

Trivium - Pillars of Serpents (Official Audio)

Trivium's official audio stream for "Pillars of Serpents", available now on Roadrunner Records. Get it now: https://RoadrunnerRecords.lnk.to/pillarsofserpent...

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Gonna make an attempt at an alternate playlist for every year 1991 onwards (sorry OP), trying to vary genres and without repeating artists:

Dismember - In Death's Sleep (1991)
Samael - With the Gleam of the Torches (1992)
Varathron - Unholy Funeral (1993)
Rotting Christ - The Fifth Illusion (1994)
Moonspell - Alma Mater (1995)
Therion - To Mega Therion (1996)
Summoning - Khazad DĂşm (1997)
Blind Guardian - Mirror Mirror (1998)
Skyclad - Vintage Whine (1999)
Desaster - Tyrants of the Netherworld (2000)
Moonsorrow - Kylän päässä (2001)
Behemoth - Zos KĂŻa Cvltvs (2002)
DoomSword - Woden's Reign (2003)
Saxon - Witchfinder General (2004)
Bolt Thrower - Granite Wall (2005)
Melechesh - Rebirth of the Nemesis (2006)
Type O Negative - Halloween in Heaven (2007)
Hollenthon - On the Wings of a Dove (2008)
Absu - Amy (2009)
Cauchemar - Le voile d'Isis (2010)
Argus Boldly Stride the Doomed (2011)
Natur - Head of Death (2012)
Craven Idol - Golgotha Wounds (2013)
Grave Digger - Hell Funeral (2014)
Visigoth - Steel and Silver (2015)
Sumerlands - The Seventh Seal (2016)
Malokarpatan - V okresném rybníku hastrman už po stáročá vyčína (2017)
Untamed Land - In Darkness Awakened (2018)
Smoulder - Ilian of Garathorm (2019)
Havukruunu - Uinuos syömein sota (2020)
Demiser - Deathstrike (2021)

My picks for 2010 and 2014 are half-hearted admittedly, I struggle to remember notable albums by non-mentioned bands for these years. Edit: found better picks than before!

I'll try to post a list for 1970-1990 later. That should be a fun challenge. Nearly impossible to repeat bands for the 1970's lol

Though the quality of the list only gets better past 1990 ;P
Nahhhh

Again. I'm no interested in arguing with so called "metal elitist" the internet is filled with it. It's boring.

I get it. If the band plays in front of 100+ people, doesn't have blast beats for the whole fucking song and the album is semi decent recorded, its not metal.
If you don't want feedback on your list, why post it for others to discuss?

Btw, if you check my list, I have a broad range of genres, from traditional to power, gothic, folk, doom, thrash, etc. to (fairly accessible/entry-level) death and black metal. Not all "blast beats for the whole fucking song".

I really wasn't intending to gatekeep what metal is at all (as I said, I personally don't like the core classic metal sounds unless is mixed in with other elements), and was looking at it more as some of the more alternative metal bands on this list would actually have had the opposite affect on someone like me and drawn me away from the metal parts of their sound and into the other aspects of heavier rock.

So, for me, it would have had the opposite effect.

Giving it a bit more thought I don't actually know if there would be a way to avoid this. Metal absolutey is more diverse than the pure classic sounds, but the bands that cross over also contain other genres and sounds that could detract from them.

That was my original train of thought anyway, it really wasn't intending to be some pedantic gatekeeping elitism or anything.

I'll see myself out, lol.
You're fine, don't worry.

Last edited:

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
As a Metallica fan I would swap those songs for 'betterer' ones. Such as Fight fire with Fire or Fade to black from Ride (or four horsemen from kill em all), One from justice, Holier than thou from Black album.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
None of the following?

Nightwish
Epica
Within Temptation
Apocalyptica
Cradle of Filth

As well as many of the above listed by others.

This reads like a metal list by someone who hasn't heard of metal past 1995.

None of the above, even Cradle, are difficult to listen to and pretty much all were included in an influential list of metal to teach in music education a few years ago (Whose name escapes me but it was doing the rounds on UK radio).

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna make an attempt at an alternate playlist for every year 1991 onwards (sorry OP), trying to vary genres and without repeating artists:

Dismember - In Death's Sleep (1991)
Bolt Thrower - This Time It's War (1992)
Varathron - Unholy Funeral (1993)
Rotting Christ - The Fifth Illusion (1994)
Moonspell - Alma Mater (1995)
Therion - To Mega Therion (1996)
Summoning - Khazad DĂşm (1997)
Blind Guardian - Mirror Mirror (1998)
Skyclad - Vintage Whine (1999)
Desaster - Tyrants of the Netherworld (2000)
Moonsorrow - Kylän päässä (2001)
Behemoth - Zos KĂŻa Cvltvs (2002)
DoomSword - Woden's Reign (2003)
Saxon - Witchfinder General (2004)
The Vision Bleak - Kutulu! (2005)
Melechesh - Rebirth of the Nemesis (2006)
Type O Negative - Halloween in Heaven (2007)
Hollenthon - On the Wings of a Dove (2008)
Absu - Amy (2009)
Grand Magus - Hammer of the North (2010)
Argus Boldly Stride the Doomed (2011)
Natur - Head of Death (2012)
Craven Idol - Golgotha Wounds (2013)
High Spirit - When the Lights Go Down (2014)
Visigoth - Steel and Silver (2015)
Sumerlands - The Seventh Seal (2016)
Malokarpatan - V okresném rybníku hastrman už po stáročá vyčína (2017)
Untamed Land - In Darkness Awakened (2018)
Smoulder - Ilian of Garathorm (2019)
Havukruunu - Uinuos syömein sota (2020)
Demiser - Deathstrike (2021)

My picks for 2010 and 2014 are half-hearted admittedly, I struggle to remember notable albums by non-mentioned bands for these years.

I'll try to post a list for 1970-1990 later. That should be a fun challenge. Nearly impossible to repeat bands for the 1970's lol

Nahhhh

If you don't want feedback on your list, why post it for others to discuss?

Btw, if you check my list, I have a broad range of genres, from traditional to power, gothic, folk, doom, thrash, etc. to (fairly accessible/entry-level) death and black metal. Not all "blast beats for the whole fucking song".

You're fine, don't worry.
Now that's a challenge for my Apple Music account to make a playlist!

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
None of the following?

Nightwish
Epica
Within Temptation
Apocalyptica
Cradle of Filth

As well as many of the above listed by others.

This reads like a metal list by someone who hasn't heard of metal past 1995.

None of the above, even Cradle, are difficult to listen to and pretty much all were included in an influential list of metal to teach in music education a few years ago (Whose name escapes me but it was doing the rounds on UK radio).

Good picks.

I'd add Dark Tranquillity too. They were the band that made me realize I could get into death metal after all.

I'm an outlier in that I like their albums more since they started incorporating keyboards and electronic sounds.

Or Alcest, which is another band that feels like it shouldn't be so easy to listen to.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I've actually edited my list for better picks. Bolt Thrower got moved to 2005 for a track from Those Once Loyal (as it is one of the best albums of that entire decade, and certainly of that year), and for 1992 I picked a track from Samael's Blood Ritual.

Not really, I mean you did include saxon
<3

Last edited:

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Yen lack of Opeth and Mastadon while bands like Korn, Limp Bizkit, and Linkin Park are here invalidates this as a metal list for me.

Why though? I love Opeth and Mastodon as much as the next guy, and agree they should be on the list, but why are they more valid as metal acts than those nu metal bands?

Love it or hate it, nu metal was a huge part of metal history and massively popular during its time. Those bands deserve their place on a playlist like this.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's in desperate need of some Opeth and In Flames.
Other than that I like a lot of the choices.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
www.youtube.com

Shogun

Provided to YouTube by Roadrunner RecordsShogun · TriviumShogun℗ 2008 The All Blacks B.V. Issued under license to Roadrunner Records from The All Blacks B.V....

www.youtube.com

To Live Is To Die

Provided to YouTube by Audiam (Label)To Live Is To Die · Metallica... And Justice For All℗ Blackened RecordingsReleased on: 1988-08-25Auto-generated by YouTube.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Why though? I love Opeth and Mastodon as much as the next guy, and agree they should be on the list, but why are they more valid as metal acts than those nu metal bands?

Love it or hate it, nu metal was a huge part of metal history and massively popular during its time. Those bands deserve their place on a playlist like this.
I was actually being a little facetious there. Personal taste is what it is.

I also am a fan of nu-meral over classic metal. You should read my posts on this for clarity.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Nightwish
Epica
Within Temptation
Apocalyptica
Cradle of Filth

I'd add in early Sonata Arctica, Between the Buried and Me, early In Flames, Opeth, and Dark Tranquility as well.

Sonata Arctica - Ecliptica
Between the Buried and Me - Colors
In Flames - Colony
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Dark Tranquility - Damage Done

Jan 13, 2018
Some additional options for y'all:

www.youtube.com

HELLOWEEN - I Want Out (Official Music Video)

ATTENTION!»United Alive« & »United Alive In Madrid« – The video- & audio-releasesWith the releases of »UNITED ALIVE« & »UNITED ALIVE IN MADRID« on Nuclear Bl...

www.youtube.com

W.A.S.P. - Blind In Texas 1985 (Official Video)

W.A.S.P. - Blind In Texas OFFICIAL video in HQ and lyrics included!!The song was released on their "The Last Command" album on November 9, 1985. The Last Com...

www.youtube.com

Accept - Balls to the Wall

Accept's official music video for 'Balls To The Wall'. Click to listen to Accept on Spotify: http://smarturl.it/AcceptSpotify?IQid=AcceptBTTWAs featured on B...

www.youtube.com

Ghost - Rats (Official Music Video)

Directed by Roboshobo[MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]We wish to inform you Ghost's new album Prequelle is available now. Purchase a copy online or at a store near y...

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Is this really a "PLAYlist"? I view a play list as being something I can hit "Play" on and listen to. This seems like more just a "list", and honestly...not a great one either. TBF, I get that a lot of metal post 1990 is pretty whack, but you really drive it home with this particular list of songs.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
If it makes you feel any better, most of my friends who listen to metal would make fun of the "elitists" in this thread. There's always a bigger asshole out there judging you.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
There's wayyyy too much nu-metal on that list. It's not about gatekeeping, I can't stand gatekeeping. I'd just want to build a more diverse list. There's plenty of more accessible metal for newcomers that is not nu-metal from that time period. And hey, I'm a guy that was in High School in the early 2000's so I am by no means averse to nu-metal. I'd re-work everything from around 1997-2002.

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth
Most metal subgenres are not newcomers friendly. That's why no grindcore, black metal, death metal or the likes.

You appear unaware of the following sub-genres: Power Metal (both the US and European variants), Melodic Metal, Folk Metal, Symphonic Metal, Gothic Metal, Progressive Metal, Doom Metal, Melodic Death Metal (which I reckon is in fact not as unfriendly to newcomers as one might think at first glance), the whole Hair Metal scene of the 80s and their (mostly swedish) spawns of the 2000s, when Metal was as mainstream as it would ever be.

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I'd show them a couple Babymetal songs and stop, that's all you really need to know about metal.

half /s?

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017