Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
I also like the fact that people criticise people with tattoos/face tattoos saying that they have to deal with the consequences of their decision yet the ones that actually cause the negative actions are the people who are prejudiced against them and not the person who simply wanted to have a tattoo.

Now I know people will chime in saying 'but that's how the world works, people judge others' but that is no excuse. As long as it isn't offensive or explicit there should be no judgement on what someone else decides to do with their own body.

Also the fact so many people think tattoos must be covered up if needed is stupid too. It's just artwork on a body, if you can't understand that and decide to negatively judge or assume something about someone because they have a tattoo that's your fault.
Nothing you said is wrong per se, but it's totally devoid of context. If that's the way the world is, it is a valid excuse. Social intelligence is required to get ahead in life; and if you put a big, intimidating tattoo on your face that scares most of the population, it isn't on the entire world that you knowingly went into it and said screw the implications. We don't live in vacuums. Much as you have to control your words--not cussing all the time--you also need to control your actions and image. Things have consequences.

Pardon the possibly poor grammar, haven't had my coffee yet.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The bigger issue is the try hard kids and lame rappers who get their face, neck and hands done before anything else. At my place, we won't touch your neck unless you're already pretty covered, sleeves etc. Face tattoos generally for other tattooers or heavily tattooed people who clearly aren't making a rash decision.

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
It's stuff like this I know why (and for a while myself) people choose to wear long sleeve shirts because the instant a lot of people see someone with tats their first thought is "what did she or he do wrong in their life?"

shotopunx

Nov 21, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Nothing you said is wrong per se, but it's totally devoid of context. If that's the way the world is, it is a valid excuse. Social intelligence is required to get ahead in life; and if you put a big, intimidating tattoo on your face that scares most of the population, it isn't on the entire world that you knowingly went into it and said screw the implications. We don't live in vacuums. Much as you have to control your words--not cussing all the time--you also need to control your actions and image. Things have consequences.

All of this is so fucking arbitrary. I thought the world was getting closer to respecting personal freedom, but fucking hell, this thread is depressing.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I personally think putting a tattoo anywhere that can't be easily covered up is pretty dumb, given that there is still something of a social stigma about them. (Even if it's just from old men yelling at clouds.) So yeah, I do kind of judge people who do that.

Marin-Lune

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely judge. It's not something you're born with, you deliberately choose to have one, knowing what potential stigma is attached to it. I currently work in the hospitality industry, and apparently an entire policy of the company was written following an incident where a former employee (well before my time here, kinda an urban legend) with face and neck tats went to FairWork after he got declined an internal transfer to a guest-facing position. Tough shit.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Be the change you want.

Unless people are confident enough to do what they want the world will never change.

Yes you are technically right in a sense but just because something is a certain way, doesn't mean that's how it should be.

People are going to criticise those with tattoos that's true but the onus isn't on the person to not get a tattoo but on the world actually start accepting them.

If someone personally doesn't like tattoos that's fine, no one is forcing them to get one, but to justify prejudice opinions with some pragmatist bullshit of 'Well that's how the world works' is disingenuous.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well the flipside of that is we have the ability to train ourselves to not make those judgments through careful consideration and thoughtfulness.
Not really. We can train ourselves to not act on those judgements, but we are constantly making judgements on others. We may be able to suppress some or ignore others, but we will always make judgements.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
I don't have time to make character judgements about strangers I know nothing about, especially over something as trivial as tattoos.

That said a face tattoo is certainly an inadvisable decision, but it wouldn't cause me to judge them as a terrible person.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
Depends on the context. Out and about, unless it's a swastika, I'm not bothered. If I'm looking to hire someone, depending on the role, it's a deal breaker.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Not really. We can train ourselves to not act on those judgements, but we are constantly making judgements on others. We may be able to suppress some or ignore others, but we will always make judgements.
That simply isn't true, like at all.

You train yourself to understand where those original negative opinions come from (societal, upbringing, experience etc) and work on thinking differently so that it doesn't become your default response.

Look at people who were racist or sexist yet turned their lives around. They arent just ignoring their thoughts but have trained themselves to not think that way anymore.

B_Spooky13

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I honestly dont think it's about someone actually have a face tattoo. But the actual person themselves

You see a guy with a smaller tattoo under their eye but dressed really nice. I dont think most people wouldn't think twice about it.

But you look homeless with some big ass word across your forehead. You are going to be judge

Oct 27, 2017
It think it is literally impossible not to judge a face tattoo. It's right there on their face! You can pretend like it's nothing, but even that is a form of judgement.

Oct 28, 2017
I got no issues with tattoos, although I have none. I know Google is not the end all but I image searched 4 pages of face tats and there was not one that looked like a good choice. I know this is just "old man yells" but they all look regrettable.

Not sure if you're privy to Mastodon, but I'd argue that Brent Hinds rocks his fairly well

Mastodon-Brent-Hinds.jpg

Mar 3, 2018
My face tattoo has yet to cause me an issue. I work in the education sector dealing with kids and families on a daily basis and nobody cares. I might just be lucky.

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
Yes I judge people with Face Tattoo's, I'm not saying I think they're below me or anything. I know how the business world operates so by getting a face tattoo you are most likely limiting your advancement opportunities. Things will change in the future I'm sure but by deciding to get something permanent done that could hinder your career makes me question your ability to make thought out decisions.
Don't get me wrong, it's your body, do what you want, my opinion doesn't matter unless I'm the one your're interviewing with. If you find success with it, more power to you. I have many tattoo's however all of mine can be covered with slacks and a polo.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018
I never understood the complaint of "people with tattoos will look ridiculous when they are old"

Like breh, you think when I'm dealing with gout, kidney failure, peeing into a bag, Alzheimer's, dentures and all kinds of other shit as my body's falling apart..you think I'm.gonna be thinking "fuck.i shouldnt have gotten tattoos"

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
I've seen some old dudes with tats, they looked pretty badass
I mean, a $20 scratch is gonna look like trash in 20 years (more like 2), yeah; but the folks who invest into actually incredible tat artists and let them work their magic... man. Just take a look at yakuza tattoos to see how truly timeless the shit can be. See dudes in their 50s and 60s and the ink still looks nuts.

Mar 3, 2018
I mean, I own a tattoo studio, am covered pretty much neck down to my toes in tattoos, and I still judge people with face tattoos.

Thia is not the first time I've heard this and it was very interesting to me. When I went to get my knee tatroo from a friend who works at a tattoo shop, the owner came up to me and said how insane I am for getting a face tattoo. He himself was covered everywhere except the face. And he didn't say it in a insulting way. Just that how big of a risk it is in society

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That simply isn't true, like at all.

You train yourself to understand where those original negative opinions come from (societal, upbringing, experience etc) and work on thinking differently so that it doesn't become your default response.

Look at people who were racist or sexist yet turned their lives around. They arent just ignoring their thoughts but have trained themselves to not think that way anymore.
Right, but they will still judge others in some other way or they could still have racist judgements and choose not to act on them. Judging others is inherent to humans.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a wow!

Rock Stars don't count.
Thia is not the first time I've heard this and it was very interesting to me. When I went to get my knee tatroo from a friend who works at a tattoo shop, the owner came up to me and said how insane I am for getting a face tattoo. He himself was covered everywhere except the face. And he didn't say it in a insulting way. Just that how big of a risk it is in society

Not saying it's necessarily negative but I will make assumptions nonetheless. You get a good gauge on who is a keen tattoo collector, who just wants to try and look cool without the effort (hands and neck without the sleeves) and who is just a bit mentally unstable and want something fucking weird.

Well executed, not completely heinous face tattoos are generally pretty rare. And again, despite me have the vast majority of my body covered and has been since my early 20's, I guaran-fucking-tee you all the mumble rappers who got face tattoos for notoriety purposes will regret their lame face tats when they're older.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I wouldn't hire somebody with a face or hand tattoo. I just assume that somebody with those tattoos doesn't think ahead, or knows that they're unhireable for another reason and doesn't care.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't hire somebody with a face or hand tattoo. I just assume that somebody with those tattoos doesn't think ahead, or knows that they're unhireable for another reason and doesn't care.

That's weird in my mind. For me it depends on the person and the job. So many jobs require very little face to face interaction. So that definitely wouldn't matter. Others jobs would be more flexible about the kind of person. So that wouldn't matter. I think I'd only consider it a concern if it was a certain environment where others might have perception issues with them being a face of the job.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm crazy-liberal and think everyone has the absolute right to let their freak-flag fly as long as they're not hurting anyone.

I totally judge people with face tattoos.

Don't get offended by it or anything, more like I just look at them and think, "Woof."

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Right, but they will still judge others in some other way or they could still have racist judgements and choose not to act on them. Judging others is inherent to humans.
But training how you judge others is very real.

This idea that it's impossible to not be able to stop yourself from making negative judgements on someones personal choice (one that isn't illegal, immoral or affects anyone else) is copout bullshit. It's essentially passing off societal based lessons as biology.

Yes humans make initial judgements on someone when they first see them but it is possible to direct that judgement into positive perspectives.

Also, even if you do have a split second thought that something is bad, you should be just as quickly changing that back to at least being neutral.

For example:

Thought 1: "err, that guy must be stupid to have a face tattoo"
Thought 2: "actually, if he is happy with it then I have no problem at all with them doing it".

Eventually thought 1 won't happen anymore and it will no longer be an issue.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Yep.

Any other tattoo? Nope, tattoos are cool. Even full sleeves, as long as you don't have some Nazi shit on them.

Face tattoos? Big mistake, and pretty much self-limiting from a career standpoint (in other words, expect to spend a lot of time unemployed unless you're a tattoo artist yourself).

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
What about finger tattoos? I have a wedding ring tattoo for my fiancee who passed away when I was 25. I don't think either of your assumptions apply to me, yet here I am with a tattoo on my hand, and a great job.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
That's weird in my mind. For me it depends on the person and the job. So many jobs require very little face to face interaction. So that definitely wouldn't matter. Others jobs would be more flexible about the kind of person. So that wouldn't matter. I think I'd only consider it a concern if it was a certain environment where others might have perception issues with them being a face of the job.

Hiring somebody for a job reflects on you as well as your department. That's why it's a higher standard than simply walking by somebody on the street.

If there are two people with similar skills and experience, one with a face tattoo and one with no visible tattoos, I'm hiring the one without tattoos.

What about finger tattoos? I have a wedding ring tattoo for my fiancee who passed away when I was 25. I don't think either of your assumptions apply to me, yet here I am with a tattoo on my hand, and a great job.

I'm sorry to hear about your fiancee. I'm engaged and I'd be devastated if I lost her.

B_Spooky13

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan

I have my hands/ knuckles and neck tattooed. I've honestly never had a problem getting a job. But then again I work on cars.

Most jobs are very tolerant with tattoos now. Just because even the higher ups even have them.

And actually the most people that i get compliments or reasonable questions about them are older people.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
You are going to get judged by how you look and act, with or without tattoos. I am just guessing but I would assume that people who are getting face tattoos are doing it in part because they like how it looks and also to project a certain kind of image as well. This is not a tribal tattoo on your shoulder that you just decided to get one weekend. I assume more thought is put into getting a facial tattoo. And I also assume that you are not looking for general acceptance when you decide to get a tattoo on your face.

Most tattoos I see in general look kind of crappy. Wish people put more thought into what and where to get their tattoos.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I have my hands/ knuckles and neck tattooed. I've honestly never had a problem getting a job. But then again I work on cars.

Most jobs are very tolerant with tattoos now. Just because even the higher ups even have them.

And actually the most people that i get compliments or reasonable questions about them are older people.
Even the UK police had to relax their hiring requirements because it was becoming impossible to get anyone without visible tattoos.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Hiring somebody for a job reflects on you as well as your department. That's why it's a higher standard than simply walking by somebody on the street.

If there are two people with similar skills and experience, one with a face tattoo and one with no visible tattoos, I'm hiring the one without tattoos.

I'm sorry to hear about your fiancee. I'm engaged and I'd be devastated if I lost her.
I appreciate your sympathy, but just keep in mind you never know the reason for a tattoo or it's location, maybe consider this conversation the next time you find yourself making shitty character assumptions about people with tattoos on their hands.