Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With the whole controversies about the latest game Mortal Kombat 12 (because that's what it should be called, not MK1 that's the original Arcade game and we will not honor stupidity)

Was it all good? No absolutely not. A lot of growing pains especially as video games evolved as a medium. They didn't have the money they did back then so a lot of the voice acting was just people down the halls doing voices and whether it sounded good or not varied.

But what really got me hooked was the lore.

I ate up MK Lore back in the day.

I loved it. It all sounded so fascinating. Especially on Mortal Kombat Online which thrived during the PS2 era.

It was all a straightforward timeline that flowed from one game to the next. So it was easy to follow, debating whose ending was canon or not. As I played MK12's story, I was a bit thrown off by how Outworld looked. I asked "Why does it look like Wakanda"? I'm guessing Boon or whoever sees whatever the latest Marvel movie and just decides "Let's do THAT with our next game." and he clearly wants to branch out but WB won't let him. Then it went full multiverse and I checked out.

Things like Multiverse stuff... really doesn't belong in Mortal Kombat in my honest opinion. And Outworld is supposed to be a dying wasteland, it is not Wakanda.

And guest characters galore... which I know is because they make the most money so we get more than we need.

I didn't understand why MK11 just deviated from whatever MKX set up with Dark Raiden (writer change I know) and apparently that's because Ed Boon is all "That's not my Raiden" with Dark Raiden which is why he's Thano snapped at the beginning of MK11 lol.

But what is this? Scorpion in the original Midway timeline had a simple origin: Hanzo Hasasahi was murderered along with his clan and family, brought back to life, he now seeks vengeance. That's Scorpion to me. The Scorpion in the New Era is just Sub-Zero wearing Scorpion's clothes. It just has a real fan fiction feel to it.

Somebody pointed out in an MK Discord that the average MK fan today weren't even alive when MK3 came out in 1995 so they don't know the original 7 games. Largely because WB likes to pretend they don't exist.

That's why I can't get too attached to whatever MK1's doing. The MK I grew with is gone and is never coming back. I've come to terms with that.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
bring back adventure game mk goddamnit. even when midway was falling apart they made that shit happen now wb got em and they aint do shit

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would be interested if they just un-rebooted and went back to just after Armageddon with Taven winning but I know it's never happening.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Man I just want Konquest mode back, actually being able to run around and interact with the realms and find secrets and characters is what really got me invested into the worldbuilding of MK

Making a modern fully fleshed out Konquest mode would probably take gargantuan enormous resources nowadays so I'm not holding my breath for anything but more short movie modes

Whisu

May 19, 2021
I liked Shaolin Monks and those crazy janky Konquest modes on the PS2 era.

It's a good concept and I think the series need something like this again.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man I just want Konquest mode back, actually being able to run around and interact with the realms and find secrets and characters is what really got me invested into the worldbuilding of MK

Making a modern fully fleshed out Konquest mode would probably take gargantuan enormous resources nowadays so I'm not holding my breath for anything but more short movie modes
Ed Boon just sees story mode as Training Mode but with cutscenes

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
MK lore? Wut

This is a gory fighting game, i could care less about the story of the game.

Operations

Oct 29, 2017
A shame indeed, but this isn't unique to MK, all long- running series lore with multiple entries will eventually deteriorate and turn to shit.

GriffinCorp

Oct 25, 2017
Who owns the rights to those old Midway games? MK and RUSH were some of the best times growing up in the 90's for me.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
I am biased, I got into mk with the ps2 3d games and to this day I never had more fun with any mk game since.

Oct 26, 2017
I enjoyed the PS2 era of MK games, but I like how modern MK games are actual good fighting games, because those PS2 MK games were hella jank and hella busted.

For all the lore-heads and the people who liked crazy side modes, they were the best games for that.

Jun 5, 2023
People come up with the most dramatic ways to say they don't like something. MK1 is disappointed coming off the peak of MK11 and you could have just said that. Or just say you don't like MK1, but would anyone have clicked on the thread with those titles?

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I miss Midway too but for different games. Won't fault ya for missing that era of MK though. There were some neat things in the PS2 era.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the PS2 era of MK games, but I like how modern MK games are actual good fighting games, because those PS2 MK games were hella jank and hella busted.

For all the lore-heads and the people who liked crazy side modes, they were the best games for that.
They're COMPETENT fighting games. I wouldn't call any of them good. A big improvement yes, but I would never call them good fighters. And MK1 even that is stretching. MK1 is so slowed down and banal, the meta of MK1 is pretty boring.

DoctorPlayer MD

"This guy are sick"
Feb 4, 2021
Brazil
To me the franchise peaked in UMK3. MK9 and 11 were great, and in a way MK9 is an MK3 remake, but I wish the originals got more love from WB. An MK1-3 HD collection would be amazing

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
Did Scorpion actually have a simple, straight forward origin? Because "Hanzo Hasasahi was murderered along with his clan and family" is a retcon. Originally his family and clan were alive. :)

end1.gif

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
I thought that mk9 was the last entry i really enjoyed. Deception on the ps2 was also great. The konquest mode was a blast.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did Scorpion actually have a simple, straight forward origin? Because "Hanzo Hasasahi was murderered along with his clan and family" is a retcon. Originally his family and clan were alive. :)

end1.gif
It never says they are alive in the present day.

The original story was that Scorpion wanted to kill Sub-Zero to avenge his own murder, but was later expanded for his family and clan

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
I think pretending that anyone saw Scorpion and Sub Zero as anything other than pallet swaps seems like revionist history to me, or at least history that isn't really thinking about the OG so much as a couple sequels later

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Played a shitton of MK11, MK1 finished story mode thats it, such a massive downgrade in almost every way it was insane. At the start I had people consistently tell me how much better than MK11 it was and now not a single one of those people play it anymore and they played MK11 up until MK1 release. WILD.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
OP you are just getting old and being nostalgic. MK 11 is probably the best lore wise. Scorpion and Sub working together is peak MK lore.

MimosaSTG

Jun 7, 2022

Lol. The appdata folder is MK12, subfolder in Steam is MK12, and the executable is MK12.exe.

It's MK12.

On another note.. MK1 (2023) (MK12) is my least played MK game since MK vs. DC. I don't like a lot of things about it from gameplay to stupid ass 30FPS scenes popping up in the middle of combat to the horrible single player content and monetization.

Last edited:

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
The new Outworld looks the way it does as a result of Liu Kang's influence of creating his timeline.

It's not a dead wasteland like it was in the old timeline because Shao Kahn did not get to conquer and screw up Outworld in THIS timeline.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I can't be nostalgic for kusoge, the 3D era MK games are just not very good fighting games.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
MK was always full of silliness. I don't think a multiverse or reboot is any odder than retcons, resurrections, multiple dimensions, etc that are all over MK through vsDC. The Netherrealm ones have all been fun and the story is better than the PS2 era by a mile.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
It never says they are alive in the present day.

The original story was that Scorpion wanted to kill Sub-Zero to avenge his own murder, but was later expanded for his family and clan

The next screen talks about how he can't be with his family because he's a spooky skeleton man.

end2.gif

There's a million of these retcons. In MK II Reptile's story says his race is still alive and in his ending they live in peace. In UMK3 his ending talks about how he'll never know them because they're extinct. I mean, in MK1 Raiden enters the tournament for the lulz and ends up destroying the world. Kontinuity has been fluid since day 1.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Loved the old games, don't care about any of the new ones so the franchise has been nothing to me for a long while.

It's insane that I can't play the originals on my Switch legally.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
I think MK1 plays better than any MK in recent memory, but I don't like the kameo mechanic. I also think a lot of the character models looks weirdly generic...mostly the faces. My favorite MKs were OG 2 and 3

E-bite

Oct 24, 2018
No fan likes to see multiverse stuff in Mortal Kombat but here we are. One of the problems is that post-Midway Boon wants to ALWAYS continue the story. MK9 is a continuation of Armageddon, MK1 is a direct sequel to MK11. The same way he's insistent on creating a completely new gameplay system with each new iteration. Go lookup Boon's interviews for MK11 and MK1, whenever asked what makes MK going strong for all these years, his immediate answer is: "Well, we are not afraid to completely change everything with each new game"