Oct 27, 2017
One criticism of the Dreamcast/early Modern era of Sonic games (1998-2008) is that Eggman stopped being the final boss for them.

Personally, I loved this design choice.

It brought about some really awesome fights within the series. Well, they weren't necessarily fun. Most of them followed the usual Sonic formula of running head first into a weak point. But the way they were was just cool. The remixes of the main theme, or the main theme playing as you fight the boss. The scenery usually being up in the clouds, in space, or even in the earth's core brought out a sense of grandness. And the feeling of going Super Sonic and just taking down a big bad was the best.

My two favorites have to be Metal Overlord from Sonic Heroes (seriously, he just picks up a giant airship and throws it at you):

And Perfect Dark Gaia from Sonic Unleashed - 360/PS3 ver. (this was the game that honestly made me think that a Platinum Games made Sonic could actually work):

I'd take these over having another reskin of Nega Wisp Armor, with no Super Sonic, any day of the week. It's a shame that Colors, Lost World, and Forces all use essentially the same boss.

So what do you all think of these bosses Era? Which are your favorites?

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Perfect Chaos and Finalhazard are great. Everything after, not so much. Especially Metal Overlord, that fight was terrible and disappointing even when I was 12. I would have much rather have had the Metal Sonic in a coat be the final boss instead. Having a rival character turn into a big stupid dragon makes no sense at all.

I haven't played Lost World or Forces but Color's final boss was great and is the only post-Dreamcast Sonic final boss I can even remember. Final Color Blaster was way more hype than any Dark Gaia or Time Eater related garbage they had spurted out.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I want it both ways. I want a giant demon in space to be the final boss...

...And I want that demon to be Eggman.

AvIOg5C.jpg

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda feel like it'd be fine to have one game now and then to not have Robotnik as the final boss. Lost World and Forces were good opportunities for the new villain not to be punked.

It feels like Sega took the backlash of the solid decade of Robotnik never being the final boss and gone to the opposite extreme.

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Sonic The Hedgehog is just an amv, except the anime part is an 8 year old's super cool crayon drawing of his pet dog as Goku.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Just give me Robotnik in a huge egg-themed Mecha. Sonic should always be about busting big robots.
I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

So yes, agreed. Having just finished SM (not all Chaos Emeralds), I was expecting more from the Robotnik final boss. Maybe if I had gotten all the Emeralds (but I don't care to do so).

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
I hated that personally. I don't want Robotnik in a robot again, but something better please
I kinda feel like it'd be fine to have one game now and then to not have Robotnik as the final boss. Lost World and Forces were good opportunities for the new villain not to be punked.

It feels like Sega took the backlash of the solid decade of Robotnik never being the final boss and gone to the opposite extreme.

Having a balance between the two would be pretty good. Honestly, I never really understood why they never did the final bosses in 3D as they were in 3D, Super Sonic facing off against a giant Eggman mecha.

For me, I feel like I'd be more down for the latter if we ever actually got it. Heck, even the final Eggman bosses in each game are pretty boring as well. Except Egg Dragoon in Sonic Unleashed, even with the Werehog form, that was a cool boss fight.

benbeau

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't miss it at all. It's embarrassing that it took until 2010 for Eggman to be the final boss in a 3D(ish) Sonic game.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
The music for Biolizard in Sonic Adventure 2 is something else.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with Eggman being the final boss of Sonic games, just give him actual new machines instead of constantly reskinning the Nega Wisp Armor.

As for my favorite of the demon bosses, it's Perfect Chaos.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also I want to state, for the record, that Sonic games are for children and turning into Furry Saiyans to fight God while buttrock rages in the background is basically the coolest thing ever when you're young.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I'm fine with Eggman being the final boss of Sonic games, just give him actual new machines instead of constantly reskinning the Nega Wisp Armor.

As for my favorite of the demon bosses, it's Perfect Chaos.
yeah i loved that fight but im tired of it being served back to me in increasingly lesser variants

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Having a balance between the two would be pretty good. Honestly, I never really understood why they never did the final bosses in 3D as they were in 3D, Super Sonic facing off against a giant Eggman mecha.

For me, I feel like I'd be more down for the latter if we ever actually got it. Heck, even the final Eggman bosses in each game are pretty boring as well. Except Egg Dragoon in Sonic Unleashed, even with the Werehog form, that was a cool boss fight.

I mean generations was basically both ideas. Eggman had a evil time demon that he successfully controlled and built a robot over. Concept is good the fight just had issues.