bobbychalkers

Oct 26, 2017
I'm 80% done with buying physical on Switch, it's just too convenient to just scroll over and start most of my games. Animal Crossing digital is a no brainer when it comes out.

ROMASS

One Winged Slayer
Oct 15, 2018
I didn't want to buy New Leaf but got a digital copy with that old "So many games!" promotion, only because there was no other game I was interested in.

Oh boy was it a mistake, played it daily for years and more than one thousand hours...

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
It would be super nice if the physical copy lets you download the whole game as well, and require a cartridge check once a week or something.

That way I won't have to bother with switching cartridges, but I can also resell the game once I get bored of it. Because I'm pretty sure I will once again.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
OP is giving some very good advice here. I for one regretted every single fucking day of my life buying a physical copy of New Leaf. AC is not "the game you are playing now", but a game you play - so having to swap cartridges every time is a freaking pain in the soul.

I am sure we will have at least one thread here with a "who regret buying ACNH physically here??" and who knows, #acnhregret may even be trending on Twitter. You do you, but many should thank OP for the warning.

Last edited:

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
I went digital with Animal Crossing on 3DS, and likely digital as well for Switch. I do prefer physical copies, but Animal Crossing to me is a game better having digital.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I think New Leaf was my first full digital purchase ever. I still very much prefer physical but I am considering buying this one digital since I have eShop credit and it really lends itself well to quick play sessions.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I thought physical cards can get the same amount of gold coins when they redeem it in the cart settings menu? Or is the 5% a digital offer?

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I thought physical cards can get the same amount of gold coins when they redeem it in the cart settings menu? Or is the 5% a digital offer?
Nope, physical is some meagre amount in comparison to digital. With digital you're getting $3 back from a $60 game. OP should have mentioned that it's possible to get the game cheaper than physical digitally if you have a decent amount of gold coins.

EDIT: Decent chance that preordering will get you double points, so $6 back.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If it's a forever game (aka Smash Bros, enhanced/remake Pokemon, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, etc.) then I buy digital.

Everything else is physical.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I've never understood why anyone with a switch would want physical carts. Its a portable system... like wouldn't you want your ENTIRE library to travel with you without the hassle of lugging dozens of small SD cards around that could get lost in the process?

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
In my experience, Animal Crossing is indeed much more convenient in digital format. If you wanted to get rich in previous AC games you generally needed to invest in the stalk market. That meant checking prices twice a day for as many as 6 days a week. Every week.

Certain bugs and fish can only be caught at specific times of day. Some characters are only available at certain hours. For example, K.K. Slider typically plays guitar on Saturday nights so if you want to complete your music library you need to catch him then. You may also make appointments with your neighbors at specific times.

It is not uncommon to boot up Animal Crossing four or five times per day for just a few minutes each time. It gets pretty annoying swapping out Switch cartridges every time.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
I've never understood why anyone with a switch would want physical carts. Its a portable system... like wouldn't you want your ENTIRE library to travel with you without the hassle of lugging dozens of small SD cards around that could get lost in the process?
I've always had this mindset of wanting to preserve my games and play them 30-40 years in the future when I'm retired, and I'm afraid I might lose my handheld, or forget my password, or get banned or just if the eshop closed in the future and I couldn't redownload my games.

If I had everything physical, even if I lose my handheld, I can just by another one and not worry about losing games. This is a very very long term mindset though.

I was actually all digital on Ps Vita the first few years, then rebought most of my games physical.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I buy everything digitally now so yes I agree with you
giphy.gif

This, Smash, Mario Kart 8, Tetris 99, and Super Mario Maker 2 are games I want on my Switch at all times.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
"multiple short splurges" huh? Weird. People play AC that way? I always played it for like at least 2 hours twice a day, both on console (GC) and portable (DS) form. Its certainly not a short pick up an play for a few minutes kinda game to me. Making changing discs/carts out ta be some big disruptive force will never not be extremely silly btw.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I've always had this mindset of wanting to preserve my games and play them 30-40 years in the future when I'm retired, and I'm afraid I might lose my handheld, or forget my password, or get banned or just if the eshop closed in the future and I couldn't redownload my games.

If I had everything physical, even if I lose my handheld, I can just by another one and not worry about losing games. This is a very very long term mindset though.

I was actually all digital on Ps Vita the first few years, then rebought most of my games physical.

I just view everything as very ephemeral. I'm more worried about enjoying things here and now while I can rather than planning for some future which might not even ever happen.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This could be applied to really any game...

The OP reads as if it was written by Tom Nook. And because of that even though I'm nearly all digital on Switch, I feel like I should do the opposite here...

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, physical for life. I actually got New Leaf for free digitally from club Nintendo and regret not having a physical copy.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's legacy support and supporting your digital purchases is even worse than Sony, so nah I'll buy physical.

Only platform I'm 100% digital on is Xbox and PC.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a physical only player, so no digital! It could be free and I still wouldn't get it digitally!!

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
I just view everything as very ephemeral. I'm more worried about enjoying things here and now while I can rather than planning for some future which might not even ever happen.
I guess its the different circumstances we're in. I'm a medical officer and I really barely have time to enjoy long games even though I love them so much. I have a longterm plan of keeping good care of my health, and assuming I reach average life expectancy of ~70, I could potentially have ~15 years to enjoy videogames in retirement lol.

But you're right as ever that anything could happen to cut life short.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
The big knock for the game either way is Nintendo blocking cloud save support for the game for no real reason other than to be jerks to its subscribers.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
no

i like to resell my games and nintendo games hold their value well

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
All my games are digital right now so buying AC physically and keeping it in forever will literally nullify all your points OP.
I'm always tickled by people who still buy physical media. Digital is the future, and you seem like a bunch of old people who are "back in my day" clutching to what once was.
I've recently made back close to $200 by selling all 5 of my physical Switch games that I finished, enough to fund a Switch Lite. If that makes me old so be it lol.