ImPacaTheCat

Mar 3, 2020
I nomally can't finish games over 40h, but I have no problems with Fallouts in general, Skyrim, BG3 (170h), AC Odissey (finished it twice, 100h each time), and AC Valhalla (currently 60h into it). I love to spend hundreds of hours in these games

DarthKamen

Keeper of the White Materia
Jun 22, 2023
I love big, huge games because I enjoy a big time sink for my initial playthrough.

The issue then becomes that replays are nigh impossible because of how overwhelming they seem. If I had to name a specific one then I guess Persona 5, but really any game over like 10 hours.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
you people think so much about things unrelated to the games themselves instead of just playing them sometimes its kinda crazy to me
if i want to replay something i just do
"but its x hours of something you played before that you could be playing something else"
am i having fun during these hours? isnt this the purpose? then so what. why do i have an obligation to always be consuming new content i may or may not like outside of FOMO and consumerism
This.

I don't even know how may times I replayed the Ace Attorney trilogy.

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
There are some games I want to replay before playing the sequel, but it's a big time commitment. God of War 2018 and Jedi Fallen Order.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
fallout - after the tv show i made a bigass new fallout total wastelands (fallout 3 + new vegas mod) conversion which took like 4 hours to setup, installed a shit ton of mods, played around 3 hours, and haven't gone back since
final fantasy 7 - after rebirths launch rather than buying that i modded the hell out of OG FF7 on my pc/steam, texture mods, voice acting, all kinds of shit. played about 5 hours, haven't touched it since

both are awesome but after i got my "fill" of nostalgia i didn't really feel like going back.

i am determined to finish persona 3 reloaded on gamepass though before it leaves gamepass so i usually play that a few hours a week now instead.

Exist 2 Inspire

Powered by Friendship™
Apr 19, 2018
Germany
Wow I wish I could do that. Having to replay the OG dungeons in Persona 5 Royal almost had me bouncing off the game. Do you just take comfort in replaying an existing game that you know well?

Yeah i guess so, Persona 5 (3 & 4 too) in particular has something really cozy that i love getting back too. Generally the game itself has to be great too for me to want to replay it of course.

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
assassins-creed-odyssey-screen-shot-video-games-landscape-wallpaper-preview.jpg

Freedom

I loved this game so much. The sense of exploration, the scale, seeing historical locations brought back to life, discovering hidden caves and temples, the compelling proto-Templar conspiracy plotline, the "hanging with my best friends" vibes whenever you bump into Socrates or Alkibiades, even the sci-fi shit everyone hates but I really enjoyed as a "truth behind the myths" explanation.

But that giant scale that hooked me is also the put-off for a replay. Do I really want to invest 80+ hours again?

It's not a game (at least for me) where you can only do just the golden path either, as so much of the game's hidden delights are far from that main route. Just going A to B is, for my relationship with these games, kinda just missing the point.

Also the DLC set in the afterlife is a complete slog. But then the final FreeLC that's set long after Kassandra's adventuring days is an earnest delight.

Anyone here done a full replay of the game?

Are there other games that you want to revisit but the sheer size of them always puts you off? Did you overcome that? How was it, ultimately?

i do replays of gigantic games all the time. but then again, i dont enjoy most modern games so my backlog is nonexistent. for every 10 new AAA games that come out, i might play 1. maybe. most just dont interest me.

so no, i dont have any qualms going back through games like AC:O (which I LOVE btw), or Skyrim, or Jedi Survivor. im playing KOTOR 2 again right now for like the 10th time lol.

OP
OP
Jubilant Duck

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
you people think so much about things unrelated to the games themselves instead of just playing them sometimes its kinda crazy to me
if i want to replay something i just do
"but its x hours of something you played before that you could be playing something else"
am i having fun during these hours? isnt this the purpose? then so what. why do i have an obligation to always be consuming new content i may or may not like outside of FOMO and consumerism
You've made many logical leaps here that aren't supported by, far as I can tell, anyone's posts in this thread.

FOMO or consumerism or an obligation to consume only novel content isn't the block. "Fun" isn't the sole value gained from a massive, story-led game.

Folks just have different perspectives on things and apply different value weights to certain experiences. You don't have to understand the differing POVs but it would be a bit cool to not invent a weird fanfiction interpretation to make it fit your own personal worldview.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
My main problem replaying Odyssey are those stalkers who won't leave you alone

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
You've made many logical leaps here that aren't supported by, far as I can tell, anyone's posts in this thread.

FOMO or consumerism or an obligation to consume only novel content isn't the block. "Fun" isn't the sole value gained from a massive, story-led game.

Folks just have different perspectives on things and apply different value weights to certain experiences. You don't have to understand the differing POVs but it would be a bit cool to not invent a weird fanfiction interpretation to make it fit your own personal worldview.
ive seen the arguments i discussed used enough times in this forum to say what i said. some people in here really do have trouble just not following the treadmill of consumerism and feel guilty when they "waste" time replaying anything instead of buying new games and its just not a good outlook to have. good for you if its not your case but youre still asking the internet to decide how you use your leisure time so being this irked about someone with a different outlook answering it is strange to say the least.

OP
OP
Jubilant Duck

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
ive seen the arguments i discussed used enough times in this forum to say what i said. some people in here really do have trouble just not following the treadmill of consumerism and feel guilty when they "waste" time replaying anything instead of buying new games and its just not a good outlook to have. good for you if its not your case but youre still asking the internet to decide how you use your leisure time so being this irked about someone with a different outlook answering it is strange to say the least.
No I'm not. I shared my love of a game in the OP and explained why I personally, despite often desiring to, haven't replayed it.

I then asked for people to share their similar or indeed contrasting experiences, which people have done. It's a conversation.

You didn't offer a different outlook per se; you tried to fit a bunch of people's anecdotes into a weird box. It was aggressive and counter to the fun tone of this thread.

Oct 30, 2017
AC Odyssey and Valhalla are the reasons why I am still burned by open world games…. I am dying to get into some open world games like CP 2077, but these two games seriously gave be a trauma -_-

Dragon_Quest_XI_cover_art.jpg

As for what I want to replay, it's Dragon Quest XI, I finished the vanilla version on PS4 when it was released and put 100+ hours in and it's one of my all time favourite games… and I really want to play and finish the Definitive Edition but I can't replay another 100+ hours game.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I have the same thing with Odyssey. My first playthrough I chose Kassandra because I wanted to be a boss bitch, then I wanted to replay as Alexios because I wanted to be a gay ass bitch, but couldn't muster the will to play through this huge game again. Maybe someday.

Adam Tyner

Oct 25, 2017
I picked up Persona 5 Royal for the PS4 during a Black Friday sale back in 2020, I think. Despite never playing it, I bought it again in 2022, this time for the PS5. It wasn't until last month that I finally started fired it up, completely because I was so intimidated by the time commitment. (And now, predictably, I'm obsessed.)

I sort my backlog by HowLongToBeat times, so I generally (but not always!) prioritize shorter games — to the point that exceptionally long ones like P5R take ages to make it into rotation.

El_Dabrah

Feb 18, 2024
In the past couple days, I have started Origins, Odyssey, and Valhalla because I felt like playing one again.

I just can't with Valhalla. After Odyssey, I thought this was going to be the best thing ever—it's not. Everything about it is worse than Odyssey. And just getting started again is a slog.

Origin has a very awkward opening. But damn once you get outside that map is so amazing. The combat is fine, but pails in comparison to Odyssey. I never actually finished this one, so I feel like I should see it through.

Odyssey. I personally think this game is an all-timer. It gets right into it, and Kassandra is one of my favorite protagonists, period. It's so much game, but it is such a video game that I always enjoyed playing it. I've played through it, but revisiting it is very appealing.

Where am I going with this? I don't know. I love Odyssey!

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, any single player game over 20 hours.

But then I will go play a Survival crafting game solo for 200 hours.

Don't know why I'm like this.

sheeldz

Jun 8, 2021
I have played 90 hours of ACO and loved a lot of it but jesus I have no idea how it is going to be finished, as I do not have a clue how to actually finish it. Everything feels like the main quest.

It is a nightmare of a game.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I just can't with Valhalla. After Odyssey, I thought this was going to be the best thing ever—it's not. Everything about it is worse than Odyssey. And just getting started again is a slog.

went through the same thing. I think I started over with it like 3 times and only once got to the part it starts to "open up" and even then put it down

i get what what they were going for with it, making it less "gamey" than Origins and Odyssey but I guess they went too far in that direction

that said i'll probably fire it up on again whenever I get the itch, but that'll be awhile

OP
OP
Jubilant Duck

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
Yes, any single player game over 20 hours.

But then I will go play a Survival crafting game solo for 200 hours.

Don't know why I'm like this.
This is interesting, because I'm always game to start a new campaign in Total War Shogun 2 or Civilization.

I wonder if the lack of (enforced) narrative structure beyond the procedural realities of your own personal roleplaying makes it feel like less of a commitment. It's certainly much easier to abandon a run in a sandbox campaign.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
I'm fine finishing a long ass single player game one time but to go back and replay it, it better be super fun mechanically, or I'm replaying it with a friend and we take turns playing.

Basically it's gotta have a crazy different hook or feel fantastic to play because if not I just can't see why I'd go back to it, a huge part of game enjoyment to me is discovering a game world for the first time. Even Elden Ring, a game world which I think is crazy good I'm not sure I will ever play that game a second time.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I love replaying long games, I'm already salivating at the thought of replaying Rebirth and Infinite Wealth despite finishing both not long ago.

Some of my fav replays recently were Persona 5, Judgment, FF7 Remake, Witcher 3. I always do 100% runs as well.

Of course, it does come at the cost of missing out on new releases, I dont have unlimited time. But, I dont mind, I like having a healthy backlog to pick games from. Also I'm pretty lucky with my job. Working from home and my schedule is rather scattershot, some days I have to do 7-8 hours but others I can get everything done in a couple, so I recognize I'm definitely lucky in this regard, I remember when traveling to and from my job alone took like 3 hours of my day, definitely dont miss that.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much any JRPG. Those games are huge time commitments to begin with and it usually takes me longer because I mess up whatever mechanic the developers push, mainly Final Fantasy lol.

On the flip side, I'm trying to muster the strength to play Valhalla for the first time, but that 50+ play time seems like overkill.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Basically every open world game, but Red Dead 2 in particular is one that I'd really like to try but there's no way it will ever happen.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
I'd love to do a full replay of the Dragon Age games ahead of Dreadwolf, but it seems like such a time commitment.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
BotW, TotK, Persona 5 and AC Odyssey are the longest games I have ever played. It's great to replay them but I am also lazy with it.

I played P5 Royal version one year ago. I had previously played the vanilla version at launch, so after so many years it was worth coming back to the improved version.

And I still have to play AC Origins. I finished Odyssey for the first time and loved it, but it will be hard to back because of the time. I don't know when I will play Origins, maybe early next year but who knows

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'll change my tune in a couple years, when the time comes, but replaying FF7 Rebirth on PC sounds like torture.

Last edited:

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
rarely replay anything twice,
being a huge ass open world / rpg sure seals it though

Tagovailoa

Feb 5, 2023
Persona 4

I was a NG+ run away from the plat on the Vita version but it has been like 10 or 11 years since I played that game and I'm probably not doing it again on the Vita screen

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty much how I feel about Zelda BOTW and TOTK. Loved both of them but will never replay them because of the time involved.

4KLobster

Dec 17, 2017
Japan
Odyssey had for it a wonderful setting to travel around - feels like being on vacations, so cool - and a top notch protagonist, Kassandra is such a well rounded PC.

Other games can be fantastic, like Persona 5, but without the "travelling around" component as a refresher can end up tedious (contrary to Persona 4, did not complete it...).

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Witcher 3 for sure. Every time I try to replay it I realize how long of a game it is.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
None really. There's so many good games I haven't played so I tend not to ever replay games.

Cathode Ray

Mar 30, 2024
NYC
I virtually never replay JRPGs despite being my favorite genre due to the length. The only exception is FFIV because I can borderline finish it in one sitting, I've played that maybe 3 times.

Strelok

Oct 29, 2017
Karnaca, Serkonos
Persona 4

I was a NG+ run away from the plat on the Vita version but it has been like 10 or 11 years since I played that game and I'm probably not doing it again on the Vita screen
Mind you I haven't played it in a while, but new game + in P4 was pretty fast, just start in easy, you keep your levels, do the dungeons in a single day. I think I completed it three times in a week during college.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Ah misread, I don't really replay games cause I tend to have pretty decent memory I feel over what I already played especially as far as singleplayer experiences are concerned. I also feel you get a kind of replay experience often just playing a sequel that is more iterative in nature.

Exceptions to this I suppose are games that have a lot of variable content that kinda depends on your choices. Like thinking about it Disco Elysium is kinda probably the only recent game I have replayed.

Last edited:

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I very rarely replay games. I never replay long games at all.

There's so much I want to play, I'd rather play that instead of something I've already finished.

SirThou

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played through P3: Reload yet because I finished 3 persona games in the past 1.5 years, including P3: P a few months before reload was announced. Slightly different, but I look at it every time I boot up my Xbox and think "not yet"

Sha_96

Jan 22, 2019
I want to replay The Witcher 3 with the expansions coz I never played them but it's such a huge game I feel overwhelmed just thinking about starting it

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Metal Gear Solid V is like that for me.

50 Hours if you do "all the missions" which is a bit much to just jump back into.
Sure you can just do the "main" story missions but it kinda makes it odd for a replay imo

Ah fuck

I just realised I'm about to buy MGSV again on Steam Deck.

Apr 20, 2022
RDR2. I didn't have a great experience with it first time but I see so many reccs and praise I think maybe I should give the game another go but remember how slow and clunky it is and I don't want to bother lol

Last edited:

Techno