• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Ever since I started gaming, I've always played games on the easiest difficulty setting. My reason for doing this is two fold:

1) I value my sanity. The repetitiveness of playing and replaying the same section over and over again drives me crazy. The "sense of accomplishment" that games like Dark Souls or Bloodbourne (or as I like to call them, Aneurysm Simulators), is completely lost on me. I tried playing Bloodbourne once and only got like 90 minutes, maybe two hours in before I got to the point of almost breaking my controller. There was one enemy I couldn't get past. But I stayed patient. I kept at it, getting a little better each time and eventually I finally made it past him. And I felt... Nothing. There was no great sense of triumph or achievement. Just an overwhelming sense of dred at the prospect of having to do that again for 30+ more hours. It felt like getting my teeth pulled. It was this horrible, painful experience. And when it was over, I didn't feel pride or accomplishment. I just felt relief, and thought "thank God that's over. Hope I never have to do it again".

2) I like narrative immersion. Single player, story driven games are my bread and butter. Nothing beats getting fully invested in a world and it's characters. So it royally pisses me off when I'm in the climatic chapter of a game, a great cutscene just finished, my heart's pumping I'm all amped. And then bam. You're dead. Start over. Now I've been completely sucked out of that moment. All tension that had been raised is now gone and I'm just trying to push through. This happened to me repeatedly towards the end of Red Dead Redemption 2. A spine tingling, chill inducing moment would occur, only to immediately be interupted by that slow motion death screen. Playing games on easy difficulties allows me to progress the story without fear of breaking immersion. It also allows me to walk in the shoes of the character. Master Chief is a galactic badass. He doesn't back down from anything. Yet play on Legendary and all of a sudden you're crouching down behind rocks hiding from some grunts. Playing it on easy let's your steamrole through enemies the way Chief would.

Naturally, this puts me off multiplayer gaming. In addition to being inherently repetitive, multiplayer games often have a large learning curve that requires a lengthy humbling period before you can actually compete. This is among the biggest turn off for me as a gamer. Gaming is my hobby. I'm not a journalist or an MLG (er?), I don't make a living off this. It's just something I do in my free time for enjoyment. I don't want to log into Gears 4 and get smacked around for an hour in hopes of one day being good enough to not be greeted with an audible groan when I get placed in your team.

It's like, I love basketball, it's probably my favorite sport. But I'm not about to get up every day, go hit some layup lines and dribble drills, just so I can smoke some kids in a game of 21 at the Y.

"Why even play games then? Just watch a Let's Play". Because I love playing video games. The actual gameplay part isn't what bothers me. It's just the dying over and over again part that bugs me. I still enjoy controlling the character, completing quests, making decisions and inhabiting the world. I just don't want to break up the flow of the game with respawning.

Point is, I'm not the only one. There are plenty like me, and we are people do. #CasualGamersUnite
(not casual in the sense that I only play games casually [I'm on a video game internet forum for Christ sake] but like, I play games on casual difficulty)

Last edited:

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Meeeeee. I like to 'experience' the atmosphere of games more than I like to challenge myself. And I also like to play as many games as possible. Easier modes help with that.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I'm with you. I'm too old to give a shit about 'proving something' by playing games on hard - I just want to see the story, enjoy the mechanics and move on to the next game in my excessively deep backlog.

(That's also why I avoid all the Soulsbourne games. A game that hard isn't fun - it's work.)

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Never feel shame! I'm right there with you. There are only certain titles that I enjoy the mechanics so much that I obsess and learn like From titles. Everything else I love my adaptable difficulty settings , and I love being completely immersed without the challenge. I'm horrible at first person shooters but I love them - old Starbreeze and Monolith titles are my favorites!

Stand proud! There are a ton of us!

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Needs a logo.

simplemaze1.gif

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
e2e.jpg

I play everything on easy too OP. And plus: I love to use trainers on PC!

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Feeling shame about a totally innocuous life-decision such as playing a video game on Easy speaks more about your ego than anything else.

Let your freak-flag fly and play however you want. Stop being so invested in what others think of you.

Oct 29, 2017
Do whatever you want. Who gives a shit what other people think?

People saying "blah blah hard games give a sense of accomplishment" make me roll my eyes. Sure, you do whatever you like but lets not mince words here; Video games are pointless in the grand scheme of things. You beating them or not beating them has no bearing on anything other than whatever value you personally attach to it. Nobody gives a shit if you beat Bloodborne 40 times barehanded.

SamWilson

Alt account
Banned
Mar 14, 2019
The "sense of accomplishment" that games like Dark Souls or Bloodbourne (or as I like to call them, Aneurysm Simulators), is completely lost on me.

Do you get a sense of accomplishment from any hard task?

Study hard for a test and get an A+? Get better at your job over time? Play a sport casually and slowly get better at it?

Same thing for people who like tough games. Sure, I get angry at Souls or Bloodborne. But I'm happy and relieved when I overcome an obstacle, and am excited at what gets thrown at me next.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
I agree with almost everything. I'm also a sucker for narrative heavy single player games.

There are exceptions though. One of the best gaming experiences I've had was playing The Last of Us on Hard for the first time when it released. It felt right.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't get who is shaming you. It takes more "skill" to play a game on easy than it does to engage in almost any other form of entertainment. Life is too short to beat your head against frustrating game, or frustrating part of a game, for hours on end. Just play the game at whatever difficulty makes the game the most enjoyable to you.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
I feel the same way as you about competitive multiplayer games. Especially as I get older, and I feel the sands of time pouring out bit by bit. My leisure time needs to be relaxing and fun, not full of callousness and suffering. Cause dealing with the latter is real life.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
I only like playing hard games if its mechanics focused because it forces me to learn the game but if a game is narrative driven I find that I dont care about difficulty since I want to see the story unfold naturally, so it depends on genre for me.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
While I don't play everything on easy, I do play alot of games on easy. I'm with you 100%. Play on whatever difficulty gets you to the most fun, that's all that matters.

CJohn

Oct 30, 2017
I do it as well. I don't care. I don't have the time to waste on dying 10 times to learn how to defeat an enemy or the skills to play on harder difficulties.

CrazyIvan

Oct 26, 2017
Vermont
Yup. I'm on that team. I've actively not bought or tried games that didn't have difficulty settings, and for that reason alone. I might be missing great games, but I'm also thoroughly enjoying others so it's balanced out in my book.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stop caring what other people think about how you enjoy consumable entertainment.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are people actually shaming you? Who is? How often does this come up?

Play games how you want, I don't care what other people do

Oct 25, 2017
Play how you like. Why should anyone care? I will say that if I watching someone play a game online and I find out they are playing on easy I immediately stop watching.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I feel the same way, especially regarding the whole "sense of accomplishment thing", but I understand why other people "get" it. Personally, I always start on normal, unless I can't change it later, but if I'm ever frustrated with a game, to a point where I'm simply not having fun anymore, I'll bump the difficulty down. Maybe temporarily, maybe not.

Can't say I've been shamed for it though, but I guess I just keep it to myself, unless there's a hot topic issue blowing up like people being utterly baffled by the possibility of accessibility options in FromSoft games.

At this point I just accept some games aren't for me, which is a shame but what can ya do

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
Persona 5 is best played on easy, cuts loads of time of a super long game and it's still challenging enough that it's not autopilot.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
If someone enjoys playing on higher difficulty, good for him. If someone wants to play on easiest, good for him too. You're still playing the same game. I usually try to play on Normal, but when I got bored or frustrated I don't have a problem of beating a game on easier difficulty mode and I don't see a reason why I should be ashamed.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Are people actually shaming you? Who is? How often does this come up?

Play games how you want, I don't care what other people do

It happens on Era, but it's far worse in other places. In my country there's one youtuber that shame people "exposing" their gamertag with games played on easy, it's so ridiculous

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Who's shaming you? It's a pretty weird thing to shame someone over, lol.

I play on easy if I want too. Depends on the game and my mood.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm a full time employee and college student. If I want to experience a game in a timely manner, easy is my only choice.

Dont feel bad.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Save Wizard is your friend. I pretty much use Save Wizard for most games nowadays. Aint nobody got time for bullshit grinding for materials and the like. Too many games have all this crafting mechanics and Save Wizard is good for that.

I definitely feel you.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If the developer included multiple difficulties, they want you to pick the difficulty you'll have the most fun on, whether that's the easiest, the hardest, or somewhere in the middle. No shame in your choice.

Deleted member 32563

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Who's shaming you?

Assuming your grown so what play the games the way you want.

Got nothing to prove. So why stress over it.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Same. And tbh it made me fall in love with some series.

First time I played Uncharted it was on easy, cos I'd never played a TPS before. First time I played God of War. First time I played TLOU.

Now I've beaten TLOU on Crushing and Uncharted 2/3/4 on hard or crushing. Because I really got into the game when I was enjoying myself on easy, I wound up going back to it to play again, several times through, and my skills had improved a lot each time

You load up a new game series for the first time and go for hard and you might not enjoy it and then not come back

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"Normal" modes in most games tend to be pretty easy really , going easy mode seems a bit overkill.

That being said i am so glad i played Uncharted 4 on easy with slowmo mode on.

Ratazk

Oct 27, 2017
I hear you.

I remember when I was in middle school and took pride in beating everything on hardest difficulties or earning the tough achievements.

Now, I have a career and a kid, a mortgage and actual responsibilities. I play on easy whenever I can. I game for a few hours a week if I'm lucky. Who cares what other people think? If someone shames me for consuming video games the way I choose to, that says a lot more about them than it does me. I'm too old at this point.

God bless you if you can spend hours and hours each day playing video games and mastering them on the highest difficulty settings. That's not the world I live in anymore.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
1521009387941.jpg

It's OK to play in easy mode, I usually play normal now as I don't have the time to beat a hard ass game

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It happens on Era, but it's far worse in other places. In my country there's one youtuber that shame people "exposing" their gamertag with games played on easy, it's so ridiculous

I have never encountered this. Apparently there's a whole world of people caring about what difficulty people play games on that I'm unaware of.

If you're in a community where people are attacking you for what difficulty mode you play in a video game, I strongly suggest you vacate that community because it sounds incredibly juvenile and if that's the level of discourse I can't imagine they have anything of value to offer

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
I usually play story driven games at the median level. If I want a challenge, I tend to lean towards playing games known for their challenging gameplay.