• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Despite my slow internet, I've recently bought a few digital titles. Most of these are rather large in size but thankfully they're already up for preload on my Switch & Xbox. The titles I bought on PS4 however are not (Doom, FF7). I've preordered other digital titles before and it seems the norm on PS is about 3 days before release?

Which just seems odd as games are getting bigger and those who would need it most would benefit more from things being up further out. Obviously not every game even gets a preload, but the 3 day rule just seems kind of odd. Since I've never heard of any title on PS having farther out preloads.

A preload that has updates while you wait for release is ok in my book. As it's better than downloading 100+ GB in a smaller timeframe.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
This absolutely needs to happen. It's so frustrating dealing with gigantic downloads while PSN chugges at super slow rates. Also, I'd love it if physical pre orders came with some sort of preload and the disc as the key. But sadly that will never happen.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird because I don't know who dictates it. Xbox tends to get their preloads really early but yeah Sony doesn't a lot of the time.

but like Doom still isn't up for preload on Steam

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
It doesn't seem to be the fault of PSN tbf. Red Dead Redemption 2 had a week of preload

May 25, 2019
London
It's definitely a problem, Doom Eternal has been available to preload on XBox One for a while. Same story for Animal Crossing on Switch.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
They used to do preloads weeks before release last gen but there was a big fuck up with the gta 5 preload. People were able to access the files and they posted them online so spoilers where everywhere weeks before launch. After that I think they changed the policy to 3 days before launch to avoid pissing off any other publishers.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
From some of the things we've been hearing, PS5 might actually render preloads obsolete by handling game installs in a pretty cool way. And it would be even better for physical discs.

LunarDuck

Dec 30, 2017
UK
With emphasis on the SSD and (slowly) increasing internet speeds and quality of connections over the next decade I don't think Sony will need to do it much earlier than the current practice with PS4.

Also, I imagine a concern often overlooked is the that of early data mining (regardless of encryption, folks are getting smart) especially with 'supposed' Kojima Silent hill games on the horizon for PS5 and huge hitters being developed secretly the past few years by Sony's studios.