• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
Recently rewatched BvS and man, that guy really knocks it out of the park in scenes. Anyone else excited to see him in the Flash?

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't expect to see a flash spoiler. Please tag that op. But yeah he was a good bats

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
He deserved a good solo movie but oh well, if it worked out then we probably wouldn't have gotten Pattison I guess (watching the Batman today!)

Spidey

Oct 25, 2017
UK
He was great in BvS but seemed to be sleepwalking through both cuts of Justice League, he's spoken positively about Flash so hopefully he can go out on a high because he has it in him.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't expect to see a flash spoiler. Please tag that op. But yeah he was a good bats

You mean that he is in it? That shit has been officially reported every where with him already talking about it in interviews and everything. Don't you even see his batsuit laying on the ground in the teaser?

Azubah

Dec 30, 2017
He was a good Batman and a very intense Bruce, I totally bought him being an older more bitter person.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty good in BvS.

Awful in Justice League.

Pretty good in Zack Snyder's Justice League.

I still don't think he's top tier (and I think Pattinson did much better with the "I'm just an angry jaded person" take on Batman/Bruce), but he definitely wasn't given a lot to work with.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
He did great as the older, more bitter Batman that we saw in the early parts of Frank Miller's DKR. I know people are loving the new movie, but I really wish we would have got at least one solo Batfleck film that was focused solely on him.

You mean that he is in it? That shit has been officially reported every where with him already talking about it in interviews and everything. Don't you even see his batsuit laying on the ground in the teaser?

Everything is a spoiler to some people.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Hated him at first for irrational reasons, after Bale's excellent performance it felt like going back. However he did grow on me and yeah I can agree overall (Outside of the scripts, and even they grew on me slightly, only slightly) he was a good call. Because of this my optimism for Pattison and a new take looking at how it's been received is fairly high.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny. He's a good Batman. They have a good Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman....

It was just the script wasn't that good.

Kastanjemanden

alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2022
He did great as the older, more bitter Batman that we saw in the early parts of Frank Miller's DKR. I know people are loving the new movie, but I really wish we would have got at least one solo Batfleck film that was focused solely on him.

Everything is a spoiler to some people.

Wonder if they know about Keaton

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Oct 25, 2017
Hated his cowl, Batman insignia, voice modulator, and how much of a brick shithouse he was while simultaneously looking bloated.

That said, I did like the warehouse scene at least.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
a good murderous batman

i remember almost nothing about his bruce other than him waking up in his sad foggy bachelor pad next to a naked woman that might very well have been dead for all we know since she didn't move or wake up or get a name or anything

Tycho Kepler

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 22, 2018
The casting was never the issue with these movies

Except for Lex Luthor and The Joker

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
With a good script and director, he might have been alright. Tbh he seemed like he was in a really bad point in his life during JL though, he didn't look well

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
Haven't read any comics and am not a big Batman fan, but I thought he himself was great in the role, with the issue being the writing, mostly in BvS. I really dislike TJL as a movie, but his character was far less offensive on that one.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What Batman hasn't killed?

You're right that batfleck is not alone in receiving poor characterization, though I don't know that any director has justified it quite like zack

"Oh like, 'Batman killed a guy'. I'm like, 'Really? Wake the fuck up,'" Snyder said. "So I guess that's what I'm saying about, once you've lost your virginity to this fucking movie and then you come and say to me something like, 'My superhero wouldn't do that', I'm like, 'Are you serious?' I'm like down the fucking road on that. You know what I mean?"

"It's a cool point," Snyder continued. "Look, I'm 100% fine with it. It's a cool point of view to be like, 'My heroes are still innocent. My heroes didn't lie to America. My heroes didn't embezzle money. My heroes didn't commit any atrocities.' I'm like, 'That's cool but you're living in a fucking dreamworld."

I like affleck well enough and think he did a decent job with pretty bad material

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
He is probably in the mid-low tier for Batman. He has a bit more depth in Snyder's Justice League. His problem is he just feels like a CGI Steppenwolf character most of the time he is doing anything.

Great looking suit though

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
He was great. The issues with Batfleck were no fault of his own. Could've been the definitive Batman if the characterisation didn't let him down.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He totally was. Him being an older Batman that is on the job for a while fit so well.
Shame the movies sucked and Snyder has no idea how to bring these characters to film

Aegus

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone who plays a superhero is at the mercy of their script and choices outside of their control in terms of costume/vehicle design.

So for me I generally all the actors who have played Batman have had good performances. If there is an issue it's on the production itself.

See Garfield and his films.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
Hated his cowl, Batman insignia, voice modulator, and how much of a brick shithouse he was while simultaneously looking bloated.

That said, I did like the warehouse scene at least.
Those are all the things I loved about Affleck's Batman. Especially the voice modulator. I was hoping they keep that in Pattinson's.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
He was. I would have really loved to see more of the optimistic Batman we got at the end of Snyder's JL. It's a shame about all that.

Those are all the things I loved about Affleck's Batman. Especially the voice modulator. I was hoping they keep that in Pattinson's.
Completely agreed. It makes so much more sense today than just lowering your voice. It can also make him scarier.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
His performance was fine, I just didn't really like the kind of Batman he portrayed in BvS at all. The issues are with the script, not with the dude.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
I remember liking his performance in BvS at the time but in hindsight, I think I was just excited to have a quasi-comic accurate Batman on screen for the first time since...God, I guess West.

Now that I can look back a little more clearly, especially after ZSJL, I really do think he was miscast. Affleck's natural energy is just way too laid back and chill for the part. Justice League (both versions) tries to correct for this by making his Batman more upbeat but it just comes across as awkward and out of character.

The only time Affleck feels at home in the part to me is when he's talking to Alfred in the ruins of Wayne Manor. The scene allows Affleck to drop the bravado and forced intensity, instead playing Bruce as a man who has just become sad and hopeless. That kinda worked and I wish the actual film had been built around that idea.

Sadly, for me, Affleck is like Clooney at this point. Interesting casting, and I can see how it might have worked with different direction, but the end result just feels awkward and misjudged.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
When he was announced and a lot of people hated the casting I always thought he'd do well. I thought he was good in BvS but Batman was terrible in JL. I wish he had a solo movie because I'm sure we'd finally see some of the more out there villains in his series of films.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
battfleck was great, but yeh everything else failed him, the true crime was we never got to see his batman film, he's a much more talented director than actor that i think we would've seen something special but oh well.

and yeh the suit and his hulking physique is pretty much what you'd expect from bats, and honestly he's the only film batman that had that legit intimidating presence.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
He was great. The script let him down. He would have absolutely worked as an older, disgruntled Batman.

But the Bat brandings, flippant use of guns among other things were just too much.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
At least we'll get one more movie with him.

He really did get the best Batman action scene of all time:

Serpico99

Oct 29, 2017
NYC
Would have loved to see him with a good script. I had issues with the amount of CGI though. Luckily all the fuck ups brought us this new movie.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Meh.

He had a good scene with Diana in BvS. That's about all I rate him in.

In that regard, he's about on par with Clooney, where they play a decent Bruce Wayne but their Batman is pretty forgettable, so they are tied for the worst movie Batmen for me. Everywhere Affleck's Batman shined, I'd credit Snyder, the VFX team, and stunt team for more than Affleck.

I thought his Batman voice was almost as bad as Bale's, his line delivery didn't do any favors to the dialog he was given, and he was mediocre and generic at best. He didn't really bring a personality to the character more than a version of stoic that felt stilted for Affleck rather than reserved, introspective, calculated, etc.

I swear that it seems like people like his casting because he has a square jaw and a more bulky build and that's it. Maybe that's all he was cast for, his look. I think you can see the difference in how actors like Keaton, Kilmer, and Bale did the stoicism of Batman because they acted in their eyes and their body language. Even just in the trailers, it seems like Pattinson understands that aspect of the brooding, stoic Batman that I just don't think Affleck portrayed well.

Ironically, as bad as the Daredevil movie was, he pulled off a Matt Murdock that was way more natural than whatever was going on with his Batman.