• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Not Amalgam. I want a universe where the Marvel and DC universes both exist and can interact with one another. With difficulty for normal people and more cosmic characters, but relative ease for the super beings from the respective Earths. I want to see what a bunch of creative writers and artists could do with the concept.

I want to see mutants debate whether to stay and continue fighting for a world that hates them because it's their world too or abandon it for one that mostly doesn't care as refugees.

I want to see the hostility that comes any time Superman feels compelled to involve himself with Marvel Earth's problems.

I want to see Hawkeye slowly dragged kicking and screaming into the Green Arrow family.

Speaking of arrows, there's amazing potential for a great Tony Stark and Roy Harper story about overcoming addiction.

And over time the whole thing would naturally evolve into its own unique setting.

Back when the two multiverses met in JLA/Avengers, unbeknownst to anyone the first Incursion event occurred. Not with the two main universes, but two very similar ones. However, due to the nature of these worlds, the incursion was a miss

The Earths didn't impose themselves onto one another, but settled into orbiting their individual suns in opposition to one another, putting them into a bizarre state

The event severed them both from their broader multiverses, and for each Earth, their observable universe is exactly the same *except* for the Earth in opposite orbit

You can't reach the other universe without first leaving from that universe's Earth. But you can go from one Earth to another.

That leaves us with a slate that's effectively unaltered DC and Marvel circa 2003 (with any minor tweaks that writers may want to make being justified by their being *similar* universes) as a starting point.

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
Just wait a bit longer when Warner gonna sell their DC properties to Disney

/jk

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
You led with "not Amalgam" and yet Amalgam is the only version I want of this. DC and Marvel doing the fusion dance? Awesome. DC and Marvel characters in the same universe makes me frustrated just thinking about it, unless its just a brief event or something.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Green-Arrow-Hawkeye-2.jpg

Sorry OP but I would hate your way of doing it.

The thing I would want first and foremost is Squadron Supreme as original intended with JLA.
Then make a new world with a combined roster (not all of the characters a hard cap in place) forming a new universe.

A series continuing Amalgam fusions but not the Amalgan meta story. Just let creators go crazy.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Man the Brohood of Dick, Peter, and Johnny would be epic

OP
OP
The Adder

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Wally's married. Hard to be into the fuckery with the boys when you got date night with the misses.
It's 2004 Marvel, Peter is too

You led with "not Amalgam" and yet Amalgam is the only version I want of this. DC and Marvel doing the fusion dance? Awesome. DC and Marvel characters in the same universe makes me frustrated just thinking about it, unless its just a brief event or something.
You want an Amalgam? Iron Arrow. Not because we fused Tony Stark and Oliver Queen together, but because Tony became Roy's sponsor and built him a better arm.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One of the original plans for DC Versus Marvel's ending was that the two companies would actually trade two characters, with DC getting She Hulk and Marvel getting Martian Manhunter, which I think would have been cool as fuck.

DC gets a super strong green lawyer.

Marvel gets a super strong super fast flying alien with heat vision except also he can change shape and turn invisible and phase through walls oh and he has psychic powers too

She-Hulk could have maybe worked out, but were they gonna nerf MM to make him fit in a bit more or was he only gonna be doing cosmic stuff and fighting Firelord or whatever to even things out

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Funny enough years ago Warner Bros was going to license DC comics over to Marvel.

If you look you can see the cover of Superman #1

OP
OP
The Adder

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Millions of super-powered refugees showing up on an alien planet and that planet mostly not caring isn't a compelling or remotely believable story.
I mean, you're kinda missing the forest for the trees here. The problem wouldn't be that they're mutants, it would be that they're refugees from another world and there are a lot of them (because it certainly wouldn't be all of them). Which is an intrinsically different place to be than where they are on their own Earth. That's why it would be a debate at all. Mutants are no different from DC's metas and the general populace doesn't differentiate between metas and other super powered folks. So the initial move would be rocky, but if successful that means a peaceful life for the mutants who make it over. Versus an uncertain dream future on a world that wants you dead for what you are, nit what you've done.

Shit, if Kandor hadn't been full of stuck up classist, racist assholes Earth was ready to absorb them.

Last edited:

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Mutants are no different from DC's metas and the general populace doesn't differentiate between metas and other super powered folks.

Mutants are not meaningfully different from superpowered folks in the Marvel Universe either and that's kind of the point.

The x-gene/born with powers distinction is intentionally dumb and hypocritical, just like real life bigotry.

It doesn't matter if DC has metahumans already.

OP
OP
The Adder

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Mutants are not meaningfully different from superpowered folks in the Marvel Universe either and that's kind of the point
I need you to read my posts closer. My point is that DC has "mutants at home," up to and including the whole "eventually all humans may be metas," not just "other super-powered folks," and it is a narrative point that they don't make that distinction over in DC. It's a contrast that has attention specifically drawn to it in the crossover (not just that DC has a better opinion of super-powered people in general, but specifically the mutant discrimination). Paranoid conspiracy-minded assholes in the government have a problem, but even for them it's everyone with powers.

The x-gene/born with powers distinction is intentionally dumb and hypocritical, just like real life bigotry.
Don't quote my own posts back at me, man.

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I need you to read my posts closer. My point is that DC has "mutants at home," up to and including the whole "eventually all humans may be metas," not just "other super-powered folks," and it is a narrative point that they don't make that distinction over in DC. It's a contrast that has attention specifically drawn to it in the crossover (not just that DC has a better opinion of super-powered people in general, but specifically the mutant discrimination). Paranoid conspiracy-minded assholes in the government have a problem, but even for them it's everyone with powers.

Don't quote my own posts back at me, man.

You're not getting it. The bigotry against mutants in the Marvel Universe is not rational to begin with, but you assume a rational acceptance of mutants in the DC Universe because metahumans already exist.

OP
OP
The Adder

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
You're not getting it. The bigotry against mutants in the Marvel Universe is not rational to begin with, but you assume a rational acceptance of mutants in the DC Universe because metahumans already exist.
I need you to:

1. Stop explaining something I have explained dozens of times on this forum to me.

2. Actually read the words I type.

It's a contrast that has attention specifically drawn to it in the crossover (not just that DC has a better opinion of super-powered people in general, but specifically the mutant discrimination).

3. Understand that this, being a hypothetical fictional story about spinning off a universe that crosses over 2 disparate comic book universes, does not have to carry the endless mutant suffering of the X-books onto an entirely different world that has expressly criticized Marvel's Earth, in-universe, for doing this shit.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see a conversation between Bruce and Tony - for some reason I feel like they'd hate each other XD

Superman and Cap would probably bond over their shared interest of punching Nazis back in the 40s

OP
OP
The Adder

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see a conversation between Bruce and Tony - for some reason I feel like they'd hate each other XD
Couldn't stand occupying the same space. I'm pretty sure you would never get a real conversation between Tony and the real Bruce because he just does not engage on the wavelength Tony does. But public persona Bruce would get his back driving Tony up the god damn wall. At least until he figures out Bruce is Batman.

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I need you to:

1. Stop explaining something I have explained dozens of times on this forum to me.

2. Actually read the words I type.

3. Understand that this, being a hypothetical fictional story about spinning off a universe that crosses over 2 disparate comic book universes, does not have to carry the endless mutant suffering of the X-books onto an entirely different world that has expressly criticized Marvel's Earth, in-universe, for doing this shit.

The mutant metaphor is not a bug, it's a feature. It's not something that needs to be corrected. The metaphor stands and is important because bigotry and marginalization in our world persists.

Regardless about how the DC Universe feels about their current population of superpowered beings, there are many reasons to believe mutants would still be otherized, because there are many reasons they would still be an other.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Best I've got is this exchange from JLA/Avengers as they're both tinkering with a spaceship:

Bruce: I would have sworn this was a four-day job, Iron Man, but you've tripled both thrust and maneuverability in mere hours.

Tony: Make it Tony. I'm just sorry we had to divert most of the cannon-power to do it.

Bruce: I'm not. I don't much like guns.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
If the universes merged the Green Lantern Core would hate it but likely expand.

Brainiac would love to add to his collection but run into a lot of trouble. Joker would make sure Ultron and others got some power rings.

I always wondered how mutants and meta humans would get along.

Would red hood team up with punisher and would spectra and ghost rider have a drink together?

OP
OP
The Adder

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
If the universes merged the Green Lantern Core would hate it but likely expand.

Brainiac would love to add to his collection but run into a lot of trouble. Joker would make sure Ultron and others got some power rings.

I always wondered how mutants and meta humans would get along.

Would red hood team up with punisher and would spectra and ghost rider have a drink together?
I actually think the Corp would leave the Marvel end of the universe alone given how I structured the idea. They'd probably add two more lanterns for Earth's sector though.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
I actually think the Corp would leave the Marvel end of the universe alone given how I structured the idea. They'd probably add two more lanterns for Earth's sector though.

They may want to but the rings of some color will either make their was there on their own or someone to make sure they got there. Once that happens I think the Corp will have to expand there at least a little to monitor things.

Marvel street level heroes stepping foot into Bludhaven would be entertaining.

True street level or Spider-man street level? Guess it would be fun in different ways either way.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Even if we don't get a new comic run it would be cool to get an animated show of it. Disney should try and work with WB to license the rights and make a show, give it the same quality you're giving X-Men 97.

bleck98534

Feb 18, 2023
Funny enough years ago Warner Bros was going to license DC comics over to Marvel.

If you look you can see the cover of Superman #1
This whole story was always very interesting. But is there really somewhere you can see such a cover? I know that Jim Shooter always claimed that the cover drawn by John Byrne existed somewhere, but from what I understood Byrne disputed this and insisted a full cover never existed.

On a related note to the idea of this thread, I wonder if that purchase had gone through whether the universes would merge or interact in the way OP suggests. I know that John Byrne once mentioned that a proposed idea within Marvel would be to operate two universes at once - Marvel Red and Marvel Blue, the latter being a continued or reimagined version of the DC Universe.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who already hates intra-universe crossovers, let alone inter-universe crossovers, that would be an easy pass for me. Both universes are already way too ungapatchka with all their aliens, gods, mutants, science experiments gone wrong, etc.