Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously, there is stuff you can find that is similar (say Arkham City / Knight and very obviously, Bioshock 1 and 2), but I want a game that is like... on the ground floor so to speak and also be like an RPG lol

I took these screenshots, the art direction of the map still holds up well to this day:

dS1usAN.jpeg

4C6WGQt.jpeg

uPt6rur.jpeg

I99Lu8S.jpeg

JcoZJku.jpeg

A40X68w.jpeg

8FKvx1a.jpeg

1lP26dS.jpeg

I think while not exactly the same, something like Shadows of Doubt does give off similar vibes as well, though obviously a very different art style overall.

I think another thing is that due to the story it's a lot more on the "mystical" side of things, which I think also helps add to the atmosphere. I'd love for a game to also keep the very "tightly packed" nature of it with tons of alleyways and such rather than big open streets.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
Treyarch COD this year and I wouldn't doubt if the following year is a "best of black ops " and we get a zombie chronicles 2, modern shadow of evils will be there.

May 15, 2019
I miss Shadows of Evil, I hope they bring it back in a future game. I'd love a non-Call of Duty FPS that took place in a near identical setting.

Beelzebufo

Jun 1, 2022
Canada
"i want zombies to be a full game" has been such a common request since i was a teenager that i'm somewhat shocked it still hasn't happened and likely never will

Apr 3, 2020
Treyarch they've always been an ACE while designing the zombies maps

Unfortunately, this is the last good zombies map, afterwards it was mess, and CW killed the zombies with changes that happened

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Art deco is a very fun style to work with, for sure. A detective game with full exploration set in an art deco noir cityscape would be great.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Art deco is a very fun style to work with, for sure. A detective game with full exploration set in an art deco noir cityscape would be great.

Yeah, and have it be sort of Immersive Sim style and it would just be perfect.

Honestly, as I said above, if we could get a game in the style of Thief in a setting like this would honestly make too much sense imho.

Doubly so if they go for Large but dense but not like... Massively Large and sparse. Being very interconnected would be very cool.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
lol, that's the first and the only time i will see someone say this about SoE

After going back to it after years, I do think the map is good, but it does have the big issue that the Pack-a-Punch is annoying to get to. Imho, you can have a complicated map, but the Pack-a-Punch should always be easy to get to for pure Survival runs.

That being said, I do think SoE is probably the best map on a purely aesthetic / atmosphere level, rivaled by stuff like Dead of the Night.

Vic20

Nov 10, 2019
After going back to it after years, I do think the map is good, but it does have the big issue that the Pack-a-Punch is annoying to get to. Imho, you can have a complicated map, but the Pack-a-Punch should always be easy to get to for pure Survival runs.

That being said, I do think SoE is probably the best map on a purely aesthetic / atmosphere level.
I like the map, it was probably a bit of a shock for some players as a launch map.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I like the map, it was probably a bit of a shock for some players as a launch map.

Bruh, even me as someone who put hundreds of hours of Zombies before BO3 launched, I still got massively confused by Shadows of Evil and maybe played it only a hand full of times and just stuck to The Giant until the DLC arrived.

Going back to it now, I do understand it a bit better now as there has been maps of similar-ish complexity that I think make going back to SoE much easier.

NeonGhost120

May 3, 2023
I miss set characters in zombies I hate the operators. With the introduction of operators in zombies all life has been sucked out of the mode story is so bland because of it.

May 3, 2024
I really get you, BO3 Zombies was the last time I actively played zombies. And shadows of evil with its aesthetic is so unique. I need Xbox to revive that zombie compilation game activison was working on, a a next gen cross platform zombie portal.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
that's just black ops 3 on PC with custom maps.

Honestly folks need to check out the custom Zombies scene, there is a lot of crazy good stuff in there and some mods straight up even make it have features if not play like later games. Like I've just started using the AAE mod that let's you basically make it function like a mix of BO4 and BOCW.

I actually used said mod to open up all the doors and turn on the power to take the screenshots in the OP lol

Vic20

Nov 10, 2019
Honestly folks need to check out the custom Zombies scene, there is a lot of crazy good stuff in there and some mods straight up even make it have features if not play like later games. Like I've just started using the AAE mod that let's you basically make it function like a mix of BO4 and BOCW.

I actually used said mod to open up all the doors and turn on the power to take the screenshots in the OP lol
the quality of the maps is also insane, I played this map called shoot Haus, if you told me it was made by Treyarch I would've believed you