• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
/Update:

Now Hitman 2 is in the club as well. Awesome!

We have a new member of the High Framerate Club - Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome Shadow of the Tomb Raider!

Welcome, God of War, to the trend of high framerates. Your arrival is much appreciated.

Slowly but surely, on PS4 (Pro) and Nintendo Switch (of course) more and more developers tend to focus on performance and I love it. I just had to express my happiness.

I love that Platinum went with 60fps for Nier Automata.

Mario Odyssey wouldn't be the same without 60fps.

I absolutely love playing Rise of the Tomb Raider in High Performance mode. It never felt better to control Lara Croft.

Metal Gear Solid 5, with its open world, in 60fps, I love it.

Resident Evil 7? 60fps, who would have thought? Awesome!

I have great respect for Dice for staying true to themselves over the years and giving us Battlefront and Battlefield 1 in glorious 60fps. Cannot express how immersed I got into Battlefront 2015 because of that. Haven't got Battlefront 2 though, because, you know.

Being able to play The Last Of Us and the Bioshock Collection in 60fps is a dream come true, in all seriousness.

They updated No Man's Sky with a high performance mode, is that cool or what?

The new Shadow Of The Colossus has a 60fps mode, holy moly, now if they could just fix Wander's face.

Playing Yakuza Kiwami and Yakuza 0 in 60fps? Hell yes. Too bad Yakuza 6 takes a step backwards again.

The Metro games in 60fps, they never looked better.

Doom 2016? Hello? What? You're running in 60fps? Yes baby!

Dark Souls 3 on PS4 Pro looks and feels SO much better on PS4 Pro, despite not having locked 60fps.

You know what the best thing about Skyrim VR is? It runs in 60fps.

Nioh got a 60fps mode, right decision no doubt.

Ni No Kuni 2 running in 60fps? A JRPG!? Arigatou gozaimasu!

Why is Metroid Prime so perfectly playable and pleasant to the eyes still today? Because it runs in 60fps.

I cannot wait to see which direction the next consoles will take. There is only so much you can do to push the "graphical fidelity" further (long way to go in terms of physics though); eventually, switching to 60fps is the next logical step.

TL;DR:
They just removed the 30fps mode from Fortnite; I wish every game would get an update like this.

Happy Easter!

Last edited:

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
there is no trend OP

Games which dont push the hardware very much will *aim* for 60fps, and games that push the hardware will not. Those in the middle of that scenario have had 60fps planned from the start like every other generation. The only difference is that the Pro and X make it slightly easier to allow uncapped FPS. Nintendo has gone for 60fps for most of their titles historically.

Abriael

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Milano - Italy
You're perceiving a trend that does not exist.

Also. I seriously hate having to read some people complaining that a turn-based strategy JRPG runs at 30 FPS.

This whole "60 FPS or bust!" craze some people have is as irrational as saying that games should be 30 FPS because they're more cinematic.

Both options are valid and relevant. It's the developer that should decide what is best for its games, and in many cases, it's not sacrificing other things to push twice the frames.

Anton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I'd call this much of a trend honestly, still plenty of games which are only 30FPS on console

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no trend and games being 30 or 60 FPS has no baring on sales, it's why Insomniac games stopped targeting 60FPS.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
I normally don't care about this kinda thing, but KH 2.8's 60FPS upgrade for Dream Drop Distance is weirding me out in a good way. I hear the other games are like this in the PS4 collection?

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
There's no trend and games being 30 or 60 FPS has no baring on sales, it's why Insomniac games stopped targeting 60FPS.

It's weird how frequently this is brought up as if it's definitive proof, and the end of any debate. It was one company with their own findings, possibly skewed around the particular type of game they were making. I'm not saying it's wrong, it could very well be right for the entire industry. But I don't think insomniac's findings can be so broadly applied.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I hope we can finally go back to 60fps being the standard they're shooting for again like in the old days. Sure there was slowdown in 8-and 16-bit games, but most of the time games ran at 60 frames; it was the standard.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
There is no trend and unless it's a competitive online game, I don't care for 60FPS.

Mo0

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I think you're overlooking the fact that FPS is at least somewhat dependent on how much fidelity the game is going for. Your Yakuza example sort of glosses over how the two games running at 60 FPS are based on an engine designed to run on the PS4 and PS3, while 6 is just for the PS4.

What *is* great is the fact that the option exists for developers to pick which standard to shoot for. Games running at 60FPS now have the ability to still look great, since the line between that and bleeding edge visual fidelity is so hair-thin now.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls is going to be a native 60fps now (DSFix is an awesome solution but the glitches it triggers..)

Bloodborne was going to be 60fps as well (hackers discovered mode to enable it -but it doesn't function right was likely dropped early).

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Platinum and Nintendo almost always target 60. You're also listing some ports/PS4 pro updates after launch...

There is no trend. Majority of games will still be 30fps.

taahahmed

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
United States
The trend is not nearly as pronounced as it is in multiplayer games. Developers realized that console players want to play competitively at a very high response rate, so now we have a larger portion of 60FPS multiplayer than we did last gen. Games like Rainbow Six, halo 5, gears 4, battlefield (and battlefront), and others would have been 30 instead of 60 on last gen hardware.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I normally don't care about this kinda thing, but KH 2.8's 60FPS upgrade for Dream Drop Distance is weirding me out in a good way. I hear the other games are like this in the PS4 collection?

0.2 is uncapped, but 1.5+2.5 is 60fps....since they are PS2 games its the least they could do to get people to buy these games for the third time

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
There is a trend, most of the vest selling games each year are 60 FPS.
Fifa,COD, BF (that were aiming for 30 FPS last gen), Overwatch, Fortnite (free, but still), Mario, Splatoon, Halo (went 60 FPS this gen too), etc...

Most single player games that aim at a "cinematic experience" are still 30 FPS, but people are getting used to 60 thanks to the multiplayer games and I hope this show on single player games soon (like when people felt COD was more fluid than BF last gen.

Oct 26, 2017
Eh...unless next gen consoles focus on it I don't see it becoming a trend. PC gaming has always had the options but in the console space Nintendo is the exception. If the PS5 and XB2 focus on true 4K at the expense of frame rate then I don't see a trend, I see a few exceptions.

OP
OP
60fps

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I hope we can finally go back to 60fps being the standard they're shooting for again like in the old days. Sure there was slowdown in 8-and 16-bit games, but most of the time games ran at 60 frames; it was the standard.
Yes, it's why Super Metroid plays so much better than the new Samus Returns in my eyes.

illamap

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
9/12 most played games on xbox are 60fps titles. If you want make money it is recommended to aim for 60fps, despite resetera suggesting that eye candy sells to casual masses or something.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

There was no "standard" in the 6th gen, just a slightly bigger ratio on certain consoles in certain genres like 18 years ago. And 60fps in the retro era was pretty mandatory because 30fps didn't work with the type of rendering used in 8/16-bit formats.

Gurish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
I think there are MUCH more 60 fps games than previos gen, that's for sure (even most of the PS2 gen remasters didn't run at 60 fps back than! let alone AAA PS3/360 games) but I wouldn't say it's a trend as obviously the vast majority still target 30 fps. But yeah there is a big improvement in that regard over last gen.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
So many 60fps games even with that weak CPU!

This is why next gen when PS5 and Switch 2 has a real CPU i expect much more 60fps games becoming standards, no more excuses!

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wish it would become a trend haha, but I don't see it either.

I think there are MUCH more 60 fps games than previos gen, that's for sure (even most of the PS2 gen remasters didn't run at 60 fps back than! let alone AAA PS3/360 games) but I wouldn't say it's a trend as obviously the bast majority still target 30 fps. But yeah there is a big improvement in that regard over last gen.

That's because there's a shit ton of "REMAsterED!" stuff

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
there is no trend OP

Games which dont push the hardware very much will *aim* for 60fps, and games that push the hardware will not. Those in the middle of that scenario have had 60fps planned from the start like every other generation. The only difference is that the Pro and X make it slightly easier to allow uncapped FPS. Nintendo has gone for 60fps for most of their titles historically.
Are you saying Odyssey and MK8 (Wii U version) dont push the hardware? Even Uncharted 4 targeted 60 at some point, doesnt mean they weren't pushing for the best possible visuals.

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd love if next gen they just released two SKUs of hardware. Allow the people who care about this sort of thing to buy the premium version so we can at least have uncapped framerates. I know people scoff at that but I don't mind it. Hitman, Witcher 3 both do this and at times I enjoy their performance modes more than I do the 4K stuff.

Dec 3, 2017
Widespread hardware support for variable refresh in TVs/consoles is going to dramatically change the way developers decide to make tradeoffs in games. Can't wait for that.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
It's become more common, but trend? Nah.

The biggest issue is the mobile CPU's in the consoles. Even the Xbox One X, with its amazing GPU, doesn't have a CPU good enough to guarantee 60fps in most games.

Miasma

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
i see no trend unfortunately, Its always going to be consoles 30 FPS and PC High frame rates and loads of options that's why I have both.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I like the balance of 60fps and 30fps titles this console generation.

The games that should be 60fps tend to be (particularly shooters now). 30fps games are usually ambitious enough (whether that's visually, or due to aspects like world-size) to warrant the lower frame-rate.

I definitely see a trend.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Look at all the current 60fps games out right now!

*proceeds to list remasters of previous gen games*

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Are you saying Odyssey and MK8 (Wii U version) dont push the hardware? Even Uncharted 4 targeted 60 at some point, doesnt mean they weren't pushing for the best possible visuals.

Nintendo games are always 60fps, unless they are pushing the hardwareextremely(Breath of the wild). You can push the hardware at 60fps, but not from a rendering point of view.

Its called a sacrifice for what your prioritizing

Deleted member 2321

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kind of agree with OP.

Maybe not a "trend" yet, but 60fps is a thing now.

It´s a thing people talk about, it´s slowly becoming a back of the box bullet point.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if it really is a trend. It's nice that it has gotten more prominent with midgen consoles, but I feel like it still isn't as popular as the past.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I would like to see it more extended before calling it a trend.
I love 60 fps, and it's my main reason for playing on PC whenever I can, and one of the main reasons it's so pleasant to play some Nintendo games (even if Zelda, XC2, and other new big Nintendo games target 30 fps...) and Platinum games.