Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
some great decisions and some truly baffling awful decisions. poor pacing. poor side quests. uninspired music outside of some cutscenes. no restraint with Sephiroth. it could have been so much better.
that said, i am looking forward to playing the next parts just to see how the locations look. i don't expect to be satisfied by the story

I get difference of opinions and I can maybe see a defense for most your comments - but the soundtrack is phenomenal, through and through. Possibly one of the best JRPG soundtracks, ever. Also, there are SO many tracks, too. Quality + quantity.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
I'd played the OG FF7 on PS4 just in time before I played the remake as a refresher and I ended up appreciating the remake a lot and thought it was a true labor of love.
The battle system is *chef's kiss*

Intergrade was an awesome release technically and I remember DF found no issues with it to complain about.

napkins

Nov 18, 2017
I get difference of opinions and I can maybe see a defense for most your comments - but the soundtrack is phenomenal, through and through. Possibly one of the best JRPG soundtracks, ever. Also, there are SO many tracks, too. Quality + quantity.
perhaps i am being unfair and only remembering the background music. walking around and dungeons. that was the stuff i found to just fade into the background instead of the strong moods the original conveyed. and perhaps my experience with the game influenced my overall opinion and i'm being entirely unfair to the rest of the soundtrack

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
The combat in the game is incredible. Shit feels borderline miraculous.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
The original is in my top 3 games ever. The remake started off really strong but kinda fell apart once fights got to the point where you would have more options in the original and from there on our out just felt too diluted and the story completely fell apart.

I'll probably still check out the next instalment as I believe they said they want each one to be a different style gameplay wise so hopefully it goes a bit more in depth/less action based.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Remake was worth it for the soundtrack alone. Absolutely ridiculous amount of music and so much good stuff in there too. Can't wait for Rebirth.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
As someone like many others who holds FF7 in very high regard especially as it was basically foundational to my youth (I had just turned 13 when it came out), I had a smile on my face the entire damn time I played this game.

It was a real joy getting to experience FF7 almost exactly how I envisioned a game like that looking and playing "in 20 years," when we were wondering what games would be like in a couple decades. Some parts of it are like the pre-rendered cutscenes come to life.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
It's great.

That said it does feel somewhat uneven with some areas clearly having a greater attention to detail others lack, but it's not something that actually bothered me.

As soon as I finished my first playthrough on normal I immediately started another on hard, and that was when the combat really shined for me.

Yup lol

Music in this game is ridiculously good.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
It has its issues, but it's a 10/10 experience for me. Combat is great, the main character models are insanely perfect, the cutscenes are so well directed, the localization-adaptation of the original script feels sharp, the OST feels like the composers are absolutely in love with Uematsu. It simply exudes a confidence and competence that Square-Enix games haven't had in a while (XIV excluded, though that game has to make some concessions in presentation because it's an MMO).

One thing I find fun about the game is that you can completely tell which moments in the game the dev team was like "okay, we need to fucking nail this", because the game soars in those moments. The Bombing Mission, The Airbuster, Wall Market, meeting The Turks, facing off with Sephiroth at the end, etc.

Oh, and there's a drippy-goey-grungy-slimy-contrasted-saturated something to the art style that feels so true to the 90s aesthetic of the original. I adore the look.

Vidpixel

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic game, the amount of care put into it is simply incredible, and certain side characters get even more fleshed out than in the original in cool ways. My only major issue is the unnecessary padding in certain sections that didn't need to exist.

Midnight

Jan 5, 2018
It's so good, and I don't recall any issues on the PS4. Just an amazing experience all around.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
I didn't care much for the gameplay but the cutscene quality was fantastic.
It's still so uneven, at best, certainly in the early game (I couldn't stick with it). I have a bunch of clips I took of this game because the actual product quality was so far off from the discussion that I was confused how folks could overlook the sparse environments and weird instances of broken animation, the mediocre renderer, etc. I mean this whole sequence was baffling:

Hazuki_X

Dec 11, 2021
It's still so uneven, at best, certainly in the early game (I couldn't stick with it). I have a bunch of clips I took of this game because the actual product quality was so far off from the discussion that I was confused how folks could overlook the sparse environments and weird instances of broken animation, the mediocre renderer, etc. I mean this whole sequence was baffling:
… err, what?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I enjoyed it a lot.

Anyone just didn't click with Intergrade? I own it, but I pushed down my queue. Wasn't grabbing me.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Quality is all over the place.

And the fact the only way they figured how to expand Midgar was to add sewers, samey underground facilities, secret labs, and make the character fall through the ground multiple times literally just to waste your time so you can get back up there, is very not impressive to me. Makes it really annoying to replay.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Yeah I wish I could replay FFVII remake more for the combat, but the really bad and boring stuff makes me dread thinking about it

Would love a 15-20 hour version of this game, without all the shit bits dragging it down

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of boss battles and their spectacular presentation is pretty insane. I'm so happy they nailed the combat and the characters on the first chapter, extremely hyped for Rebirth.
Besides the combat, the biggest surprise was the writing, while some story bits can be questionable, they absolutely nailed the characters, showing the fans that they actually understand the soul of the original (new Barret should've been toned down a little, his VA is so good, but I don't think it was the right decision to keep him like the original localized version), the game is so funny and the interactions between the cast was a joy to watch.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Oct 25, 2017

Gonna piggyback off this post and post my list of must-haves and good optional mods:

[Essential]

-Visual-

Barrett -No Sunglasses-
www.nexusmods.com

Barrett -No Sunglasses-

Removes Barrett's Sunglasses!

Sector 7 Upscale
www.nexusmods.com

Upscaled textures - Sector 7 Environments

This mod takes all the environment textures below 4K (4096x4096) in Sector 7 Slums, and replaces them with AI upscaled versions.

NPCs Fix - restore PS4 better-looking NPC textures
www.nexusmods.com

NPCs Fix - restore PS4 better looking npc textures

Replace NPCs head and skin texture with their better looking version from PS4.

Intershade
www.nexusmods.com

Intershade

The only reshade you'll ever need.

-Audio-

Wall Market Dynamic Rescore
www.nexusmods.com

Wall Market background music dynamic re-score

Replaces each of Wall Market's 3 background music tracks with re-scored versions of 'The Oppressed' to perfectly fit the scene.

Bland Sewer Music Replacement With Original FFVII Uematsu Tracks (IMO pick the Jazz one)
www.nexusmods.com

Bland Sewer Music Replacement With Original FFVII Uematsu Tracks

Replaces the bland area and battle music in the sewers with the remake versions of the original much better music, 'Lurking in the Darkness' written by original composer Nobuo Uematsu that played in t

Less Obnoxious Grunting in Cutscenes
www.nexusmods.com

Less Grunting in Cutscenes

Edits English voice over files to moderately reduce the overly numerous and unnatural sounding grunts in cinematics.

Jukebox Sound ON Very Short Distance
www.nexusmods.com

Jukebox Sound ON Very Short Distance

The distance of all the extra music sounds is considerably reduced from the camera.

[Classic Vibes]

-Visual-

Shinra Building Original COLORS
www.nexusmods.com

Shinra Building Original COLORS

This mod TURNS the shinra building back to its original 1997 color scheme. The President ordered the renovation!

LoreFriendly Cloud's SOLDIER 1st Class
www.nexusmods.com

LoreFriendly Cloud's SOLDIER 1st Class

The Mod is very basic, it is just a reskin of Cloud's outfit, and its own name says it all: A reskin that makes logical sense with PJ Cloud Strife and his CGI and menus in Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Original Tifa Hair and Eyes
www.nexusmods.com

Original Tifa Hair and Eyes

Tifa's hair and eye colors are changed to more closely resemble her design in the original Final Fantasy VII, both in the game, and in concept art.

President Shinra Original COLORS
www.nexusmods.com

President Original COLORS

This mod TURNS President back to his original 1997 color scheme.

Rufus - In a Suit
www.nexusmods.com

Rufus in a Suit

This mod swaps out Rufus' in-game outfit for a suit. The suit does have jacket physics. The mod includes two options: a white suit and a black suit.

Reno - No Purple Lips
www.nexusmods.com

No Purple Lips For Reno

Makes Renos lips less purple

Ifrit - Original COLORS
www.nexusmods.com

Ifrit Original COLORS

This mod TURNS Ifrit back to its original 1997 color scheme.

Shiva - Original COLORS
www.nexusmods.com

Shiva Original COLORS

This mod TURNS Shiva back to its original 1997 color scheme.

-Audio-

PS1 Menu Sounds
www.nexusmods.com

PS1 Menu Sounds

This mod will replace the FF7R menu sounds with the classic Final Fantasy VII PlayStation 1 sounds. This covers the scrolling, selecting, canceling and ATB gauge sounds. If there are any other menu so

Anxious Heart After Reactor 1 - Chapter 2 Fix
www.nexusmods.com

Anxious Heart After Reactor 1 - Chapter 2 Fix

Replaces the misplaced Shinra theme at the very beginning of chapter 2 with a remake version of Anxious Heart as it was in the original game and as suits the mood better. Saw this requested somewhere

Mako Reactor re-score (OG Ensemble) featuring bells and synths
www.nexusmods.com

Mako Reactor re-score (OG Ensemble) featuring bells and synths

Returns bells and synths instrumentation to Mako Reactor field music for Chapters 1 & 5. Does not affect battle music. Remake-style modern production.

Main theme replaced with 'On that day 5 years ago' after getting off the train to head to 7th heaven
www.nexusmods.com

Main theme replaced with On that day 5 years ago getting off train to head to 7th heaven

Replaces Main theme to 'On that day 5 years ago' as it was played in this section of the game in the original.

Flowers Blooming In The Church (orchestra) Sector 5 Church re-score
www.nexusmods.com

Flowers Blooming In The Church (orchestra) Sector 5 Church re-score

Replaces the Church interior background music with 'Flowers Blooming in the Church,' performed by an orchestral ensemble. Does not affect the rooftops level.

tandeciarz

Apr 21, 2020
Glad you liked it. Never clicked for me, i loved the opening and the first boss fight but once it started within the next areas, characters that didn't exist any stuff… just felt so artificially stretched so I just stopped playing 😔

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I started playing this today. And while the production values are so good...it feels really at odds with the voice acting and script. You have these incredible looking characters saying absolute nonsense animating in the most hammed up cheesy way and frankly I just don't like it.

I hope one day we'll get a final fantasy game that manages to nail it all. But maybe it's just a Japanese thing.

solisolisoli

Jul 30, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
My first ever RPG was FF7 (and legend of the dragoon at the same time) and when I played FF7R I had the same exact 10 year old excitement I haven't had in so long. It was seriously so awesome. Cried, laughed, pumped with Tifa and her gym song. I know some people have issues with whatever, but it is simply one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. Closely to first time playing MGS2 after being hyped for it's release back in the day.

Watching Cloud in the beginning and the song start blasting was just as good as watching Snake jump from the bridge and have his stealth camo explode in lightning.

Altezein

User requested ban - Corrupted by Vengeance
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina
And the fact the only way they figured how to expand Midgar was to add sewers, samey underground facilities, secret labs, and make the character fall through the ground multiple times literally just to waste your time so you can get back up there, is very not impressive to me. Makes it really annoying to replay.
The fact that the next game needs to cover a lot of the original story and locations (as we now know it's a trilogy) inspires confidence in this regard imho. There doesn't seem to be much room for this kind of paddling anymore.

Vidpixel

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that the next game needs to cover a lot of the original story and locations (as we now know it's a trilogy) inspires confidence in this regard imho. There doesn't seem to be much room for this kind of paddling anymore.

Yeah, one would assume the pacing should feel better as a result. I'm just curious how much content will inevitably get cut or change drastically from the original, as there's still sooo much to cover in 2 more games.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
I had mixed feelings about the game itself, but it does look phenomenal and has a ton of great asset work, character models, animations, etc..

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
The visuals in the game are really inconsistent. There are these immaculate character models walking around PS3 cardboard environments at times. The cutscenes at least look great.

I went back to it with Intergrade trying to meet the game on its own terms (and not what I wanted/expected from FFVII) but yeah, still found it to be a pretty mediocre game. The battle system is fun, but outside of that I found it a chore to complete.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
I'll say it a million times....

The expectations for this game were sky high, and I expected SE to crash and burn completely.
BUT boy did they deliver. I'm still in disbelief they actually pulled it off.

90% of the game is just bliss.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
I started playing this today. And while the production values are so good...it feels really at odds with the voice acting and script. You have these incredible looking characters saying absolute nonsense animating in the most hammed up cheesy way and frankly I just don't like it.

I hope one day we'll get a final fantasy game that manages to nail it all. But maybe it's just a Japanese thing.

To the extent that way too many games (and shows, and movies) have the pretense of dead seriousness despite being undeniably goofy, I appreciate that Final Fantasy (usually) doesn't take itself that seriously. The overt campiness is part of the reason I love the franchise, especially because there are absolutely hard-hitting and dramatic portions of the storytelling that they really nail when they want to.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I played the demo but the biggest problem is I really only like tactics or turn based RPG. Im not sure I could really enjoy the game if I actually bought it.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a nice orchestral version of the series main theme?

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017

This is mostly from the nomura involved games (7,8, 10,13,15) . They have a strong influence from Shonen Anime, and can get pretty corny in regards to the dialogue , but I am okay with that. There are FF games that are more grounded in regards to dialogue and more focused on the politics of the world, though there are still elements of that corniness here and there (12, 14 and most likely 16) . It does feel like there should be a final fantasy for everyone.

jmsebastian

Nov 14, 2019
The presentation of the game is extremely good. The characters translated much better to modern designs than I expected they would (though there are still some questionable choices with regard to Tifa and Scarlet). It doesn't look ridiculous, which I really thought it would. I'm a bit disappointed that they gave away so much of the plot through cutscenes and whatever, but the number of people who played it who don't already know the story has got to be in the single digits percentage-wise, so it's not too big a deal.

I just really wish I found it more fun to play as the combat was a clunky mess for me.

ArcticDonkey

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Neither can I OP.

But I don't think I mean it the way you do.

Don't want to be a downer in what's a very celebratory thread but yeah, I couldn't disagree more. I'll just say the OST is ace and leave it at that.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
I played the demo but the biggest problem is I really only like tactics or turn based RPG. Im not sure I could really enjoy the game if I actually bought it.

I was in the same boat, but I would say at least on normal difficulty the challenge ramps up pretty early on and effectively using the ATB system becomes a constant thing throughout the game. The demo takes place during the opening minutes of the game, and just spamming normal attacks lays waste to everything in the reactor save the Guard Scorpion battle. As the game goes on when you get in the meat of it, you're basically just doing normal attacks to build meter, but your real damage comes from effectively using the ATB meter.There's also a good bit of depth between your characters unique mechanics, the pressure/stagger mechanic, ATB, and your materia/build. I mean, you can technically setup hotkeys and play it mostly as an action game but I didn't do that. It very much caters to the turn-based preference player imo. I went into it disappointed about the action-based combat news during development, and found that they came up with a pretty incredible battle system that really splits the difference and keeps things fun without losing any of the strategic depth of turn-based systems. It's pretty damn good imo.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I was in the same boat, but I would say at least on normal difficulty the challenge ramps up pretty early on and effectively using the ATB system becomes a constant thing throughout the game. The demo takes place during the opening minutes of the game, and just spamming normal attacks lays waste to everything in the reactor save the Guard Scorpion battle. As the game goes on when you get in the meat of it, you're basically just doing normal attacks to build meter, but your real damage comes from effectively using the ATB meter.There's also a good bit of depth between your characters unique mechanics, the pressure/stagger mechanic, ATB, and your materia/build. I mean, you can technically setup hotkeys and play it mostly as an action game but I didn't do that. It very much caters to the turn-based preference player imo. I went into it disappointed about the action-based combat news during development, and found that they came up with a pretty incredible battle system that really splits the difference and keeps things fun without losing any of the strategic depth of turn-based systems. It's pretty damn good imo.

Im glad that you were able to enjoy it as a turn based fan. Ive watched a bunch of YT videos and it just doesnt seem like my kinda game. I'll wait to see how the second turns out. Maybe way down the road I may play this game.