• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Almost 3 years ago i created this thread

www.resetera.com

I kinda miss Assassin's Creed Multiplayer

Yesterday i stumbled upon documentary about Mont Saint-Michel and boy did it bring memories of AC Multiplayer. Just look at this I am still convinced that it was one oft the more unique multiplayer released to date and it is sad that Ubisoft abandoned it (they abandoned many things...

And today i was once again reminded how unique and interesting it was.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyr9Y0MP3Hs

This comes from someone who stopped playing Multiplayer games after original CoD MW2. AC MP was basically Among Us before Among Us, and at the time of the release one of the most unique multiplayer addons. That was era when Publishers were making MP modes for each SP release and somehow Ubisoft managed to basically land it on the first try for AC (something they can't do these days even if their life was depending on it). AC MP had some things that were later made popular like story attached to it (i know getting cutscenes after reaching certain ranks is not much but still) and in later installments they even incorporated MP characters into SP. In the era of chasing K/D ratios it was MP that rewarded quality of kill and not number of kills.

And even though Ubisoft is working on new AC MP game i kinda doubt that they will manage to make something as interesting as MP in previous games, they will f-up somehow.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
It was incredibly novel and honestly fun as hell. I played a decent amount of it and still remember that one indoor/outdoor map perfectly.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Never played any MP beyond the first game that had it (Brotherhood?) but had a lot of fun because it wasn't just another shooter.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't care for it but I heard it's coming back in Infinity. At least rumored to return.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Me too. That original multiplayer from Brotherhood through Black Flag was awesome.

I didn't care for it but I heard it's coming back in Infinity. At least rumored to return.
Not rumored, it's confirmed. Project Invictus. We just don't know what kind of multiplayer it's going to be.

Prototype

Sep 2, 2023
giphy.gif

My favourite multiplayer! There were so many people though who didn't get it and ran around like headless chickens with 20 kills but still in last place.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Only ever played it intensely in Brotherhood and whooooo it was fun! Fell off with Revelations since it just felt more of the same so I didn't even bother trying with 3 or Black Flag, even though I played the ever loving crap out of Black Flag.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Brotherhood was something special.

They never recaptured that magic unfortunately. Revelations was still good but the characters and maps were a lot less memorable. After that, it wasn't the same at all. Black Flag in particular completely lost the slow and methodical pacing that made the multiplayer so unique in the first place. The ONLY issue with Brotherhood was the smoke bombs but that wasn't enough to keep it from being one of my favorite multiplayer games ever.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing multiplayer. I loved hiding in plain sight because I had the ability that would morph one person in a crowd to look like you so I would morph someone then hide in the bush next to the crowd lol. Fooled so many people

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
It was so fun, and such a new awesome idea at the time. To think that a series as big as that would also dedicate so much effort to an engaging multiplayer mode feels like a relic of the past. When you had multiple targets trying to stake you out, and the exhilaration of just being on the run trying outwit them - I miss it a lot!

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
AC and Splinter Cell MP were honestly great. The latter lost the plot a bit with Blacklist tho

Oct 30, 2017
They were so much fun… this and MGS Online I played the hell out of them on PS3.

I miss playing these multiplayer games, I haven't played anything on PS5 but FFXIV, Demon's Souls and Elden Ring that's it :\

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed Unity's co-op; very fun when playing with another competent player who you could coordinate attacks with. I actually preferred it as a two player co-op mode than with three or four players running around. It's too bad they had to cancel Syndicate's co-op campaign.

Oct 25, 2017
I loved brotherhood but the change in revelations onward were you have to build up silent instead of starting as silent in default made getting a good bonus of sprinters annoying

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
Funny enough made by the company that bought the rights to The Ship, one of the first of these types of games. I really applaud them for trying to find an audience for this type of games (but it will never happen).
Also the original team that made The Ship made a follow up game which was published by Ubisoft the same year that Assassin's Creed debuted their multiplayer. Didn't work out for them though which led to the sale of the IP.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I loved it so fucking much. I'm not of a huge fan of MP that isn't team based, but it was so refreshing and unique. I can still remember the maps, like the one with the giant courtyard. That was my favorite one.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
I'm thankful they don't waste resources on it anymore honestly. Played maybe 2-3 rounds in Brotherhood and had enough after that.

Mr. Virus

Oct 27, 2017
Also the original team that made The Ship made a follow up game which was published by Ubisoft the same year that Assassin's Creed debuted their multiplayer. Didn't work out for them though which led to the sale of the IP.

Some of the original team also worked on Murderous Pursuits as well, so there's very much a direct throughline there.

I also worked on it, so kinda neat to see someone else mention it here 😅. Good team, fun project!

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I fucked stuff UP in Brotherhood, miss it. Love that style of subversive gameplay, pretending to be NPC etc. relying on wits more than bustin-with-your-aim.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah me too. ACBrotherhood MP were some of the rare MP games that I really sunk my teeth into. So many great memories.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
It was great and totally unique, I loved playing it! Such good memories, it was definitely not for everyone as it was very slow paced game but it fitted AC so well, I'm still surprised Ubisoft made this, genuine good game design. 👌

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, Bloody Good Time. Not a fan of it, too arcadey at the time I thought.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
Some of the original team also worked on Murderous Pursuits as well, so there's very much a direct throughline there.

I also worked on it, so kinda neat to see someone else mention it here 😅. Good team, fun project!
Oh cool. Was glad to see Murderous Pursuits happen after the initial Ship sequel Kickstarter didn't work out.

JasperMyst

Sep 25, 2023
Man the days of brotherhood were a trip.

So sad that people can't experience that anymore.

Not sure why they abandoned such a novel concept in such a saturated and samey multiplayer market.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Loved it in Brotherhood. I felt they leaned too much into faster action in Revelations but I can't remember how/why just had that feel. But it totally was a unique experience that they should have kept iterating and adding to. They could have had by now a big multiplayer PvP game that's non-shooter like DBD is today using the AC brand.

Oct 28, 2017
Brotherhood's multiplayer was the shit. I think it got worse from that point on but it's a shame that they scrapped it completely.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
The multiplayer was fantastic and a shame ubi didn't build on it. I'm also surprised hitman never took the concept for it's own multiplayer.

May 15, 2019
I still don't understand why they just dropped it. It was the only actually interesting part of Assassin's Creed, and with it went any interest I have in the series.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
"The Prowler" was such a cool design and his story lowkey was super cool.
97e6e2b894b7fa7622f7c47d6cf00f81.jpg

Honestly all the characters had cool lore behind them and fantastic designs, personally I always chose "The Smuggler."
latest

giphy.gif

My favourite multiplayer! There were so many people though who didn't get it and ran around like headless chickens with 20 kills but still in last place.
The key was running around in between the kills and assuming the npc behavior as soon as you got a corner or so away from your target. Easy high point kills while constantly outrunning your pursuer who'd otherwise be confused.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Asscreed mp was a surprise hit for me.
Absolutely loved it in brotherhood and Black flag (?)

Then I got burnt out on the sp and didn't come back to asscreed until origins

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Have you heard of Assassins Creed INVICTUS?

There's some new info on the multiplayer Assassin's Creed Codename Invictus.
Job offer says it wil be innovative, also confirmed as a standalone game

It will be part of the Infinity Hub, alongside Codename RED and Codename HEX.

Source: https://www.geekinout.pt/artigos/assassins-creed-invictus-inovador-standalone

I don't trust Ubisoft to make it as good as they did original version.

fearmept

Apr 1, 2024
I don't trust Ubisoft to make it as good as they did original version.

The market is very tough right now for multiplayer games, even for established franchises like Assassin's Creed.

I don't know if it's going to work. They will probably fill it with the tipical stuff that eventually drives people way.

EraLurker24

Feb 9, 2022
They just don't make em like they used to. This, Chaos Theory, ME3 multiplayer, GTA4 free roam, etc.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
This and Splinter Cell MP could both use a release as standalone games. Hell, throw ME3 MP on the pile too. A lot of "tacked on" MP modes were pretty bad, but there were a few gems and a lot with potential.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember sitting completely still on a bench and my target actually came and sit right beside me and I waited a few seconds to kill him

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
Personally, I prefer they focus exclusively on single player AC games, but it sound like it's happening anyway.