• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished up Watch Dogs 1 and Aiden Pearce's (main character) appearance really struck me. I think he looks like a terrorist/mass shooter.

Watch Dogs is far from my first open world game but this is the first time that I have felt this about a playable character. I have been playing the Grand Theft Auto series since PS2 for reference.

I wondered if it was because of the graphics but I never felt this way playing Grand Theft Auto V, which is admittedly more stylised.

The issue, I believe, is mainly with the character design. From GTA V, Michael looks like a mob boss and Trevor looks like a homeless redneck. Each of them wear casual clothing. They have very distinct looks and don't look mysterious at all, even though they are hardened criminals.
gta+v+gif+triple+facepalm

Aiden, however, is an incredibly average and undistinctive Caucasian male. He wears a trench coat and baseball cap. When he takes out his gun, he pulls a mask up to obscure his face. He's meant to look like a vigilante but he actually looks scarier than the psychotic main characters from GTA V.
VqmFA3zFIw9ZS.gif

He looks, to me, less like a vigilante and more like a mysterious mass shooter. You cannot see it in the GIF but he's hiding a handgun behind his back. He actually moves like that in regular gameplay. With that, just playing the game normally, I got strong terrorist vibes.

But never was that feeling more apparent than when I went on my first rampage with a high powered assault rifle.

Now you might be thinking "of course going on a rampage will make the character you are playing as seem like a psycho". But unlike other characters, Aiden Pearce actually looks like the real deal. The act of rampaging was just the missing puzzle piece and once I completed that puzzle, I could never look at him the same way again. It fit him far too well.

On top of that, you can actually hear and see NPCs making phone calls to the police while fleeing Aiden. These phone calls sound eerily similar to the phone calls we hear on the news about mass shootings every month.

It sort of unnerved me and took the fun out of rampaging because I could not stop thinking about it. It even affected my regular gameplay. The surveillance photos from the Toronto shooter this week did not help.

What do you all think? Am I the only one who feels this way?

Last edited:

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
id agree solely on the basis that Aiden is quite possibly one of worst main characters of all time, and a huge hypocrite, so yeah, he does fit that description.

Azure Wanderer

Alt-Account
Jun 27, 2018
He's the worst protagonist ever grace a game and probably the epitome of the early 2010's white middle aged gritty angry hip badass we're still RUNNING AWAY from.

Irredeemable, but a super effective wake up call. Everything that has come from Ubisoft after him has been way better.
On top of that, you can actually hear and see NPCs making phone calls to the police while fleeing Aiden. These phone calls sound eerily similar to the phone calls we hear on the news about mass shootings every month.

It sort of unnerved me and took the fun out of rampaging because I could not stop thinking about it. It even affected my regular gameplay. The surveillance photos from the Toronto shooter this week did not help.
I've never actually thought this but yeah yo're right on the money. Man that character sucks so hard it feels bad to play as him.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Aiden Pearce is a garbage human being whose careless hypocrisy only endangers the people he cares about

It's as if Ubisoft took the Hobo Sam archetype from early versions of Splinter Cell Conviction and just kept going downhill from there.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
That made the game more fun and schlocky. Like the part where he goes to his nephew's party in a trench coat. Or just Aiden mindless mowing anyone over just to catch one dude.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Yes he does. He looks like someone I wouldn't trust, like a shady person you would notice in public. I assume the shady aesthetic is on purpose so job well done.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
It sort of unnerved me and took the fun out of rampaging because I could not stop thinking about it. It even affected my regular gameplay.
I'd chalk that up as a victory for the game, to be honest. GTA always seems pretty tongue in cheek, but I never got the impression that watch dogs was going for that vibe, so it kind of feels right that you'd feel dirty and disturbed for rampaging.

Azure Wanderer

Alt-Account
Jun 27, 2018
I'd chalk that up as a victory for the game, to be honest. GTA always seems pretty tongue in cheek, but I never got the impression that watch dogs was going for that vibe, so it kind of feels right that you'd feel dirty and disturbed for rampaging.
Case in point, how people have said multiple times that if felt just wrong to play Watch Dogs 2 using guns. That said, that game /was/ trying to be the anti-WD1.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, he basically is a domestic terrorist, but I'm not really sure the look you're describing is actually a thing that exists.
Aiden, however, is an incredibly average and undistinctive Caucasian male. He wears a trench coat and baseball cap. When he takes out his gun, he pulls a mask up to obscure his face. He's meant to look like a vigilante but he actually looks scarier than the psychotic main characters from GTA V.
Like... How is average and indistinct a 'type?' I'd understand if you meant a sort of Columbine-look, since that's an established thing in popular culture, but yeah.

OP
OP
Shoot

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, he basically is a domestic terrorist, but I'm not really sure the look you're describing is actually a thing that exists.
This is the picture that I was talking about. It is of the shooter in Toronto.
_1horz.jpg

He is not wearing a trench coat but he reminds me of Aiden.

sschol

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry? I mean... I guess. Never would have occurred to me. I bet a number of these open world protagonists won't age well now that I think about it. Far Cry games, Just Cause, a lot of these characters and their settings will probably be viewed with more scrutiny as we move further away from a time where their good intentions and the results of those intention are taken at face value.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
If you looked like Aiden and innocently forgot your bag on the bus, the bomb squad would get called in no question.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I understand what you're saying about his character design, but saying that it made going on a virtual killing spree feel wrong I find to be a very weird criticism. We've all done it in these open-world games at some point, but usually it does make you feel icky, or at least it should, regardless of the characters design.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
He's a fucking awful shit lead character.

But even in the sequel, when they try to correct the tone into something more light-hearted and fun, your fun-time hacker buddies all pulling out SMGs isn't any less jarring and off-putting.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's a literal terrorist. He's a bad, bad man and he refuses to change or take responsibility for his actions. His actions repeatedly result in people who put their faith in him being hurt or killed. Plus his idea of justice is just plain murdering the shit out of people he doesn't like. I kind of miss when Ubisoft weren't determined to make "likeable" lead characters because now everything is smarmy and eye rolling. Let us play as irredeemable selfish scoundrels who actively make the world a worse place just by breathing.
This is the picture that I was talking about. It is of the shooter in Toronto.
_1horz.jpg

He is not wearing a trench coat but he reminds me of Aiden.
ac-origins-lore-olivilmdzo.jpg

Azure Wanderer

Alt-Account
Jun 27, 2018
But even in the sequel, when they try to correct the tone into something more light-hearted and fun, your fun-time hacker buddies all pulling out SMGs isn't any less jarring and off-putting.
I'd say it's even worse. Thankfully the game was designed to be played non lethally. Guns are the "I fucked up" option.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say it's even worse. Thankfully the game was designed to be played non lethally. Guns are the "I fucked up" option.

Yeah man it's so fucking weird to me the vibe of that first tutorial where it's like "Let's see if he's as good as they say he is!" and the vibe is super peace hippy rebel and... the tutorial is like "Here pick up this gun. Here's how you aim. We're not gonna say you gotta kill someone but hey... I mean... here's this gun."

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that like, the whole point of Aiden? TBH I kind of disagree with people assessing him as being badly written or designed, his appearance is unique and memorable (I don't mean the white guy with brown hair bit, I mean that he has a really strong silhouette despite a simple design consisting mainly of his signature hat/mask/trenchcoat) and the whole point of his character arc was that he was an incredibly dangerous person who couldn't be around people. I don't think you were meant to like him in the sense that you'd want to hang out with him or anything (similar to characters like Kratos), but that you'd get to see how fucked up he is through the story. While it's clearly something people recoil from because of course it is, I think he's well executed in the sense that the developer intent is really shining through. They made a main character into someone players felt uncomfortable with, and I think that's a real success artistically.

tl;dr: If you don't like him or he makes you feel upset because of his actions it doesn't mean he's a bad character, he's just a (very) bad person. In my opinion, anyways.

Oct 25, 2017

the problem was that there really wasn't any difference. 'nonlethal' moves still basically incapacitated enemies indefinitely unless a friend helps out, which you just take out.

Probably the most terrifying thing about w_d 2 was that you could basically 'dox' the enemy by calling the cops or other gangs on a guy.

I think i did one of the harder late game areas by just keep calling cops, wait for cooldown, repeat.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I kind of liked it in a way? Like, it definitely looks like the outfit of a guy in his early thirties who's trying to be an edgy "vigilante" (read: hypocritical murderer) "hacker" (read: killing people, but now with technology). I never got a mass murder vibe though, probably because I played the game almost exclusively stealthily/silenced pistol only. I honestly wish they leaned farther into it, because the game still felt like it was trying to paint him a good light despite him clearly being unstable and unsafe.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's a literal terrorist. He's a bad, bad man and he refuses to change or take responsibility for his actions. His actions repeatedly result in people who put their faith in him being hurt or killed. Plus his idea of justice is just plain murdering the shit out of people he doesn't like. I kind of miss when Ubisoft weren't determined to make "likeable" lead characters because now everything is smarmy and eye rolling. Let us play as irredeemable selfish scoundrels who actively make the world a worse place just by breathing.

ac-origins-lore-olivilmdzo.jpg

Well, people complined about him and in the feedback that changed

Phonomezer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand the "worst protagonist ever" brigade.

He was fine, and at the very least, memorable if the state of this thread is anything to go by.

Nowise10

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's a fucking awful shit lead character.

They added in paintball versions of every gun to correct this, but yeah is totally out of place having guns in the game

Azure Wanderer

Alt-Account
Jun 27, 2018
the problem was that there really wasn't any difference. 'nonlethal' moves still basically incapacitated enemies indefinitely unless a friend helps out, which you just take out.

Probably the most terrifying thing about w_d 2 was that you could basically 'dox' the enemy by calling the cops or other gangs on a guy.

I think i did one of the harder late game areas by just keep calling cops, wait for cooldown, repeat.
For sure. I can't say ludonarrstive dissonance wasn't a thing in 2, but 2 is intrinsically a less serious game, like one of those old Hollywood hacker movies.

1 feels more.. real, somehow.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that like, the whole point of Aiden? TBH I kind of disagree with people assessing him as being badly written or designed, his appearance is unique and memorable (I don't mean the white guy with brown hair bit, I mean that he has a really strong silhouette despite a simple design consisting mainly of his signature hat/mask/trenchcoat) and the whole point of his character arc was that he was an incredibly dangerous person who couldn't be around people. I don't think you were meant to like him in the sense that you'd want to hang out with him or anything (similar to characters like Kratos), but that you'd get to see how fucked up he is through the story. While it's clearly something people recoil from because of course it is, I think he's well executed in the sense that the developer intent is really shining through. They made a main character into someone players felt uncomfortable with, and I think that's a real success artistically.

tl;dr: If you don't like him or he makes you feel upset because of his actions it doesn't mean he's a bad character, he's just a (very) bad person. In my opinion, anyways.

Pretty much this. His design and personality basically embody the type of sociopathic person that would go out and actually do the types of things we do in these games during gameplay.

The result is making it feel more grounded but also more dark and repulsive as well.