ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
So I turn on my tv last night to watch F1 and play Halo and well it now has a heavy pink tint after only 2 weeks, Richersounds have said I can send it back for a refund so that's what I'll do but I still need a tv, what's a good led tv that's decent for hdr and gaming?

2377DB49-A966-40FF-AEDB-B14C06238C12.jpg

1013B0F9-0C81-4107-86B4-E2272E78B9C4.jpg

Oct 30, 2017
That's...abnormal. Just a faulty set.
Is it LG? Just return it for an exchange? Or, LG will 100% replace the panel if you contact them. Choose one of those. I'd just exchange it to Richer Sounds.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I think the Samsung Neo QLED's with mini LED backlight are supposed to be the best non-oleds.

Be careful with them though, even in the same model range the smaller the size the more likely it misses features advertised for the range (EG VRR, 120HZ, X number of local dimming areas).

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I think the Samsung Neo QLED's with mini LED backlight are supposed to be the best non-oleds.

Be careful with them though, even in the same model range the smaller the size the more likely it misses features advertised for the range (EG VRR, 120HZ, X number of local dimming areas).
Samsung TV's are pure garbage though. Every single model I have ever used has handshake issues with hdmi ports. Every single one.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London

Also, if OP is in the UK, watch out for IPS panels on most of the range. Personally I hate them and always go for VA.

treasureyez

Nov 23, 2017
I never understand people who give up on a product or even an entire product category after a single defect. I would just get another OLED set.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah that's pretty bad. I think you should consider exchanging before buying another set completely. Lcd TV's have their own uniformity issues. It's called the dirty screen affect. It impacts even expensive lcd TV's.

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
That is a silly reason to give up on a superior technology, oled. You just got a faulty set. OLED is generally very dependable, just get a replacement for the same tv imo.

OP
OP
ussjtrunks

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
It's a 55" tv I'm after this is my 3rd oled with various issues so I think I just have bad luck tbh, I want something with good grey and white uniformity I can give up the black level at this stage

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
That sets defective. The Samsung Q stuff ain't bad, but get that set swapped out. OLED gonna blow everything out of the water. Trust

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
Magenta/pink tint is a common issue on the LG OLEDs starting with the C8 I believe. OP isn't experiencing an isolated incident. Had the same issue on a 65 C9 that I ended up returning because of it. There's tons of posts about this on forums like AVS Forums.

I noticed it mostly when there was a lot of white on the screen such as the Wipeout menu and snow scenes. My set also had yellow and cyan tinting issues. It was very apparent in scenes with a lot of earth tones. It would make green look a bit brown. Initially noticed it when I was playing Everybody's Golf. Looked like all the grass on the green was a bit dead.

Been hesitant to jump back into an OLED because it's definitely a common issue. It seems to plague the 65" sets the most with the 55" and 77" having better luck. It likely had the tint issue from day one too.

Last edited:

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
Samsung TV's are pure garbage though. Every single model I have ever used has handshake issues with hdmi ports. Every single one.
Wow, me too. I was hoping Samsung would patch/fix the handshaking issue, but I guess not.

I'm so tired of the TV blinking to black randomly, once it starts having a fit.

Oct 28, 2017
I've been using an OLED for a few years now, no issues. It's easily the best looking TV out there and it's the best TV I've personally ever had; I'd swap for another OLED.

OP
OP
ussjtrunks

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
Do I really want to go for a 4th oled honestly I think I've given them a fair shake, if I do I'll prob go for a Sony instead and hope the quality is better

1st tv : red line of pixels after 3 months
2nd tv : awful grey uniformity and green sides
3rd tv : red tint

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sony's LED TVs have some of the best color accuracy right out of the box, good HDR and excellent input lag.

I'm pretty happy with my 900h despite its issues with VRR and 120hz. I understand the newer x90j is even better.

Oct 28, 2017
I have such a tint, too, it's green though and it shows the most when having some yellow/light brown image.

When looking at the AVS forums, I'm not the only one.

It started to show after the warranty period was over, of course, and it's getting worse over time.

It almost looks like the circuit board burns itself into the display from the back.

Soured me a bit on the whole OLED thing.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Sony X90J.

I have the prior year model, the X900H, and the picture quality is great. Especially the black levels for an LED as the full array local dimming is really good. The HDMI 2.1 features are borked on the 900H (half vertical resolution in 4K120fps), but the X90J added a co-processor and doesn't have those issues from what I've seen on AVS Forums and other places.

I've avoided OLEDs as they're just more than I'm willing to pay for a TV as someone that's not a videophile and just buys mid range stuff price wise and I'd worry too much about image retention since my TV really only gets used for gaming and sports/ESPN for hours on end. Even with IR being temporary it would drive me nuts when I noticed it which would probably be often since I don't mix content and have so many static images on for hours.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
It's a 55" tv I'm after this is my 3rd oled with various issues so I think I just have bad luck tbh, I want something with good grey and white uniformity I can give up the black level at this stage
If you want good grey uniformity then LED will make you upset. Even the current flagships have dirty screens with vignetting. Then the off axis gamma and color shifts (unless you sit at a far distance I guess). Every TV has its trade offs but I wish you luck in finding the best one for you.

If I had 3 bad OLED in a row I would probably be turned off too. Lucky for me I've only had 2 good ones, a B8 for 3 years and CX for the last year, both still in use (Sold b8 recently to friend, they say it's still all good).

Last edited:

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do I really want to go for a 4th oled honestly I think I've given them a fair shake, if I do I'll prob go for a Sony instead and hope the quality is better

Just a question because many people miss that in the manual. Do you turn off your TV completely? like no standby? Many people fuck their OLEDs up through that. OLEDs clean themselves after turning them off.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
OLED has such good picture quality, it's a real shame about it's numerous foibles and fragilities that stop me from being able to consider it again. Ran all the screen refresh stuff, tried to ensure I wasn't leaving anything static onscreen too long...yet still ended up with burn in because of the static elements of my internet browser. Most of the time I'm on the internet, I'm watching fullscreen video, so I thought that was enough to mitigate the chance of damage. Nope. Any element that was yellow - the little folders on my bookmark bar, the edges of my avatar on Youtube etc - burned in as green smears after 10 months. I was gutted, and this came after years of trying to find a TV without some sort of issue. A Samsung TV had bad dirty screen effect, an LG had banding issues, a Samsung 3D TV had issues where the active glasses would lose sync while watching etc. So having something happen again on a TV that was otherwise a great performer (other than some weird issues on a couple of 4K blu rays that saw weird artifacts appear in some scenes of movies like The Matrix and The Fog) was a huge bummer.
I've got a Panasonic LCD that's fine enough for now, but I really want them to crack these burn in possibilities with OLED, or for Micro LED to be close to OLED without the drawbacks.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017

Do you watch stuff with subtitles? If so i wouldn't go with anything but an OLED.

Even the Samsung QN90/95A have a glow around subtitles. Very distracting imo when the scene is dark.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OLED is not perfect but I can never go back to an LCD. The issues inherent to that technology are far worse. It is especially bad in regards to VA LCD panels, which what most high end LCD tv's are.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany

What brand did you buy? If it's an LG, you could let them exchange the panel.

Uniformity issues aren't only an OLED issue though, they can and will happen on any TV. Same with the tints.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Is that a 55CX? Pink tint on a 55" OLED is really unusual, so I'd go for a replacement. It's the 65" that have the most uniformity issues.

Travless

Mar 7, 2018

Can confirm. Mini-LED is dope.

OP
OP
ussjtrunks

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
That you seen in real life use or by testing it with grey scale video ?
Yeah scenes in movies had 5 bright dots it was truly awful

I'm in Europe so I don't know what models are here, my led preference is probably Sony if I go that route. I almost certainly aren't going to buy an LG tv again.
rn Itd prob be between a x90j and a a80j

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
For a LCD I would go with Sony. I just really like the way they make their TVs. They're usually very high quality everywhere it matters (HDR, color accuracy, motion reproduction, upscaling, etc.)

It's just a shame they stopped doing LCD TVs at the level of the Z9D or even the 930E. These two TVs are legendary, and even still surpass newer models on a number of fronts.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
I've had my OLED panel replaced 3 times. Once for horrible screen uniformity, another time for excessive dead pixels, and again for the infamous green/yellow blob. LG did it for free each time, which is fantastic - but I still won't be buying an OLED again.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I have, and can recommend, the Samsung QN90/95A. I have the 94A and it's fantastic.

Was going to recommend this as well. I've been looking for a new TV and don't want have to worry about retention and saw Rtings seems to like the QN series. Though I saw on Reddit the QN84A is one of those holiday models that are made on the cheap and can suck. so maybe avoid that one.

I'm trying to get the QN85A but Best buy has not had it for tthe couple of weeks I've been watching for it.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah scenes in movies had 5 bright dots it was truly awful

I'm in Europe so I don't know what models are here, my led preference is probably Sony if I go that route. I almost certainly aren't going to buy an LG tv again.
rn Itd prob be between a x90j and a a80j

There are Philips in Europe. I don't know how they are regarded in general, but I have a LED one and it's a competent mid range tv with a cheaper price and backlight leds included which can change color according to the scene. They make LEDs and OLEDs.

My LED definitely has uniformity issues though, but as far as I understand that will be pretty fucking common with LED unless you get really lucky or don't look for / notice it. Great picture quality otherwise, good features (mine is older though, no HDMI 2.1), Android TV, integrated soundbar, both HDR10+ and DV, DAtmos too. If you look at a higher end Philips LCD though, be sure to check the panel types as they vary from size to size inside a given model.

Ultimately, I'd replace your OLED as it will probably be a much better option in the long run, and is on a different level. Either that or a higher end QLED by Samsung maybe.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What's the difference between the x90j and x95j?

From rtings.com

The Sony X95J is slightly better than the Sony X90J. The X95J has much better reflection handling, better viewing angles, and a better local dimming feature. The X95J is also much brighter, and small highlights stand out better in HDR. The X90J, on the other hand, has better native contrast and better black uniformity, with less cloudiness in dark scenes.
The long and short of it is x95j has higher peak HDR rightness but worse contrast because of a screen filter it uses to improve viewing angles.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Sony high tier LEDs are excellent. Samsung probably the best if you go for the Q90 tier but they are damn expensive.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

I think the tint you notice is typical of the EVO panels that find themselves into some of the current OLED product lines.

Of course LCD TVs have their own set of issues, so good luck. No TV is perfect.