• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
I recently got Sproggiwood on iOS and I'm enjoying it a lot. I also enjoyed Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon on Wii. I think I enjoy them being simpler, and I think I enjoy them on mobile platforms. I tried playing Dungeons of Dredmore for example years ago and it seemed kind of complicated, and not something I'd want to play when I had access to other games.

So what are some of the best "mystery dungeon" games on Switch or iOS that I've missed? What are your favorites? Am I even right in calling them Mystery Dungeon games?

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
POKEM-
"on switch or iOS"
you're really limiting your choices here, I don't even know if there are more than just the two you listed

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Well there's no Mystery Dungeons other than Chocobo on the Switch. And mobile doesn't have any official ones? I wouldn't even know where to begin on ones that are alike.

The best ones are the Pokémon non-Gate ones. DS/3DS though.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
You should check out Tangledeep on Switch. My personal favorite. Has a mix-and-match job system reminiscent of Final Fantasy Tactics, a monster catching / pet customization system, and just generally beautiful 2D spritework and music.

I put at least 50 hours into it, and could put 50 more with ease. Super replayable game with infinite customization and potential builds.

OP
OP
Exit Music

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
Lol, ok, fair point. Let's open it up to 3DS also if that helps, I think I can find mine somewhere!

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
"Roguelikes" are the mystery dungeons of the west, I believe Shiren the Wanderer is the best known original eastern style roguelike/mystery dungeon.

I actually haven't played any of the pokemon mystery dungeon series, but I loooove Dungeons of Dredmor, and I really enjoyed Shiren the Wanderer on DS. I don't think there's a whole lot of them on Switch yet, but I expect to see more eventually. Search them Roguelike tags I guess.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
What do you like about mystery dungeon games? Crypt of the Necrodancer (and its Zelda-themed counterpart Cadence of Hyrule) have a lot of similarities and are both very well done. Both are on Switch too.

OP
OP
Exit Music

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
What do you like about mystery dungeon games? Crypt of the Necrodancer (and its Zelda-themed counterpart Cadence of Hyrule) have a lot of similarities and are both very well done. Both are on Switch too.

That's a good point. I tried it on PC, but I think I'd like the Zelda theme more and also being mobile.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Lol, ok, fair point. Let's open it up to 3DS also if that helps, I think I can find mine somewhere!

Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon is my all time favorite video game in history, and Lufia the Legend Returns is on the eShop and is a VERY well made MD clone that's super duper amazing and cheap. Get both

XSystem

Apr 1, 2019
If my avatar is any indication, I too will vouch for the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games any day. On 3DS, Super Mystery Dungeon is an excellent entry point, and certainly the most polished and accessible of the PMD games.
Explorers of Sky for the DS remains my all-time favourite, however, thanks to its charmingly written characters, twisty plot and a great soundtrack.

I haven't heard much good about Gates to Infinity, but since I haven't played it myself, I can't really comment on it.