• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how Rise of the Ronin is doing sales-wise. I'm sure it's doing well enough, but considering the way Sony tried to position it as a tentpole exclusive, you kind of get the feeling Dragon's Dogma 2 sucked up a lot of the air in the room. Which is a shame, because the game is fantastic.

Where DD2 is a very atypical open world game with a lot of esoteric design choices (that either really work for you or really don't), Ronin is a very comfortable experience. It's very much a game with icons on the map, completion metrics for each area, color coded loot, random events and enemy outposts to clear out, etc. All that stuff. Depending on your tastes, or how cynical you tend to see those games, this is a good thing or a bad thing. Me, I know how I play games and what I enjoy, and this game is supremely my shit.

Overall, Ronin just feels tuned to prioritize having fun. The gameplay loop is addictive, you always feel like you're close to an activity that has some sort of gameplay or narrative reward. The combat in Ronin is excellent. It's challenging but totally doable once you grasp the parrying mechanic (which you need to grasp at some point), with a ton of depth in the systems and various weapons, stances, moves, etc. Stealth is pretty workmanlike but it's satisfying as hell, and offers a fun alternative way to clear out areas. Traversal is fast and fun, stamina doesn't run out when you're out of combat. The game has both a grappling hook and a glider, and while both feel a little bit janky they're also just a ton of fun.

I feel like Ronin is very much a "people pleaser" game. It's taking a pretty well-worn design and executing on it very well, with better combat than most other games in this genre see. Seeing on Era more and more people discover it, some on their own volition, some hearing word of mouth, and some bouncing off of Dragon's Dogma after realizing that game isn't for them, has been great. I get similar vibes from this that I did with Days Gone, where the game didn't review incredibly well, but over the years more and more people picked it up and found themselves saying "wait, I think this game is fantastic?". I hope Rise of the Ronin has a similar tail, because it offers up an experience that's proven to be beloved, and it's a very good traditional open world game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, "cozy" is one of the best words I've used to describe it. It's a game with minimal amounts of intended friction built into the experience - everything is quick and brisk and doesn't want to waste your time or drag things out to give the illusion of "long game".

I hope more people try it.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
i'd totally buy it and enjoy it but i'm waiting to see if it'll drop on pc

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
It seems fun, but I can wait for it to come to PC.

I think then it'll get more of an audience as well.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Nov 19, 2019
That Days Gone comparison is pretty powerful. I'm still deciding between a stack of games (Rebirth, DD2, this, or maybe even Saga) but Ronin keeps rising up the list.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It looks really good but I'm so over feudal Japan as a setting.

It's not feudal Japan. It's late 1800s Japan. The Bakumatsu period is one of the most interesting periods in Japanese history because it's not the standard Sengoku era that we've seen used hundreds of times before.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I have a friend who was very impressed how polished the game is, specially on release

Rare find these days =P

HemoGoblin

Nov 3, 2017
Considering ghost of Tsushima did so well, I'm kind of surprised this game seemingly is underperforming. But that's purely anecdotal on my part, and I mainly pay attention to hardcore representation. Maybe it is doing well

Idk how comparable the games are. I barely played GoT

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ah gotcha. As an uneducated westerner it's still what it looks like at a glance though so it made me lose interest a bit.

Yeah, basically, the time period is this weird transitional era in history where you have Americans and British people, and western-style fashion and architecture, mixed with traditional Japanese clothing, weaponry and buildings. It's actually really cool, and not what you'd expect from your usual "samurai game".

Nov 9, 2017
It's a fucking great game. End of story.

And yah this might be controversial but it's leagues better than DD2 and I'm saying this as someone who got the plat for DD2 and DD:DA twice.

The historical stuff is so on point (based on what I've read about that period) too that just adds to it.

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
It's such a fun game! I think Team Ninja made some really good design decisions that keep the game fun, for me at least.

1. Exploring and completing open world tasks can actually reward you with meaningful combat upgrades and gear. The random nature of loot drops can also be addictive.

2. The fact you can transmog and change your appearance from the very beginning and the variety of clothing and appearance options is really fun. I am always checking out how new clothing unlocks look on my character.

3. Weapon variety and the different stances for each weapon. I only wish every weapon had at least 3-4 stances.

Overall it's just a fun game to relax and play. Even though I'm close to finishing it now, I can definitely see myself doing a full replay in the future, especially if we get a PC version. By comparison I don't see myself playing the PC release of GoT (which I also loved) because I know I've seen everything it has to offer.

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
I have been enjoying it a lot, but other than the combat it does very much feel like a studios first attempt at an open world game. Most of it is fun, but most aspects of it have pretty rough elements that stops it from reaching greatness for me.

I did enjoy Ghost of Tsushima a lot more though. That game was just the full package with a great story, polished open world elements etc. Playing Rise has made me really hungry for GoT 2 and I might have to go back and replay GoT 1.

theCioro

Jun 16, 2023
RO
I think people rushed to review this one so they can spend time playing DD2. Its a good game and def. would recommend.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Not that MC user scores mean much (typically), but I always give a game a closer look when user scores are higher than the critic scores, since they tend to be the opposite way most of the time. This one's are significant without being unrealistic (8.6 user vs. 7.6 critic). It's on my radar, but timing is bad due to many other games I have prioritized over it. Appreciate the positive words about it in any case!

ket

Jul 27, 2018
The gaming community needs to stop being put off by 70 something MC games but also maybe review scores are bad and should be binned

Prinny

Oct 25, 2017
Combat was great, everything else was mediocre.
Still a much better game than Dogma 2 at least.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Also DD2 might turn out to be the most mid game Ive played this year.

OP
OP
CloseTalker

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I have been enjoying it a lot, but other than the combat it does very much feel like a studios first attempt at an open world game. Most of it is fun, but most aspects of it have pretty rough elements that stops it from reaching greatness for me.

I did enjoy Ghost of Tsushima a lot more though. That game was just the full package with a great story, polished open world elements etc. Playing Rise has made me really hungry for GoT 2 and I might have to go back and replay GoT 1.
It's funny, I almost feel the opposite. I completed and enjoyed Tsushima, but I got a similar feeling that it felt like a studio's first crack at open world (even though in their case it wasn't). Just depends on taste, but I think both games feel like solid foundations that a sequel could really build on.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Ronin is a game with

Persona social links
Overworld bosses you kill to steal their moves
A MGSV horse that you can drop out of the sky onto
Weird wrpg or Way of the Samurai style decisions
An AssCreed 2 Da Vinci who makes you fun gadgets, including a batman glider you can air assassinate from
The grapple hook is mad fun
Factions you curry favor with
A crazy attention to historical detail that suffuses so much of the side content
A combat system that somehow makes fighting dudes with swords for hours fun

It really does feel like a lot of reviewers just looked at it as "Tsushima but not as pretty" and wrote it off to go play DD2 or sth. It's a bizarre mix of elements and honestly overall feels like that AC2 sequel set in Japan that everyone was begging for for decades, now with big cities and good combat but now its here and apparently the game looks like a PS3 title or sth. Its a game where you get more out of it the more you put in. Spending time collecting new styles, reading the encyclopedia and chatting with historical figures, playing dress up, doing gestures to NPCs in the street, all adds a certain weird-factor to the experience that you'll miss if you just beeline the main story.

Fwiw it's one of those metacritic games where the critic score is substantially lower than the user score. If they can do a later PC port (at $60, with cd key discounts) that releases in good shape with DLSS3/FSR3.1, maybe with some post launch QoL if not actual content, it'll do well.

Last edited:

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
I remember there being concerns about certain historical characters and their views (I guess Japanese nationalism?) before release, I guess that was a non-issue? Anyway, the positive impressions have increased my interest, but I dislike souls-like (-lite) games so I won't buy it unless it's below $30, which will be a couple of years or never because Koei Tecmo rarely does sales higher than 50% off for their games. I may have to find a cheap physical copy somewhere.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I remember I was sold on the game from the first trailer and this GIF with the cool Batman-like kills, is it still accurate? People were saying there was a downgrade?
uBXsH1W.gif

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
I remember I was sold on the game from the first trailer and this GIF with the cool Batman-like kills, is it still accurate? People were saying there was a downgrade?
uBXsH1W.gif

You can still do the things in this gif and more I'm pretty sure.

The visuals maybe look a little worse than the first reveal trailer idk. It's a somewhat inconsistent looking game, can look great at times, a bit dated at others.

I remember there being concerns about certain historical characters and their views (I guess Japanese nationalism?) before release, I guess that was a non-issue? Anyway, the positive impressions have increased my interest, but I dislike souls-like (-lite) games so I won't buy it unless it's below $30, which will be a couple of years or never because Koei Tecmo rarely does sales higher than 50% off for their games. I may have to find a cheap physical copy somewhere.

Fwiw the game is barely a soulslike. It takes fewer souls elements than even their most recent games. It has difficulty settings and checkpoints with healing items that replenish on death, and than a currency that gives you a stat point if you get enough of it without dying (and if you die you can get it back by killing the enemy that killed you) but that's about it. Said currency isn't the only way to get those stat points, and you don't have to hoard it either as it cashes out whenever you rest at a checkpoint.

But most of the game is closer to an open world action adventure with skill trees and shit than anything I'd say is made to appeal to souls fans.

Last edited:

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Ill def cop on PC. Love Team Ninja/Nioh. Very heartened to hear about worthwhile upgrages to find in the open world.

Kensuke

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I thought it was mostly mediocre unfortunately. As a big fan of previous Team Ninja output, I found Ronin a big step back. The big world comes at the expense of deeper combat, decent level design and enemy variety. Story and characters have never been this studio's strong point, so it's no surprise Ronin can't really impress there either. There is no spark or something unique to this game that wasn't available in other Team Ninja or open world games, which makes the whole experience feel by the numbers. Because of that, I actually think time will be unkind to it. The Days Gone comparison is apt I think, in that this game will certainly have its fans, but it's a deadend game that will probably not get a sequel.

ElCidTmax

Oct 28, 2017
Rise of the Ronin seems like the ideal kind of game to go to PS Plus - first on the enhanced subscription, later on the monthly

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think time will be good to it at all, not because it's dated or even a bad game but rise of the ronin is just one of those games people will completely forget and there will be minimal discourse around it. The game will leave no mark at all.

Nov 7, 2022
People comparing this to Ghost of Tsushima has me turning my head now. I'm eyeing the next sale.

It's funny, I almost feel the opposite. I completed and enjoyed Tsushima, but I got a similar feeling that it felt like a studio's first crack at open world (even though in their case it wasn't). Just depends on taste, but I think both games feel like solid foundations that a sequel could really build on.

That's crazy to me; GoT has one of my favorite open worlds. All it needed was a glider.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
The name of the game turns me off so much.

But I'll definitely eventually want to try it.

AEF1907

Fallen Guardian
Dec 18, 2021
Game is mad fun. I just know whenever I open it that I will have a great time. Only issue I have is that I can't stop using the Odachi lmao.

sanityislost

Oct 21, 2021
I think I may of over looked this, may be worth getting on payday.

What game would you say is similar to this?

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I probably would have got it if it were on PC and I could get the game cheaper, because I'm a cheapskate.

There was that short period of time when Dragon's Dogma 2, Alone in the Dark, Horizon Forbidden West and Rise of the Ronin all released. I ended up getting none of them, for various reasons.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I've been enjoying the hell out of it, its my GOTY for the year so far. I'm a sucker for action games with loot, though.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoyed Nioh 2 coop with a friend so looking forward to this

We're both hoping it comes to PC eventually.