• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
They was coy about the co-op prior to release, Whereas both Nioh's had beta's/Demo's, Even Wo Long did, We was surprised Ronin didn't. And now we know why, The open world isn't co-op, Only smaller mission segments based upon it are.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully not too big of a Days Gone vibe....I did not like that game much at all, but I WAS looking forward to playing Rise of Ronin at some point.....šŸ«¤

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to hear it resonated with more people. I was going to put it off until later anyway because DD2 was a day 1 for me and I can wait for a PC version, but was bummed to see most of the reviews so down on it.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
Been looking forward to picking this up when I'm done with Dragon's Dogma 2 (just finishing a NG+ to platinum itā€¦). I only ever played the demos for Nioh and Nioh 2 and Wo Long, so I was initially not that interested. But all the impressions have been selling me on it and I'm currently making my way through the Wano arc in One Piece so I'm down for some feudal Japan right about now lol

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
The performance is the one thing severely holding it back.

The dynamic res scaler they use is too slow to adjust due to the setup they've got, and the PS5's VRR window being limited to 48-60FPSz unless Devs specifically implement a 120Hz mode, makes it worse.

Basically the above causes framerate to sharply drop to 46-47FPS region for a split second before recovering to 55-60FPS in a second, but by that time it's too late and you notice a sharp judder due to dropping out of VRR window.

They should've done a 120Hz output to extend the VRR window, and also made their dynamic res scaler more aggressive so that it kicks in a lot earlier rather than when it hits 46-47FPS.

Irnbru

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I'd see the hardcore crowd into it, but anecdotally from my friend this is a Ubisoft/Horizon gamer, she haaaaated it. Which is probs what's happen w/ the mainstream crowd

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
I'm looking forward to this when I get around to it.

Ghostwire Tokyo was another sandbox AA game with a lot of jank that got shredded on release and bombed. I finally played it last month for the first time and I loved it so, so much. In fact, a month later while playing great games like Rebirth I'm still thinking back on Ghostwire Tokyo and wishing I could play more of it (but I pretty much 100%'d it so nothing left to do).

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
I think so too. I think people are gonna have a lot of fun with that game when they dont have to pay full price for it.

theCioro

Jun 16, 2023
RO
Decent would probably what I describe a game with a frame rate that dips within the PS5's VRR range or may below it but not often. This game constantly dips and it's noticeable. It also goes into a really stuttery 30 FPS for all conversations and cutscenes. Did this stop me from putting 50 hoursd into the game? No, but idk how else to describe the performance other than terrible. Performance tolerance is of course subjective. There are some people that don't notice constant dips in some Switch games that make me scratch my head. So yeah, milage may vary.

I don't know what to say. I played it on a c2 and the dips felt like in vrr range to me (looked at TV monitoring but that's not that reliable). The only place where it dipped below vrr was when everything was on fire but even that was tolerable since it happened in a mission or two. What i found weird was the micro stutters when exploring but those improved with patches. Cinematics or cutscenes at 30 is not new for a game.
I would definitely not call performance mode terrible though. Cyberpunk 2077 was what I would call terrible for example. It feels like people have two options: great or terrible. There is room in between.
But, as you say, indeed performance is to a degree subjective. We each appreciate it differently

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Yeah they should use a crystal oracle to tell them their score beforehand and change the price. /s
As someone who's a fan of games not always being max price, this is still treading dangerous waters.
game devs should only make 95+ MC games and charge accordingly... right?

People shouldn't be surprised when the vast majority of the userbase is not willing to spend ā‚¬80 on a 70 MC title especially when it's a new IP and we have seen this trend time and time again this past 2 years.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
People shouldn't be surprised when the vast majority of the userbase is not willing to spend ā‚¬80 on a 70 MC title especially when it's a new IP and we have seen this trend time and time again this past 2 years.

Meh, critical successes sell poorly too. This just isn't a good argument, and consumers don't reason things out like this.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
why tf is Dragon's Dogma catching strays in this thread lol

can't you nerds like something without putting down a different, unrelated thing
Just salty fanboys. I don't remember Horizon fans being so vocal and trying to put down BOTW or Elden Ring for eclipsing their game and even then the games still sold well.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Just salty fanboys. Don't remember Horizon fans putting down BOTW or Elden Ring for eclipsing their game

They came out on the same day, they're both open world ARPGs, they have very different design philosophies in ways that feel like almost direct responses to eachother, and some people probably played both and bounced off one and clicked more with the other or vice versa. The OP frames the discussion with comparison as a point, and a handful of people in the thread commented with similar or differing takes.

If this is "salty fanboys" idk what to tell you.

ozumas

Born to be Wise
Dec 15, 2020
The thing that is holding me back for trying the game is that... my last experience with Team Ninja is Nioh 2 and I didn't like my time with Nioh 2 but I know I just need time with Nioh 2 because I love FF Stranger of Paradise despites it flaws and the flow of getting perfect gear and build is what I like about these games but the game have to click to me at some point and I am just postponing playing others game up until I decided to give Nioh 2 another chance and hopefully by the time I beat Nioh 2 (and Wo Long) Rise of the Ronin is available in PC

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what to say. I played it on a c2 and the dips felt like in vrr range to me (looked at TV monitoring but that's not that reliable). The only place where it dipped below vrr was when everything was on fire but even that was tolerable since it happened in a mission or two. What i found weird was the micro stutters when exploring but those improved with patches. Cinematics or cutscenes at 30 is not new for a game.
I would definitely not call performance mode terrible though. Cyberpunk 2077 was what I would call terrible for example. It feels like people have two options: great or terrible. There is room in between.
But, as you say, indeed performance is to a degree subjective. We each appreciate it differently
More subjective than I thought lol. I'm also on a C2 and it lags constantly in Kyoto to me. Maybe what I'm talking about is the microstutters? But there is nothing micro about it and the crazy part is that I found Cyberpunks performance mode more tolerable. Subjective indeed.

As far as the cutscenes go, I wouldn't mind them as much of it were just the cutscenes. Conversations going to 30 fps don't make sense to me. Awesome fight scene with a ton going on? Sure that is somewhat normal if not a bit annoying but it's not normal to go into 30 fps for simple dialog + dialog choices. That's weird.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
You know, time is in charge of late kindnesses, but it's also in charge of servers going down

Sinah

Jun 2, 2022
Yeah not doing multi platform for a third party game release like this was certainly a choice.

FolderBrad

Oct 25, 2017
Thing is, I don't think critic scores are wrong?

I just think not all "76s" are create equal. Sometimes a game gets that score because it was a disappointment. And sometimes a game gets that score because that's just sorta what it is, but that's okay. I started calling them Sad 7s and Happy 7s haha.

The graphics ARE quite dated in places. The open world is incredibly rote and repetitive. Nothing about the design here is innovative or fresh. The story is a step up for Team Ninja, but it's not winning any awards for it.

The loot here is worse than ever. The depth that Nioh had if you put in the work is gone, but the clutter is still there. It's easy to ignore, but it's so frustrating that they still pretend to have systems to make it worth it. But it isn't. It's WAY too expensive to even touch that crap. You can go broke trying to level up a single item and it won't be as good as some random crap you get from a drop or chest. It's so out of balance, it's insulting/frustrating that those options are even in there. Upgrading was expensive on Nioh, but at least Tempering was cheap and sort of addictive. Here they even made THAT expensive. Which is silly given how much more shallow the equipment is over all. Ugh. As someone who loves and defends the RPG side of Nioh, this makes me most sad.

Ultimately tho, the combat is FUN. It's a big step up from Wo Long, and the weapon and stance design is incredibly cool. You feel and look so badass in this game in combat. I'm mad we don't have a dozen SunhiLegend gifs already. Nioh and Wo Long had overdone effects with the loot piƱata pop upon death. Kills here feel much more satisfying in a way that reminds me of Ninja Gaiden 2.

And while the open world stuff is so basic and so repetitive and so "unimpressive" in its design, there is ZERO fat or friction. The horse might as well be a skateboard, the fast travel is extremely quick, and it actually helps that the icons don't all show up at once. It's extremely easy to just go go go. It's addictive as hell. It has NONE of the tedious stuff that frustrates me with a prestige game like God of War. No slow climbing or crawling through cracks here. Just extremely snappy design. Get in, rip dudes up, get out.

I think it's a game people will eventually go back to and say "shit this is fun". But I'm not mad at the scores. I want more people to play it, but I'm still telling them to wait for a sale or wait to finish the other games they already picked up this year. Play your big games you have been waiting 5 or 10 years for. But circle back to this one in some downtime or when you want to play a game you don't want to think too much about. It's a Happy 7.

The drip is a 10 tho...

OP
OP
CloseTalker

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Just salty fanboys. I don't remember Horizon fans being so vocal and trying to put down BOTW or Elden Ring for eclipsing their game and even then the games still sold well.
Some of you need to get a grip on reality lol. They came out on the same day, I bought both and played both, so I was talking about my experience. Take a step back and really ask yourself if it's weirder for the comparisons to be made, or is it weirder to be defensive towards a video game lol.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
The Nioh games were rad as hell. I'm just waiting for when I have some free time to purchase and dive in. The OT is incredibly positive from what I've read and that's truly the best metric to go by when it comes to games (for the most part)

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Some of you need to get a grip on reality lol. They came out on the same day, I bought both and played both, so I was talking about my experience. Take a step back and really ask yourself if it's weirder for the comparisons to be made, or is it weirder to be defensive towards a video game lol.
Ideally DD2 should have nothing to do with a thread about Rise of the Ronin being a good game. Two different studios, dev times, resources, game design goals, etc.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
I legitimately think it's the best Playstation exclusive open world since PS3 era. Yes, better than Ghost of Tsushima (which is also a great game btw).

OP
OP
CloseTalker

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Ideally DD2 should have nothing to do with a thread about Rise of the Ronin being a good game. Two different studios, dev times, resources, game design goals, etc.
Lol at this point DD2 has been brought up more often by people complaining about it being brought up than by people criticizing DD2. In my four paragraph OP I bring up DD2 once to say that it probably took a lot of the potential mind share away from Ronin (which is probably true), and once to say it has more esoteric design choices compared to Ronin's more traditional design (which is true). It's really not that serious lol. Ubisoft games have been "catching more strays" than DD2 here, but surprise surprise no one seems to think that's a similar offence

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking forward to this when I get around to it.

Ghostwire Tokyo was another sandbox AA game with a lot of jank that got shredded on release and bombed. I finally played it last month for the first time and I loved it so, so much. In fact, a month later while playing great games like Rebirth I'm still thinking back on Ghostwire Tokyo and wishing I could play more of it (but I pretty much 100%'d it so nothing left to do).
I really loved Ghostwire Tokyo too. It's super repetitive and the story is meh, but the vibe of exploring haunted, rainy Shibuya is fantastic. I couldn't put it down until I got the platinum trophy

rzks21

Aug 17, 2023
I loved Nioh 2 for the combat and absolutely hated everything else including loot, inter-mission content, writing, art and at times the level design.

So this being the kind of open world I don't like with allegedly watered down combat makes me very unlikely to ever try it. Well, that and the Japanese imperialism stuff mentioned in the last few pages.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I beat DD2 and started this....and short story is I think the ratings are extremely appropriate. It's fine to really vibe with it if you do, but I don't think this is some sleeper. I think it was rated properly by the majority, there are a lot of flaws. I'll probably just B line through a chunk of it as I think I'm over this type of open world gameplay in some ways but at least the combat is solid. Should carry me.

I definitely am feeling in my the early impression stage that it might be my least fave team ninja entry in a while.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
It seems really fun, I'm looking forward to when I can get around to it. This year has been too absurd with releases to where i've not had a shot yet.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
It's the open world I've been enjoying the most since idk... RDR2? It doesn't come close to that of course, but it's just such a chill game to roam around in with also some challenging content whenever you feel like pushing yourself. And the combat is so addictive and satisfying that I don't mind retrying said content over and over whenever I fail, great stuff!

I especially have to give them props for the redesign feature. It's awesome to be able to just create a look for your character, without any caveats or cost, and without having to transmog specific armor. That's how it should be in all games imo.

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
Nioh was too hard for me, and I've never completed a FROM game, so I assumed this would be more of the same. If it's more like Ninja Gaiden or Jedi Fallen Order or Survivor, I'm down to give it a shot.

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
I love the game and the music and atmosphere. The combat absolutely puts Tsushima to shame in my opinion and I'm enjoying it much more than I did GOT. They are kind of similar hence the comparison. I love the glider and the grapple too, it can almost feel like tenchu at time if you stealth, with a hint of ninja gaiden, wo long, and nioh all mixed into the combat mechanics. It makes clearing out the "camps" absolutely addictive for me, and I love that they kept the "mission" structure like nioh for the big main missions. It just all clicks for me. Even little touches like calling your horse has your horse run up next to you so you never have to stop and wait for it. Everything is quick and frictionless like the recent open world Assasins Creed games which I really appreciate. For being their first open world game I think team ninja really showed they paid attention to what other studios were doing and learned from it. They also executed really well. It's got some issue that feel like they were born out of budget constraints (if you stop to actually listen to a group of NPCs talk to each other you'll realize it's completely canned set dressing) but the gameplay is top notch.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
How does the combat in this game compare to Nioh, Nioh 2, and Wo Long? I love Ninja Gaiden but really can't get into how rigid the combination of movement and animation feel in any of their more recent games that I just mentioned. Sekiro has been my favorite character action game in the last decade.