Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
image.png

evil-2.jpg

Normally I give network shows a hard pass. But this one actually surprised me in the things it did. The scares are pretty good. The chemistry between the three is really good as well. Out of the three, two are hard skeptics. Mike Colter's character is a true believer, but is willing to give benefit of the doubt to the skeptics.

The story revolves around a group that investigates paranormal behavior, and assesses psychological dimension as well as spiritual dimension. There is usually not a clear cut answer to the questions. The show sometimes falters into network tv tropes, ie technology scenes like hacking, AR/VR, talking about online communities, etc are not really good. There was one scene where supposedly the mystery has not been solved for 500 years but...the protag solves it in few mins? But stuff like that is very few and far between an otherwise a smart show.

I'd give the show a recommend if you are in the mood for a show about Paranormal Investigations Unit. Oh and also Michael Emerson is in the show and he is delightfully evil.

RedBlue

Oct 27, 2017
Queens, NY
I've enjoyed it so far and my wife is mad at me yet again because i've gotten her into a show that she cannot watch all the way through because there is only 1 season.

Nothus

Oct 26, 2017
I swear someone else made a thread on here about this show. Something about it being an adaptation of a foreign language show/book with a different title.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
It's a decent watch. Nothing mind blowing and it's covering well tread territory but I wasn't bored. I will say the big reveal near the end of season 1 felt like it undercut the entire set up of the first season. I did however love the psychopathic psychiatrist getting his own shit thrown back in his face near the end of the season leaving him speechless and shocked.

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
I was pleasantly surprised myself. The main antagonist is a fucking weasel, man. Also the last shot of the first season had me laughing out loud.

FatalT

Feb 24, 2019
I've been watching Servant every Friday but that show is starting to have nothing happen or explained in an episode to keep me hooked. I've heard this is a good alternative to watch while waiting for Servant to get going though! Does it have any long periods of 2-3 episodes where basically nothing hooks you to watch the next episode or is it pretty entertaining throughout?

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I was interested in this show until someone told me it was Mulder and Scully for Catholics. Fair/unfair?

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was interested in this show until someone told me it was Mulder and Scully for Catholics. Fair/unfair?

Kinda. It's still fun and well made however. Guilty pleasure.

I've been watching Servant every Friday but that show is starting to have nothing happen or explained in an episode to keep me hooked. I've heard this is a good alternative to watch while waiting for Servant to get going though! Does it have any long periods of 2-3 episodes where basically nothing hooks you to watch the next episode or is it pretty entertaining throughout?

I remember most episodes being self contained (monster of the week) with overarching character development and plot points. It is a lot more formulaic than Servant.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Never heard of the show and haven't read the op, but I like those actors, so I will give it a shot.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
OP still hasn't atoned for his sin of saying Tribes of Europa is from the makers of Dark.

ImpendingFoil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I watched it a few weeks back and thought it was decent enough. I did enjoy how some episodes ended on very sudden dark twists, the multi episode set up for the incel kid was actually kind of amazing.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
For those that finished S1,
did Kristen really kill LaRoux?

OP
OP

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
OP still hasn't atoned for his sin of saying Tribes of Europa is from the makers of Dark.
But that's what the film/tv articles told me :(

The team behind Tribes of Europa were also the creators for Netflix's first German-language series, Dark, and the Oscar-winning The Life of Others. Creator Philip Koch is said to have come up with the idea for the series after the Brexit vote was cast.
www.denofgeek.com

Netflix’s Tribes of Europa Review (Spoiler-Free): Brutal German Sci-Fi

Sharing elements with Game of Thrones, The 100 and The Hunger Games, Netflix’s German-language dystopia is packed with suspense, bloodshed and power struggles

The show follows network tv formula: monster of the week + overarching plot. But without giving away spoilers too much, I want to say this "monster of the week" is also part of the overall arc...That's all I'll say.

Also want to point out, this show pays terrific homage (and a wink to the fans) to classic horror stories: The Exorcist, Misery, Poltergeist, The Omen, Rosemary's Baby, etc. I'd definitely give it a whirl if you liked those classics.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Tried to stick with it but the show got increasingly cornball. In hindsight, its exactly what I expected from a network show about mixing supernatural stuff, shame it didnt land with me.

ImpendingFoil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
For those that finished S1,
did Kristen really kill LaRoux?

I assume so. Given how dark the show gets at times I might even say it was just straight up murder and not even George's doing. Though a CBS show where the protagonist is a straight up murderer is probably unlikely and I wouldn't be surprised if the skeptic explanations go out the window in season two.

Paradox

Oct 28, 2017

Only as much as its a sci-fi/fantasy show with a male and female lead who have conflicting viewpoints. One of the things I actually really like about the show that sets it apart from X-Files is that it never explicitly lands on one explanation or the other.

Like, with X-Files, 90% of the time its aliens and Mulder is right and Scully is being wilfully blind. With Evil, it could be weird supernatural religion stuff or it could be psychological reasonings or it could be fancy tech/science. Its usually left open to interpretation and everyone's viewpoint is equally challenged.

I feel like the premise is exemplified in Michael Emerson's character who is literally evil, but the show basically asks what is more ridiculous: that this guy is some kind of extreme psychopath with zero remorse or moral compunctions or that he's a literal demon from hell.

I think the show definitely has its faults and a lot of episodes just kinda peter out in an unsatisfactory way, but I like how it messes with expectations and is just plain weird so much of the time.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Okay so I binged it in the last couple of days. I like it.
I agree with the above poster in that there's a decent balance between supernatural and science that I wasn't expecting.

The show does have its faults - budget being one - but I'm looking forward to season 2.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Wife and I meant to put this on the backburner. Looked neat. Will definitely give it a shot seeing some of the positive posts here.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't watched it, but it seems like a "See! The skepics were wrong the whole time and God (and the Devil) are really REAL!!! You're entertained by it, so you're a believer now!" kind of thing.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
I used a VPN and watched around 5 or 6 EPS...does it get any better?

I can handle it not being scary, kinda slow but it's just so boring...

And I was getting flashback from the Hackers movie on that episode with the abusive Broadway producer...

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I used a VPN and watched around 5 or 6 EPS...does it get any better?

I can handle it not being scary, kinda slow but it's just so boring...

And I was getting flashback from the Hackers movie on that episode with the abusive Broadway producer...
Sounds like it's not for you, which is fine, you gave it a good shot.

kidtamagotchi

Oct 27, 2017
I love this show! I watched it all on CBS. Can't wait for the next season! It's always nice to see the actors post BTS pics of the upcoming season on their Instagrams.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Binged this awhile ago, not great not terrible but a fun watch if you're into this flavour of occult (i guess?). Will tune in for the next season.

I felt the ass pulls that Leland managed were very rough, it essentially boiled down to just 'he's a bad guy and he's got all the keys'

Also not 100% sure if the relationship between Kristen and David (and you know who else) really did anything for me on top of all the other stuff that was going on with them.