• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Wow, her last name is Disney and they still ignored her? What does it take to fix this nonsense?

Firing everyone up top, clean sweep the bad actors and change the culture from scratch. But that requires someone like her replacing Iger. She needs to become the company biggest shareholder, and thanks to Marvel and Lucas Arts the other biggest ones are George Lucas and Isaac Perlmutter.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Morherfucker didn't even answer her?
What a loser. These rich people can make themselves legends. INstead they only want more money.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
This is nice. But I don't care.

I would be impressed if she simply gave $200 million to the lowest paid 1/4 full time employees. Not a foundation. Not a annuatized fund. Divide the number of low paid resort employees by $200 million and tell them to set accounts up, because they're getting a bonus.

Sell her 737 and give away the proceeds.

After all that, she and her descendants would still be immorally wealthy for generations to come.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Firing everyone up top, clean sweep the bad actors and change the culture from scratch. But that requires someone like her replacing Iger. She needs to become the company biggest shareholder, and thanks to Marvel and Lucas Arts the other biggest ones are George Lucas and Isaac Perlmutter.

Lucas liquidated his position about 5 years ago. I am not sure about Perlmutter but I doubt he would be any help considering he does not control a board seat.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
capitalism follows the money. if audiences cared about workers rights and the right to a livable wage there'd be more protest against disney, amazon, wal-mart but we are pigeon holed into these services or entertainment spheres because they control a lot of it so alternatives are hard or inconveniences. it's a win win for them in a sense cause bad press isn't gonna make them change and policies are a pipe dream since the US is steeped deep in conservatism on a government level.
Good post

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Lucas liquidated his position about 5 years ago. I am not sure about Perlmutter but I doubt he would be any help considering he does not control a board seat.

My mistake, I meant things wouldn't be any better with those two replacing Iger. Perlmutter's a close friend of Trump's.

Last edited:

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
The same can be said for Universal Studios. The park CEO makes 51 million, after the wage increase to $12 an hour, they've been cutting hours and amount of staffs working. My work area have always been kept to a minimum to the point of our stewards are having a mental breakdown when getting the closing shift. They have to clean up everything by themselves while other restaurant have two at minimum.

So if you ever go to any theme park, remember how hard we work trying to give you a good experience.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
My mistake, I meant things wouldn't be any better with those two replacing Iger. Iger's a close friend of Trump's.

Iger has overseen arguably the most profitable period in the company's history. Short of sexual harassment, murder or corporate fraud claims he will more than likely leave on his own terms.

The same can be said for Universal Studios. The park CEO makes 51 million, after the wage increase to $12 an hour, they've been cutting hours and amount of staffs working. My work area have always been kept to a minimum to the point of our stewards are having a mental breakdown when getting the closing shift. They have to clean up everything by themselves while other restaurant have two at minimum.

So if you ever go to any theme park, remember how hard we work trying to give a good experience.

Same thing applies to amusement parks and shore town attractions.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Iger has overseen arguably the most profitable period in the company's history. Short of sexual harassment, murder or corporate fraud claims he will more than likely leave on his own terms.

It's not the profits that are the issue, it's how its managed. That's why Iger's getting roasted by the Disney heiress. You can make good money without being the modern equivalent of a feudal lord.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
It's not the profits that are the issue, it's how its managed. That's why Iger's getting roasted by the Disney heiress. You can make good money without being the modern equivalent of a feudal lord.

My point was that shareholders are willing to turn a blind eye to most indiscretions as long as the company is making money. Disney has tons of applicants falling over themselves to work there. Abigail's concerns won't make them rethink their position.

Also, yesterday's news about 37 nations, many that are self proclaimed Islamic nations, supporting China makes it clear that people/nations like money and power more than other people, even if they are fellow believers.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
My point was that shareholders are willing to turn a blind eye to most indiscretions as long as the company is making money. Disney has tons of applicants falling over themselves to work there. Abigail's concerns won't make them rethink their position.

Also, yesterday's news about 37 nations, many that are self proclaimed Islamic nations, supporting China makes it clear that people/nations like money and power more than other people, even if they are fellow believers.

That's true, hadn't thought of that.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Disneyland kills it employees and most aren't even able to work for more than a few years. There was a big thread on Reddit about that.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
I would like to see laws that tie the pay of CEOs and their ilk to the median worker pay. 1000x is egregious as hell. How about more like 50x? If that's too low, well, raise median worker pay and your pay will go up in turn.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
On a separate note: imagine your last name being fucking "Disney" bruh. Like, reality bends to your whim and the laws of time and space are yours to define.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Powerful statement from somebody this high up. I'm not sure how much leverage she actually has over the goings on of the company, but still great to see her sticking up for the little people.

Mar 29, 2018
Wow. Bloody good on her, that email to the CEO sounds unreal.

Imagine being such a heartless bastard that you just let an email like that slip by.

Like, why not take a $1 million dollar paycut and distribute that to your employees as a bonus.

You are not going to miss that $1 million.

It's literally proven that after $100,000 or so you see rapidly diminishing returns in happiness and quality of life.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017

So if you ever go to any theme park, remember how hard we work trying to give you a good experience.

This is why I treat you guys like saints whenever I'm at a park.

Imagine being such a heartless bastard that you just let an email like that slip by.

Like, why not take a $1 million dollar paycut and distribute that to your employees as a bonus.

It's literally proven that after $100,000 or so you see rapidly diminishing returns in happiness and quality of life.

Like my manager sarcastically always said back when I used to work retail:

"Why would they do that? Why have just 8 yachts when you can have 9?"

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to Disneyland in Cali this September. I really did not want to because of these exact reasons, and how Disney just evil in some aspects.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It amazes me how entitled some people are.

We had to comfort a Disneyland employee once because she was crying due to a father yelling at her for making him and his son move from the fireworks area that was clearly for walking and not standing.

Like, not only is it being an asshole to people who just want to do their job, but in front of your kids too? You're going to raise little shits.
People feel entitled with coupons at the supermarket. Turn that into spending hundreds of dollars to enter a theme park with your family and a lot of people think they own you. I have mad respect for the employees who are able to maintain an upbeat attitude (and the janitors for keeping that place as clean as it is while also drawing street art) because I could never do it, and it is a thankless job

Mar 29, 2018
Like my manager sarcastically always said back when I used to work retail:

"Why would they do that? Why have just 8 yachts when you can have 9?"

"But you will never afford to live in them. Because they are not real homes. They are blocks of money."

Oh great 10 bucks will really help them.

JFC, didn't realise they had that many employees.

Well, how about $5 million off his paycheck?

$10 million?

20?

You ignored the point, which is that after $100k per year you see diminishing returns in QoL and happiness. There's literally no point in making this much money. Except perhaps an extreme paranoia that you might lose it all at any minute. Thus it might as well be redistributed.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You ignored the point, which is that after $100k per year you see diminishing returns in QoL and happiness. There's literally no point in making this much money. Except perhaps an extreme paranoia that you might lose it all at any minute. Thus it might as well be redistributed.

Oh, there's a point. It's all about social superiority, arrogance and self-importance. Nobody NEEDS that much money but people WANT it so they can feel superior over other people. Ultra-rich people are almost all sociopaths to some degree or another, and it's a rare breed that actually uses their privilege for the betterment of society as a whole instead of feudalistic wealth hoarding.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
I worked there for a summer. Thought I was going to have a great summer going to the parks everyday after work but in reality you can't afford it. The pay is basically minimum wage which is really low in Florida and then they take room and board out of your paycheck. I was lucky to have $100 left for food and anything else I needed for the week. And this was when I was 17 and had no bills.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny, you watch something like the Florida Project and how the area around Disney World is so poor and run down and the people are without hope. Then you realize the people working the park are similar in a lot of ways. It's just really sad.

I worked there for a summer. Thought I was going to have a great summer going to the parks everyday after work but in reality you can't afford it. The pay is basically minimum wage which is really low in Florida and then they take room and board out of your paycheck. I was lucky to have $100 left for food and anything else I needed for the week. And this was when I was 17 and had no bills.

That's horrible :(.

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
Most theme parks have a rotation. So for example your day could be: grouper, unload, lockers, greeter, break. Depending on how many people work at your venue you could have 3 different rotations or 7 rotations. Just depends on how many people are needed to operate the venue. You will be in each spot for a half hour. Once the person on break is done they go to the top and then you move down one spot.

So if I had to guess they would put that spot at the bottom. Usually management puts the worst/outside spots at the bottom so then you go to your break after to destress/cool off.

It provides workers with the ability to keep active so you don't get burned out in any spot. If you hate your spot you only have to be there for 30 minutes.
When I worked at WDW it was a total crapshoot if you got on the good rotation and I hated it so much lol. One of them was really, really easy and chill and the other was insanely hectic and tedious and just the worst. If you were unlucky you could clock in, get the awful rotation, go through the whole thing, get a break, then bump somebody else out for their break and get out back on the bad rotation again. If I never have to give another pre-show spiel it'll be too soon I swear. It did however get me over any fear of public speaking, so that's nice I guess.

Also I agree with other posters saying the DCP kinda ruins WDW. I was one myself and it was a fantastic experience socially but as a work environment WDW is... lacking. The perks were great but the pay was abysmal and the hours were nuts. 100+ hour weeks during the holidays on minimum wage. Cast members do genuinely want to improve your visit but when it's your 6th day in a row working open to close (8am - 1am) it's really, really hard. Especially when people are constantly complaining to you about how busy it is, or reminding you how much they spent to be there.

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know why I thought she'd be younger and look like one of the actresses on the Disney live shows...

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I work at a theme park too and this is my usual day too. I spent more time arguing and fighting with visitors than actually making sure it's all safe. Actually got into a crazy fight with a mentally insane kid that randomly punched me in the face and attacked other people including a lady in line and his own teacher, actually had to pin him down. People have no respect for you and it's super depressing.
Holy shit how often is violence happening over there?!

It reminds me of the family fight at Disney recently.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

I'm going with my wife to Universal Studios this August because she's into Harry Potter, so I'll keep this in mind. Anything I can take note of, other than being respectful of the employees?

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I'm going with my wife to Universal Studios this August because she's into Harry Potter, so I'll keep this in mind. Anything I can take note of, other than being respectful of the employees?

All the Harry Potter rides will require lockers except for Flight of the Hippogriff. You can not keep any type of bags except for a fanny pack with a 3-prong clip. The locker rooms are extremely small so the team members try to have only 1 person carry all the bags. Gringotts and Hagrid's has free small lockers and paid large lockers. Forbidden Journey has all the lockers free and 1 size.

Hagrid's has been running midday only. The ride is not open for the first few hours and final few hours. It will also rain everyday in the middle of August midday so you have to plan well if you want to ride Hagrid's. But hopefully the issues will be sorted out by then and will be open longer.

Hagrid's and Forbidden Journey both have pretty restrictive seats. So I recommend everyone to try the test seats if you are unsure. The test seats are at the front of the line next to the wait time board.

I also recommend Spiderman, Men in Black, The Mummy, and Hulk for the best non-HP attractions.

Oh also Forbidden Journey gets people incredibly motion sick and people throw up like every 20 minutes so maybe take some motion sickness pills before going on it.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
All the Harry Potter rides will require lockers except for Flight of the Hippogriff. You can not keep any type of bags except for a fanny pack with a 3-prong clip. The locker rooms are extremely small so the team members try to have only 1 person carry all the bags. Gringotts and Hagrid's has free small lockers and paid large lockers. Forbidden Journey has all the lockers free and 1 size.

Hagrid's has been running midday only. The ride is not open for the first few hours and final few hours. It will also rain everyday in the middle of August midday so you have to plan well if you want to ride Hagrid's. But hopefully the issues will be sorted out by then and will be open longer.

Hagrid's and Forbidden Journey both have pretty restrictive seats. So I recommend everyone to try the test seats if you are unsure. The test seats are at the front of the line next to the wait time board.

I also recommend Spiderman, Men in Black, The Mummy, and Hulk for the best non-HP attractions.

Oh also Forbidden Journey gets people incredibly motion sick and people throw up like every 20 minutes so maybe take some motion sickness pills before going on it.
Lots of good advice, thanks! Not gonna carry much other than a phone and maybe tap water. I love front seats so will check out the test seats. Is Forbidden Journey the scariest?

Oct 30, 2017
I'm talking about Abigail Disney compared to Iger. Should the gap between Iger and his employees be that big? No. But, don't put Abigail on some sort of pedestal for calling him out. She doesn't do any work for the money she pulls in. Does it matter to her whether she gets X amount or Y amount, if she does no work for it?
Why are you blaming the child who inherited the money? What is she supposed to do? Actively reject an endowment and pretend to be Oliver fucking Twist? No one is putting her on a pedestal but it is important to recognize that she is using her fortune and her namesake in an attempt to make a difference in the world.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

100,000? is that a mistype?

edit: apparently it wasn't a mistype.

Its literally proven that after 100K you see rapidly diminishing returns in happiness and QoL? Really? 100k would barely get you a house in the Seattle area.

Mar 29, 2018
100,000? is that a mistype?
The study I'm referring to was actually in the UK, so $100,000 was an approximation

The study found that from going from 0-ÂŁ15,000 per year your QoL and happiness skyrocketed, going from ÂŁ15k to ÂŁ25k it went up a lot, going from ÂŁ25k to ÂŁ35k it went up a bit, going from ÂŁ35k to ÂŁ50k it went up only a little, and everything over ÂŁ50,000 per year was a negligible increase on quality of life and happiness.

In short, over ÂŁ50k per year, you tended to remain in luxury quality of life, and you still remained frustrated like everyone else in the world. You just weren't in full unhappiness, desperation, high stress or borderline trauma.

I approximated $100,000 from ÂŁ50,000 but
- that would really be more like $80,000 or something
- it's probably different in the States, this was a UK based study I think

Last edited:

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'd be okay if they wanted to raise the prices so that the workers can get paid more, hopefully it would make it a little less busy as well.
I was being sarcastic saying that it's already so expensive that they really showed be forking over more to their employees.

With that said, I know zero about costs of running these vs what they make in profit.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
JFC, didn't realise they had that many employees.

Well, how about $5 million off his paycheck?

Disney has over 200,000 employees. Even a $100m bonus applied every year would only amount to $500 per year to every employee. They pay more than that in bonuses already by the way. The "top", elite, highest managers, whatever you want to call them also get stock bonuses which end up giving out hundreds of millions per year.

Yes, Disney can definitely afford to pay its workers more but there are a lot of capitalist things that simultaneously explain why

1. The United States is the leader of many big corporations - Amazon, Google, Disney, Facebook, Uber, Lyft, Microsoft, McDonalds, on and on and on
2. They don't pay that much in taxes
3. They have a layer of management which is EXTREMELY well paid
4. Shareholder value is the only thing that matters to most companies, driving that stock price up delivers vast riches to a HUGE amount of people inside the company but also investors

The reason for all three is that companies can give out stock to employees and the cost of the stock COUNTS AS AN EXPENSE to deduct against profits. So if you made $1b in profit in 2018, you can hand out $1b in stock options to employees and it'll "reduce" your taxes significantly, from like $300m to $50m on that $1b (you can't quite zero it out due to a lot of technicalities).

The USA is one of the only countries that has this in its federal tax codes, which is why companies like being headquartered here.

The biggest irony is that this all came about because in the 1990s Bill Clinton thought CEOs make too much money and he and the democratic Congress created laws to restrict CEO pay, and one of the loopholes that got figured out was that you could reduce how much cash you give CEOs but give it to them in stock instead, and its only ballooned since then.

This and the war on crime (which created 3 strikes, private prisons, harsh drug criminal penalties, etc) are two of the biggest "good intentions with unintended consequences" examples of America in the 21st century.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The 20+ super rich people that are asking to be taxed more should instead just pool their funds together, buy Fox News, then immediately take it off the air permanently. It would be so incredibly beneficial to break the spell that evil network has over half the country.

Mar 29, 2018
Disney has over 200,000 employees. Even a $100m bonus applied every year would only amount to $500 per year to every employee. They pay more than that in bonuses already by the way. The "top", elite, highest managers, whatever you want to call them also get stock bonuses which end up giving out hundreds of millions per year.

Yes, Disney can definitely afford to pay its workers more but there are a lot of capitalist things that simultaneously explain why

1. The United States is the leader of many big corporations - Amazon, Google, Disney, Facebook, Uber, Lyft, Microsoft, McDonalds, on and on and on
2. They don't pay that much in taxes
3. They have a layer of management which is EXTREMELY well paid
4. Shareholder value is the only thing that matters to most companies, driving that stock price up delivers vast riches to a HUGE amount of people inside the company but also investors

The reason for all three is that companies can give out stock to employees and the cost of the stock COUNTS AS AN EXPENSE to deduct against profits. So if you made $1b in profit in 2018, you can hand out $1b in stock options to employees and it'll "reduce" your taxes significantly, from like $300m to $50m on that $1b (you can't quite zero it out due to a lot of technicalities).

The USA is one of the only countries that has this in its federal tax codes, which is why companies like being headquartered here.

The biggest irony is that this all came about because in the 1990s Bill Clinton thought CEOs make too much money and he and the democratic Congress created laws to restrict CEO pay, and one of the loopholes that got figured out was that you could reduce how much cash you give CEOs but give it to them in stock instead, and its only ballooned since then.

This and the war on crime (which created 3 strikes, private prisons, harsh drug criminal penalties, etc) are two of the biggest "good intentions with unintended consequences" examples of America in the 21st century.
Agreed and good info

But STILL my point is ultimately that the CEO could give away $65.9 million dollars of what he made and give it to the employees, and he would see no change in quality of life or level of happiness, as research has shown.

The ultimate point is that money can't buy happiness so the whole concept is fucked and everything should get redistributed while we move towards resource based economies

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Fiduciary interest and responsibilities y'all.

I mean this is really it. Our laws and culture incentivize corporations to act like this. It is in their interest to be terrible in the sake of unreasonable growth for growth's sake.

What we would like to do is change as little as possible and somehow have people still act like angels. That's just not going to happen.