• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
SBR when???

I started watching Jojo awhile ago, but I had to stop very early as weirdly after every episode, my computer would blue screen when loading the next episode on Netflix and then I got busy, but I later picked it back up on Crunchyroll!

I loved it all. I love seeing Araki's ideas, art, powers and characters evolving over time. I love the change in art direction and world building. I adore all the pop culture and music references, and all the silly moments. I enjoy all the call backs, and the wacky and complicated Joestar/Dio family tree. Also the absurd stand abilities, just some of them are so outrageous, and how the fights progress really surprised me at times. I'd even guess how some battles would go, and I would be wrong. :P

Just watching the show and seeing David Production put so much love into Araki's work is amazing to see. I wish I caught this series earlier. I missed out on Jojo Fridays, so the best I have are Crunchyroll comments. :P I loved the intro variations, either adding sound effects, or the antagonist breaking the opening. Just so unexpected the first time it happened, and I am glad they kept the tradition going forward.

Oh and all the MEMES. Some of them are laugh out loud, and I realized while watching the series that a lot of the memes I knew of I now had context for, making them funnier, or realizing memes I laughed at in the past came from Jojo.

I even picked up the manga, so I could truly appreciate Araki's art! It's crazy to see like, Part 5 began in 1995, but didn't come to the states until 2021 (but in other regions, much sooner? US Manga distribution sucks).

There isn't much detail or specific things I had in mind I wanted to directly talk about when making this thread, just that I wanted to share how much I adored this series.
I loved all the parts, and all the Jojos, I feel they all complicate each other. I love how each part feels pretty distinct, I liked the comparison with part 4 feeling like slice of life like, until the later end with Kira. I really enjoyed how different some of the Jojo protagonists can be from another, or the settings and story. It is very refreshing.

I have so many moments I truly loved from the series. So many I would list but this post is getting long. So many moments that made me so excited and I'd actually be in aww over it.

and now we wait for part 7, from what a lot of people say online, it seems to be quite wild and a favorite part, and the memes of it are so funny, and all the fan creations of SBR despite it not even having an anime announcement yet

that is all. :) It was a long, but awesome journey going through the series. I got truly addicted to it, and powered through it all.

THAT 7 PAGE MUDA WAS SICK.

OP
OP
criteriondog

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
oh and all the Jojo protagonists are aweome, and so are the parts!

no need to do ranking wars :P they're cool in everyway haha

forgot to mention, love how the colors would just change, not just on the characters, but also the environment! such a cool touch, and interesting to read about. It really complimented how Araki plays around with colors in his art! So it's kind of cool how the all star battle game had Giorno in a blue suit, but his anime had it pink, so the rerelease has the pink suit as default

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
abf.jpg

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
aint no bigger villain serving c*** than a jojo villain

aint no bigger hero serving c*** than a jojo hero

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
I thought the overall quality dropped off a cliff when stands were introduced. Try as I might, i just could not finish the series following the characters going to school.

One day i wanna go back and "get it", but it's not gonna be for a while yet.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I should get around to watching the Jolyne one before the Path to Nowhere collaboration comes out.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
the final intro to part 6 is so fucking good

just thinking about it is making me tear up

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Hamon sucks and Stands are unrivaled as a creative power system.

Is what I would say if I even knew what a JoJo is

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
if im thinking about the series as a whole

there's maybe three episodes in the entire run that take place anywhere near a school
Doesnt that particular series take place mostly around the highschool? I could be misrembering that aspect.

Either way, i stuck it out during the prior series because Dio! But i just couldn't make it through the one that came after.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Favorite Jojo moment for me is probably in Part 4 during the Enigma encounter, where they're using scent to find the enemy stand user in a crowd and it turns out to be the most suspicious looking guy ever, standing like this

That or the gun scene right after

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Doesnt that particular series take place mostly around the highschool? I could be misrembering that aspect.
in jojo part 3 and 4 they are highschoolers

but in part 3 they are globetrotting almost immediately, like episode... 2 or 3?

and in part 4, they are highschoolers, but the season is mostly about the town and ensemble cast, with very little happening at the school, i think you see the inside of the school once or twice

(in part 5 they SHOULD be in school, but they are GANG-STARS instead)

and part 6 is prison, which is kinda like school

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017

Either way, i stuck it out during the prior series because Dio! But i just couldn't make it through the one that came after.

Lol I love DIO but the villain of Diamond Is Unbreakable is only beaten by SBR's. DIO is like in third place, maybe fourth depending on how I feel about Pucci that day

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
While I love a lot of the music choices, it always saddened me that David Productions didn't choose the best choice for Stardust Crusader's ending theme:

Egypt - The Chains Are On from Ronnie James Dio's 1984 solo album, The Last in Line:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLF4JvEb2lw

You can't tell me Araki wasn't listening to this while writing Stardust Crusaders.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a bad person, this was never up for debate.

in jojo part 3 and 4 they are highschoolers

but in part 3 they are globetrotting almost immediately, like episode... 2 or 3?

and in part 4, they are highschoolers, but the season is mostly about the town and ensemble cast, with very little happening at the school, i think you see the inside of the school once or twice

(in part 5 they SHOULD be in school, but they are GANG-STARS instead)

and part 6 is prison, which is kinda like school
i had to look it all up again to refresh my memory. Hot off of part 2, i did not like part 3. But yeah, part 4 is where it finally lost me.

If i ever start it up again, i'm just gonna jump right into part 5.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I know a bunch of JoJo stuff and basically all of the JoJo poses (I assume), despite never having seen a minute of the actual anime.

Two Qs:

1) Is there a dub version? If there is, is sub or dub better?
2) Is the show meant to be funny? Because all of the JoJo stuff I'm familiar with seems completely mental, haha.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018

A school setting is practically nonexistent in Part 4 so you're definitely misremembering. The protagonists are mostly highschoolers, but we hardly ever actually see them in school
I know a bunch of JoJo stuff and basically all of the JoJo poses (I assume), despite never having seen a minute of the actual anime.

Two Qs:

2) Is the show meant to be funny? Because all of the JoJo stuff I'm familiar with seems completely mental, haha.
There's a dub, but I cant recommend it. The Stands are mostly named after different bands and songs, and the dub had to change them all because of copyright, which sucks. And I argue that the series brand of insanity just comes off better with the subs, for instance the random Engrish that shows up here and there has some charm to it.

It is funny, yes. While there are more typical gags, theres also a comedy just to how ridiculous and over the top it gets while playing it straight

Last edited:

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
1. yea theres a dub, the full series so far is on netflix. i prefer subs but the dub is good

2. yes, it is meant to be funny, its both an action series and comedy, with tons of melodrama and sexual energy

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017

Two Qs:

I've heard the dub is ok but honestly the JP voice track for each series is usually perfectly cast, just all star stuff.

For the most part the series is not ironic or satirical and is in fact very earnest. It's funny because it's funny. Sometimes the funny comes from how ridiculous it can be. Sometimes it's funny because of the jokes. Sometimes it's funny because it's serious but it's being serious about something very dumb. Sometimes it's actually just serious.

OP
OP
criteriondog

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017

Two Qs:

1. there is an English dub, but I have not checked it out, I like my dubs though! I just decided from the first episode I'd do sub since I heard bits of it already in memes, which is actually more rare for me to do subbed, but I like Joseph's sub voice a lot. Dub seems fine! I did check out a bit of part 6 dubbed, and I enjoyed it too. But I watched everything subbed so I don't have a definitive answer. I feel that pretty much most dubs in modern anime are very good.

2. show has quite some funny moments, but I wouldn't say it's a pure comedy anime, but it has plenty of humor sprinkled through, some could even just be from how over the top the show gets and what you think of it's moments

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
jojo is as much comedy as most shonen, just more blatantly so

any shonen that isnt a gag manga still expects you to take its serious moments seriously

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
I still haven't went back and continued to watch Star Ocean
The netflix release model really killed all the hype/momentum for me.

InfiniteKing

Oct 26, 2017
Loved it and got like super duper obsessed with it to the point I was annoying people with it as a fanboy, which I hate that I do. I had favorite parts, I read up to part 7 and 8 and my interest finally fell out as soon as 8 finished. Which is to say it's possibly tied my favorite part with 7 (I'm weird).

Now I don't think I can go back to rewatch/read any of it and haven't followed it anymore and probably won't either.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
Really need Part 7 anime confirmation one of these days. Hopefully during some summer con or something. Tends to happen during those

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
steel ball run is gonna be massive

legit think it'll need at least two full seasons

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Was a little late to the party and got in with the anime but loved it. Araki's art is amazing even if his character designs are often…questionable lol. Was lucky to see some of his original pages up close at a limited time Shonen Jump gallery while I was in Japan years ago. Ended up getting one of the panels from the manga tattooed on my leg.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
One day I should try to get back into it. I watched Parts 1-4 as they were airing and after Part 4 finally jumped to the manga and read Part 5. Started reading Part 6 and just fell off not too far into it. Was probably burn out but I was also getting kind of bored of it in general.

It is, for better and worse, an over the top shounen action series that is heavily episodic. Plots always kind of boil down to "what wacky villain will the gang fight this week*", so the fun of it relies entirely on the main cast and their powers. In that sense, I do think Part 4 is my favorite. Followed by Part 3. Then the others are all kinda equal.

*usually lasting 2 to 3 weeks per encounter but you get it

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
I started watching the anime recently, and I started watching it totally blind, I didn't know anything about it nor what it was about, but its homoerotism got my attention.

And I loved all the parts!! Part 1 might be the weakest but however still really good. Part 4 is my favorite of them all and Jotaro my favorite Jojo. It's supposed to be a Shonen but still a great comedy show. As many people said, you shouldn't take this seriously.

3f0f32588374adf2768b223de3503ae8.gif

jojo-tongue-out.gif

RadioHeadAche

Oct 26, 2017
Viz tried to bring Jojo over to the US earlier with Stardust Crusaders in 2005, but I don't think it did well, so they didn't bother localizing the rest until much, much later. We almost got that Vento Aureo PS2 game, and I wonder if that would have been successful enough for Viz to bring over more Jojo sooner. At least we're finally getting more of it now, though.

However, I still won't stop being annoyed that France will be getting The Jojolands soon, while we're not even at SBR

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018
I thought the overall quality dropped off a cliff when stands were introduced. Try as I might, i just could not finish the series following the characters going to school.

One day i wanna go back and "get it", but it's not gonna be for a while yet.

Really? Harmon felt like instant win buttons to me. Stands sorta turn the fights into chess matches because of how specific their powers are.

Try Stardust again. The first couple stands are pretty lame, but the show really picks up after those stinkers.

gundalf

May 6, 2022
I also recently watched the series on Netflix, Part 4 and 5 where my favorites while Part 6 was my least favorite.

One thing I noticed is how concepts and ideas introduced in the beginning are forgotten in the later 2/3 of the story.
For example Star Platinum long fingers (could have killed Pucci), Golden Wind damage reflection or cultural aspects like Italians talking over each other.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
I loved how the anime played with its licensed music.

Series 1 using Roundabout as the perfect cliffhanger stinger, then in that one episode where Zeppeli faces his fears they play it in full for the first time.

Series 3 not playing it's first ED Walk Like An Egyptian until (iirc) episode 4 where they reveal they're headed to Egypt and it's so crazy funny and hype.

How with they started breaking up the OP songs as the main villains reveal their reality-breaking powers. Series 4 with its rewinding was probably my favourite implementation of this.

Everything about the music in series 6. Perfection.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
If i ever start it up again, i'm just gonna jump right into part 5.
I was gonna react negatively to this, but ive reconsidered

part 4 is pretty fully separate enough from the rest of jojo that you could easily skip it and make up pace on your own

but i will say this

part 4 is easily my favorite season of jojo

its the season that first explores the limitations of Stands in both limit and form to their full, the first that really starts testing certain ideas about what stands are and what they can do, not only on their one but in combination with others

also, its the season i love the most because the characters are so brilliant, even characters that dont matter to the final plot

in the end you've got a business man and a highschool delinquent throwing glass at each other, and its one of the best anime finales of all time

so i would ask you reconsider, and if you don't that's ok, just maybe consider going back in the future

part 4 is special

Last edited:

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I love jojo, probably my favourite long anime.
But I love part 4 the most. SO FUCKING GOOD.

Im reading right now part 7 and its also getting really good.

The anime also has the best OPs of all time, except the second OP of part 4... Thank god the abdolute masterful op3 of part 4 redeems everything.
Also those final episode changes in the OP, they are always so hype.
Viz tried to bring Jojo over to the US earlier with Stardust Crusaders in 2005, but I don't think it did well, so they didn't bother localizing the rest until much, much later. We almost got that Vento Aureo PS2 game, and I wonder if that would have been successful enough for Viz to bring over more Jojo sooner. At least we're finally getting more of it now, though.

However, I still won't stop being annoyed that France will be getting The Jojolands soon, while we're not even at SBR

Spain and Italy also.
Ivrea (the spanish publisher) are finishing right now jojolion and will jump to jojolands as soon as they are finished.

Is incredible, becuase for some shitty trademarks reason, Spain got the manga SUPER late compared to any other manga thats released here, but in less than 3 years (there was a stop becuase of covid in between, makin it a little more) they released everything from Phantom Blood up to Steel Ball Run complete (and great physical editions with also great translation), to get at the same level as Italy and France that got it much sooner.