• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never had a problem with it showing me alt right vids. I do get lots of yongyea videos for some reason, I guess because of the jimquisitions that get posted here?

The main problem I get is youtube seeing me watch a game vid like digital foundry's god of war video and it going "HERE'S EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENS IN GOW!" in my suggestions.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Youtube's algorithm is really weird about this sometimes.

I'll occasionally watch a John Oliver segment on their page or something like a Contrapoints video someone links. Apparently thats enough, doesn't really get the distinction and even then, seems like a lot of people like just get them from out of nowhere aswell.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Gamers are finally rising up, we live in a society, etc.

I used to get those videos popping up too watching Overwatch and Rocket League matches too and it was pretty annoying. Blocking and selecting "Not Interested" to curate content and recommendations seemed to work for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Youtube is like the only large content platform that doesn't let you completely ignore users, and that's bullshit. If I block someone, it should block them completely.

I'd also recommend the plugin. Only problem is you can't get rid of the stuff on your tv or phone or whatever.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I got a few of those videos after watching some RDR2, Fortnite, and PUBG videos (to see what gameplay was like nowadays.) Shit's fucked.

KNTomg

May 18, 2018
Youtube is gonna Youtube. They wouldn't be a free service otherwise. Best for you to ignore it...

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Happened to me recently when I looked for Joe Rogan clips. I didn't knew the guy until some threads poped up here last month and there seemd to be a 50/50 going on about him, I had to check by myself. Since then, Alt Right/Anti SJW/ MAGA shit all over my suggestions.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
I mostly use YouTube for yoga with some videogames related videos thrown in, it must think I'm a hate filled hippy that will watch anything as long as the thumbnail has a red circle on it.

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
Weird. Watching Smash tourneys just floods my recommendations with more Smash vids.
Same.
Honestly YouTube needs to fuck off with this shit. Watch any gaming video and you'll get trash like "SJWS OWNED COMPILATION #54", "BEN SHAPIRO EPIC SAVAGE MOMENTS" or "JORDAN PETERSON DESTROYS FEMINIST ON TOXIC MASCULINITY"

People don't realize how easy it is to get exposed to this shit
None of this has ever been suggested to me. And I only watch gaming and movies related stuff.
Weird.

Oct 27, 2017
YouTube just recommends what will potentially piss you off so you'll click on that. If you're seeing alt right stuff, I bet you've been watching political stuff there too besides smash videos, that's why YouTube recommends you those. Twitter does the same, shows me shit that could ruin my day every single day because they want me to engage in those fights but I won't fall for it.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Youtube's related-video algorithm is very exploitable, and no one knows how to exploit it better than the alt-right. You can, however, tune things to your liking by clicking the three dots in the corner of the video thumbnails and select "not interested" (or whatever it is; I believe you can also report them from there), and over time you'll get videos that are actually decent recommendations.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Youtube algorithms are hosed up. I watched some Patton Oswalt stand up clips a while back and for about a week afterwards I kept getting suggestions for vids about Patton getting "owned" by some conservative talking head.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Youtube's algo will have alt-right shit in your feed eventually if you watch gaming videos. Even clicking not interested on them and they still pop up here and there.

In the long run Youtube is going to be responsible for the radicalization of millions of young impressionable people.

>__

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
It must have been the salty compilation. The algorithm must be surprisingly good to recognise that phrase.

OP
OP
Nintenleo

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
It must have been the salty compilation. The algorithm must be surprisingly good to recognise that phrase.

Yep, that shit started to pop up exactly after a couple of those compilations. Anyway, thanks everyone for the suggestions. Properly using Youtube (and big internet services in general) is something that should be taught at school all over the world.

SuperBlank

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Now watch antifeminist videos and see if Smash Bros shows up in your recommended.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hardly ever watch YouTube, like maybe once or twice a month, and usually it's a clip posted from here like John Oliver. When I actually go to the YouTube website all my recs are feminists getting owned and sovereign citizen videos. Admittedly I do like the sovereign citizen ones so thanks YouTube for that, and the feminists being owned videos are funny for how ridiculous they are, but I've only watch a couple over the years. Not sure entirely why YouTube thinks I like them but whatever, doesn't bother me. If you don't like it just report it and block it. Seems relatively simple.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
For real, their algorithm sucks. One of my dumbass Republican friends cast a Crowder video to my chromecast without asking and now my YouTube recommendations are nothing but conservative garbage despite me deleting it from my history.

Then again, hard to blame YouTube in your case for identifying you as a fellow gamer who needs to rise up.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Youtube is like "Watched a Pokemon opening? he must LOVE Jordan Peterson"

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Engage more in curating your YouTube recommendations. First, go into your YouTube history and remove videos that you feel might be leading to bad recs. But more importantly, every video that's recommended has an ellipsis on it where you can indicate that you aren't interested. Use this to train YouTube about what you like. I've done this and I never get these kinds of recommendations anymore.

I do this constantly with not much success.
I've even reported scam ads and then gotten served more near-identical ads for the same fake product from the same people.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I'm using the Youtube app on my PS4, I watch one video on Star Wars The Last Jedi and ever since then Gamergate and anti-feminist channels have been part of my recommendations.

Even when I block content it always comes back eventually.

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
There should be settings where you can screen content. At the very least keywords like "react". lol

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah we discussed this on the Offtopic side of era too. A lot of gaming videos will auto thrust you into a sea of Alt Right and Misogynistic recommends. It takes forever to mark them all as not interested and clean your feed too.

It eventually does get better if you are super diligent about marking those videos, but damn it takes a while.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Try watching any Star Wars vid. This shit is way too prevealent on YT
Happens with comics too. Watch an video on the recent Flash or Captain America story arc and next thing you know, you're being recommended vids of some guy complaining about trans representation or whatever.

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
I often click the "not interested" option when i'm recommended something.
Also say the reason "don't like the video" or "i don't like the creator".

I never had these topics be recommended, and games are 90% of my feed.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I generally watch tonnes of gaming videos and YouTube is constantly recommending this type of shit. It's no wonder so many already fragile and insecure gamers get so easily warped into all this shit. I don't know if this issue is because gamers are just inherently drawn to that type of content, hence the recommendations, or if it's something more sinister in the way certain devs at YouTube are prioritising things for intentional impact with this sort of narrative.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
Its not just that; i like watching news bloopers, fail compilations, and sports plays\bloopers and got all this anti-feminist crap as well; YouTube needs to fix this shit.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Yeah if I casually watch video game youtube videos I inevitably get a string of shit lord recommendations.

Deleted member 12009

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My recommendations constantly need to be refreshed and history cleared just to avoid getting spammed with alt-lite trash. Gaming and geek culture YouTube is just garbage.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I watch a fair bit of Youtube (only thing fun at lunchbreak at work that isn't blocked by their filter) and only occasionally get sketchy things in my recommended videos, and even then it's relevant-sketchy (like I'll get an alt-righter but they're a game/movie/geek culture critic and the video is a piece of criticism. Trash but you can at least see how the algorithm got there).

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
I'm using the Youtube app on my PS4, I watch one video on Star Wars The Last Jedi and ever since then Gamergate and anti-feminist channels have been part of my recommendations.

Even when I block content it always comes back eventually.

Star Wars The Last Jedi is quite the catalyst for that shit....

Bulbul

Nov 20, 2017
I wonder if it is from where you are from, I watched like one Smash video and all my recommended list just got full of Smash videos suddenly haha.

crimsonheadGCN

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Clifton, NJ
I don't seem to have that problem too often. I'll get a few right wing videos recommended then I just tell Youtube that I'm not interested and they're gone for a few months.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
YouTube thinks I want to watch some idiot's theory on how Jar Jar Binks is a Sith Lord.

I don't care about Star Wars at all.

Oct 27, 2017
Weird. Watching Smash tourneys just floods my recommendations with more Smash vids.
I wish that was my experience, YouTube is fucked.

I watched some philosophy videos awhile back (like informational on different topics) and then it started linking Sargon of Akkad, "Person OWNS stupid lib" and Jordan Peterson shit for awhile. Watching some simple game review videos or preview vids has linked me to some serious gamergate bullshit in the past too.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Just because you are not a feminist doesn't mean you are an alt-righter. I like how most people on here thinks that.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Me: Watches PotatoMcWhiskey civ6 video
Youtube: You should also watch "Male Privilege Is A Myth"

... I wish I could right-click it and select "nope the fuck out"

YouTube thinks I want to watch some idiot's theory on how Jar Jar Binks is a Sith Lord.

I don't care about Star Wars at all.
Yeah, I've been getting that one too lately.