• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised I'm not seeing a thread on this already:

View: https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1636747504418193408

In practice I doubt this means that much - they are unlikely to actually ever get extradited or arrested - but it limits their travel options.

Edit: CNN source:

www.cnn.com

ICC issues arrest warrant for Putin and Russian official tied to alleged deportation of Ukrainian children

Poland will transfer four of its MiG-29 fighter jets to Ukraine in the coming days, the Polish president said, becoming the first NATO member to fulfill Kyiv's repeated requests for aircraft to counter Russian attacks. Follow here for live updates.

Nov 21, 2017
Holy shit, I know he will never be tried until one of the generals did a coup d'etat and arrested him. I guess he will never be able to travel to other countries.

BUNTING1243

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty funny how powerless the Hauge is for western super powers. The US has plans drawn up to just invade if the ICC ever arrests a US leader

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Now all we have to do is catfish him into flying westward?
Calling Valve

Valve Tried to Trick Half Life 2 Hacker Into Fake Job Interview

After the secret source code for its then-unreleased shooter Half Life 2 showed up on file sharing services in 2003, game-maker Valve Software cooked up an elaborate ruse with the FBI targeting the German hacker suspected in the leak, even setting up a fake job interview in an effort to lure him...

ajoshi

Sep 11, 2021
people already aren't reading the article so they can speedrun their drone comic level takes but this is specifically for deporting tens of thousands of Ukrainian children from murdered/surviving families and resettling them with Russian nationalist freaks. not the worst thing that ever happened in the human experience but so disgusting even within the context of the present war that it did warrant at least some sort of callout, however unenforcable. take the case of that US marine or whatever that stole an Afghan baby from surviving relatives while the case sits in limbo in court, now multiply by 15-20,000x as an act institutionally provided by the state with the full, videotaped celebration of their president (and the woman named in the warrant)

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
The "symbolic" part of this is that a post-Putin world is being put into action.

The post part will most likely be post defenestration/shooting, but you know.

Can we cool the "both-sides" thing, at least until the West starts openly genocidal wars, with the direct aim of annexing a country and destroying its ethnic identity.

Its been a hard 13 months for a few.

Jibberhack

Oct 30, 2017
Can we cool the "both-sides" thing, at least until the West starts openly genocidal wars, with the direct aim of annexing a country and destroying its ethnic identity.

The West only starts genocidal wars to prop up their puppets and steal resources from the global South. We absolutely should not hold our tongues in this regard, especially when it's our tax dollars fueling the bloodshed.

Also, good! Putin shouldn't feel safe anywhere in the world. Not even in Russia

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given Putin is already not listening to worldwide condemnations, what will this do? He's already limited by travel, does this just largely domesticate him to Russia?

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
It is important to note that Putin is a war criminal because of the war crime of unlawful deportation of population (children).
It isn't because of a war against the "west".
A war of aggression is actually not punishable at the ICC.

www.icc-cpi.int

Situation in Ukraine: ICC judges issue arrest warrants against Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin and Maria Alekseyevna Lvova-Belova

Today, 17 March 2023, Pre-Trial Chamber II of the International Criminal Court (“ICC” or “the Court”) issued warrants of arrest for two individuals in the context of the situation in Ukraine: Mr Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin and Ms Maria Alekseyevna Lvova-Belova. Mr Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin...

Statement by Prosecutor Karim A. A. Khan KC

Last edited:

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
He basically can never deal with the West again

yeah this, and its a great thing.

fun anecdote: i remember almost running into him and his entourage in 2011 (iirc) when he was visiting Turku in Finland, he was giving some lame "friendship" speech or something next to some fancy old boats by the seaside, where i was bicycling. my regular route was cut-off because of them snd i was like wtf is this shit, why did someone block this tiny little sidestreet, so i took another street and turned a corner and then noticed him and his security detall etc, almost right in front of me, our city did a shitty job protecting him lol, anyone could have thrown stuff or something. and i had ZERO idea he was even visiting, or would ever visit our city. you could say i was pretty shocked and confused.

im glad i wont see him again heh.

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
He basically can never deal with the West again

This isn't correct at all. 123 countries have signed the treaty establishing the ICC. However, the US, despite being a central force in its creation, didn't sign.

More importantly treaties aren't binding unless they are enforced by another. No one will start a war if a country refuses to arrest Putin.

So this changes nothing for Putin. If he was already welcome, he still is welcome. If he wasn't, he wasn't visiting anyway.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Calling Valve

Valve Tried to Trick Half Life 2 Hacker Into Fake Job Interview

After the secret source code for its then-unreleased shooter Half Life 2 showed up on file sharing services in 2003, game-maker Valve Software cooked up an elaborate ruse with the FBI targeting the German hacker suspected in the leak, even setting up a fake job interview in an effort to lure him...

"Hey Vlad, this is Gabe. Would you like to see Half-life, 3 (minutes before you're arrested…)."

Cana

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Mar 27, 2021
This is great news.

traditionally the ICC has only really been used against African despots which has lead to accusations of the global north using it as a tool of colonization or something along the lines of that. iirc the ICC was also used in the aftermath of the Bosnian crisis so they have gone against Eastern Europe before.

I am not aware of anyone from the West or Asia being tried under the ICC.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Of course he will not get extradited but it's a strong and important signal that the West is done for good with Putler and any version of Russia that he plays a role in.

And it might make the watercooler talk in the Kremlin and some oligarch mansions a bit more spicy.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Hope this doesn't escalate tensions at a time he's shaking hands with Xi / China.

Hope this doesn't escalate tensions at a time he's shaking hands with Xi / China.
and legs

GIF-Putins-jelly-legs.gif

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Of course he will not get extradited but it's a strong and important signal that the West is done for good with Putler and any version of Russia that he plays a role in.

And it might make the watercooler talk in the Kremlin and some oligarch mansions a bit more spicy.

He'll get tried and convicted in absentia.

He still got arrested and put on trial.

It would be nice but I don't even see that much happening to him.

OP
OP
hyouko

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Technically its just with the countries in Green on this map. For example he could still travel to the US just fine without them being obligated to extradite him to the hague.

1024px-ICC_member_states.svg.png
It's probably Europe being almost completely blocked that stings the most for Putin and his oligarch friends here. They have all those properties in London, right?

Pand

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good.

I really wish the US weren't such massive bloody hypocrites about the ICC, the whole "we'll invade you if you dare hold us accountable" shtick marks you as spineless mustache-twirling villians. Not inaccurate, but very unfortunate.