Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree. Ps1 was the best era for jrpgs. These big budget ones are left with no magic. So many good memories back then.

Hibiki

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
This type of game is too rare. I'd love to see a resegence for sure. PS1 era is best era!

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I await the day indie games graduate from 16-bit to this. I would love some FF7/LoD inspired RPGs.

Hell, I'd do it myself if I could. I got some old manuscripts lying around I could probably use for one. How does one assemble an indie team? Semi-joking.

They already graduated from 8 and 16 bit, or rather now 2D and 3D ones happen concurrently.
This is what a random low-budget 3D game looks like nowadays:

hSyoLGY.jpg

So yeah, they pretty much skipped the PS1 era entirely in favor of PS2-PS3 level stuff.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Purely an opinion here, but I don't find the PS1 style low-poly characters paired with pre-rendered backgrounds to be appealing at all. Give me 16 bit style pixel art over that any day of the week.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
But the thing is - those games with pre-rendered backgrounds took a lot of development work (and therefore budget). They were not cheap, as artists had to make all those backgrounds by hand, and since they were all unique and there were hundreds (thousands?) of them I'll wager it was a huge undertaking. We're talking at least an AA budget, and no one's going to risk that on an extremely niche title.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
This pretty much. Pre-rendered backgrounds look awful. There's no way to have characters move on them without looking like they're completely disconnected from the environment (because they are) and the art-style never matches the character rendering. There's a reason why no one uses them anymore: they were a relic of their time and need to buried and forgotten. I'd much rather have VN dialogue screens with background art or sprites on 3D models like how many Nippon Ichi titles work.

I agree for PS1 era FF, the contrast between characters and background looks awful. But I need more Legend Of Mana in my life

legend-of-mana-tree.jpg

legend-of-mana-screen-shot-2017-01-11-12-13-am-2.jpg

gfs_50597_2_2189.jpg

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And I would like a Chrono Trigger sequel made with 2D HD sprites. Hell I'd settle with a style similar to Octopath Traveler too. It's nice to wants things, OP!

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
This would be great. I played through FFVII for first time last year and I was pleased by how evocative and mysterious the prerendered backgrounds felt. Like they're just detailed enough to spark your imagination. Great atmosphere.

Mailbox

Oct 30, 2017
i feel like OP doesn't understand how much those prerendered background cost nor the talent that was involved in making them.

Seriously OP, especially in modern times:

- High detailed prerendered backgrounds to the standard to those made in ps1

- Not AAA budget

pick one.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
i feel like OP doesn't understand how much those prerendered background cost nor the talent that was involved in making them.

Seriously OP, especially in modern times:

- High detailed prerendered backgrounds to the standard to those made in ps1

- Not AAA budget

pick one.

Looks at Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2. Those games didn't have a huge AAA sized budgets and they have beautiful pre-rendered backgrounds.

Chasex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is what Tokyo RPG factory was made for.

OP, have you seen I Am Setsuna or Lost Sphere?

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be okay with this as long as it's in HD with anti aliasing and 60 FPS. The low Polygon count of PS1 era games doesn't bother me but I can't go back to the grainy low res mess. Vita level enhanced PS1 classics are tolerable due to the upscaling and other enhancements but out of the box PS1 and even N64 games look and play like shit.

Last edited:

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
That's what i hoped I Am Setsuna / Lost Sphear would usher us in, but they kinda flopped.

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Making HD prerendered backgrounds for a huge game like an ROG would be quite the expensive endeavour though, especially if prerendering is supposed to come with any advantages here (i.e. more details than in a fully realised 3D environment with static camera). The level of visual fidelity would ensure we're approach quite the big buget, at least in terms of artists, or am I missing something?

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If square ever made a sequel to Chrono Trigger I think this is the style it should be made in

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'd be okay with this as long as it's in HD with anti aliasing and 60 FPS. The low Polygon count of PS1 era games doesn't bother me but I can't go back to the grainy low res mess. Vita level enhanced PS1 classics are tolerable due to the upscaling and other enhancements but out of the box PS1 and even N64 games look and play like shot.
If they play like shot, what difference does a visual enhancement make? And to be clear: I disagree with the jab against how PS1/N64 games play. Many classics like Banjo, F-Zero, Mario, the Zeldas, the Crashs, the FFs or NiGHTS still play fantastic, some of them have yet to be surpassed to this day (in particular: F-Zero X is still the best racing game ever made).

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not every JRPG has to be a massively-budgeted AAA game like Persona 5 or Xenoblade or Final Fantasy XV. If a publisher is willing to make a mid-tier game with a mid-tier budget, they will attract the mid-tier audience who is willing to spend its money on mid-tier games as well as AAA games. This is true for plateformers and roguelites, and I think it's true for JRPGs as well.

Persona 5 pretty much is an example of an AAA PSX era game

looks great, but below the tier of the high tier budget games with an acceptable visual style

bstiernberg

Oct 30, 2017
Would cost too much for the target market.

Doing something in 3D would actually be more efficient and more marketable. A win-win for the dev/pub and for most of the people looking to buy said RPG.

Maybe a really, really small team could try something like this if they really, really kept the scope small, like super small. Nothing on the scale of FF7. And the quality and level of detail wouldn't be there, but, on paper it's conceivable. I just don't see it as a viable enough ROI for a publisher or dev to spend like $10M on such an idea.

I'd be totally down for it though if someone did.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I also miss that a lot. That's why I stopped mainly playing on PS consoles after the second one.

We need games like Radiant Historia but using some more power to look slightly better.
Too bad there aren't that many good examples of games of that type nowadays.

Wouldn't octo path traveler be what your looking for?
It's more of a SNES type of game than PS1... or PS2 (both are also different).
I miss PS1 RPG more than 2, but both are close to extinction.

Far from it. They can hardly be good enough to hold the comparison with snes RPG which they're copying.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they play like shot, what difference does a visual enhancement make? And to be clear: I disagree with the jab against how PS1/N64 games play. Many classics like Banjo, F-Zero, Mario, the Zeldas, the Crashs, the FFs or NiGHTS still play fantastic, some of them have yet to be surpassed to this day (in particular: F-Zero X is still the best racing game ever made).

I meant that in the context of frame rate as that affects gameplay. I have no problem with tank controls and still enjoy playing the likes of FFVII and RE2 but i find them unplayable without enhancements granted by superior technologies like AA, and upscaling so they look decent on HD screens: why anyone want to deliberately emulate a crappy old SD tube tv is beyond me. Even creators would agree that they didn't design their games with unstable frame rates in mind and other visual glitches,

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
What is funny is Battle Chasers (from a non Japanese developer) was much better than either of these games.

I hope more non Square Enix developers give this genre a chance in the next few years.
And Saga Scarlet Grace is at the top of it.
I think it's better than Battle Chasers (which is already very nice) in every way but (arguably) art style/animation. But there also very different in atmosphere, one might appeal to someone while the other wouldn't.
Better balance, challenge, contents...

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

That's what i hoped I Am Setsuna / Lost Sphear would usher us in, but they kinda flopped.
But the backgrounds in those games aren't pre-rendered at all?

Making HD prerendered backgrounds for a huge game like an ROG would be quite the expensive endeavour though, especially if prerendering is supposed to come with any advantages here (i.e. more details than in a fully realised 3D environment with static camera). The level of visual fidelity would ensure we're approach quite the big buget, at least in terms of artists, or am I missing something?
People keep saying this while there are proofs that it's not the case. Low-budget CRPGs (and many other indies/AA games) do use pre-rendered backgrounds which scale up to 4K. The thing is, JRPG devs aren't too fond of that idea anymore, it seems.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Making something that actually looks like one of those PSX games is still bound to be costly, even if it's not FFXV-expensive.

I'd love to know how much Lost Sphere and I Am Setsuna cost to develop relative to the PSX classics. Modern technology and practices can obviously be more cost-efficient, but these games don't strike me as being as asset-dense as the classic PSX games.

brambles13

Oct 27, 2017
I believe that's the whole purpose of S-E forming Tokyo RPG Factory, to make old-school JRPGs on a reasonable budget.

Problem is Lost Sphear is 50 dollars which is insane imo. It's a low budget game with almost a AAA price. I am Setsuna is a little cheaper at 40 but it's been out for 2 years without a permanent discount despite the budget. I would bite on both of these games if they were 20-30 USD but it is very hard to justify any higher than that imo.

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
So an RPG that puts art direction way over graphics technology. Yes please.

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I meant that in the context of frame rate as that affects gameplay. I have no problem with tank controls and still enjoy playing the likes of FFVII and RE2 but i find them unplayable without enhancements granted by superior technologies like AA, and upscaling so they look decent on HD screens: why anyone want to deliberately emulate a crappy old SD tube tv is beyond me. Even creators would agree that they didn't design their games with unstable frame rates in mind and other visual glitches,
Unstable framerates were a problem, but no universal. F-Zero X held a stable 60, Crash and Banjo a stable 30. Disliking the look of mid-90s games is understandable, but this is not a gameplay issue. Which is why I pointed out my issue with the gameplay statement but not with the visuals statement. As an owner of an SDTV, I have no issues with SD graphics though, obvisouly ^^

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Problem is Lost Sphear is 50 dollars which is insane imo. It's a low budget game with almost a AAA price. I am Setsuna is a little cheaper at 40 but it's been out for 2 years without a permanent discount despite the budget. I would bite on both of these games if they were 20-30 USD but it is very hard to justify any higher than that imo.
There have been multiple sales on I Am Setsuna bringing it down between $20-30. The same will happen to Lost Sphear, in time. Personally I had no problem buying either at full price, I don't think the games come close to the true classics in the genre but they are both competent JRPGs and worth the price imo. Plenty of niche publishers sell lower budget, lower quality games for a higher price, but that's because they have a smaller audience and have to get the most out of that audience. It all comes down to what you personally are willing to pay. I won't pay $60 for an Idea Factory RPG (typically I won't even buy them at any price) but some people like those games and will do so, and there is nothing wrong with that. This isn't even a new thing, lower budget games have asked the same price as higher budget games since the video game industry has existed, it's all about whether or not it's worth it to you

Nymphae

Apr 3, 2018
I wish square would stop trying to push tech. Make great 2-D JRPGs again. On Playstation ffs. Square confounds me these days.