kalindana

Oct 28, 2018
www.theguardian.com

Idaho drag performer awarded $1.1m in defamation case against far-right blogger

A blogger falsely claimed Eric Posey exposed himself to a crowd, including children
A jury has awarded more than $1.1m to an Idaho drag performer who accused a far-right blogger of defaming him when she falsely claimed that he exposed himself to a crowd, including children, during a Pride event in June 2022.

The Kootenai county district court jury unanimously found that Summer Bushnell defamed Eric Posey, a resident of Post Falls, Idaho, when she posted a doctored video of his performance that included a blurred spot that she claimed covered his "fully exposed genitals", the Coeur D'Alene Press reported.
In reality the unedited video showed no indecent exposure, and prosecutors declined to file charges.

"The judicial system did what needed to be done," Posey said after the verdict on Friday.

Jurors awarded Posey $926,000 in compensatory damages for defamation. Because Posey proved that Bushnell knew her allegations were false when she made them or that she made the accusations with reckless disregard for the truth, the jury awarded $250,000 in additional punitive damages.
The Pride event made national news at the time – not because of Posey's performances, but because 31 members of a white supremacist group called Patriot Front were arrested nearby and charged with conspiracy to riot.

Bushnell posted a video that day of herself discussing the mass arrest as well as footage from Posey's performance, claiming that the drag queen had "flashed his genitals to minors and people in the crowd" and asking why the performer wasn't arrested.

The next day Bushnell published her edited version of the video, which she obtained from a local videographer. It garnered many thousands of views, sparking national news coverage and a police investigation.
After hearing the verdict, Posey burst into tears and embraced his lawyers and friends.

"The jury's verdict demonstrates a clear message to this community that you have to be truthful," said Wendy Olson, one of his attorneys, the local outlet reported.

Posey said he has faced death threats and harassment, and the edited images became the symbol of a national movement against drag. Experts have warned that false rhetoric against drag queens and LGBTQ+ people may inflame extremists.

Posey said he has been helped by support from his friends.

"Imagine being in a dark hole where you have nobody and you felt the whole world turn their back on you," he said in court last Thursday. "But somehow, you were surrounded by warriors, true people of Idaho – not transplants, true people of this soil. I am fortunate to say I have people like that around me, people that lifted me up."

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Great news, and Posey is incredibly brave for being willing to continue to fight despite what must have felt like an overwhelming barrage of hate.

Although it sucks that they ultimately wouldn't force that lying, white-supremicist-caping shitbird take down her doctored video.

I will never comprehend these wretched indivduals so consumed by their irrational bigotries that they will lie and destroy individual lives in order to advance their agenda of trying to make existence worse for entire groups of already disenfranchised people.

Eegah

Oct 27, 2017
I stand in awe of people that have the absolute gall to make such bold, easy to dispel lies.

Last edited:

slider

Nov 10, 2020
What an awful, awful person.

Not sure how it works practically but hope Bushnell has to pay the entire amount. Get fucked, loser.

Dec 30, 2020
Glad for that outcome, and I hope it absolutely destroys Bushnell. Only sad thing is the damage is done, and the idiots who saw the doctored video don't care to hear anything different.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
0b21c14263afdd6fbc35cc0b7f454280.gif

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
I will never comprehend these wretched indivduals so consumed by their irrational bigotries that they will lie and destroy individual lives in order to advance their agenda of trying to make existence worse for entire groups of already disenfranchised people.
Anything that threatens the gender binary throws a lot of (especially conservative) people in an almost fanatic, maniacal frenzy.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: I'm just gonna calm down now. lol

Glad the person won. Fuck the liar.

Last edited:

Culex

Oct 29, 2017
This will probably force her to file for bankruptcy, thus negating paying. Still a good outcome for such scum.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
ACTUAL MALICE!

I'm always impressed when someone wins a defamation case in the US because the actual malice standard seems really difficult to meet.

That also shows how much this idiot messed up trying to defame this person.

Mar 11, 2020
ACTUAL MALICE!

I'm always impressed when someone wins a defamation case in the US because the actual malice standard seems really difficult to meet.

That also shows how much this idiot messed up trying to defame this person.
Yeah, i'm actually not sure how they won cause it's so hard to prove that intent if someone only has that intent in their head and just lies about it. Maybe her saying she never actual saw him expose himself was the key point when she was on the stand. I'm actually curious how they proved that. Without written or recorded proof that shit is near impossible.

Very glad they won though. Make an example of this shit.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing they were able to prove that she's the one that put the blur on the video knowing full well there was nothing underneath it, so any statements she made about it where thus proven to be "knowingly false". Otherwise it's not hard to get these people to admit, even on the stand, how they really feel about gays and drag queens. Put two and two together and it seems pretty easy to demonstrate malice.

If anything, the punishment's too light. Too bad such things are only civil and not criminal. Six months in a federal prison on top of the fines might actually make her think "oh, maybe I shouldn't have done that". I guarantee she still doesn't think what she did was wrong.

Boondocks

Nov 30, 2020
NE Georgia USA
I'm guessing they were able to prove that she's the one that put the blur on the video knowing full well there was nothing underneath it, so any statements she made about it where thus proven to be "knowingly false". Otherwise it's not hard to get these people to admit, even on the stand, how they really feel about gays and drag queens. Put two and two together and it seems pretty easy to demonstrate malice.

If anything, the punishment's too light. Too bad such things are only civil and not criminal. Six months in a federal prison on top of the fines might actually make her think "oh, maybe I shouldn't have done that". I guarantee she still doesn't think what she did was wrong.
She only got $13,000 on GiveSendGo which is way too much. She has been called out by local schools and libraries for posting lies. I imagine she will file bankruptcy like all the Maga freaks when they are held responsible for their lies..