• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
  • Hakuoki Shinkai: Fuukaden for Nintendo Switch (September 6) – Includes both Hakuoki: Kyoto Winds and Hakuoki: Edo Blossoms.
  • Code: Realize ~Bouquet of Rainbows~ (September 13) – Includes both Code: Realize ~Guardian of Rebirth~ and Code: Realize ~Future Blessings~.
  • Nil Admirari no Tenbin: Irodori Nadeshiko (2018) – Includes both Nil Admirari no Tenbin: Teito Genwaku Kitan and Nil Admirari no Tenbin: Kuroyuri Enyoutan.
  • Cendrillon palikA (2018) – PS Vita version cancelled.
  • Shiritsu Verbara Gakuen: Versailles no Bara Re*imagination
  • Norn9: Norn + Nonette LOFN for Nintendo Switch
  • Amnesia for Nintendo Switch
  • Reine des Fleurs for Nintendo Switch
  • Birushanah Senki: Genpeiden
  • Sengoku Night Blood
  • LoverPretend – Produced by Ichijoo.
  • Hakuoki New Title
http://www.otomate.jp/ns/

https://gematsu.com/2018/05/idea-factory-switch-otome-visual-novels-trailer-website-opened
https://gematsu.com/2018/05/hakuoki-shinkai-fuukaden-coming-to-switch-on-september-6-in-japan
https://gematsu.com/2018/05/code-re...a-and-nil-admirari-no-tenbin-coming-to-switch
https://gematsu.com/2018/05/new-hak...-factory-otome-visual-novels-coming-to-switch

Well this is by far the largest amount of Idea Factory games for a Nintendo system since DS. There's also Brave Neptunia as well which makes at least 5 games so far.

Very interesting turn around. I wonder when they'll start releasing their major games on Switch. Brave Neptunia is still a western-developed spin-off and not something like Megadimension Neptunia VII or something.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017
Nice, hopefully this helps drive more Switch adoption by women. Last I checked, Switch ownership is still heavily skewed male, relative to the other major consoles

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
It's not that surprising. 1 the vita is nearly dead and these games are going to need a new portable home. And 2, switch is selling very well. I expect to see more ports of these games, leading to switch being included for newer releases.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
It's not that surprising. 1 the vita is nearly dead and these games are going to need a new portable home. And 2, switch is selling very well. I expect to see more ports of these games, leading to switch being included for newer releases.
That's exactly what I'm hoping for. The Switch to me is still what the Vita should've been so more Vita ports are very welcome.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, hopefully this helps drive more Switch adoption by women. Last I checked, Switch ownership is still heavily skewed male, relative to the other major consoles

Are otomes really played by women? Despite being targetted at a female audience, I feel like (at least in the west) the fanbase is nevertheless predominately male.

Nov 3, 2017
Are otomes really played by women? Despite being targetted at a female audience, I feel like (at least in the west) the fanbase is nevertheless predominately male.

Stuff that breaks into the mainstream like Hatoful Boyfriend probably have a pretty large male player base, but I can't imagine stuff like Voltage phone games or even Hakuoki having a particularly large male fanbase.

Kizuna

Oct 27, 2017
Great to see some visual novels coming to the Switch. Not interested in otome myself, but hopefully this is a sign of other things to come.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This has nothing to do with Neptunia games. It's just that the Vita was great for otome games and they need to go to a new portable to make money. Compile Heart is making exclusives games for PS4, not even PSV.

Of course they are. It's usually a female character being loved by a bunch of cool sexy dudes.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, they apparently haven't released a single title for a Nintendo console or portable for over 10 years now.

What a big shift

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
gBEpswz.gif

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I'd like to see otome games keep getting released for the Vita, I knew this was going to happen eventually. As a big otome fan and someone that bought every single D3 Publisher otome releases for the Switch, I'll probably continue to buy these on the Switch.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
I've always wanted to try a visual novel but I could never pick one. Any recommendations on Switch? I'm more eyeing 5pb's lot and I'm hoping we get their veteran line-up like Robotics;Notes on Switch. Steins;Gate Elite using the anime is awkward and sadly doesn't interest me.

Maybe I'll give an Ace Attorney on 3DS a shot, might be the ideal entry game.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Where's Oregano? Dude doubted Switch would get the Vita developers/games since day one.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Time to pick up Japanese lessons again.

I've always wanted to try a visual novel but I could never pick one. Any recommendations on Switch? I'm more eyeing 5pb's lot and I'm hoping we get their veteran line-up like Robotics;Notes on Switch. Steins;Gate Elite using the anime is awkward and sadly doesn't interest me.

Do you speak Japanese or are you looking for localized versions only?
And yes, Ace Attorney or 999 are great gateways into visual novels.
Currently on Switch Detention, Another Lost Phone and Wheels of Aurelia stand out, but there's a much bigger and better selection on Vita or PC if these are options for you.
Steins;Gate requires lots of patience, as it takes a long while to get good (it does get really good), so it might not be a good starting point. I really am not enjoying the sequel though and haven't read the other 5pb games.

Since you are in the Otome thread, Hakuoki is a great one and got ported to literally anything (and soon Switch too it seems). It's quite wordy and sombre, but a great read overall. Alternatively, Code Realize is a bit more zany and fun and doesn't overstay it's welcome too much in comparison. They are quite tame, so nothing embarrassingly sexual going on except for that one picture in CR where you see someone's butt, and one route in Hakuoki that actually has sex in it (it's not very detailed at all and fits well within the relationship story).
There's uncomfortable stuff in both, but unfortunately healthy relationships without drama or kinks seem to not make for good romance sim stuff, so you'll usually only have one or two friendly routes like that overall in these games. It's still a video game made to entertain.
You can find good recommendations in the Otome thread over in the Community section, the good localized stuff in that genre can be counted on one hand unfortunately.

Edit: Just saw that Nil Admirari no Tenbin is in there. I need this localized, heeeelp. The Anime just started airing too!!!

Last edited:
May 9, 2018

Haven't played any Switch otomes yet but Ace Attorney is an excellent place to start for VNs. If you already think you'll be into it, go for it.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Updated list of Visual Novels released/announced for Switch.

Name - Genre - Languages - Release date - Trailer

Released

Rei-Jin-G-Lu-P - Horror, Mystery - Japanese - 08/03/17 - Trailer
J.B. Harold: Murder Club - Detective, Investigation - Japanese - 08/10/17 - Trailer
J.B. Harold: Manhattan Requiem - Detective, Investigation - English, Japanese - 10/26/17 - Trailer
Wheels of Aurelia - Western, Driving, Road Trip - Multi-5 - 11/02/17 - Trailer
The Men of Yoshiwara: Kikuya - Otome, Romance - English, Japanese - 02/01/18 - Trailer
Dear My Abyss - Horror - Japanese - 02/22/18 - Trailer
The Men of Yoshiwara: Ohgiya - Otome, Romance - English, Japanese - 03/08/18 - Trailer
The Charming Empire - Otome, Romance - English, Japanese - 03/29/18 - Trailer
Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm - Romance, Drama - Japanese - 03/29/18 - Trailer
Ayakashi Koi Gikyoku - Otome, Music - Japanese - 04/26/18 - Trailer
Buddy Collection if -Shukumei no Akai Ito- - Mystery, Otome - Japanese - 04/26/18 - Trailer
J.B. Harold: Kiss of Murder - Detective, Investigation - Japanese - 05/03/18 - Trailer

Announced
2064: Read Only Memories Integral - Western, Cyberpunk, Detective - English, Japanese - Soon - Trailer
Ace Attorney - Investigation, Trial - Japanese - TBD
Amnesia - Otome, Romance, Drama - Japanese - TBD
ANONYMOUS;CODE - Hacker, Time Travel - Japanese - TBD - Trailer
Birushanah Senki: Genpeiden - Otome - Japanese - TBD
Boku no Kanojo wa Ningyo Hime!? - Romance, Mermaid - Japanese - TBD
Cendrillon palikA - Otome, Fairy Tail - Japanese - TBD
Closed Nightmare - Live Action, Horror - Japanese - 07/19/18 - Trailer
Code: Realize ~Bouquet of Rainbows~ - Otome, Steampunk - Japanese - TBD
Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai: Library Party - Comedy, School Life - Japanese - 07/26/18 - Trailer
Death Mark - Horror, Detective - Japanese - 06/28/18 - Trailer
Ghostpia - Friendship - Japanese - TBD - Trailer
Hakuoki Shinkai: Fuukaden - Otome, Samurai, Feudal Era - Japanese - TBD
Hakuoki new game - Otome, Samurai, Feudal Era - Japanese - TBD
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Hou - Thriller, Friendship - Japanese - 07/26/18 - Trailer
Jake Hunter Detective Story: Prism of Eyes - Detective, Investigation - Japanese - 08/09/18
Kitsune ga Boku o Matte Iru - Romance, Foxgirl - Japanese - TBD
Mayonaka Garan (Midnight Cathedoral) - 3D, Fantasy, Suspense - Japanese - TBD
Necrobarista - Supernatural, Suspense - English - TBD - Trailer
Nekopara - Romance, Dating Sim - Japanese - Q3 2018
New Lover Pretend - Otome - Japanese - TBD
NG - Horror, Detective - Japanese - 08/09/18
Nil Admirari no Tenbin: Irodori Nadeshiko - Otome, Romance, Fantasy - Japanese - TBD
Norn9 ~Norn + Nonette~ - Otome, Superpower, Fantasy - Japanese - TBD
Okuri Inu - Mystery, Horror - Japanese - TBD - Trailer
Reine des Fleurs - Otome, Knights, Drama - Japanese - TBD
Sengoku Night Blood - Otome, Romance, Fantasy - Japanese - TBD
Shiritsu Versailles Gakuen - Otome, Romance, Historical - Japanese - TBD
Song of Memories - Romance, Music - English, Japanese - H2 2018 - Trailer
Steins;Gate Elite - Time Travel, Suspense - English, Japanese - H2 2018 - Trailer
World End Syndrome - Mystery, Romance - Japanese - Summer 2018 - Trailer
YU-NO - Fantasy, Mystery - Japanese - TBD

Last edited:

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lol I didn't read until now that they canceled a Vita title.

Switch carrying the handheld torch.