• Yep.

Votes: 149 61.8%
  • Nope.

Votes: 92 38.2%

• Total voters

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not that surprising because I take care of my son for half of the day then work a full time job after that, but it's been a couple of years now that I'm almost falling asleep at work every single day. But even when my wife and kid are away and I have as long as I want to rest, I still feel really sleepy at some point during the day, usually around 5 p.m. If I power through that one to two hours of sleepiness though, I'm fine until like 4 a.m. if I need to.

So, basically I'm like my parents now. They used to take a nap every day when I was a kid and I thought that was such an "old people" thing.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Naps are really bad for your sleep schedule and, by extension, your overall health. Go to bed a bit earlier or sleep in the next day, but I always advise people to do whatever they can to avoid completely disrupting their circadian rhythm like that.

The best thing to do when feeling sleepy is to find some sort of mentally stimulating activity, anything at all, to occupy yourself for an hour or two. It should pass, unless you legitimately got like one hour of sleep the night before.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah some days a 2pm nap would be sick, I love when I'm home to indulge and recharge. Even just 20 minutes can be amazing.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
i'd rather not take a nap but im stuck in a vicious cycle of napping -> not getting enough sleep at night -> napping because I didn't get enough sleep -> not getting enough sleep at night -> napping, etc etc

also they just generally make me feel like I'm wasting the day so ideally I wouldn't take them lol

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I hate naps, I feel more tired after waking up from one and I feel like I wasted a good chunk of the day if I do take one.

I prefer to just go to bed at night and get a good straight 6 to 8 hours of sleep.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
I suck at napping. I'll wake up 4 hours later more tired than I was when I fell asleep, but also unable to go back to sleep.

OP
OP
Jon Carter

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Naps are really bad for your sleep schedule and, by extension, your overall health. Go to bed a bit earlier or sleep in the next day, but I always advise people to do whatever they can to avoid completely disrupting their circadian rhythm like that.

The best thing to do when feeling sleepy is to find some sort of mentally stimulating activity, anything at all, to occupy yourself for an hour or two. It should pass, unless you legitimately got like one hour of sleep the night before.

The National Sleep Foundation says napping is not a problem if it's short.

Debunking Sleep Myths: Does Napping During the Day Affect Your Sleep at Night?

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love a good nap - either the "I've got 30 minutes left of my lunch break at work, let me squeeze one in" type, or the luxurious "it's the weekend and I've got nothing to do, let's go all out." Like, I need ~10 hours of sleep to really feel 100% recharged, though, so I'll take whatever sleep I can.

Overnapping is the worst feeling, though. Like, when it slips into 4-5 hours and it completely throws you off.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have an alarm and take a 30 minute nap after lunch when I can. It's the best.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Most days, no. Some days, I might micro-nap and doze off for a few minutes. Other days, I'll take a half hour nap.

If I end up sleeping longer, then I fuck around until I'm the proper amount of tired and then go to sleep instead of trying to abide by my normal time.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Some days ya just need one.

It's wild to me that some of ya'll do sub-1 hour naps, though. If I tried that, I'd feel immediately like shit after waking up from one of those.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
I take naps too much and for too long. It's probably not good for me but I'm stuck in this cycle.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
My ideal would be sleeping like 5 hours, then being up for 1-2 hours, then sleeping another 5 hours. When I have many days off in a row where I have no obligations/alarms, this is the pattern my body falls into. So that's like an anti nap.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Napping is the greatest thing in my adult life. I just overdo it and it can sometimes mess with my actual night sleep.

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
My sleep schedule due to working third shift and my classes being in the mornings means I nap a lot. I would absolutely love if I could get a normal sleep schedule and not have to nap anymore, but it's the only way I can get through the week.

5 pm if you have a normal sleep schedule is pretty late, though tbh.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
I don't need a nap but I do greatly enjoy my Saturday afternoon naps when I can get them. It's not necessarily that I need the extra sleep (I typically get at least 7 hours every night) but it's more of a relaxation me time type of thing.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
ideally, I do not need a nap

in reality, I need a 3 hour nap every day to get anything done. and even then I'm tired. but without it i'm a fucking zombie

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
Best thing I ever started doing was taking a nap at lunch. Just 30 min of closed eyes and I feel refreshed and ready for the rest of the day.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I get tired for a nap around 1-3pm usually. I've also been having an issue with workouts where I need to take a nap afterwards to recover.

My naps always last exactly two hours. I don't even need to set an alarm or anything because of it. It kinda weirds me out tbh.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I rarely feel better when I wake up on the rare occasions I do fall asleep during the day, I try to avoid it if possible. With kids it's not always possible lol

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
The trick with naps is that they need to be short, like 30-45 min tops, so you won't wake up groggy. Don't get me wrong, I love snoozing for 3 hrs on a Saturday afternoon too, but that's really not a nap - that's just sleeping during the day, lol.

OP
OP
Jon Carter

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I don't get it either. You can't feel rested without at least a few hours, but then your nighttime sleep schedule gets messed up. I've never understood napping.

Yesterday I took a 30-min nap and I felt fine afterwards. Today I just decided to lie down, close my eyes and relax for 20 min and I felt better as well. Sometimes I just really struggle to keep my eyes open and a short nap solves the problem.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
My brain wont let me anymore.

I used to be able to after school though back in the day.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
The real answer is that ideally you're getting enough sleep in a block to not need a nap. The reality is that a lot of people can't due that do to life circumstances, work schedules, or health issues. So often enough a nap is better than powering through the day on insufficient sleep.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Once I'm up, I'm up. If I fall asleep before normal bedtime it's only because I didn't get enough sleep the night before or the day has been especially exhausting.