vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
It comes up all the time that some people feel Sony's major titles all feel and look the same (NOTE: I DO NOT BELIEVE THIS AT ALL), so my question is what sort of games does everyone want to see them produce next gen? Are there certain IP's you'd like to see return to diversify the lineup? Different genres that you feel specific studios would excel at?

I know Shawn Layden stated that as a platform holder they don't want to step on the toes of a lot of the 3rd parties out there by competing with them, and I agree it's a great strategy to fill in the gaps with their own content. So what gaps are the 3rd parties leaving that Sony can fill?

I wouldn't mind some fun racing games. I never played Motorstorm on PS3 but something like that on next gen could be absolutely amazing. I'd also like to see some more platformers from Sony. They've got a decent selection already, but I think they could build something truly special given their talent. Maybe less Knack and more Astro Bot, just give it a decent budget and throw some manpower behind it.

That said, I also hope Sony keeps doing exactly what they're doing now. Truly epic single player games with no microtransaction bullshit is probably going to be even more scarce come next gen and I hope Sony pushes that even harder.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Give the Japan Studio Naughty Dogs budget and watch them go wild. Give ND Japan Studios budget and watch them adapt.

Also, more smaller games like Fat Princess and the Pixeljunks. Those were the PS3s secret weapon and missing from this gen.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I don't think we need to entertain the opinions of a small handful of delusional people.
(I have seriously never heard anyone say this btw)

Sony should keep doing what they're doing because it's obviously working.
(Except the whole cross-platform thing)

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Nah. Keep doing what they're doing. It's always a loud minority that make it seem worse than what it is. Sony has a formula that's working so why change it?

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Give me a MP focused game, preferably an FPS. Its a valid complaint that the majority of their games are now 3rd Person.

Reboot Resistance. Give me a first person (or even third) in Russia during initial Chimera outbreak. Small tight engaged firefights with horrifying enemies. Or reboot Killzone and give me the first war, go the opposite of Resistance and large scale invasion ala KZ2 but with Next Gen CPUs

Resistance and Killzone didn't fail because they were bad, they failed because Sony exclusives didn't get the respect nor the marketing they needed.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
Even if it has small truth to it, with third party publishers moving to mostly multiplayer GaaS, it doesn't actually matter.

Their games are important to the industry and they should keep doing what they do best.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Whats with the defense force, seriously, nobody is saying to stop making the games you love, just get a new studio or team to try something new. Do we really need Days Gone 2?

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How are Sony games the same anyway? I saw a picture before of Sony games having the same 3rd person camera and a strong focus on narrative. It's like we're complaining that Bethesda games are all the same because they're in first person mostly.

How are LittleBigPlanet, Puppeteer, The Last Guardian, Gran Turismo, Uncharted, Killzone, Resistance, Driveclub, Motorstorm, God of War, Horizon, The Last of Us, Warhawk, Twisted Metal, Infamous, Siren... and others the same?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Sprite based JRPG's should make a comeback. Some good AA turn based games would be nice; don't let Nintendo and Valve keep them all.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
These games are incredibly successful and more varied than people make them out to be.

I would personally love another platformer.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't see them as the same

However one thing all AAA devs need to do is, kill the stealth bush

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I want them to bring back Ape Escape, or at least a similarly ambitious 3D platformer.

The PS4 is the Sony console I've bought the least amount of first party games for. Bloodborne, The Last Guardian and Gravity Rush 2 are the only real standouts to me. Yet to play Horizon and God of War but I don't expect to like them as much as others have.

sbkodama

Oct 28, 2017
I don't want a change in the games produced, but I am really tired of the over the shoulder camera in third person game, if you really aim for cinematic feeling improve it, especially during locomotion where it's often so bland.

kenta

Oct 25, 2017
I think it was pretty smart of them to pursue the kind of deals that produced stuff like Bloodborne and Street Fighter V... Instead of trying to build teams and studios to follow a trend in a genre that they're not familiar with, I think it's preferable to reach out and partner with/fund studios that know what they're doing already. There's a bit less of a risk on Sony's part, and the lineup gets a bit more diversified

As for the kind of games I'd personally like to see... Driving games (outside of Gran Turismo) keep eluding them. I wish we could go back in time and grab the Criterion team from the Burnout Paradise era

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
IMO, double down. They've cultivated quite a fanbase of "Sony games", no need to branch out when 3rd parties will fill in the rest.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sony serves a particular (massive) niche on their platform that nobody else does. The only thing they "need" to do is allow their Japanese developers to get on the same level as their Western branches.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
They need a fighting game studio. I mean, not really, because Playstations attract all the fighting games, but that would def be out the box for them.

PS All Stars don't count.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
make a new parappa the rapper you dense motherfuckers

like how much does it seriously cost to make a rhythm game where the characters are 2D cutouts and the graphics are intentionally cheap? shit like tearaway gets two chances to flop but the best they can do for parappa is an upres'd psp port with the same timing issues it had 12 years ago? fuck off sony

Last edited:

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I'd love to see Sony make high budget fighting game, RPG (preferably JRPG), and mid budget party game and maybe sports game other than baseball. like make a skateboarding game or anime boxing game or something.

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
Bring back some of their last gen IP's.

PS3 era forced Sony to take creative risks, and as a result they produced some of their finest work. It'd be nice to see some of their lesser selling but high quality gems (ModNation, Twisted Metal, War/Starhawk, PSASBR, Puppeteer) get shot with a bigger audience.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Whats with the defense force, seriously, nobody is saying to stop making the games you love, just get a new studio or team to try something new. Do we really need Days Gone 2?
Reality is now being a defense force? Come on now. Maybe, just maybe people say this isn't true because it isn't?

Hell you don't even need to leave the "third person cinematic" category to prove how dumb the accusation that all of their games are the same. God of War, Gravity Rush 2, Days Gone, The Last Guardian, and Detroit. What do any of these have in common other than a camera angle? Not much, so it's silly to blame "fanboys" or whatever the hell when they have plenty of variety as is.

HussiZooT

Beware the Monkey's Paw
Nov 16, 2017
They don't need to change anything that's working so well in their favour.

The only things lacking, as many have said already, are:

A good FPS game. Either go with a new Killzone, a new Resistance or heck make a new game altogether.

A good arcade racing game. We had Motorstorm last gen but this gen we have nothing of the likes. Sony doesn't even have a game to counter Microsoft's FH series.

A better platformer thank Knack. (But at least they tried with this and we did get Ratchet & Clank)

And as someone suggested, give a bigger budget to Japan studios maybe? Or London studios...

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
More resources towards MP games, means less resources towards SP games. We have so many MP focused FPS games out there, so I'd rather not see them doing another one.

Gonna have to disagree. I think a new SOCOM or Warhawk would do really well. It's really the only area Sony's 1st party lacks.

EDIT; They also lack an answer to FH. Every ground would be covered if they did these 2 things. It would give more options to Playstation only players.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
If you don't believe it then why did you make a thread about it, OP?

Surely, all you're doing is feeding into the bogus, and ridiculously reductive narrative.

If you wanted to discuss what other genres of game Sony could focus on next-gen then you could have framed your OP that way without the idiotic narrative, as now all you're gonna get is post after post decrying the shitty premise in the thread title and very little of the actual discussion you're looking for.

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
That meme picture was the start of this. This one is better.

F7181_B58_6_D47_4397_97_DD_855428_DCD1_DD.jpg

Nov 4, 2017
I think the only one that really is guilty of making the same thing over and over is Naughty Dog. Like, we get it. It's good, but do something different already. How many times can you make a TPS with the same art style and realistic focus, with light stealth? It's been the same game remixed over and over for two generations now.

Most of the other Sony studios have branched out substantially more. Sucker Punch, Quantic Dream, Guerilla, Sony Bend, Japan Studios and on and on.

I'm simply tired of Naughty Dog being so predictable. I think it's kind of an easy way out to just go for realism every single time. I admire what God of War accomplished a lot more. It didn't hold back on the gameplay ideas, and it built up multiple interesting fantasy worlds.