• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Avengers is this years biggest movie by a huge margin. If on May 30th it hit all digital release platforms for $10 rent $20 purchase how much do you think it would do.

Surely a release window close to box office launch is optimum for sales? We don't live in the 90s anymore digital platforms can upload a release and have millions watching it within moments.

I'm just curious, Why isn't this a done thing. Waiting for all hype do die away for 3 month then slipping a bluray out seems like an awful way to sell something

The way I see this is

Movie is shown at the Box Office for 1 Month (4 Weeks)
Movie gets digital home release as soon as it finishes it's 4 week box office run

Am I missing some major pothole here? Why wouldn't this be successful? My GF hates the cinema she finds it loud, boring and uncomfortable. However it doesn't ruin her interest in movies she is just sat wating for 3 months to finally watch it avoiding spoilers and any discussion with freinds or co-workers. I'm sure plenty of people like her exist.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
$20 is too cheap. Black Panther is already $20 for pre-ordering on digital stores. Any current run movie would have to be much more expensive for the advance purchase.

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Movie theaters won't play films unless the company agrees to delay home release (typically 90 days). If Disney owned its own line of theaters they could choose to do that but if they want to be in AMC/Regal they need to either play ball or use their market power to force the change. Since there is no guarantee they'd make more why risk it?

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Avengers is this years biggest movie by a huge margin. If on May 30th it hit all digital release platforms for $10 rent $20 purchase how much do you think it would do.

Surely a release window close to box office launch is optimum for sales? We don't live in the 90s anymore digital platforms can upload a release and have millions watching it within moments.

I'm just curious, Why isn't this a done thing. Waiting for all hype do die away for 3 month then slipping a bluray out seems like an awful way to sell something

The way I see this is

Movie is shown at the Box Office for 1 Month (4 Weeks)
Movie gets digital home release as soon as it finishes it's 4 week box office run

Am I missing some major pothole here? Why wouldn't this be successful? My GF hates the cinema she finds it loud, boring and uncomfortable. However it doesn't ruin her interest in movies she is just sat wating for 3 months to finally watch it avoiding spoilers and any discussion with freinds or co-workers. I'm sure plenty of people like her exist.
Your premise is flawed. They would want $40 rent and wouldn't even be an own option.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
Because then it will be everywhere and a lot of people would just download it for free.

And maybe that a digital purchase most likely means a lot of people will watch from one purchase.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
The movie will still be in theaters at that point, more money is to be made that way. Also, theaters make more money per showing the longer a movie is in theaters (they make almost nothing the first couple weeks), so they would very much be against any move of accelerating digital release.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Also, the studios were pushing for 17 days with a $30 rental at one point. I don't know how those negotiations are going.

OP
OP
Stalker

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dollar values are off, I'm British. Sorry.

I was trying for something like $14 rent $28 own figure.

I mean people would pirate it was too much

This happens as soon as a movie goes Home release anyway. Sure you could say it would stop people attending the cinema but I feel the experiences are different. A month earlier and the big screen experience etc

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It would tank theatrical sales as well as be a huge boost to piracy. It's a lose/lose situation. Also, we used to have to wait a year for movies to come out on home media. It's lightning-fast now in comparison - Jumanji was still hanging on at the BO when it came out on digital and Black Panther's about to do the same thing.

Shadowrun

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, in the theaters, one ticket is one person sees the film. Sales are directly one to one. However, the minute you make it available for home viewing, one purchase can be seen by an unlimited amount of people, not counting repeat viewings. Studios would be leaving a shitton of money on the table if they released a home option a month later, unless they priced it accordingly to mitigate risks which would mean prohibitive pricing. And none of that even broaches the piracy topic. In short, one month later is dumb.

The window from theater to home video has really shrunken over the years anyway. It's basically 3-3.5 months now, which is totally fine.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It would be really dumb for them to do that. People are going to buy it later anyway.

Tesseract

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
i think it's bullshit that movies aren't released on all platforms simultaneously

why do i wanna go to the theater when i got an amazing 4k tv at home

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
I can maybe understand renting the movie as soon as they leave theatres.. but something like Black Panther is still in theatres and is still making money.

infiniteloop

Oct 25, 2017
I would play up to $50 to rent new in theatre movies at home. With little kids it's difficult to get stuff arranged to get to the theatre.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just curious, Why isn't this a done thing.
After 4 weeks low cost cinemas and Airlines have some kind of deal.
Then Bluray/DVD.

i think it's bullshit that movies aren't released on all platforms simultaneously

why do i wanna go to the theater when i got an amazing 4k tv at home
$10 popcorn for pennies worth of corn and oil
$5 Coke for pennies worth of water and corn syrup

That's how they roll

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Piracy is still a very real thing. As soon as a high quality rip hits a lot of people just do that instead no of going to the theater. It would cost them money, not make them money.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
true but some of us do, why should we have to wait

and besides you can get a really nice and big 1080p tv for a few hundred now days

Because then the movie theater industry won't get enough money as it could get. Black Panther is still in theaters and making money. I'm sure Infinity War will be the same case. If you want to see it, then going to the theater is the price you pay for it. If not, wait a few months for it to come out on Blu Ray or however you see it.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
Movie theaters won't play films unless the company agrees to delay home release (typically 90 days). If Disney owned its own line of theaters they could choose to do that but if they want to be in AMC/Regal they need to either play ball or use their market power to force the change. Since there is no guarantee they'd make more why risk it?
i wonder if the numbers are being crunched on whether earlier digital home release would be worth it if Disney bought out a national theater chain and had Disney movies exclusive to those screens.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
I would play up to $50 to rent new in theatre movies at home. With little kids it's difficult to get stuff arranged to get to the theatre.
That's what studios are considering. It would be $50 plus you would need to purchase some kind of DRM box. The problem is most consumers really won't pay the costs so they never roll anything out.