• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

If Batman and Spider-Man traded cities for one month, which city would see crime go down more?

• Gotham City

Votes: 265 41.6%
  • New York

Votes: 224 35.2%
  • Crime would go up in both

Votes: 66 10.4%
  • No effect in either way

Votes: 82 12.9%

• Total voters

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Batman would get fucked if they swapped cities. Most of Batman's villains are dudes with a gimmick. Spider-Mans city is filled with jerks fuelled by super powers.

At the end of the day in both universes every character survives because the plot demands it.

Spider-Man isn't bulletproof. Even with his spidersenses there're instances where he was shot and nearly killed. Same goes for Batman and every other non-bulletproof character.

RudiJ

Oct 28, 2017
I actually think the biggest thing here is that assuming Peter is in Gotham away from all his responsibilities and loved ones, half his issues are solved for him.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
you mean Spidey in a universe without his only true weakness? Aunt May? The one living thing that holds him back?

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
There's no way Batman cuts out the crime in NYC. Batman isn't used to running around a city that is full of a majority of the supers, both hero and villain. These people in NYC aren't gonna give a shit some Daredevil wannabe (In their eyes) is taking the place of Spider-Man. Heck, that's just going to make them all go nuts and try shit. Not that Batman wouldn't be able to handle himself, but I don't see him making any large difference and Spidey's Rogue Gallery pretty much all being supers would pose a problem, that he would inevitably find a solution for.

Spidey, on the other hand, also wouldn't make a dent in Gotham's crime either. As many have said, Gotham is basically fucking cursed. I don't care he has superpowers, he's going to treat Batman's Rogue Gallery with kid gloves like he does any other non-super. From a purely physical standpoint, he could certainly take them out much quicker than Batman, but I don't see it really making a difference. Most of Batman's villains aren't necessarily problems from a physical standpoint like Spider-Man's are. They're psychological, but the thing is, Spidey deals with that too, so he would also find a solution.

Assuming we're talking about Spidey and Bats that both have years of experience under their belts and aren't just starting out as well.

D.Dragoon

Mar 2, 2018
This is all plot armor non sense, it all depends on the writer but it's as fun as debating I guess.

vaderise

Oct 30, 2017
Antalya / Turkey
Some of y'all underestimating Peter's genius.

Also, Peter's a dude who deals with complete maniacs all the time. Norman, Cletus, Kraven, Electro and Mysterio. Otto. All are fucking lunatics and also above the power level of %99 of Batman's rogue gallery.

Imagine what would Batman do against Mysterio. Or even against Rhino. Dude got stomped by Bane.

Spidey has the brains. Not Batman level brains but he still has plenty of em. Plus he has Spider-Sense, web stuff and more.

Never underestimate Peter Parker. Dude's just too good of a super hero.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Spider-Man doesn't go all in on organized crime and Batman doesn't have as many big superpowers enemies. He also keeps organized crime in control through fear. Weird to see people voting for Spidey improving Gotham. I feel like the supervillains would actually benefit from Pete. He'd take down a few but the more low key ones would become stronger.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Crime would probably go down in NYC, but Bruce would end up dead. Spidey villains are no fucking joke.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
If we're talking crime as in "regular crime" and not "super crime", which would be crime committed by all the NYC supervillains and Gotham loons, I think Batman might have a greater impact. A month ultimately isn't a very long time, so "super crime" would probably stay about the same, as I doubt that's an every day event.

I imagine that Wayne Enterprises would also have a branch in NYC, so Batman's equipment wouldn't be limited to just whatever gadgets he happened to bring with him´. That would allow him to handlet supervillains, too, although it may take him longer to take them out than it would for Spidey. Maybe you could count that as "super crime" going up in NYC?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Batman would require prep time for most of Spider-Man's enemies. Also few if any are mortal men.

Spider-Man would be fucking up Batman's entire rogues gallery from the jump. What's that? You have a gun and a coin? Good luck. Oh damn, an UMBRELLA gun? That's crazy. Damn, you a ninja? Good thing he doesn't have any kind of sense that would render that entirely useless

Azzazel

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people talking about Spidey as if he's a child that can't handle psychological warfare lol.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
I reckon Peter could lose his mind a little if Joker started a very big killing spree. Basically, the gloves are off with Peter if he dilly dallies too much. Otherwise he'd probably clean up and bring light back to the city.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Crime in Gotham would increase because Spider-Man would be dead in a week.

Crime in New York would increase because Batman doesn't have the mobility of Spider-Man so wouldn't be able to stop all the little crimes that go on whilst he's busy.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Every Arkham game would be easy mode if I get to play as Spidey as he is in the PS4 game.

Spider-Man PS4 with Batman would be harder than Tactical Challenge 6.

This is the only logic we should be allowed to use.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are so many different versions and stories of Batman and Spider-Man that the only answer to this question is 'whatever the person answering the question wants to happen'.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Crime in Gotham would increase because Spider-Man would be dead in a week.

Crime in New York would increase because Batman doesn't have the mobility of Spider-Man so wouldn't be able to stop all the little crimes that go on whilst he's busy.

What

How is the guy with super powers fighting human mooks dead in a week

But the human mook fighting guys with super powers just too slow

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I think people are vastly underestimating Spider-man. This is someone who can go toe to toe against most supervillains with the exception of the really overpowerered ones. What is someone likeTwo Face going to do against that? And villains like Joker are partially effective against Batman because they know how to read him. at the end of the day, Batman is just as psychologically damaged as his rogue gallery, and that is his achilles heel. Spider-man obviously has issues like any hero, but really most of his incarnations are nowhere near Batmans level. He would destroy most of Batmans villains with ease.

Meanwhile in New York, Batman loses a lot of his connections, a lot of his power (as bruce Wayne.) I am sure he still has access to some stuff being the rich guy he is, but he is immediately up against superpowered scientific geniuses. Its a completely different ballgame.

I think a better swap for Batman would be the Punisher, or maybe Daredevil. Punisher in Gotham, now that would be interesting.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Also unlike Batman Spider-Man routinely fails to save his villains when fighting them and sometimes they actually die... unlike Batman who literally would let a litter of puppies burn to save the Joker

Bee.Cups

The Fallen
Without Writer Protection Batman gets his ass kicked, barely survives or dies, and comes up with a plan to take down the villain he's faced with. However if there's a teamup he's royally boned. Pays his rent on time.

Spiderman either sets off the curse and accidentally causes Poison Ivy to start taking venom or something and causes a lot of damage but saves the day in the end too. OR Spidey takes out all the villains really quick while using kid gloves.
OR Joker sets off serious spidey and every villain in Gotham ends up with a ton of broken bones at least. .... AND THEN the curse goes off and Petey has to fight nuclear clayface or something.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
New York has a million super heroes already and Spider-Man has gone on extended hiatus multiple times. Batman would just fill a Daredevil-type role.

Gotham low level crime might go up a bit but probably not much attitude would change in a month. Big names would probably go down
more easily.

Overall, not much would change.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Batman would require prep time for most of Spider-Man's enemies. Also few if any are mortal men.
The only ones not mortal men are Hydro-Man and Sandman.

Some of y'all underestimating Peter's genius.

Also, Peter's a dude who deals with complete maniacs all the time. Norman, Cletus, Kraven, Electro and Mysterio. Otto. All are fucking lunatics and also above the power level of %99 of Batman's rogue gallery.

Imagine what would Batman do against Mysterio. Or even against Rhino. Dude got stomped by Bane.

Spidey has the brains. Not Batman level brains but he still has plenty of em. Plus he has Spider-Sense, web stuff and more.

Never underestimate Peter Parker. Dude's just too good of a super hero.
I'd argue that Peter is smarter than Bruce.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
Have you all only seen the Nolan trilogy or something. DCverse can get pretty fucking crazy when it comes to villains

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
Also unlike Batman Spider-Man routinely fails to save his villains when fighting them and sometimes they actually die... unlike Batman who literally would let a litter of puppies burn to save the Joker

Batman left Joker tied up in a burning building to save Harley last year.

vaa3ppl.jpg

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Also unlike Batman Spider-Man routinely fails to save his villains when fighting them and sometimes they actually die
What Spider-Man villain is currently dead who didn't die of disease or old age?

And now that you've named Carnage, please name one that Peter didn't pay to build a giant confederate monument in honor of.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Marvel NYC is already overflowing with over-powered, top-level heroes and villains most of the time. I'm not sure replacing Spidey with Bats would move the crime rate needle that much. I think putting a brainy, super-powered, mid-level hero like Spidey in a city usually patrolled by street-level heroes, with little to no superpowers like Gotham would have more impact.

Alan Scott is the only heavy hitter i remember operating in Gotham on top of my head. And i guess Outsider's Metamorpho.