• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you still eat them?

• Yes

Votes: 126 22.1%
  • No

Votes: 443 77.9%

• Total voters

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Say if we found out that cattle we ate suddenly became sentinent and could think and speak like in the cartoons would you still eat them?

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
That depends. Since they can speak, form opinions, and have the general intelligence of a person, do they have the right to vote as well?

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
no, but then they would also have to fend for themselves in nature because we wouldn't farm them either.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
I... want to say no...
But I might be a bigger asshole than I think.

Also the word for this situation is sapient iirc. Sentience is just being able to feel/perceive things.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
WaHAJRZ.jpg

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The novel Under the Skin by Michel Faber is related to this idea and an incredible read.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
That depends. Since they can speak, form opinions, and have the general intelligence of a person, do they have the right to vote as well?
What do you mean "depends?" Would you have eaten black people before 1870? Are foreigners and permanent residents on the menu since they can't vote? I'll leave out women before they got the right to vote to avoid the obvious joke.

smcc94x

Jul 13, 2021
Cattle are sentient (able to perceive and feel things), which is one of the reasons I don't eat them.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The novel Under the Skin by Michel Faber is related to this idea and an incredible read.

tldr?

I've drastically reduced meat intake, and the animal cruelty aspect is a big part of that. I pay the premium price for grass-fed animals and brands that (allege) treating livestock with more respect.

Last edited:

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
don't some animals have some form of sentience? I guess the term you are looking Animal Anthropomorphism or Sapience

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
They are, by the definition of the word. Since I still eat them, I am fully aware that this reflects poorly on me.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
What do you mean "depends?" Would you have eaten black people before 1870? Are foreigners and permanent residents on the menu since they can't vote?
Hmm, my previous statement came off a lot more cannibalistic than intended. No, I most likely wouldn't consume the people or animals. Unless it is a formal dinner situation that I cannot get out of without insulting the host.

Oct 25, 2017
I made the decision not to eat anything with thumbs years ago since they are to close to humans and eating another human is weird, so yes I would....but now I might have to reevaluate my stance.

Voltaire

Sep 13, 2018
They are sentient, I think you mean sapient. No I wouldn't I already struggle with what I eat now which is not much. I have an arbitrary line in regards to degrees of sentience and ethical meat consumption, it tends toward pescetarianism but is not quite there yet.

Oct 28, 2017
You definitely mean sapience as sentience should already be enough to qualify for basic rights. Plenty of humans lack sapience including babies and the severely mentally handicapped and they obviously deserve not to be abused and slaughtered so you can enjoy a snack.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
Na, sapience is too precious a resource on the cosmic scale when we have tons of still delicious alternatives like fish and poultry. The media they could produce alone would be some of the most fascinating shit and you'd never know if you're eating bovine keats or porcine kubrick.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno. Maybe it's like in The Restaurant At The End of the Universe and if they could talk cows would literally beg us to eat them.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
So... this threads sickens me a bit. Not targeting anyone in particular, just venting frustration at how ignorant most humans are to the sentience of other life, all because modern society makes it far too easy to create a completely clean break from the food we consume and how it's produced.

COW is an amazing film that released this month in the UK. It's all shot from the perspective of a mother cow, forced to be bred repeatedly, and have her calves taken away from her repeatedly, all to keep her in milk. And all because the majority of humans are too shitty to consider their impact on the environment and this kind of emotional impact on other animals, when we could all easily make the switch to an extraordinary number of dairy alternatives (oat milk is the most sustainable of them all so far, so start there if you want to make a positive change this year, and work down the list of alternatives until you find one that works for you).

EDIT: ^ These are European living standards for cattle too ^ It's significantly worse in the US system.

smcc94x

Jul 13, 2021
Also, cows can already talk, and 'think' by the way.

Just not in our language to the same complexity, and without the same degree of self awareness.

Speciesism sucks.

Oct 28, 2017
Fucking hell. Imagine if a human's consciousness was somehow transplanted into a cow. A quarter of those who have answered so far would still pay to have that person tortured and murdered.

Irishmantis

Jan 5, 2019
I know what you meant OP but no I wouldn't

don't think I could selfishly ever go full Vegan but I'm cutting down on meat as much as possible more for environment reasons

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
If they can speak and have that consciousness, then they should be granted personhood, and I would stop if that was the case for sure.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
I can't think of anything that would get in between me and a juicy perfectly cooked medium rare bone in ribeye steak.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I couldn't, no. I'm cutting down on certain meats already but I feel no guilt eating it when I do because we can procure it humanely. We don't always do so but that's a separate issue entirely. But if the livestock have the intelligence enough to understand what they are and what will happen to them, I don't think it could be done humanely anymore. And therefore I wouldn't want it done.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
I already don't. Even if I wasn't vegan, I've not been huge on beef just because BSE scared me the fuck off of it.