• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
512504.jpg
I don't even know who this person is and what he is referencing but I still gave a hearty laugh. Just the mere thought that something is already related to the topic on hand as if this person has.

kowhite

May 14, 2019
I don't eat horse. I don't eat humans. But…should I eat something that is both?

I don't know…what does it taste like? Is it a red meat? I mean is centaur good? Let's get to the real questions.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming the centaur has human intelligence, I don't think it's cannibalism, but a lot of people would be uncomfortable doing it.

Feb 24, 2018
I was curious about this as I didn't know about that before, so I decided to do some Googling and found this, and now you have to see it too:
It's always weird to me we all kind of ignored she gave birth (or technically they popped out of the hole Perseus made after he beheaded her) to Pegasus and Chrysaor (Pegasus's twin brother who is either just a regular guy or a flying pig).

The again most modern fiction also just ignore Medusa's sisters Euryale and Stheno or that depending on the version's she's either the half-sister to Echidna (the mother of Cerberus, the Sphinx, the Hydra and many other monsters) or Echidna's Granddaughter (her mother being the original Gorgon).

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I assume any monster people or any non human humans that like talk like that be fucked up, like would you eat a kryptonian or a sayian if they died in front of you?
No then you should no eat a Harpy or Lamia if they were a real alien thing

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Unless they're sentient then it's fair game besides diseases
But it still be weird to eat human parts
If they're sentient it's just murder

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
I assume any monster people or any non human humans that like talk like that be fucked up, like would you eat a kryptonian or a sayian if they died in front of you?
No then you should no eat a Harpy or Lamia if they were a real alien thing
well if they didn't die in front of me, and were succulently prepared and served with appetizing garnish...

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
No. Cannibalism is literally eating your own species. Centaurs are a separate species from human so it would not be cannibalism.

That is just the cannibalism aspect, though. The act of eating another intelligent species is a whole different can of worms.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
Whether or not it's technically cannibalism is unimportant. If you can talk with a creature like it's a person, it's basically a person. Don't eat it.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't it by definition not cannibalism? They would be a distinct species.

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
A centaur is a centaur so I would probably eat it.

I have heard horse actually tastes good and I have read human tastes like pork so maybe centaur would be a delicious fusion.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Cannibalism is only important if the people being cannibalized are intelligent imo

So depends on the centaurs

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
For the people saying eat the horse part - you do realize that's eating literal horse ass. Along with horse dick, balls, and hooves.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
This.

Also just to point out that that horse with the top half of a human on top of their chest was only one of the depictions of centaurs in ancient Greek art.

The other common depiction which isn't seen in much common fiction is a full human with a horse's rear end coming out of their anus; even Medusa was depicted like this (why does modern fiction ignore any horse aspect of her?)

main-qimg-f04ea28980601791bfaa3d7039609919-lq

main-qimg-160b1f5b26bf96ee46caefba633ef513-lq

centaur-wings-running.jpg

centaur-greek-mythology-human-legs.jpg
Thanks for the knowledge; I had no idea. Do you think they might have done that as a visual metaphor for athletic or sexual prowess?

Feb 24, 2018
Thanks for the knowledge; I had no idea. Do you think they might have done that as a visual metaphor for athletic or sexual prowess?
The most common theory for Centaurs is that they were the result of non-riding cultures misunderstanding what they were seeing when they saw mounted horsemen for the first time or possibly an ancient horse cult of humans.

Funnily, Saytrs (whom in some early art did have horse legs instead of goat) were the living embodiment of male sexuality and prowess, being the counterparts to the Nymphs (which is why nearly all Ancient Greek Art of Saytrs have them having massive erections). Though with Saytrs, there also very much comedy relief, with Classic Athens have an entire genre of play based around them which were ancient version of Raunchy comedy films (American Pie, Carry On, The Hangover etc).

Melody Shreds

Oct 25, 2017
Terminal Dogma
After finally managing to sleep, I had a dream about a horse eating a centaur... now my mind is plagued by questions like: Is a horse eating a centaur more or less cannibalistic than a human eating a centaur? Would a horse even eat a centaur given they're herbivores? What if centaurs taste like grass?

My conclusion from this post is that the human part of the centaur is 50% human in DNA, therefore eating a centaur is indeed half cannibalism. We share 90% of our DNA with cats too so eating cats is 90% cannibalism. /s

My actual conclusion would be that eating centaurs probably isn't cannibalism since they aren't the same species, and we'll never know how morally frown upon it may or may not be since centaurs don't exist and we don't know how sapient they'd be in reality, or if humans would just find them so delicious that we'd come up with some excuses to keep eating them anyway.

A human definitely ate a Neanderthal at some point in history. That's probably about as cannibalistic as a human can get without actually being a full on human eating cannibal, even more so than eating monkeys or chimps. I wonder how Neanderthals tasted.
The funny thing is all homo species were humans so you would have been able to eat a human without it technically being cannibalism.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
The most common theory for Centaurs is that they were the result of non-riding cultures misunderstanding what they were seeing when they saw mounted horsemen for the first time or possibly an ancient horse cult of humans.
Oh that does make sense. I believe I read that horses were fairly rare at that time in Greece so it must have been a sight to behold. I also didn't know that about the earlier depictions of Satyrs. I should read more books.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia