OP
OP
daTRUballin

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
The real reason why Nintendo dismissed Rare was because it was too big (more than 2000 employees) and Nintendo both wanted to work with small teams and concentrate their management and development focus in Japan. No secret why shortly after Rare's departure they got rid of Left Field, Factor 5 and Silicon Knights and downgraded NST.

You probably meant to say 200 here, didn't you? I imagine trying to fit over 2,000 employees at Rare would not be an easy task. ;)

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You probably meant to say 200 here, didn't you? I imagine trying to fit over 2,000 employees at Rare would not be an easy task. ;)

No, 2,000, indeed. I remember Shikamaru Ninja saying this in the old place back in the day. Rare was big enough to release 2 games per year in their prime, even 3 sometimes. Yes, they were that big, Nintendo didn't wanted to afford it anymore.

OP
OP
daTRUballin

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
No, 2,000, indeed. I remember Shikamaru Ninja saying this in the old place back in the day. Rare was big enough to release 2 games per year in their prime, even 3 sometimes. Yes, they were that big, Nintendo didn't wanted to afford it anymore.

You're probably misremembering. There is absolutely no way Rare was ever that big lol. That's the size of a publisher! Rare was only ever a moderately sized team - not too small, but not too big. I think the highest employee count they've ever had was nearly 300 or so. I think this was around the launch of the 360 IIRC.

Don't get me wrong. 200-300 is still fairly big, but 2,000 is overstating things. If Rare was ever THAT big, we would have been getting like 10 games per year from them lol.

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're probably misremembering. There is absolutely no way Rare was ever that big lol. That's the size of a publisher! Rare was only ever a moderately sized team - not too small, but not too big. I think the highest employee count they've ever had was nearly 300 or so. I think this was around the launch of the 360 IIRC.

Don't get me wrong. 200-300 is still fairly big, but 2,000 is overstating things. If Rare was ever THAT big, we would have been getting like 10 games per year from them lol.

Oops, I need to backtrack on that. It was 200+ alright, I really mispelled the number, my bad.

Anyway, my point still holds on, Nintendo wasn't interested in fully running Rare because of their size. Here's Shikamaru Ninja's post from the old place.

I am basing my argument on the reality that Nintendo would have never done a complete acquisition of RARE for one reason. RARE became over-sized. Nintendo would never feel comfortable solely managing a 200+ external studio. By keeping certain IPs, they can keep the IPs throughout several smaller contract studios (like SONY and Microsoft do).

Oct 29, 2017
It wouldn't have made a big difference in the grand scheme of things, but it would absolutely have done much better and would've done more for the platform.

N64 game sales fell off a cliff after Xmas 1999, and by 2001? The system was completely moribund.

It could've turned some heads, had it been released during the N64's prime; but the generation was already decided come Xmas 1997.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Not really. The N64 already had the best 3D platformers around with Mario 64 and Banjo and a 'mature' killer app in Goldeneye. Not to say it wouldn't have been a bigger hit and popular, but it wouldn't have substantively changed the trajectory of the console.

In the end it was about the cartridge medium/cost and storage capacity with 3rd parties jumping ship that led to disappointing sales. The console didn't lack for stellar top tier games, it just lacked depth in the library and variety largely because of the insistence on carts.

Zero83

Oct 29, 2017
Oslo
Of course any 2000 or 2001 N64 game would have sold more had it been released in 1998. Perfect Dark sold like 25% of what GoldenEye did. How much more in CBFD's case is impossible to say, but like others have said before me, it couldn't have released earlier. I don't think the N64 would have ended up selling more than it did, had the game released earlier. Rare's (and Nintendo's) games were already carrying the system.

Also, I don't get why others would have wanted the late N64 games released on GameCube instead. I know I would have been mad as hell if a game like Perfect Dark, which was hyped for years on a system with barely any games being released, was moved to another system. I wouldn't mind these games being cross-gen, but the N64 desperately needed games. I'm not sure if I'd even buy a GameCube if Nintendo abandoned the N64 before they did.