do you want Buepoint to continue as the remake studio?

• Yes, I want them to continue remaking classic PlayStation games

Votes: 450 55.0%
  • I want them to develop new games w/ established IP (e.g. Demon's Souls 2)

Votes: 100 12.2%
  • I want them to create a new IP

Votes: 268 32.8%

• Total voters

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Yep, keep remaking, there are plenty of great games they could remake. Might try new IPs after they remake Silent Hill 2, MGS and ICO, till then I hope they'll keep remaking

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I want them to become Sony's BC team. Bring a steady stream of PS3 games emulated to the PS5 and work on improving their PS1 and PS2 (and PS4) emulation.

Feels like they are currently mostly a tech and maybe art team so they'd need help or to expand and hire creatives and gameplay designers if they are to create something new. This is of course personal speculation.

Last edited:

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really want anymore remakes, but they also haven't done much else... I kind of wished they'd stick to remasters over remakes at least.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They've been on a pretty steady trajectory, I can imagine it playing out like this:

Port (Titanfall, Playstation All Stars Battle Royale) -> Remaster (Nathan Drake Collection, Gravity Rush) -> Graphical level Remake (Shadow of the Colossus, Demons Souls) -> Gameplay level Remake (their next project) -> New Game

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They are the best in the business at what they do. There'd be no point in buying them if you didn't hugely respect that and want that to continue with the added benefit of increased funds and pipeline improvements.
I could only see a new IP being made if Sony drastically increased the size of the studio and gave them two teams.

Nov 12, 2017
a little suprised that era wants them to just do remakes? their a creative studio if sony ends up backing them they'll have the man power to do just that and work on an original ip you can tell their gamers let them do just that with funding.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why people think it makes sense for them to get bought out on the back of brilliant remakes then have them start making new games.
They're best of class in their niche of remakes and that's where their value is. Sony has plenty of studios making new games, if Bluepoint can make Demon's Souls calibre remake semi regularly then that's what they should do I think.

GeometryHead

Oct 27, 2017
They should keep remaking games. They are great at it, and there are plenty of older games that could benefit from a new take.

And if they take on games from before Gen 7, they would probably have plenty of room to let their creativity loose, instead of just updating the graphics. Something along the lines of the recent Resident Evil remakes would be interesting.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of ps classics left to be remade. I would also like them to start their own ip in addition to the remakes.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
They are the best in the business at what they do. There'd be no point in buying them if you didn't hugely respect that and want that to continue with the added benefit of increased funds and pipeline improvements.
I could only see a new IP being made if Sony drastically increased the size of the studio and gave them two teams.
Yep, their pedigree is in remastering games and technical knowledge. Who knows how good they will be making a own game. Don't get me wrong, if they want to make a own game, let them. Development freedom is key, but I think we as a community are sometimes to early with calling for a own games with praised studios like Bluepoint. As RAD showed it ain't that easy.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I like them to keep doing what they do best. Also if they want to work on a new IP, then thats fine too. I'm in the mind set that if they want to work on their own IP, then they should go for it. If they only want to work on remakes, then who am I to tell them otherwise.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Based on the work they've done, they might actually be able to revitalize old ips which is valuable in and of itself, but if they'd want to do new ips, let them do new ips.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
I want them to do whatever it is they want to do. I trust them with remakes, so that would be my suggestion, haha - but if they want to get into creating their own OPs, I hope they get to do that.

Nov 19, 2019
I think they certainly deserve to make their own game, but selfishly I'd prefer they stick to remakes.

Most remakes are outsourced, budget, or low-effort (for very understandable reasons) OR essentially brand new games (see: FF7R, or RE2). Bluepoint occupies a unique space in this area that I would love to see continue.

May 26, 2018
Should make their own games. Their style has been relatively apparent through all their remakes. They develop like a Sony AAA studio, so let them.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
My preference is new games always so hopefully they would get a chance to make something entirely their own. MGS may be my fav game of all time but do I need a remake? Not really. You can play MGS today in all its PS1 glory and get frustrated at the fistfight near the end, no no my last playthrough didn't frustrate old me why do you ask? So no I'd like them to not continue as the Remake Studio if Sony bought them.

Bathory

Dec 8, 2020
New IP and remakes, we can have both. The remakes probably being Legend Of Dragoon and Metal Gear Solid 1. Only From can do Bloodborne 2 and Demon's 2, so leave Bluepoint out of this.

Buzzkiller_20

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
I'd want them to do what they want to do. Whether that is create new ips or remakes, the decision is theirs to make.

Feb 19, 2018
Why not both?

One team for remakes, one for original games.
This (that option really needs to be added to the poll).
They definitely have talent, would be great to see what they could do on their own with some creative freedom (which Sony mostly provides).
But they are also the best remake/remaster studio on the market and have been since the beginning, so it would be foolish to abandon that.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I want them to remake Soul Reaver, ditch the boring time travel bollocks and make it a simple revenge fable.

And don't butcher Raziel by giving him hamster cheeks or anything like that.
Fuck, no, time travel shenanigans is what makes Legacy of Kain story unique.

Soul Reaver 2 has some of the best dialogue in any game ever made, and it's all intrinsically connected to the intricate story- and time travel has been the series' staple since Blood Omen.

Kingasta

Avenger
Jan 4, 2018
They are a remaster/remake studio, the devs signed up for that and they know that that's where their talent will go, no talent is being wasted there and the takes here are baffling to me.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
All of the above. They've not really established themselves as a studio that can even succeed with a new IP, but I would like Sony to give them the freedom to try. If it fails they just go back to being a remake studio.

As a middle ground I imagine they learn a lot remaking a game as far as gameplay systems and design goes. So making sequels to games they've remade seems like a good middle ground. It lets them flex their creativity but within the confines of something we all now works...I think a good way to test the waters for this would be for them to release the final archstone as DLC for demon's souls.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda, yeah. They haven't missed yet. As long as they keep that level of quality, it's a win-win.

And honestly, that's probably a better place to be for a developer to be than churning out sequel after sequel, making the same game over and over and over again. At least Bluepoint gets to do something different every time.

Legacy of Kain would indeed be a winner, but there's five games in that series.. that's not really the sort of thing Bluepoint excels at.

aceldama

Jun 8, 2019
All Bluepoint has ever done is prettying up old games - they've got no experience/skills in actually designing games from the ground up. Why on earth would Sony acquire a studio to then pivot to taking the risk of them doing something they've never done before? If Sony acquired them it would be to continue doing what they've already shown they're good at.

Bluepoint making original games is a ResetEra fantasy. Which is kind of funny because a load more old games getting remastered is also a ResetEra fantasy.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
All Bluepoint has ever done is prettying up old games - they've got no experience/skills in actually designing games from the ground up. Why on earth would Sony acquire a studio to then pivot to taking the risk of them doing something they've never done before? If Sony acquired them it would be to continue doing what they've already shown they're good at.

Bluepoint making original games is a ResetEra fantasy. Which is kind of funny because a load more old games getting remastered is also a ResetEra fantasy.
The fact that they are so experienced and talented on the technical side already puts them above a lot of studios, giving them a bigger budget and increasing their size in order to make a new I.P is not a crazy thought or anything, every studio has to start somewhere, if this is what they want to do(which is the case accorindg to some rumors) why stop them? And why not help them since they showed more than once to be talented and effective?

jmsebastian

Nov 14, 2019
I don't want Bluepoint to be a studio owned by Sony, and I want even less for Bluepoint to touch any more existing properties. But Sony does seem intent on tarnishing the legacy of some of their most impressive games, so Bluepoint becoming Sony's remake factory is probably what we're going to get and the industry will be worse off for it.

aceldama

Jun 8, 2019
The fact that they are so experienced and talented on the technical side already puts them above a lot of studios, giving them a bigger budget and increasing their size in order to make a new I.P is not a crazy thought or anything, every studio has to start somewhere, if this is what they want to do(which is the case accorindg to some rumors) why stop them? And why not help them since they showed more than once to be talented and effective?

Puts them above a lot of studios Sony would have no interest in a acquiring.

Sony are currently growing trusted internal studios who already have full spectrum experience of making IP into two team studios. It makes more sense to focus on getting those teams right than bringing bring a whole new, inexperienced, team on board to do the same thing.

If Bluepoint want to make new IP then I think they'll have to stay 2nd party to do it because publishers won't want to take the risk on a studio unproven in that sphere.

Jul 24, 2018
Sure, their remakes are among the better remakes out there in my mind so I'd like to see more modernized takes on old games.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
I don't want Bluepoint to be a studio owned by Sony, and I want even less for Bluepoint to touch any more existing properties. But Sony does seem intent on tarnishing the legacy of some of their most impressive games, so Bluepoint becoming Sony's remake factory is probably what we're going to get and the industry will be worse off for it.

Nuclear take

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
The good thing about Sony is that they let their studios do what they want to do. If Bluepoint want to do a remake of something then let them do it. If they want to do a new IP then do that.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
If it means getting a Metal Gear Solid remake I'm happy for them to keep doing remakes.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Buyout or no, I expect they'll keep doing remakes in the short to medium tern, since they are very sucessful at that, and they are the best in the biz in that niche.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Yes. Sony's studios love to create new IPs and they should bee free to do so with Sony having a legacy studio. BP could be scaled 3x to allow WWS to push out new IPs.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
i say let the best remake studio in the world keep doing what they do best.

i'd much rather see M2 on a preservation project than announce a new ip for instance