J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Trump already won in 2016 and we Americans as a collective no longer deserve the benefit of the doubt and everyone should treat us like we have a long way to go to earn respect back already. He's done the exact damage we all felt was coming, and he's done it with open and powerful support from within the nation, as much as we love to bring Russia into the conversation. I have no doubt Russia pushed for this knowing what would happen, but if anything they just exploited the weaknesses and dark sides of America rather than plant anything new.

sandyph

Oct 31, 2017
that you guys finally get to see the United States that us the rest of the world have been seeing for decades

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Trump is America and America is Trump.

You have to remember that till your dying day. Stay politically engaged and vigilant against these people always.
Nothing that wasn't already known, and nothing that people of color (particularly Black people), have been saying about this country for generations. Only it will no longer be as hidden and downplayed as it's been the past 40 years.

While, yes, the voting system is busted, but what's more busted is the fact that our country is built on principals of slavery and oppression. It's baked into the DNA of this place. It permeates every facet of it, from governmental, to judicial, to social, to economical. A broken electoral system isn't the root, it's a symptom.

Definitely agreed here. I'm always reminded how John Stewart hit it right on the dot in 2015 about Trump being America's "Id" (and also a slight case of things that didn't age well).
theweek.com

The Daily Show is ecstatic about Donald Trump 2016: 'America's id is running for president!'

The latest Speed Read,/speed-reads,,speed-reads, breaking news, comment, reviews and features from the experts at The Week
If most candidates try to stick within acceptable limits, Trump says whatever he wants, drawing on some primal place in his psyche, and perhaps ours, too, collectively. "It's amazing," Stewart said. "America's id is running for president."
In the last part, The Daily Show gets a little primal and sophomoric, too, with about two minutes of orgasm jokes. You can watch all or part of the Trump 2016 welcome party below. Peter Weber

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Nothing that wasn't already known, and nothing that people of color (particularly Black people), have been saying about this country for generations. Only it will no longer be as hidden and downplayed as it's been the past 40 years.

While, yes, the voting system is busted, but what's more busted is the fact that our country is built on principals of slavery and oppression. It's baked into the DNA of this place. It permeates every facet of it, from governmental, to judicial, to social, to economical. A broken electoral system isn't the root, it's a symptom.

Thank you Fig. Perspective is a hell of a thing because the responses in the thread are varied and mostly valid. But I think the premise question is frankly shallow.

It's too slow of a realization . Why cant America be all of these things proposed before 2016? Why can't it be these things because of 2016?

How was it not all these things in 2020 alone?

Why do we need another BunkerBoy election for this country's failings to be a proven point?

TBH that mentality is more alarming than any reelection. It's truly a different world for some people. Some say better late than never, sure. But they just now aware the siren at full alert, and it's been an even longer time since it was set off to begin with....

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
President Trump, alongside racism, colonialism, fascism, and imperialism, is as American as apple pie.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
W got a second term after running an unapologetically evil government for four years. What could a Trump re-election say that wasn't already said as recently as 2004?

That we're capable of electing a racist war-criminal that doesn't believe in science? We're way past that.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
If that truly comes to term, I'm gonna have to lay of social media. As it is right now it's already taking a toll - another 4 years will be hell.

For the US it would mean many road blocks that would take generations to get rid of again to even be on the doorstep of being progressive again. It would most likely mean another US war somewhere around the globe. It would most likely mean a brain drain for the foreseeable future.

The US would stay the modern late Roman Empire analogy it has become for way longer and might just burn down in the process.

Imo of course but for me another Trump win is way worse then the first one.

Oct 26, 2017
Our education and information system is broken.

I remember in 2004 having a debate with someone about the Iraq War. We vehemently disagreed with each other, but the discussion was based on reality and agreed upon facts. I recently talked with someone who was voting for Trump. They weren't even a MAGA cult follower, but every reason they gave me for why they were voting for Trump was based on false information. And the mere mention of ABC, NBC, NYT, CBS, and etc was all dismissed as "Fake News". She said Trump was "the man of the people" and that Biden's family was too corrupt and he would just enrich himself to China while Antifa would destroy every small business. I kid you not.

I think the term "Fake News" is one of the most dangerous things that entered our lexicon. Once Trump co-opted the term, it's been used as a cage to make sure 40% of the country never believe anything outside of the conservative bubble. The worldviews have now become so far apart, half of the country is literally incapable of having a discussion with the other half.

I really hate hyperbole, but if Trump wins we will blatantly have minority rule with the majority disgusted with Trump but incapable of stopping the slide to authoritarianism. Something will have to give. Trump has literally made about 55-60% of the country his enemy and has no qualms with using the state or his supporters to attack them. That's not sustainable.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Definitely agreed here. I'm always reminded how John Stewart hit it right on the dot in 2015 about Trump being America's "Id" (and also a slight case of things that didn't age well).
theweek.com

The Daily Show is ecstatic about Donald Trump 2016: 'America's id is running for president!'

The latest Speed Read,/speed-reads,,speed-reads, breaking news, comment, reviews and features from the experts at The Week

Jon Stewart is nearly always on point. I definitely miss his commentary on these matters. And yeah, Trump is the physical embodiment of America's roots, and the American people put him in office, one way or the other. Some directly (by voting for him), and some indirectly (by not voting at all in 2016). Personally, I think, whether Trump wins or loses on Tuesday, this whole shitshow shouldn't be allowed to fade away or get swept under the rug. Fuck that. It's more than about time for America to own up to its bullshit, take a long, hard look in the mirror, and actively be better. It's a systemic problem, so it's not easy, but that also doesn't mean it's not worth trying to rectify 24/7.

Thank you Fig. Perspective is a hell of a thing because the responses in the thread are varied and mostly valid. But I think the premise question is frankly shallow.

It's too slow of a realization . Why cant America be all of these things proposed before 2016? Why can't it be these things because of 2016?

How was it not all these things in 2020 alone?

Why do we need another BunkerBoy election for this country's failings to be a proven point?

TBH that mentality is more alarming than any reelection. It's truly a different world for some people. Some say better late than never, sure. But they just now aware the siren at full alert, and it's been an even longer time since it was set off to begin with....

That's definitely the part that troubles me the most. Ultimately, it boils down the fact that Americans simply don't care. At least as far as it doesn't inconvenience them, specifically. And when a caricature like Trump appears, spouting the rhetoric that they were too cowardly to admit out loud, they flocked to him like a champion.

Yes, the election was close, and Hillary won the popular vote by about 3 million votes, but that's not really making the point people think it is. 61 million people out of a population of 328 million are still racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, Islamophobic, or at least okay with racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, Islamophobia. And the remaining eligible voter population just didn't care at all. And some still decided that they'd sabotage the future of this country by voting for candidates that, yes, may have had policies and positions that may have been beneficial to the country, but, realistically, never had a shot in hell at taking the Presidency in this two party dominated system (while I totally support wanting to stand by your ideals and not throw a vote Hillary or Trump's way, keeping him from becoming President in the first place should have superseded that for the sake of protecting our country).

It's not like we didn't know who Trump was, his history, his lack of any kind of empathy for people other than himself. They weren't conned and tricked by his "charm," or "cunning, and then understandably shocked when he turned out to be a shit human being and President. They just didn't care. That apathy and lack of empathy is what upsets me the most. People don't care in this country. If they aren't affected by it, they feel no sense of obligation and duty to stand up for those that are affected. No sense of humane obligation, I should say.

I truly feel like it's our duty as human beings to look out for one another, especially those that are less fortunate than we are (and that comes in all variations, big and small; we all have our struggles and problems, but even the smallest token of kindness goes a long way). As a Black man living in America, the 2016 election was like a kick to the balls. Just one more reminder that people don't give a shit about my people, or any other marginalized group that would suffer under a Trump Presidency.

It's the main reason why I'm going into this election with the expectation that Trump is going to win. I don't have enough faith or goodwill in the American people to do right by us. Despite that, I do hope to be proven wrong Tuesday.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
That he won to begin with, that a significant amount of millions of people will vote for him again, against their own self-interest, says a lot about America already.

Mr. RPG

Oct 25, 2017
If Trump wins again, hopefully Democrats will stop nominating such terrible candidates.

I don't think Biden is gonna lose though.

Last edited:

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I was tempted to place a large bet on Biden today but three things stopped me. The first is that Donald is obviously going to try and cheat his way to winning and second, there is a large group of dummies who will actually vote for him and third, the American voting system is really fucked and he could still win even if he loses the popular vote

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I think it mostly says that America has started thinking of America like they do every other country - They don't care about anyone who lives in it.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Oct 25, 2017
It will signal to me to pay far less attention when it comes to politics and try and focus on preventing my own country from becoming a tinpot version of the US, which sadly isn't too far off.Which is a shame as it's fascinating and quite inspirational in some ways despite being backwards in others.

Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy to me that the president has so much power in the US, regardless of the president, if Democrats win the Senate they need to work to devolve wide reaching power back to the states, and limit the presidents power to overrule them.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of land and people living on it really resent people living in urban/metropolitan areas.

It's crazy to me that the president has so much power in the US, regardless of the president, if Democrats win the Senate they need to work to devolve wide reaching power back to the states, and limit the presidents power to overrule them.
Bingo. The legislative branch has relinquished a lot of power to the executive branch since the union was formed.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Our education and information system is broken.

I remember in 2004 having a debate with someone about the Iraq War. We vehemently disagreed with each other, but the discussion was based on reality and agreed upon facts. I recently talked with someone who was voting for Trump. They weren't even a MAGA cult follower, but every reason they gave me for why they were voting for Trump was based on false information. And the mere mention of ABC, NBC, NYT, CBS, and etc was all dismissed as "Fake News". She said Trump was "the man of the people" and that Biden's family was too corrupt and he would just enrich himself to China while Antifa would destroy every small business. I kid you not.

I think the term "Fake News" is one of the most dangerous things that entered our lexicon. Once Trump co-opted the term, it's been used as a cage to make sure 40% of the country never believe anything outside of the conservative bubble. The worldviews have now become so far apart, half of the country is literally incapable of having a discussion with the other half.

I really hate hyperbole, but if Trump wins we will blatantly have minority rule with the majority disgusted with Trump but incapable of stopping the slide to authoritarianism. Something will have to give. Trump has literally made about 55-60% of the country his enemy and has no qualms with using the state or his supporters to attack them. That's not sustainable.
Neal Postman predicted this decades ago.

www.theguardian.com

My dad predicted Trump in 1985 – it's not Orwell, he warned, it's Brave New World

The ascent of Donald Trump has proved Neil Postman’s argument in Amusing Ourselves to Death was right. Here’s what we can do about it

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if he loses, unless it's by a COMPLETE LANDSLIDE, you gotta realize that there's a super high chance he would've won if there had been no covid shit AND he didn't completely fuck up the response.
Think about it, fucking TRUMP could've been(yeah I'm considering he's not winning this week) re-elected if there were no COVID-19.
It took a GLOBAL PANDEMIC the world has never seen and a completely incompetent response for Americans to take him out of office. Nice fucking job

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I'm going to go to sleep, this possibility better not come true when I wake up to see the election results tomorrow.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Real question, if we win the Senate and House but Trumps wins.

Do we impeach and remove January 22nd?

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
W got a second term after running an unapologetically evil government for four years. What could a Trump re-election say that wasn't already said as recently as 2004?

That we're capable of electing a racist war-criminal that doesn't believe in science? We're way past that.
Yep, I still remember W Bush's re-election. Nothing the US desires surprises me.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It reaffirms that the systems work exactly the way they were intended and if America is to overcome them it's going to take a lot of work and will power.

in my mind I believe that if Trump wins then basically we're looking at the fall of a modern empire. It's happened before historically and now we'll get a textbook example of it happening in modern times. Was always going to happen... just didn't think it would be this soon

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
Even if Trump loses there is far too many people who blindly believe 2+2=5 and you can't convince them otherwise and far too many who don't care or only care about themselves. Not sure how you overcome that but lets hope something starts with Biden.

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
It means its role in world politics is essentially finished.
It means an enormous part of the population is racist and stupid beyond hope.
It means even when a good president comes along in 2024, it will take decades to bring the US back in level terms with world's civilized countries.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The constitution is broken and we need to fundamentally revamp it so A) Elections represent the will of the people and B) There are actually rules and laws instead of politicians just acting a certain way because it's tradition.